Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

something something love for huge asses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

azem is named harald petersen and he's a bank teller from ocean city maryland

it's canon, trust me

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i don't have really anything to add to the plot speculation, but i always have to laugh at every new iteration of fantastic dannage's/fancy dan's/etc. name the players come up with and wish that they'd somehow made it into the game

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh no

not again

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there is no context in which the words "skill issue" are not rude

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

most people have approximately equal amounts of first, second and third place finishes in frontline

i apparently attract losers, my third-place finishes are way closer to 45% at last check

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what even is a dgkk and what's it matter to us

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wouldn't be the first

you mean

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so, i know giving one of the mysterious envelopes to krile basically sinks this idea before it goes anywhere, but my theory (wish) is absolutely that the next expansion is the obligatory tournament arc

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DanielCross posted:

We're gonna get a Spirits Within expansion, just you watch.

i would sit through whatever horrible bullshit they'd have to dig up for that if it meant the theme tune was soken with l'arc-en-ciel

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I'm not the only one who did Crystal Tower during ARR and then stared in total nonrecognition when the reveal in Shadowbringers happened right?

this was absolutely me. i did all the alliance raids on my way through msq, and i made it to and through the shb main plot literally a couple weeks before they made CT mandatory. i definitely got to sit there looking at our boy going "wait, who are you again?"

i also don't think i was doing roulettes much at that point, mostly just living off the msq xp, so i didn't have regular alliance-raid-shaped reminders about the eorzea-side tower, either

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

at least they are stating it on camera and not expecting us to have read tie-in novels or done content that isn't in the game anymore

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

I choose to believe Nero has things set up to inform him all opportunities to dunk on Cid at all times.

he's kibo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Martman posted:

My Simpsons jumping the shark moment was Homer being raped by a panda. Really snapped me out of the fog that had allowed me to keep watching to that point

loving what

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I have probably watched less than 20 episodes of The Simpsons in my entire life.

same

i watched one episode of it back in season one or two, hated it. I've since seen retrospective reviews saying it was the first great episode of the show (the one where bart gets sent to france) but i still don't believe it

I've since seen a handful of episodes, mostly during a period in college where one particular dining hall had it on a large screen tv every night for a while, but we didn't always eat there. it's fine as a tv show. i just don't care about it. I've easily put more quarters into the four-player arcade game than i have seen episodes of the show. I've osmosed the occasional reference simply because I hang out on the internet, where it seems like everyone is some kind of simpsons obsessive

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

if everyone has to do it, there'll be more people to help with doing it, which is most of my problem with the more elaborate/difficult side content - see my previous complaints about bozja

of course, I'm doomed if blu became mandatory, i can't even beat azulmagia

and i always feel ashamed

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

How many spells do you have? If you need help gathering some, I could help you out.

i don't remember.

i have all the ones the guide to do the azulmagia fight said i needed (which was like three spells) but that's not going to fix my inability to push the correct buttons and not die

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's a MMMMMMO

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the ew ars for me are actually the first time I've ever had any real contact with the pantheon of the setting

sure, i picked a god's sign to be born under at character creation but until i got to aglaia, i had no idea what they looked like or what their attitude was or anything like that

the gods occasionally get mentioned, or invoked in dialogue, and sometimes you learn something about a particular god if it's thematically appropriate, but for me and probably a number of other people, this is the first real, extended chance you get to learn anything about the vast majority of them without having to dig into, like, the encyclopedia eorzea

so i rather like them

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i mostly did not enjoy the nier raids as an experience because i neither know not understand anything about nier and it constantly felt like it was expecting me to start yelling and cheering every time something appeared on the screen, while the relentlessly grim dwarf story played out in extremely small portions over far too long a period of time

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'm also glad Cylva got a mention but it was still weird they saved that for literally the last conversation with Zero. Like, we were on the First and could've just stopped by but instead I'll just keep my mouth shut until the very end.

i actually stopped by to see her and the kid, if just to continue to be glad that he's no longer taking up space in my office - not that i even have an office anymore - and was disappointed that the conversation didn't update

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Onean posted:

Their conversation updates at the very end, after you complete and turn in Growing Light. Cyella doesn't get a new option, just tell her you went to the Thirteenth, and Unukalhai just has his updated.

okay, that's cool, but my thought was like "I'm already here! i can just literally bring my friend over here and you can meet her"

it's such a weird oversight

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Hot drat, this week's Margrat tier has this patch's requisite mention of The Gridanian Goldsmith!

