Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Incredible patch for Big Hats, wol looking down and then dramatically raising their head a whole lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The way this game loves dramatic parallels, I definitely expect Ga Bu to be coming back real soon, foreshadowed and mirrored by Halric's story in Shadowbringers. And thats gonna be a big time Alisaie story

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The starshower is basically like how they put a volcano on the cover of Dianetics to restimulate the distant memory of the time you got flown across the galaxy and dropped in a volcano

The echo is you achieving the state of clear, and a warrior of light is an operating thetan

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Depends if youre talking about the weapon quest or the WEAPON quest

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eox posted:

I wonder, does having Y'shtola in the party let Thancred use cartridge abilities? I assume that's how it'll work when we start doing dungeons in the Source.
She throws him a sack of cartridges in the finale, when they go to do the Mor Dhona scholar FATE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

The final n3 boss will simply be a raid action of a button that has a 20 second timer. If anyone presses the button, the raid wipes
If no one presses it everyone gets a gear drop, if one person presses it they get the minion but everyone else dies

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, Elidibus isn't a leader any more than Levi is the leader of the Sahagin. They summoned him for a purpose, he has enough of a will that he got a big head about it, but the other Ascians we see don't ever seem to ever put him in high regard. There is like a total of one or two cutscenes where anyone listens to what he has to say, and those were years ago

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

So who is Biden

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Can't wait until Lahabrea comes back in 7.0

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

His abilities sure, they made him to be able

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm still not sure what those outfits are meant to convey. I was pretty sure they were time travellers in the pre waking sands cutscenes where they're hanging out in the background and going "hmm interesting"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

FFXIV is in no way shape or form poorly written enough to do the dumb cliche "Surprise the big good you thought was good was secretly evil all along"
Hydaelyn hasn't been explicitly good for like, 2 expansions now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

I do wonder if they're ever going to leverage the fact the Norvrandt is temporally desynced from the Source. Kinda hard to do with an MMO, granted, but it would be neat to see it go back into fast-forward and thus the aftereffects of everyone's efforts there.

Even just a few extra years of fast forward could be neat, suddenly those kids we inspired are young adults doing their own thing (and the other folks could still use the same models, anime time rules are in place).
They already did leverage it, when the warriors of darkness go back to the first in 3.x and then 100 years pass off screen before synchronizing for MMO purposes. I don't really see them pulling it out again without it being super weird, except maybe in the distant future like how they did with some of the FF11 rhapsodies stuff

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm sort of okay with hildibrand being over--it felt a bit like they were running out of ideas--but he better have a cameo on the moon
It would be extremely funny if the last time anyone saw Hildibrand was him falling through a portal that's an obvious adventure hook, and then just never followed up on, I agree.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

so is the story just done with Ryne after shb or do we find a way to get her to the source? i was kind of looking forward to see her grow alongside alisaie and alphinaud
Why would they do that, the first is her home and you spend all of Eden helping her make it a better place, and making her more comfortable in that place. That'd be really cruel to her to move her to the source at this point. Her story is pretty much wrapped up by the end of Eden but I'm sure she'll still make cameos at some point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anytime Zenos was on screen in EW I was just thinking about Death Stranding. (DS spoilers)How Higgs in DS is a character that is extremely aware that he's in a video game, but existentially upset that he's in a pussy package delivery game and not a manly ultra violent murder simulator, and is constantly trying to egg Sam and the Player into sharing in his nihilism. Similarly, Zenos is preternaturally aware that he is a video game antagonist, and it totally works within the context of SB where the entire expansion is structured around getting strong enough to beat up Zenos, and a good fight is all he ever wanted. When he comes back, the game has moved on from that and he doesn't really have a place in it, and his superfluousness is something that a lot of people reacted to, and weirdly, increasingly, Zenos himself reacts to. In DS, things do not end well for Higgs (of course, in DS Higgs is playing Meteion's role, a physical character standing in for an abstract idea because you can't punch The Concept of Nihilism), where in EW even other NPCs have started to ask Zenos why he's still in the game and he is actually somewhat bothered by that. He's arguably not even a nihilist by the end of it, he just wants to have a nice fight with his friend.

