Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Did Eureka Orthos already die? My queue times have been insane since I resubbed a month ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i had like a 45 minute queue that never popped about three weeks after it was added. i’m under the impression nobody queues on their home server anymore and everyone is traveling to one dc

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Did Eureka Orthos already die? My queue times have been insane since I resubbed a month ago

The thing about Eureka Orthos is that, because its floors 21-30 are actually a little bit difficult (I wouldn't even call them hard, just like, a 3/10 as compared to PotD and HoH's 0.5/10), it's not the go-to powerleveling tool that the other deep dungeons are.

If you want to do the whole stretch, the best angle is to join the deep dungeons discord server; it's one of the few pieces of serious team content that didn't get centralized with DC travel, so you won't need to do that, but you probably will need to find a team that way rather than through the actual in-game party matching. From what I can tell, at least on Crystal EO seems to be the most popular of the three.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 1, 2024

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

drat, I guess I can see that it's slightly less braindead than the other deep dungeons but I still find it way more chill than bozja grinding. Might check out the discord, thanks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lord_Magmar posted:

But Lahabrea went rogue at precisely the time he did, and we now know he was pretending to cause a calamity whilst actually trying to empower the Heart of Sabik and revive Athena probably.
“Lahabrea was just a really dedicated Wife Guy” is a hot take that I am absolutely here for.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Bruceski posted:

My take on it is more that they got twisted up in his head rather than deception, but any interpretation is kinda reading between the lines of what was left unsaid. "He let himself get infected with the memetic virus he tore his soul in half to avoid because he felt every tool available was necessary for the task of the Unsundered" is kinda the last concrete bit of info we have. Whether that made him more obsessive and reckless in his task or actually changed his goals is more ambiguous.

Wait, as far as I understood, Lahabrea reunited with his soul at the end of the Pandaemonium situation in the Unsundered world, when he didn't know there was going to be a sundering. I figured he was just 'Cleary, by separating myself, I've made myself unable to do What Must Be Done', I'm going to take it. I'm sure I can handle it. It's not like I'll be hanging around for thousands of years without any serious oversight'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shogeton posted:

Wait, as far as I understood, Lahabrea reunited with his soul at the end of the Pandaemonium situation in the Unsundered world, when he didn't know there was going to be a sundering. I figured he was just 'Cleary, by separating myself, I've made myself unable to do What Must Be Done', I'm going to take it. I'm sure I can handle it. It's not like I'll be hanging around for thousands of years without any serious oversight'

Unless I mixed something up it ended with that part of things trapped in a jewel (or something, it's been a while) and his decision was not to destroy it and keep it around just in case.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bruceski posted:

Unless I mixed something up it ended with that part of things trapped in a jewel (or something, it's been a while) and his decision was not to destroy it and keep it around just in case.

Nah, he recombines in a post-Panda cutscene and immediately goes a little bit crazy

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lahabrea rejoins his soul, and his clone self brought forwards from the memories of the past Athena has agrees that in the circumstances he absolutely could have been the monster we knew him to be in our time period. He basically says he would indeed use every means and method at his disposal to do his job.

Then his rejoined self in the past is shown to have not destroyed the Heart of Sabik, on the basis that it might be needed some day.

Thus by the time we reach the modern era he has gone fully round the bend and been exposed to the Heart for a long time. Which possibly reignited his feelings and agreement with Athena, leading to his ARR rogue actions.

Much like how the scientist who was a shard of Ericthonius is being controlled through the Heart.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Then his rejoined self in the past is shown to have not destroyed the Heart of Sabik, on the basis that it might be needed some day.

That's probably what I mixed up, then

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ultimately it is backfilling a weird lore question. Because what we learn of the Ascians in Heavensward and beyond suggests Lahabrea going rogue in the name of Zodiark in ARR makes zero sense. Ultima Weapon also cannot be the correct type of calamity for The First, as it is not particularly light aligned or capable of mass aetheric stasis.

They did explain it somewhat with Lahabrea having gone crazy over the years due to constant bodyhopping and using living people instead of corpses, as he has to fight the soul of the body he is wearing for control the entire time like a stone against a grinder.

