Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, it was pretty clear that an Ascian had to be involved *somewhere* in the Allagan civilization and as far as who it could have been that left Xande (pre-clone), Amon, or someone new/just being Ascians influencing things as Ascians. I did appreciate that Amon didn't get recruited until well into the Allagan excess era to just help push over what already existed; with these kinds of "evil plan behind the scenes" stories it can be an easy trap to just make all of Man's evils their fault. Granted we don't know that Emet *wasn't* Xande or someone else at the founding of the dang thing, we know he set up Garlemald and it's easy to assume that was his MO every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

Granted we don't know that Emet *wasn't* Xande or someone else at the founding of the dang thing, we know he set up Garlemald and it's easy to assume that was his MO every time.

We more or less can rule out Xande. Xande's soul was captured at his death, and used to reincarnate him. If Emet-Selch was just piloting a corpse, that wouldn't make sense, and if Xande was just possesed for his entire life, and then his soul got captured, and then he got reincarnated like nothing happened, that also doesn't make sense.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We more or less can rule out Xande. Xande's soul was captured at his death, and used to reincarnate him. If Emet-Selch was just piloting a corpse, that wouldn't make sense, and if Xande was just possesed for his entire life, and then his soul got captured, and then he got reincarnated like nothing happened, that also doesn't make sense.

Oh right, yeah.

Anyway, "it was Ascians" was pretty clear, but how or whether it would ever actually come up was a question mark.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hell, it could have been practically ANY Ascian who helped plant the seeds that grew into the Allagan Empire.

Lahabrea was a man of science, and the Allagan Empire existed long enough ago that he may not have been whacked out on body-hopping and prolonged exposure to the Heart of Sabik yet.
Plus, the Heart of Sabik was used in the construction of the Ultima Weapon, an ancient relic that even the vaunted scholars of ancient Allag failed to crack.

It would have been in his interests to have a culture of super-science established to try to continue researching the thing, even if their best didn't measure up to the Unsundered World, it still would have accomplished a lot more than if he had tried to study it entirely on his own.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think Emet-Selch did take credit for Alag, and he did know how to operate the Crystal Tower without help.

It was definitely his project at some point, but as who and what capacity is the question.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Doesn't the Emet we see in Amon's recruitment flashback look more or less like Hades? I assumed he and any other Ascians actively influencing Allag were just doing it under no-name identities, or influential figures of the time who weren't preserved in the historical record.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Antivehicular posted:

Doesn't the Emet we see in Amon's recruitment flashback look more or less like Hades?

If you mean 'white', yes, we only really see his lower face.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They said that the 3.x patches were when the writers sat down and figured out exactly what the Ascians' plan was and outlined the rest of the story. That's when we got the Warriors of Darkness and found out about the shards. So they were making it up as they went before that.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Based on what Emet has said I always assumed he had a somewhat significant hand in guiding Alag. But I read it as more of a behind the scenes role compared to Garlemald.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

It kind of fits the usual MO. Emet influences an empire to do empire thingies. And Lahabrea probably was in Merycidia whispering in Tiamat's ear about how they can bring Bahamut back, totally, as well as the nations/species that called the Triad.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Emet could've come to them as a "void creature" to give directions, no way they'd know the difference.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Dollars to donuts Emet Selch was hanging around Mhach, and probably Lahabrea in Amdapor. Could have been Elidibus too, if we see Amdapor as 'heroic'

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Azubah posted:

Emet could've come to them as a "void creature" to give directions, no way they'd know the difference.

Yes, which is why they would have used him to power a toaster. He was probably Just Some Guy in Allag, and going so far as to personally become the emperor was the kind of thing he only started doing after countless calamities started getting to him.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Yep, considering he took a wife and kid, and by all accounts was really fond of his kid, and considered it notable enough to yell about it to the Scions, I imagine that it was just loneliness getting to him. Lahabrea and Elidibus were both falling apart, the Sundered Ascians were kind of copies of copies of copies put on the fragment of their previous soul. It might even be that he hadn't initially intended it. His role as Solus started as 'just some guy'. Do we know if his marriage predated his rise to power?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There was apparently a bit of a doozy of story-related material found in the benchmark datamining, namely a table of the 7.0 Duty Supports.
Putting it at a separate link, don't want anybody to mouse-over reveal the picture by accident.

Spoiler at your discretion.

The listing is Tanks on the left, Healers to the right of those, and DPS on the the far right. The names shown are already known from their IDs, so the numbers are ones which aren't yet known (but the frequently listed ones can be deduced).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
110 clearly Wuk. 114 or 111 is Krile, and I'm guessing the other is Erenville?

lines fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 30, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I would assume 111 is Krile since it looks like it can double-duty as either healer or DPS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hogama posted:

There was apparently a bit of a doozy of story-related material found in the benchmark datamining, namely a table of the 7.0 Duty Supports.
Putting it at a separate link, don't want anybody to mouse-over reveal the picture by accident.

Spoiler at your discretion.

The listing is Tanks on the left, Healers to the right of those, and DPS on the the far right. The names shown are already known from their IDs, so the numbers are ones which aren't yet known (but the frequently listed ones can be deduced).

This is pretty funny after the rumors G'raha wouldn't have a presence in the expansion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This is pretty funny after the rumors G'raha wouldn't have a presence in the expansion.

They commonly show people in the opening trailer who won't be in the expansion.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I guess nobody from the new zones like us

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Midnightghoul posted:

The WoL is a hero. Traveling around the world, making one AND ONLY ONE friend everywhere they go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Hey, I wasn't the one making the argument

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I blame G'raha. Cat is clearly too clingy and it scares people off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, I wasn't the one making the argument

Meant it as collaboration, not contradiction.

