Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

derra posted:

Working through eden now. Killed it, but whats the vine mechanic on the first boss?

The grabbers? If you run to the opposite side of the arena the tether breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

thancred+ran'jit+innocence, I think.

I need to run that again (will when my guildies do it), I think when he said "I will do anything to protect her" at the start of the battle he had both Thancred and Ranjit's voices.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The final Eden boss's proper nickname is Captain Primal, right? I was disappointed they didn't go full Primals of the Round like I suspected.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

He was an amalgam of Ryne's two dads and her dragon grandpa.

Yeah, but for most of the fight he has just one voice, though distorted. I think I heard double for the opening line and will need to check when I run it again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Either way it was a good fight

We had the dead trying to figure out what was going on and relaying that info to the living. The first two I figured things out pretty quick (though Cloud I still don't know how much leeway some things have, as a bard I didn't need to stand still), the fourth had people who knew the fight marking themselves for follow the leader, that was the one where I got to figure it out on the fly like I enjoy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For Emerald weapon, when he puts the plusses and Xes on everyone, do you need to avoid each other when they first land, or can you group up to make bigger safe spots afterward?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, but for most of the fight he has just one voice, though distorted. I think I heard double for the opening line and will need to check when I run it again.

Checked, I was wrong, he just has one voice throughout.

I am really happy with the last Eden fight. I'm a big fan of when they do simple mechanics and layer them, and in this case that's exactly what happens and each combo needs different reactions. My only gripe is the Shiva junction which has everyone group up and then puts AoEs on them pretty much guaranteeing folks are getting venn'd no matter what they try.

Also, for anyone interested in little details, when destroying the memories you fight monsters that are hanging off the boss's body, and they seem to vanish for that phase of the fight. At least the thigh caged giants do, didn't get a good look at the leg angels or shoulder lions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol that Alphinaud wrote a treatise on political philosophy

Review board: "Your central thesis doesn't seem to account for power-hungry coup d'etats."
Alphinaud: "Who would do such a thing? I'm rich with a bunch of inherited power and haven't felt the urge to usurp anybody."
Dadphinaud: "Just let him have this. Trust me, it's like talking to a wall."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

Huh, really? I thought it was a possessed state, given she compares herself to an Ascian.

I think the Minfilias are born with a connection to her and their own sense of self, but Minfilia could (and possibly did to others) take over fully and permanently.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I honestly thought we were going to get hopeful gestures but nothing concrete. Instead Ga Bu is fully lucid, but they say "oh, we can't guarantee anything for others, Ga Bu was fighting it" so you figure that's where it's going to end. Nope, we revive a Patriarch and start overtures of peace with the kobolds as a whole. Holy crap.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I am positive this game's not going to go full Drakengard.

I was a lot more positive before the end of the 5.4 Weapon quests.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The way I like to describe Drakengard is that it's a game which mocks bad gameplay ideas by making you go through them while talking about how bad they are. A game where doing all the tedious bullshit to get 100% gets you the bad ending.

It is a fascinating game to exist, but I think Automata is the first one in the series that I'd call playable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I would love if the endgame hub is just the moon. How the hell did you get up here, Rowena

Someone told her there was a dropped nickel and she created the entire spaceflight program to grab it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They can possibly repair the mental effects but not the physical ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"We brought life back to the world, but some things should have been left sleeping."
Camera pans over a namazu body that stands up and begins waddling toward civilization.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The cutscene where they appear has a guard say "thank God you can see them too, I was on patrol and it was just... there." I'm not sure how you can say nobody's asking the question when it's the first thing they asked. The current answer is just "I dunno."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

gay lengthy frog turning up in the finale was very hype :pcgaming:

Long long froooooooog *sax intensifies*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Isn't there some "meanwhile, back at the Imperial talking heads" near the end of ARR where Gaius appoints Fordola and her squadron? Something about "I don't care if they're primitives, they're loyal and deserve a chance to show it" before conversation turns to the actual purpose of the scene. I may have assumed that's who he was talking about when she shows up later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Eox posted:

That's when he put Rhitahtyn in charge of Cape Westwind, Fordola wasn't introduced til Stormblood but I believe the stated reasoning for forming the Skulls was exactly the same.

Ah, I misread it as bringing someone into the ranks rather than an assignment like that so discounted Rhitatyn since he was already enlisted. That makes more sense for the timing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I know Hydaelin was formed around the idea of sundering, do we know anything about Zodiark's... call it "nature" other than being strong enough to stop the Calamity.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't made clear but odds are pretty good everything went to poo poo anyway. The First was an iota away from turning into a new Void and honestly had probably either fallen or was just about to fall. Remember that in the original timeline there was no Crystal Tower Catboy and no Warrior of Light so it was basically Vauthry unopposed. Black Rose seemed to have just hosed poo poo up really good and it's very possible that between those two they accidentally ended up creating another Void situation where a world couldn't rejoin and so the Source was scoured for nothing and now they have to wait for the next potential Calamity.

If you also take into account all the removal of Catboy's Deus Ex Call then the Warrior of Light also probably wrecked Elidibus-in-Zenos's poo poo which meant Zenos couldn't get his body back and he probably got Black Rose'd too.