But Panda also explains that he likely was never talking about Zodiark in ARR, but has enough plausible deniability that Emet misses things whilst being a nearly dead Solus zos Galvus, and Elidibus lack of memory about Pandaemonium means he also misses it. So after Lahabrea is foiled he falls back in line with the other Ascians Zodiark plans rather than try his own thing again.

Additionally, Zodiark and his followers outside Lahabrea have never used Ultima, nor the chant. But they specifically make Athena use the chant in her raid fight and her and her creations use Ultima. So when Lahabrea in ARR is talking about his god's power, and notably never genders said divinity outside the implication that God is male and goddess is female, he is talking about Athena.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ultimately it is backfilling a weird lore question. Because what we learn of the Ascians in Heavensward and beyond suggests Lahabrea going rogue in the name of Zodiark in ARR makes zero sense. Ultima Weapon also cannot be the correct type of calamity for The First, as it is not particularly light aligned or capable of mass aetheric stasis.

They did explain it somewhat with Lahabrea having gone crazy over the years due to constant bodyhopping and using living people instead of corpses, as he has to fight the soul of the body he is wearing for control the entire time like a stone against a grinder.

But Panda also explains that he likely was never talking about Zodiark in ARR, but has enough plausible deniability that Emet misses things whilst being a nearly dead Solus zos Galvus, and Elidibus lack of memory about Pandaemonium means he also misses it. So after Lahabrea is foiled he falls back in line with the other Ascians Zodiark plans rather than try his own thing again.

Additionally, Zodiark and his followers outside Lahabrea have never used Ultima, nor the chant. But they specifically make Athena use the chant in her raid fight and her and her creations use Ultima. So when Lahabrea in ARR is talking about his god's power, and notably never genders said divinity outside the implication that God is male and goddess is female, he is talking about Athena.

It would also explain why it seems like he was one of the only ones that was really inerested in trying to get rid of Hydaelyn.
Like, obviously the Acians were all antagonistic towards her since she was the thing standing between Zodiark and all of the rejoinings, but it seems like Lahabrea was the only one that seemed keen on actually trying to kill her, rather than just work around her seals.

If Emet-Selch and the other Ascians had really wanted to, I imagine they could have attacked her directly en masse and probably have won, especially if they timed it right since by her own admission, her power ebbed in and out like the tide.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

the_steve posted:

It would also explain why it seems like he was one of the only ones that was really inerested in trying to get rid of Hydaelyn.
Like, obviously the Acians were all antagonistic towards her since she was the thing standing between Zodiark and all of the rejoinings, but it seems like Lahabrea was the only one that seemed keen on actually trying to kill her, rather than just work around her seals.

If Emet-Selch and the other Ascians had really wanted to, I imagine they could have attacked her directly en masse and probably have won, especially if they timed it right since by her own admission, her power ebbed in and out like the tide.

Yeah, Lahabrea in ARR is trying to overthrow Hydaelyn, pretending it's for Zodiark but really he intends for Athena to ascend as the goddess of the new world. Just like she wants.

Edit: Also this discussion has given me the thought of a hypothetical Pandaemonium Ultimate where Lahabrea successfully revives Athena in ARR and the narrative implications of that (like how DSR shows what happens if Hauchefaunt survives, although probably not with the retread of the canon storyline that DSR includes at the start).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I kinda expected the XVI event to be a little meatier. I remember the XV event having a fair bit to it, but this one was just three quests and it feels like we barely hang out with Clive.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I kinda expected the XVI event to be a little meatier. I remember the XV event having a fair bit to it, but this one was just three quests and it feels like we barely hang out with Clive.

I mean, it felt to me like the XV event: you hang out for a bit with the crossover character, talk to some XIV NPCs, have a battle with some new mechanics and then they go back.

This one is better since we get 2 dogs out of the ordeal. And you can pet the mount!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Weren't there also a few FATEs?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I still think it was a mistake to make Lahabread one of the three unsundered imho but that's how it went

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I thought we would get a new trial in crossover event and not just solo duty, something like Rathalos and we would earn some tokens to get orchestrion rolls or whatever, but I guess this is fine too

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

And you can pet the mount!

very important detail

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I was at some point thinking about Emet-Selch and Minfilia both being in the First Lifestream at about the same time, and that it is not beyond the possibility that they might exchange words. About what Emet-Selch realized, and Hydaelinn might have shared with her, but in comparing them, I found another really nice parallel.

