Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The MSQ dungeon was an unexpected feel good moment of the patch that I've been recommending to friends to just run with trusts the first time, just so they can experience it at their own pace. I laughed, I cried, I cheered for joy as Aenc Thon turned a bunch of trash mobs into frogs. Irony of ironies, Giott, who in a previous story related cutscene had tried to teach me, a MNK main of three full expansions, how to punch things, MNK LB3'd the last set of trash before the final boss. Sold.

Though word of caution: trusts are programmed to move to pre-determined positions for stack markers, and if you happen to be animation locked by, say, doing a limit break while you're targeted by one during the final boss, instead of running to your aid they just...run to the pre-determined position and let you get murked.

Seto getting to share a tender moment with Ardbert at the end of the MSQ broke me.

So speculation about Fandaniel before this patch was all over the place, besides him having taken control of Asahi's body because that was revealed pretty early by data-miners. His mask makes him out like an ascian, but the story implies he's not an unsundered one. So I guess the ascian plot lives on, just maybe not one related to the original goal of Emet/Elidibus/that other nerd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Also I don't know if this is true or not, but does Hildibrand actually show up as a summoned shade of light during the MSQ dungeon or is Reddit just getting my hopes up again?

I want to see best boy Hildy again before the next expansion drops. :smith:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Allarion posted:

I mean, outside of the first couple of EXs, the rest of the EX primal trials are literally just the WoL meditating super hard on their memories to become stronger. We are just conjuring mounts and weapons by reliving our memories really hard.

We've had creation magic all this time. :aaaaa:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I won't be satisfied until I see it with a potato in the ghost costume.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Someone mod the g-warrior into archon loaf.

We'll call it...g-loaf.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The old Mining Internally video was all an Ascian plot to recruit Warriors of Light from other timelines that were tired of listening to Minfillia in an attempt to build an ever growing supply of crystals for Zodiark.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Bacontotem posted:

Urianger's ending scene has much potential

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Everyone keeps saying Elidibus was just some kid, but he's got a pretty deep voice for one.

Do balls drop in the womb for Amourantians or is puberty for them a terrifying process where your voice slowly gets replaced with Charlie Brown adult noises?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

RE: the Emet shade that appeared during Seat of Sacrifice, I like to think of it as a bit of a contingency plan. Emet knew he was going to throw down with the WoL eventually, and there would be one of two outcomes: either Emet was right and the WoL died, or Emet was wrong and the WoL proved that sundered people were worthy of living. So he created a shade of himself, that he could dispel if the former happened, but if the latter did and he turned out to be wrong, at least he could back up the WoL when they would, inevitably, throw down with Elidibus as well. I feel like collecting the constellation soul stones and the conversations with Hythlodaeus were more an orchestration following that line of thought.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I don't think they can actually give us the wave, because it's not actually a stationary motion; he's walking during it, and they can't actually do emotes that move the character.

They can do it, there are already a large handful of emotes that offset the character model (see most of the dance emotes).

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Dancing is actually different than that, I believe, because the character's actual position doesn't change from where they started (you can tell by the target circle staying put). To properly do a walking emote they'd either have to have your character move during it, which is probably WAY harder than it sounds, or have them return to where they started when the animation is 'done'.

Skeletal animation in games often has a root matrix which allows an animator to offset/rotate an entire model (see the dance emotes in the game). Having a similar emote which rotates and walks the character back while they do the Emet Selch hand wave thing is entirely within reason. Again, see many of the existing dance emotes (and other emotes that shift a character relative to their position).

[Edit] Note this would be separate from animation based movement that some games have (say, Psychonauts) where an animation directly moves a character. You wouldn't need that for an emote, you would just need to play an animation.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Imagine a world transformed drastically by something WONDERFUL happening instead of something horrible, for a change?

Don't worry, Zenos and his juicy booty is coming back for Endwalker.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I doubt that. Extreme trials haven’t ever had any additional phases or story related content over the regular difficulties.

Thordan?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The sound was just Godbert Manderville flexing really hard and enjoying a nice shoulder massage from Azem.

Apparently the rest of Amaurot couldn't handle it and it's up to the WoL to teach the rest of the Ascians that it's just fine to perform a deep tissue massage on a goldsmith that would otherwise murder you/have their wife murder you.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Farg posted:

Where's the drowned friend thing come from?

Someone heard their friend complaining about getting knocked off the boat a lot in Leviathan EX and decided to sign up for the game, and thus another WoL started their adventure.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cleretic posted:

We're Krillin or

We killed Krillin in Syrcus Tower though.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The only thing that having a part of Azem's soul means is that it's time to gather some collectible grapes to earn arms and armor from Rowena.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I just want to know what happened to Ran'jit's body. It disappeared after the last fight in Eulmore and I was half expecting him to show up again during the Eden raid series or the Shadowkeeper follow-up quests, but no. He's just gone.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

derra posted:

Next time the MSQ brings us back to the 1st 100 years have passed, Ranjit has turned Stillwater into a supreme military force and has killed every NPC you knew and loved.