Elidibus shanks Catboy and says his spirit is unusually strong so I assume that means from his future the rejoining actually went through and he's got that extra soul in him from the First.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3z8VcPLgbM&t=380s

The transition for Hades riffs on a motif that I know I've heard somewhere but can't recall where. Anyone know? Just that one bit between the two main soundtracks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Found it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmJ8XYiOI0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Eox posted:

I feel like fighting Hydaelyn is gonna look more like the end of Lassie

The end of Old Yeller.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

It's way more empowering to be special because of who we fundamentally are rather than only because, as we now know, Elidibus arranged to slip us a crystal which gave us the echo and made crystal mom notice us. (Certainly you can tell interesting stories in which the protagonist is not fundamentally special but it's been clear for a long time that FFXIV is not one of those stories.)

I missed that, when did it happen?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

The thing is that with the Echo you weren’t the Chosen One, you were one of a group of people with it, and the Blessing of Light was something you earned through ARR, and you still kicked rear end without it.

I don’t mind the WoL being special, they were always going to special, I dislike the WoL being special because they are the reincarnation of Azem. It’s just a step too far for me

You still earned the Blessing of Light through ARR. You are still one of a group of people with the Echo because you're fragments of the shattered Ancients.

You are not special because you're the reincarnation of Azem, you are special AND you're the reincarnation of Azem. You are awakening to that link and getting new powers (or new context for things you've taken for granted like Party Finder), but it's YOU doing them. The idea that your existence as a fragment of a "greater" soul doesn't invalidate your existence and worth as a person is the whole point of the 5.0/5.3 struggle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Doesn't Azem specifically withdraw from the Convocation because they oppose the summoning? Also, now that I think about it, while the FF12 reference is obvious with Elidibus summoning Zodiark and Venat as the protector of mortals, mechanically those summoning processes are a lot closer to FFX and the fayth being created to summon Sin

The end of the Summoner Stormblood class quests make this clear. The level 70 fight is against a guy who's basically gone full Yu Yevon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I can only assume that people who didn't read it as Emet skipped cutscenes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assume so, since they established that the names went with the seats and occupants took on the title. Emet-Selch was the title assumed by Hades, Lohgrif by Gaia, Mitron by Artemis, and so on. Then those became locked in with the sundering when the Convocation's role changed to trying to get everyone back just the way it was.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like Azem can't be given an official god/titan name because their gender is whatever WoL's gender is and all the Greek pantheon members are gendered.

Artemis

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cleretic posted:

...what if there's nothing there? What if The Sound was just that: a noise that freaked people out, made them panic and lose control, thereby causing more people to panic? The entire paradise of Amaurot was brought undone not by some external force or nefarious plot, but just because even all-powerful humans are... kinda dumb, and prone to wrecking ourselves.

"A bell followed by a high-pitched wail, after which things got bad," was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GET8ax8uWXk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Farg posted:

what tha gently caress is a woobie

They're from Kashyyk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think it's ever been described as such.

Thought one NPC in Amaurot said that. I'll have to go see if I can find the guy. Something to do before D&D tonight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Thought one NPC in Amaurot said that. I'll have to go see if I can find the guy. Something to do before D&D tonight.

Haven't gotten a chance to dig in-game so I'm not sure if the bell was mentioned somewhere else or I juxtaposed something, but someone on Reddit transcribed what NPCs say in the End of A World quest:

quote:

Have you not heard? Though yet confined to the lands across the sea, a terrible phenomenon afflicts our star. They are calling it the “Final Days.”

'Tis said it starts suddenly, a cacophonous keening from beneath the earth. The sound distorts all living things within earshot, and wrests from us control of our creation magicks.

Once that happens, all is lost. Fear, pain, despair...every dread impulse is siphoned from our minds and given substance: an eternal fall of fiery rain; an incessant spawning of nightmarish beasts...

None can point to the source of the phenomenon. 'Tis as if the star itself has fallen ill─as if a force inimical to life now festers and spreads.

'Tis only a matter of time until Amaurot, too, resounds to that discordant squall. You should stay with your loved ones, child... Stay with them...

A keening is a high wail.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Mikoto is very amusing to me because on paper she looks like a character from a fanfiction. She’s a young Archon who just so happens to have had a Scion as a mentor, she’s got a working relationship with Cid (and I think she’s implied to have feelings for him?) she’s got the Echo except it’s a special kind that lets her see into the future, and she has a twin that’s the polar opposite of her (that I am convinced is one of Matsuno’s alts and a way for him to pit his OC in the game) except she constantly looks like a hit puppy because life somehow keeps finding new and interesting ways to poo poo on her.

From her perspective you're the oddly powerful and unique NPC who is having this interesting story along hers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My first run got a whole bunch of those notes and a forgotten fragment of each type. I don't know if rates are boosted for the first time or I was dang lucky because I haven't seen anything close since.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

x1o posted:

Sometimes a Queen just wants to slouch on a weird throne robot.

I hope this spawns a whole Primaltech questline. Ifrit piloting a transforming jet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

50-60 LW is curing classism through craftsmanship, then curing xenophobia through a combination of craftsmanship and bear wrestling.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Elidibus wasn't killed, he's just trapped in the Tower, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I just finished the post-role quest... um, quests. Unulkahai mentions that the heroes of the Thirteenth were corrupted by the crystals they were using to trap primals. All the way back in ARR wasn't Elidibus trying to get us to use those and then we figured they could trap ascians too?