Emet-Selch's story is well known. He's been spending thousands of years doing things that would be against every principle he held sacred, all for the sake of performing his duty that he held just as sacred. By the end, he's torn between not wanting to give up on those counting on him, while also doing things that invite someone to end him.

Consider Minfilia. She had a tragedy happening to her, throwing her way in turmoil and mortal danger since she was a girl, and she's been fighting the good fight ever since. She had built a group, with people that relied on her, loved her, and that she loved. But for the sake of avoiding the death of a world, she was torn away from them. But not only that. For 100's of years, time and time again, she would 'bless' a girl, of about the age she was when her peaceful life was lost. And she would throw them into endless battle that would eventually kill them. And I have the impression that usually, they took the alternative choice to Ryne, and just opted to lay down the burden and let Minfilia be in command. Minfilia who knows how much Thancred suffered from Lahabrea's possession compares herself to him directly to Thancred.

But she can't stop. Not without dooming the First and all the girls in it. And then her old friends show up, and Thancred, understandably begs her to stay, to come back, to be alive again. And of course, it is an option. It would just cost Ryne.

But in the end, Minfilia accepts, and even welcomes the new generation from taking over. And might even be glad to lay down her burdens at that point. And I like to think that Emet Selch and Minfilia might eventually have a kinder conversation with each other than either one of them would have expected.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

in many respects minfilia gets to be an unsundered parallel who basically entirely wins. you got the emet-selch stuff. and then also like elidibus, she offers herself to hydaelyn, then returns when an intractable conflict between warriors of light threatens to lead to a calamity, but unlike elidibus she successfully resolves it and gets to see her friends at journey's end even if she doesn't live. and then ALSO like lahabrea, she lives by hopping through a succession of bodies and possibly taking over their personalities, except she ultimately ends that cycle and frees ryne from it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

At first I thought it was a nice but impossible headcanon cause I had the impression Emet and Hythlo only managed to keep a semblance of themselves due to being Ancients (having more aether and those 2 specifically being good with afterlife stuff) but rechecking the Atiascope reminded me Minfilia's spirit seemed more coignant than the others you find there (she makes multiple pathways and even forms her body one last time, whereas the others help you once and are described as memories) so it's possible Minfilia and Emet actually had one final talk.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I think souls in the Lifestream are coherent.

That said, they've said that Emet's opening monologues for each EW zone are him speaking with Venat in the Lifestream, so it's something of a comfort to know that he got to talk things through with people posthumously (and that Venat herself got a bit of closure before her cessation.)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jetrauben posted:

I think souls in the Lifestream are coherent.

Agreed, I also just think that 99.9% of them are perfectly content to just chill and wait for their turn in the soul recycler because it's not everyday that someone rides an elevator into the afterlife to seek them out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think the souls kind of... degrade... as their memories and personality fade away, faster or slower depending on the strength of the soul and strength of the connection it still feels to the living world. All the souls you meet in the Aitiascope are still strongly connected to you, friend and enemy.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

FuturePastNow posted:

I think the souls kind of... degrade... as their memories and personality fade away, faster or slower depending on the strength of the soul and strength of the connection it still feels to the living world. All the souls you meet in the Aitiascope are still strongly connected to you, friend and enemy.

I think it's less "degrading" and more "letting go of surface attachments to old lives to help them prepare for their next incarnation."

Notably, Elidibus appears to be reincarnating immediately after his final conversation with you.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think a soul can choose to release immediately (we also see Asahi drag Amon straight down the reincarnation hole), but they can't choose to hold on forever. Elidibus in that case also used up every last bit of his strength to charge up the tower's time travel engine one last time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

FuturePastNow posted:

I think a soul can choose to release immediately (we also see Asahi drag Amon straight down the reincarnation hole), but they can't choose to hold on forever. Elidibus in that case also used up every last bit of his strength to charge up the tower's time travel engine one last time.

Asahi's dragging him to the very depths so they're even further cleansed than usual I believe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I figure they wash away but maybe it takes a while.

