Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

quote:

Bloodfest changes to a new button under some condition that gets a two-step follow-up combo.

:letsgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Extremely curious what the gently caress that's going to be

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Solar Bahamut's special attack is the Piledriver. Taiyooooooo!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Curious if those DRK changes mean Delirium will get five charges now. I'd be down with that much at least. Also, it'll be nice to clean up my BLM hotbars a bit.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah I'm going to have to swap around my BLM hotbar but that's a welcome change.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I only played BLM to level it up to 90 but that was my only complaint about the job, that the fire and ice buttons don't just change into each other

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Datamined skills from the benchmark in an easier to view format than a zoomin benchmark camera: https://imgur.com/a/nfuo4HK

There's some stuff in there I didn't see in the benchmark. Found the viper skills to be lightly surprising, just didn't expect them to have a 2nd dual wield combo (or maybe it's one long 6 hit combo :tinfoil:). Pict skills look a little better than from the initial reveal which is nice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Failboattootoot posted:

Datamined skills from the benchmark in an easier to view format than a zoomin benchmark camera: https://imgur.com/a/nfuo4HK

There's some stuff in there I didn't see in the benchmark. Found the viper skills to be lightly surprising, just didn't expect them to have a 2nd dual wield combo (or maybe it's one long 6 hit combo :tinfoil:). Pict skills look a little better than from the initial reveal which is nice.

compare the viper trance rush move to the one in the preview video just to see how far these effects come from a first pass

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
SGE 80 : So is the right read of things is that Guildivain went off the deep-end with the loss of his wife and began his unethical experiments then or am I giving him too much credit?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

SGE 80 : So is the right read of things is that Guildivain went off the deep-end with the loss of his wife and began his unethical experiments then or am I giving him too much credit?

That's how I read it as well. Or they were already doing research along those lines and that pushed it into "any cost is worth getting results".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXIV makes it clear scientists should never get married.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

ImpAtom posted:

Wilfsunn and Bloewyda frown at you in disagreement.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

ImpAtom posted:

The couple in the gathering role quests were cute

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

The couple in the gathering role quests were cute

They are student and teacher and therefore are Problematic(tm).

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

You know, I'm probably not the first, but it's really insidious how each one of the Unsundered basically managed one of the sides. Emet Selch builds an empire to stop on people's faces, Lahabrea goes to their marginalized victims and tells them they should totally start summoning, and Elidibus guides any heroes in 'managed opposition' and possibly uses them if they actually need to cool stuff down to avoid another 13th shard situation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Shogeton posted:

You know, I'm probably not the first, but it's really insidious how each one of the Unsundered basically managed one of the sides. Emet Selch builds an empire to stop on people's faces, Lahabrea goes to their marginalized victims and tells them they should totally start summoning, and Elidibus guides any heroes in 'managed opposition' and possibly uses them if they actually need to cool stuff down to avoid another 13th shard situation.

After all, the only way to engineer a conflict where you definitely win is to be able to play every single side.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's a real nasty trick.

I like how Elidibus pretty much gives up on trying to play the WoL and the Scions into their plans by the end of Stormblood because they've proven themselves to be far too effective at the role of opposing them. Even then, new players are usually left thinking, "What is Elidibus' deal anyway?" even as he tries to go for the killshot because he'd already given his usual spiel to them as "The Emissary" and up until that point they're still trying to figure out what that means. And what it means is he was just playing them but he's just decided that he can't afford to play around any more.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Elidibus also takes over Lahabrea's job after the latter gets his dumb rear end killed

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FuturePastNow posted:

Elidibus also takes over Lahabrea's job after the latter gets his dumb rear end killed

And he's also just worse at it is the funny part.

Lahabrea might be hyper divorced and going mad but he got the job done for 13000 years

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Also, let's be serious; at first the writers hadn't figured out what Elidibus' deal was, although they did a truly masterful job of spinning it into something coherent.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lahabrea might be hyper divorced and going mad but he got the job done for 13000 years

The poor kid's just trying his best

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, let's be serious; at first the writers hadn't figured out what Elidibus' deal was, although they did a truly masterful job of spinning it into something coherent.