Can I bring Graha back to the first to get wrecked too?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

We'd better queue into Pandaemonium to find Moenbryda giving Lahabrea a swirly.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Just the one single actual toilet in the entire FFXIV omniverse. There in Pandaemonium. With Lahabrea getting face flushed by everyone's favorite muscle scion.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

No wonder he locked himself up in the Waking Sands.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Quick, we need to get Ishikawa to play Yakuza: LAD so we can get Zenos to pull a Tendo with us for a solo duty against Onlyfans Daniel.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Estinien will just be like Alisaie, except instead of blowing your LB the moment you get one, Estinien will jump directly into an AoE the moment one appears.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Farg posted:

The WoL kills Zenos by poisoning his food

<Zenos> Servant why is my steak hard, and metallic? And...shaped like a...drill?

Served hot by a MCH WoL seconds before, with a fresh bunch of Reassemble added for flavor.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The four lords, while pulled from mythology in every case ever, were also in FFXI, and if you're willing to count SaGa games, Final Fantasy Legends II/SaGa 2.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ishikawa posted:

I'd say Fandaniel and his [???].

Onlyfans Daniel indeed. :imunfunny:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Sharlayan's can keep their purple drank tempering cure. Ours is bacon flavored.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I may be a weirdo, but I have grapes, so who's laughing now?

Rowena, straight to the bank.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Moofia Boss Val posted:

This is what I imagine the average Sundered Ascian is like:

Being a sundered Ascian is just being forced to attend stand-up on time. :stare:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

5.55 Nier related: So, uh, would it be a valid interpretation of the ending cutscene that Konogg is dead and/or committed suicide and that's why he saw Anogg again? People are talking about the [E]nd bit on the final image to indicate the potential for multiple endings so I'm hoping we have an opportunity for a happier one.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

kind of strange that the moon is almost red over garlemald, but white over cartenau - hydelin's influence?

I'm wondering if it's an eclipse sort of thing where the moon is going to appear larger and redder than normal depending on where you are in the world. We're actually expecting something similar to be visible in the NE US over the next couple of days.

[Edit] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_eclipse

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 25, 2021

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Something else I'm curious about from people: when talking about what form Bozja's government would take, is the bosscat taking notes from the IVth Legion always there, or was it only because of my choices? That felt like a line odd enough that it might be quietly influenced.

I didn't choose to execute her, and this line was there in my ending as well.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I like to think of it like this. Summoning primals is just creation magic performed by those without the resources to fully craft or knowledge to control the final result. The final construct, while influenced by the summoner, isn't complete, and ends up draining the land of aether if the resources to create it weren't sufficient, or tempers those they come across if only because the created being was too powerful for the original summoner to handle.

This might be why Hydaelyn and Zodiark aren't really known to drain the world dry of aether: they were created with sufficient resources to be self stable. But because they were a type of creation magic that was too powerful for the original summoner to control (the ancients, in their hubris, probably thought they could handle it), it caused the extra side effects of tempering them and others around them. Inevitably this led to creation magic being taught to beings with a lower capacity of aether/a non-complete grasp of the process (the various tribes of Eorzea), leading to primals that were actively dangerous to anyone around them and the world itself, simply because the summoners had no idea what they were getting into and didn't have the sufficient resources to create a complete being.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 3, 2021

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

This also means the only partially successful use of creation magic/summoning since then was done by...Gilgamesh, when he accidentally summoned/created a version of his old pal Enkidu without resulting in himself being tempered (though maybe with a drain on the surrounding aether).

I don't know why the Ascians are trying to deal with our bullshit. They should be trying to recruit that guy.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

For all we know, tempering the summoners might be part of the original design decisions when they constructed the design of Zodiark, and in turn Hydaelyn. What better way to make sure your faith in the cause doesn't waver?

Valid. I just lean towards the ancients doing something too big for their britches vs them being openly hostile with the end result, given their entire society revolved around debating and finding a common ground between differences instead of forcing someone to agree to something. :shrug:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

What if they did and they didn’t have any rare swords to tempt him. What if Elidibus got tired of his constant hijinks

This is the Hildibrand content we missed out on during Shadowbringers. :negative:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Raelle posted:

Imagine an anime avatar entering an endless recursion of internal screaming every time the Ancients' fate to assigned to "hubris." Like a snake eating its own tail. Forever.

If you're that flexible that you can eat your own tail I need you to refer me to your anime yoga teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Azem walking into a convocation meeting going "Hey nerds look what I can do" and twists themselves into a pretzel.