Honestly, EW and Death Stranding are extremely complementary games, thematically, while also kinda mirroring each other as a game that came out immediately before the pandemic and one that was very much informed by being produced under covid restrictions. So the people that wish there was more death and suffering in a game that is otherwise pretty life affirming and even cheerful considering, doesn't sit well with me. Can't think of something I'd possibly want less in 2021, than that. Other than maybe the WoL dying at the end.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TGLT posted:

As for the more death and suffering thing, if you're talking about the end section, I think the problem is if you raise the stakes like that and invoke the specter of death then pretty blatantly undermine that you do even more damage to your story than never having done it all. It was real dumb that the game handed you the ability to "give form to the formless" then have characters go "oh no I've become formless, this must mean I am definitely dead! Please act as if I am very dead." I'm glad none of the characters died but it's a real emotional momentum killer when they do stuff like that.
No I'm talking about the people that wanted the End of Days to last until 6.3 so we got 9 months of Return to Thavnair instead of half an hour

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Characters dropping out one by one to give the protagonist one last boost is one of the oldest narrative devices in history, heck this isn't even the first Final Fantasy to do it, idk what to tell you. It is a heroic sacrifice in so much as, they're removing themselves from the hero's journey, who ultimately ends up at the end with the help of their friends but all alone, however the game makes it explicitly and repeatedly clear that they aren't killing themselves.

Its pretty much, just this scene from Advent Children, where all of Cloud's friends help him out but could never follow where he's going
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRoC_SF7YgE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

yknow id been thinking they would probably do something to try to give a fresh start to new players for the next expansion. and it seems like they may not. but i was wondering if this is a good way they could have their cake and eat it too and was curious if other people would find it off-putting
I don't even think they need to go that far, just break the MSQ and start a new one in 7.0, if we're going literally anywhere outside of Eorzea and aren't accompanied by a scion then there's barely any need to reference anything that's happened before. And then a new player would have the option of playing ARR at level 1 or skipping to 90 to do the new thing (whether they include a 90 skip in the box or not idk). Pretty much how expansions worked in FF11.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NPC dialogue flags work off quest state and not level though right? So long as they never did anything in Eorzea again to make NPCs need to change their dialogue, it'd work just fine. Old MSQ NPC dialogue would still just reflect wherever you happen to be in the old MSQ.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I should also say that I'm working off the assumption that, the 7.0 MSQ will not continue into 8.0, god willing. Its time for vignettes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Begemot posted:

Yeah, honestly I think a lot of people think Hydaelyn is still some immaculate goddess who we're supposed to see as a moral paragon of goodness. That bubble was popped back in Shadowbringers, and she wouldn't be apologizing to us here if she didn't think she did something wrong.

Crystal mom did a bad! It's okay to admit it!
Had a good time looking at old posts itt, for one lots of good predictions that were essentially accurate (and lots of bad ones too), but also from a year ago

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Clarste posted:

My understanding of the game's time travel mechanics is you can NEVER change you own past, you either create a time loop or spin off a new timeline entirely if it can't work. But either of the latter are possible depending on what you change or don't change.

Edit: Venat calls the time loop a "convergence" and acts like it may or may not happen.

Yeah this. Remember any time it comes up G'raha talks about how upset he is that he abandoned the other timeline. The eighth calamity still happened, and those people still exist, but they wanted to go back to give the world an opportunity for a better future even if they couldn't personally benefit from it.

That's echoed by Elidibus before you go to Elbis that more or less, our fight is in the here and now in this timeline, and there's nothing that you can do in the past to change what is currently happening. Its a good dodge for the themes of EW because it sidesteps getting into dumbass time travel arguments to say like "no you actually need to face reality, you can't avert suffering by running away from it in a time machine"

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 14, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wow its almost like the ancients were in the exact same kind of world ending scenario as every other dead civilization we learn about in EW, where they became entirely fixated on an unattainable goal that would have resulted in them destroying themselves. Weird

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It is buckwild for someone to have seen the ending of this game, and think that Emet-Selch and Venat are going to keep hanging out in the MSQ. That scene is as close to the ancients literally passing the torch to the sundered people as it could be without an actual torch changing hands.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Everyone who went into this expansion expecting it to validate their hatred of characters got eternally BTFO and I am very happy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you want more Scion interaction, I highly suggest talking to them before, during, and after every single quest in the game, they have a lot to say.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Prove that the other person is wrong, about a video game, on the internet?
Yeah. Problem?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

She's definitely at least 30, she was a teenager when she lived in the colony and that was abandoned at least 15 years before 2.0 + however long its been since then.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

F'lhaminn in 1.0 is a wild child that gets, incredibly serious when she suddenly becomes a mother (due to her killing Minfilia's dad). That's a big part of her story in 1.0

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PoorWeather posted:

Like, this is what I'm talking about. This is a weirdly hostile and judgy thing to say to somebody in a discussion about a video game plot. "Desperately wish it to be"? What?
Would you say its an invalid reading of your text for me to pick up on some desperation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The weirdest callback for me was when the Ragnarok is taking off, they used the exact same imagery of primals flying through the sky as the 1.0 intro.