Well yeah.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Why does his plan seem to involve a bunch of people doing completely unrelated tasks with no control or oversight?"

Yoshi-P staring off into space as he remembers every lovely job he's ever had

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah, I appreciated the journey in the 5.x patches from "what is Elidibus's plan here?" to "oh God this is the stupidest messiest plan, what the gently caress" to "oh, this is a stupid messy plan because Elidibus is desperate and scrambling and also mentally disintegrating right in front of us"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I appreciated the journey in the 5.x patches from "what is Elidibus's plan here?" to "oh God this is the stupidest messiest plan, what the gently caress" to "oh, this is a stupid messy plan because Elidibus is desperate and scrambling and also mentally disintegrating right in front of us"

It really says something when the salvage effort for part of the story isn't 'this part of the villain's plan secretly makes sense if you see the whole picture', it's 'this part of the villain's plan KNOWINGLY makes no sense because the person in charge of it is nonfunctioning as a human being'.

I don't think there was any world where they could've made Elidibus look smart, so you have to lean into the fact his plan is a dumpster fire.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I assume that was the writers' plan all along, though? It doesn't feel like they were spackling; it feels like they were deliberately writing a story about the last gasp of the Unsundered, with the last survivor also being the one least equipped to work alone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the fact that they were able to spin the level of gold they did with the poo poo straw they were given should be the sort of thing they teach in schools.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Antivehicular posted:

I assume that was the writers' plan all along, though? It doesn't feel like they were spackling; it feels like they were deliberately writing a story about the last gasp of the Unsundered, with the last survivor also being the one least equipped to work alone.

No, we basically know that the final Ascian story was a salvage job, and wasn't what was on paper in ARR and earlier; it's why Lahabrea's Praetorium speech is at best loosely accurate. The main uncertainly is when the 'final' story was on paper for them to build to and foreshadow, as well as some of the backdrop stuff. Like, were Solus and Amon always Ascians even back in the earlier drafts, or was that a later idea?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Right, I just meant the 5.x patch story of "Elidibus tries his best to swing the First back to calamity, but his best is... not great." Obviously the Ascian storyline from 1.0 - 2.0 on has outlandish amounts of spackle, and it's amazing it works as well as it does.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just blew through ARR in about four weeks on an alt and it's actually pretty drat amazing at how well this maps out to where the Ascian poo poo ends up going. It's a bang up job and pretty incredible that it wasn't planned out more in advance. The 14 writing team is very solid.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Their style has very much been "leave dangling threads", especially noticeable early on, so they've had material to work with, even if they don't always pull it off 100%, or actively prune some old threads. ARR jettisoned stuff that had been introduced to the story after YoshiP took over in 1.18 - we're probably never going to hear about Oha-Sok again, for instance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

No, we basically know that the final Ascian story was a salvage job, and wasn't what was on paper in ARR and earlier; it's why Lahabrea's Praetorium speech is at best loosely accurate. The main uncertainly is when the 'final' story was on paper for them to build to and foreshadow, as well as some of the backdrop stuff. Like, were Solus and Amon always Ascians even back in the earlier drafts, or was that a later idea?

I am pretty sure Solus was planned from the start to be an Ascian, there's a lot of indications even in ARR that the Garleans are being manipulated and guided by the Ascians. The whole Emet Selch thing was probably either not planned at all or only loosely planned, but they had already introduced Ascian body controlling by then and everything.

Amon on the other hand is absolutely a retcon, he was just a reference to FF3 in the FF3 raids, but the story they set up for him was incredibly easy to work into the main story quest once they decided he was an Ascian.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Hogama posted:

Their style has very much been "leave dangling threads", especially noticeable early on, so they've had material to work with, even if they don't always pull it off 100%, or actively prune some old threads. ARR jettisoned stuff that had been introduced to the story after YoshiP took over in 1.18 - we're probably never going to hear about Oha-Sok again, for instance.

Amberscale Rock will remain a weird out-of-the-way landmark that doesn't even have a sidequest attached to it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure Solus was planned from the start to be an Ascian, there's a lot of indications even in ARR that the Garleans are being manipulated and guided by the Ascians. The whole Emet Selch thing was probably either not planned at all or only loosely planned, but they had already introduced Ascian body controlling by then and everything.