Hellioning posted:

I blame G'raha. Cat is clearly too clingy and it scares people off.

I tend to flip-flop between loving the character and being one of those who's put off.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So the first 6 are story dungeons, which means the whole crew isn't back together till that one level 100 dungeon

I'm mainly curious where Alphinaud is going for most of the expansion

Midnightghoul posted:

Well there's quite a few numbers there that we straight up don't know

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I guess this is true if you include, like, every male Mystel in the Shadowbringers opening.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Taco Cat isn't even invited to Tural, he's just following his adventure bff

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

lines posted:

110 clearly Wuk. 114 or 111 is Krile, and I'm guessing the other is Erenville?
My assumption is that Krile is both 111 (healer) and 114 (dps).

Midnightghoul posted:

My assumption is that the one-off numbers are NPCs from the new zones that can only join for that dungeon.

Blockhouse posted:

So the first 6 are story dungeons, which means the whole crew isn't back together till that one level 100 dungeon
I think line 7 is a trial. There's seven NPCs listed with Y'sh and G'raha able to flex based on what you are playing. Then line 8 would be the final MSQ dungeon where other NPCs are occupied again for whatever reason.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

iPodschun posted:

My assumption is that Krile is both 111 (healer) and 114 (dps).

My assumption is that the one-off numbers are NPCs from the new zones that can only join for that dungeon.

I think line 7 is a trial. There's seven NPCs listed with Y'sh and G'raha able to flex based on what you are playing. Then line 8 would be the final MSQ dungeon where other NPCs are occupied again for whatever reason.

Oh good call I forgot that was a possibility

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder how they're going to kill Urianger

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

FuturePastNow posted:

I would assume 111 is Krile since it looks like it can double-duty as either healer or DPS

Pictomancer is DPS, so she'd be 114 in this list. (Maybe also 111 if that's her as healer, though I don't recall any precedent for her taking that role, and as far as we know, Pictomancer isn't a support DPS either.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gtrmp posted:

Pictomancer is DPS, so she'd be 114 in this list. (Maybe also 111 if that's her as healer, though I don't recall any precedent for her taking that role, and as far as we know, Pictomancer isn't a support DPS either.)

Krile was a healer before, that was her entire thing. She was a dedicated healer and she wanted to learn to be able to fight so she could help more.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. And she's part of team healer in Zot and participates on the first couple trash pulls until the two groups separate. She could easily be a multi role character.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder how they're going to kill Urianger

Needing to disguise him they put him back in his gross ARR clothes and he just sublimes into the lifestream immediately

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I'm mainly curious where Alphinaud is going for most of the expansion
My speculation is he either sidelines himself a lot as political aide/liaison or he joins up with the other team(s), at least temporarily. He's only around for 91, 95, and Trial 2, while Alisaie is with us for 93-99+Trial 2 (only skipping Trial 1).
Given that 116 is only around for 93 and Trial 1, and Trial 1 is the only time Thancred and Urianger team up with us, I wonder if 116 is Koana so we get to spend some time getting to see his perspective, since he's not the candidate we're backing.
Also, as they mentioned at FanFest that the story might feel like two distinct halves, and 95 is the only time we have the Twins in a dungeon, Alphinaud might also have an interest in finding out more about the peoples of the north and Solution Nine even if he's potentially not going to formally back Wuk Lamat.

Trial 1 is especially interesting to me in having the most unknown IDs - possibly it's all the succession candidates? Though, I'm also sure that there's something missing or incorrectly listed on that table. If 111 and 114 are Krile in Healer and DPS configurations, why are there 3 healers and only 3 DPS for a Trial? If you play as Tank/Healer there's no slot filler to give you 4 DPS.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 1, 2024

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Hogama posted:

My speculation is he either sidelines himself a lot as political aide/liaison or he joins up with the other team(s), at least temporarily. He's only around for 81, 85, and Trial 2, while Alisaie is with us for 83-89+Trial 2 (only skipping Trial 1).
Given that 116 is only around for 83 and Trial 1, and Trial 1 is the only time Thancred and Urianger team up with us, I wonder if 116 is Koana so we get to spend some time getting to see his perspective, since he's not the candidate we're backing.
Also, as they mentioned at FanFest that the story might feel like two distinct halves, and 85 is the only time we have the Twins in a dungeon, Alphinaud might also have an interest in finding out more about the peoples of the north and Solution Nine even if he's potentially not going to formally back Wuk Lamat.

Trial 1 is especially interesting to me in having the most unknown IDs - possibly it's all the succession candidates? Though, I'm also sure that there's something missing or incorrectly listed on that table. If 111 and 114 are Krile in Healer and DPS configurations, why are there 3 healers and only 3 DPS for a Trial? If you play as Tank/Healer there's no slot filler to give you 4 DPS.

Urianger's got a dps version in Mothercrystal, so maybe he still does. But G'raha shows up as separate people for separate roles so that's probably not right? I'd need to see this same chart but for EW to really know

Draxion fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 30, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I do like that this implies we're running with a mostly consistent small crew all.expansion and the two you always have are the two that need the most screen time

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's going to suck if Wuk is exclusively a tank role and can't pull double duty in another role. Because I do all MSQ as tank so it'll mean I'll never see her in a dungeon.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I do like that this implies we're running with a mostly consistent small crew all.expansion and the two you always have are the two that need the most screen time

I do like this, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah my guess is Krile and Wuk will be the two companions with us the bulk of the time