Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Elidibus is a bit complicated because he himself was a catalyst for summoning a primal, who then got splintered off or splintered off himself because "his mission" as Emissary required him to intercede again. He can't not do it as part of his personality, even before he became one with Zodiark. So he's an Ascian who is also a primal. And either way, this makes him vulnerable to getting vacuumed up by a auracite piece a mile tall. :allears:

BTW, do we have a running tally of the vacant Ascian offices now? Assuming nobody was raised to re-fill the positions, it seems like the Convocation is now missing Lahabrea, Emet, Elibidus, Igeyorhm, Mitron, Loghrif, Nabriales, and Emmerololth. With Fandaniel on the stage, that just leaves Pashtarot, Altima, Halmarut and Deudalaphon unaccounted for. That is not a lot of teleporting jerks left. (I also wonder if we'll finally see which one Travanchet was/is?)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

MelvinBison posted:

I just realized it was supposed to be the Sun. I looked at that stone in the cutscene wondering why it wasn't a constellation. :v:

Yes. Being the member most concerned with the world at large, Azem's place in the constellation system inherited from FFXII and Tactics is that they represent the Sun itself. I was wondering how that'd work.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

also wrt the zenos discussion in the main thread: frankly I'm also just happy to have an excuse for Matt McCooey to come back and consume ham through a microphone. Fandaniel is an absolute delight to listen to and I am looking forward to the sympathetic villains of Shadowbringers being contrasted by dudes who are just, straight up, no excuses, no sympathy, absolute loving monsters and played by talented actors who are having a ball with the production.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Is there anyone who has done 3.5 but hasn't done the Eden stuff yet? I'm curious if they actually adapt for that or if Thancred and Urianger just get to exist in plot time for it. I know the plot namedrops Gaia if you've already done it.

I have not finished it yet and it didn't come up and Gaia was not namedropped; I'll let you know if they vanish midway once I pick Eden up again.

Relatedly, I am very eager to see how Ryne and Gaia wrap this up, now that it's just the two of them with no dads. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm sorry, his name is Fan Daniel, lmao

It was always one of the goofier Scion of Light names.

I can't wait for some to have to say "Deudalaphon" multiple times in a sentence. :allears:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So speculation about Fandaniel before this patch was all over the place, besides him having taken control of Asahi's body because that was revealed pretty early by data-miners. His mask makes him out like an ascian, but the story implies he's not an unsundered one. So I guess the ascian plot lives on, just maybe not one related to the original goal of Emet/Elidibus/that other nerd?

The general idea is that something along the line of a bit less than half a dozen "sundered" Ascians remain - by current count, it should be Fandaniel, Deudalaphon, Pashtarot, Halmarut and Altima, with question marks as to whether the Unsundered were able to appoint a new Loghrif or Mitron before going kersplooey themselves. With no Unsundered left, the remaining sundered Ascians are basically on their last lives; if something happens to them, that's it, the plan is 100% over and Zodiark is donezo. So the next expac will likely detail the efforts of the survivors to bring about an end to things one way or the other, because the plan is now well and truly in tatters, and it's do or die time for what Ascians remain.

For 1.x vets, I also suspect there's a nonzero chance we'll finally get some face time with our old buddy Travanchet again at long last.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nibble posted:

Maybe I’m overthinking things, but are we totally sure Elidibus is gone forever? We previously trapped Ascian souls in white auracite to hold them, but then still had to destroy them. G’raha used the Tower itself as if it were auracite, he says, but wouldn’t that mean Elidibus is still in there somewhere? Or is it different because he was a primal and not really his original self?

Elidibus is absolutely 1000% scrambled beyond hope of recovery. He is just free, incoherent aether floating in the tower now, and the tower had no way of recording what was left of his memory (unlike the modified auracites your buddies made). An Ascian consigned to auracite is a Dead Motherfucker.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the last story in the arc revolving around the primals Hydaelyn and Zodiark, not necessarily the last one taking place on the planet Hydaelyn. I think there's enough crumbs of locations outside the Three Great Continents to fill a couple more expansions after that.

At a bare-rear end minimum, people are gonna want to visit Meracydia. We've had so many lore crumbs of possibilities for fantastic adventures over there that it almost feels like a waste to not go.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The move to London really did improve the acting on the whole; I'm not quite sure offhand who they have as casting director but they've done an amazing job assembling a cast that clearly gives a poo poo.

I actually wish we got to hear more from them outside the game; the JP side does cast interviews etc. sometimes, but we only rarely get to hear from the English cast (tho they did get to pop in to an online con some months back, and Rene Zagger got interviewed by a XIV fan mag) and we've never heard from them in an official capacity, which seems wild given how popular the game's now gotten. In particular, I'd love to know what the folks who've been on the train since the cast switch (Colin Ryan, in particular, has been doing The Alphinaud Gig consistently in every single patch since 3.0) think of how wild this ride's become.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Farg posted:

do people really not get that the big venat scene was metaphor and not a 1:1 sequence of events how they happened

Yes, and I'm sort of getting Mad at some of these takes and, god help me, I am getting moved to Post. A bit less because discussion moved on slightly, but still. I am actually a bit upset that more people are (perhaps willfully) not getting what the game is doing narratively and the point it is making about the Ancient society and its attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

100% Welpingway