Amon on the other hand is absolutely a retcon, he was just a reference to FF3 in the FF3 raids, but the story they set up for him was incredibly easy to work into the main story quest once they decided he was an Ascian.

I don't remember, when did Emet-Selch show up in the story? Lahabrea of course was all over ARR, and Elidibus poked his head in for that "hey I'm an ally you just don't believe me yet" scene with Minfilia. My google-fu is weak to find the Convocation meeting where everyone's snarking at each other to see if he has name or personality yet. Even the youtube video claiming to have "all Ascian scenes" which includes ones where Thancred has the necklace (first one's after Ifrit, when being sent to the Sylphs) seems to have ignored it for some reason.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bruceski posted:

I don't remember, when did Emet-Selch show up in the story? Lahabrea of course was all over ARR, and Elidibus poked his head in for that "hey I'm an ally you just don't believe me yet" scene with Minfilia. My google-fu is weak to find the Convocation meeting where everyone's snarking at each other to see if he has name or personality yet. Even the youtube video claiming to have "all Ascian scenes" which includes ones where Thancred has the necklace (first one's after Ifrit, when being sent to the Sylphs) seems to have ignored it for some reason.

He's physically present for the Ascian roundtable, but doesn't speak and just has a generic model. The first time he properly appears is in 4.x, with his big 'The Empire was founded by Ascians' speech.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cleretic posted:

He's physically present for the Ascian roundtable, but doesn't speak and just has a generic model. The first time he properly appears is in 4.x, with his big 'The Empire was founded by Ascians' speech.

Okay, so the last of the Big Three to get a character by a significant margin.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The answer to your question is post HW/Stormblood.

Which we already kinda knew. ARR was a hail mary, and HW was part of that hail mary. There was zero long term planning at this point because they weren't even sure ARR was going to land ( and when it did, they weren't sure HW was going to land ). That's why HW is so disjointed and disconnected from the overarching Ascian narrative. They basically just needed -content-, so they put together a big ol' storyboard of the PC loving off to Ishgard for a bit and learning more about it. The Omega/Dragons/Final Days business wasn't retconned back in until EW. HW was being started on right around ARR launch window. You can see most of this in the Noclip documentary on FF14.

Post HW they finally had a chance to breathe, and they did so. They had a general idea for Stormblood to continue the liberation/world exploration arc, but were also starting to piece together ideas for the Ascians. This is where most of the formative work was done on what would become Shadowbringers. You can see this with Elidibus getting a lot of screentime, the talk of the First, and the setup for what caused Garlemald to build the way it did. The pre StB short story drops were also pretty deeply involved with fleshing out Solus and the influence he had on Varis/Zenos/Garlemald as a whole. You would have needed to stretch to make the connection, but they were laying the groundwork.

Fandaniel on the other hand, uh. Well Endwalker had some writing challenges due to Covid. Lots of them. The original post it note plan was to do a Garlemald expansion first where we get to see the fall of the nation, mixed in with figuring out what the remaining Ascians were up to. They canned this due to a variety of reasons and went for the finale route so they could maneuver away from the Ascian story into a new arc they were setting up. Which is why Endwalker has a few major holes in it's script, and Meteion/Fandaniel got introduced the way they did.

Supposedly they did this so they could preplan the story for the next three expansions. So it'll theoretically be more coherent and less thread based? We'll see!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ImpAtom posted:

One of the things that made me laugh at the beginning of EW was that there was a pre-EW fan theory that Amon was Emet-Selch. People were just working off of crumbs like "boss arena is a theater" and "uses a snap animation," but they were on the right track with Amon being an Ascian! They just got the wrong one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It wasn't just that, it was also the dialogue from Azys-Lla in late-5.x where a researcher complained about Amon suppressing research into undoing Tempering which led to people thinking (correctly) that the implication was that he was an Ascian, and (incorrectly) thought that because Emet-Selch is a theatre kid then he was probably Emet. So they identified the breadcrumb trail, but lost it almost to the destination.