Did we ever find a mention of him in 6.4?

wait what

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Onean posted:

Margrat makes mention of a Gridanian goldsmith making realistic mammets as an example of monster miniatures to make.

right but why is this important

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i understand it's an uphill battle considering the years of toxic mmo bullshit before this game where the idea of "raids" is hideous no-lifer bullshit where you will get called slurs on voice

and i don't know how much clearer they can make it

but it's not so much that they need to make raids mandatory but that they need to continue pushing the idea that all normal-difficulty content is tuned for the average casual player

crystal tower being mandatory goes quite a way towards helping with that - you get done with it, gain another ten levels and oh, hey, it's another one of these

i don't know that it needs to be made mandatory, but fixing coils could similarly make normal raids more approachable to the average player, as well as filling in some rather large holes in the early game's cosmology

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the real irony - now the problem isn't going to be people forcing themselves into crystal tower, it's the dickheads who are going to dip out even though they got the tower completely legitimately

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i was actually lucky, in that i got to shb just before ct became mandatory, but I'd actually already done it - but far enough back that I'd forgotten basically everything about it, including that graha existed

so it was actually a for-real surprise that we'd come full circle

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Khizan posted:

Have to admit, I will miss her hat.

I'm unlikely to buy cash shop character outfits, but if they had a zero package where I could get her earrings for my own use, I'd smack the purchase button day one

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

doesn't x.58 get a tiny lead-in msq quest? or am i hallucinating

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my initial suspicion is that the thing in the background covered up and labeled SECRET is the big arch from the amano drawing but who the hell knows, that would seem like a massive oversight if that were the case

I should go to bed

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fantastic dannage

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

really the main complaint I'd think anyone would have is that the last few bosses only get to appear in their raid and we don't get to pal around with them in tiny animal forms or in their full forms for a moment before starting the final trial

honestly, getting to see the actual designs of the twelve in dialogue and not wreathed in three thousand explosions while trying to dodge poo poo was really cool

the gods were mostly just spackle in the setting up until this raid, as far as it went for me. what did i know about the gods before this raid series? halone has a spear, i knew that. thal's got testicles. i picked azeyma at character creation but remembered nothing about them beyond the character login screen reminding me they're "the warden"

the raids taught me more about the pantheon of the setting than the hundreds of hours of gameplay to get to 6.5 ever did

i might be repeating myself, idk, but these raids were really cool, and I'm sad i don't get to hang out with our new friends any more.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

having closed out the last tribal quest i needed to max out all of them yesterday, I've just run all three alliance quests in a row today

(ironically, I'm not done doing tribal dailies, because I'm short on one currency to buy a couple unlockables that i seem to have forgotten to buy initially)

and man, this dollar tree cat-zenos is not even your better grade of clown

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yoship wants us on the game grid until we die playing

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Blue mage rules and I feel pity for those who refuse to engage with the best job in the game.

i want to do more blue mage, between it being a casting class that does all sorts of different things instead of having a specific rotation, having a cute glam for it, and it having story i haven't yet gotten to experience

but holy gently caress am I bad at it

i can't even beat the first major boss in the carnival, much less the others that i haven't unlocked yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my main thing is that i can't get anywhere in boz or eur because i generally play alone at three in the morning when i get home from work and the onboarding for both zones is extremely dogshit. they may well have gotten rebalances since their launch, but they're both zones that rely on you not trying to solo them with no idea what you're doing