And despite it being observed fact that the lifestream exists and has the aether of the dead in it, there are still beliefs in a religious afterlife where souls go for eternity, and I still like to think there may be more out there than we’ve seen. The folks of Tural probably have their own gods we have yet to learn about.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

One thing I'm figuring is that after the initial Rejoinings, most Sundered Red Masked would probably be recruited from the Source, since they'd be more 'aether dense' and might be able to pull off more stuff than those from the Shards?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I figure they wash away but maybe it takes a while.

And despite it being observed fact that the lifestream exists and has the aether of the dead in it, there are still beliefs in a religious afterlife where souls go for eternity, and I still like to think there may be more out there than we’ve seen. The folks of Tural probably have their own gods we have yet to learn about.
Sharlayan knows this, but Sharlayan doesn't like to share notes more than they have to.

It is a little complicated, although there seems to be a strong suggestion that it's possible for a soul's imprint to be preserved (job stones), so you could have your soul's "information" go to some afterlife even if the underlying material is recycled. Not too much different than the basic theory, really, it's just that soul energy is a physical fact in Eorzea Etheriys the world of Final Fantasy XIV

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asashi and Fandaniel went to start in an all-Eorzean version of The Good Place.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Nessus posted:

Sharlayan knows this, but Sharlayan doesn't like to share notes more than they have to.

It is a little complicated, although there seems to be a strong suggestion that it's possible for a soul's imprint to be preserved (job stones), so you could have your soul's "information" go to some afterlife even if the underlying material is recycled. Not too much different than the basic theory, really, it's just that soul energy is a physical fact in Eorzea Etheriys the world of Final Fantasy XIV

We also see in the Myths of the Realm raid series that the various elemental heavens really exist; maybe they were created by the Twelve as combat arenas (Rhalgr says he made his giant statue just to fight us on, and cool elaborate combat arenas are probably a natural law of Final Fantasy worlds), or otherwise as bases of operation, but it seems plausible enough that some elements of deceased souls could end up there.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've always figured that the heavens/hells are just what your soul perceives as its being scrubbed clean in the Lifestream. Live a good life and you get to chill with the Twelve for a while. Live a bad life and you get to read the official forums until your consciousness mercifully fades away.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, the afterlife being a matter of perception is pretty plausible too. I suspect these are topics we're not going to get clear canon answers for, since I'm guessing the game is going to be stepping away from deep metaphysics at least for the 7.x release, but there are several reasonable ideas.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I imagine a large part of it is that once you get into the lifestream, you probably don't care all that much.

Like, your soul gets deposited and you realize it isn't...I dunno, big puffy clouds and cherubs...but you're still feeling good floating around all un-corporeal and decide that this is fine too.

Or you're like Asahi/the evil caster spirit from P9 and you just fume and marinate in your anger and bitterness, largely unable to do anything about it, barring something completely out of the ordinary like a pack of adventurers traipsing through the afterlife and riling things up, until you either get over it or fade away.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nessus posted:

I still find this the funniest reveal in Endwalker, possibly the entire game. It's like finding out that Switzerland's government just happens to know that Hell is real and we all go there.

And that that's not even the big reason they're neutral, it just happens to be an additional thing that they know.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Doesn't the Fisher Studium questline also imply that Sharlayan is aware of Time Travel?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

DanielCross posted:

Doesn't the Fisher Studium questline also imply that Sharlayan is aware of Time Travel?

Yeah they request some stuff that could only possibly come from Elpis, and when you manage to get it they're just casually like "The Studium's known about this form of time travel for awhile, but I wasn't allowed to disclose it to you. So I'm glad you were able to figure it out as well." Sharlayan is so wild.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DanielCross posted:

This is a localization thing. In English they react to you time traveling like they maybe could've done it the whole time, in other languages it's a much vaguer 'well we had this as a functional theory but we didn't expect you to prove it'.

But between that, Pandaemonium and to a more tangential degree Alexander, I think the safe read is that Sharlayan might have a workable knowledge of how to do time travel and how it works if you do, but it's too difficult and probably dangerous to bother doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Honestly I originally interpreted that as “the Scions published about the events of ShB” but it seems that wasn’t the intent and they instead were trying to keep it under wraps. Still, everything about Alexander and Pandaemonium is presumably Sharlayan scholar knowledge.