Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lord_Magmar posted:

My big thought is that whatever we do with Golbez is going to end up in a void invasion of Meracydia. To give us a big reason to go there besides just "exploring the new world".

I personally hope our reasons for going to Meracydia or where ever are just "exploring the new world". We just killed the Devil, God, and saved the entire cosmos. Let's bring the stakes back down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They look like mobs to you?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Macaluso posted:

I want Emet to have to interact with Hildy so bad

It would be Briardien x1000. Hildy would drive Emet to total insanity within minutes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
In the third Pandaemonium tier, we will meet Azem and she will show us the most powerful spell of all, which she casts by hitting her fist into her open palm.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think the HW is the best of the retrospective questlines, though some of that is probably from the final step being "You know where this ends." :unsmith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
He originally popped up in the StB quests, I believe. Only formally introduced, as it turns out. He's hopelessly in love with Nashu and thus stalking her. He's just a background joke.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 19, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm trying to level my gatherer as fast as I can!

Yeah this is where I'm at to. I want to see these crafting tribes quests but wow does running circles around the Diadem loving suuuuuuuck.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Alphinaud realized he hadn't been a quasi-main character for a couple months and started getting the shakes. Alisaie hasn't had a decent fight in the same amount of time and is starting to hallucinate a health bar above Alphinaud's head. Its sad really, they have a disease.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Golbez isn't an Azem shard, he is Azem.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
lmao they only showed nophica from behind

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

drat i'm surprised this person was able to write around all the boot in their mouth

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The more I read that forum thread, the more I question if these people are playing the same game as me.

EDIT: No, I've figured out the answer. They are playing the same game, they just skip all the cutscenes that might paint Sexy Grandpa, the Warmongering Empire, and the Ancient Civilization That Definitely Cared About Life A Lot in a bad light.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 11, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oh hey, the original OP of the fanfiction thread has a current thread reviewing the 6.3 story.

quote:

Zero and the power of friendship nonsense writing they’re going with

Ah, they don't like the central theme of literally the entire game. Explanation sorted.

quote:

I almost threw up when they focused on the femroe, I had to skip the cut scene.

God Almighty, these people are monsters.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 11, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I assume they mean her going all googly-eyed over Nophica. Because FF14 is a SERIOUS GAME for SERIOUS PEOPLE.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
...both Julyan and Menphina have pigtails.

oh god julyan is going to be the final boss of the third raid, we're all going to die

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bloody Pom posted:

After the cutscene I walked over to say hi to Haurchefant, and Francel was there too :unsmith:

When I played through it on patch day, a couple of people broke away from the big mass of players to pay their respects. :unsmith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I know this isn't a .txt thread, but good god almighty, the official forums post the most insane poo poo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

FrostyPox posted:

I mean I think Garleans are cool in the "stylish bad guy" sense and I'd totally play an alternate universe single player game where the WoL joins Gaius in 2.0 Era.

The correct way for that game to play out would be with only bad endings, of course. Unfortunately those endings could literally explain in plain text at a 3rd grade level why this is bad and those kinds of people would somehow decide "actually it's good"

I was initially really down on Gaius coming back because I dislike unearned resurrections in fiction. But I warmed up to it when I realized it was SE trying to clearly lay out "Here's the guy who embodied the supposed ideals of the Empire and even he realized it was hosed up and wrong. THE EMPIRE IS BAD."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
As Cleretic alluded, there's a lot of overlap between the Garlean-fuckers and Ascian defenders. So no, I don't think they'd have any problems with wiping out the tribes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I genuinely hope 7.0's setup is just Krile saying "Get in loser, we're going to Meracydia" and the expansion is just exploring and dealing with smaller-scale threats. There really doesn't need to be another apocalyptic threat already.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They're saving Wind-Up Zenos for the 10.5 credits. You'll have to complete an active time maneuver in 3 seconds as a test of your reflexes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zeruel posted:

peeled au ra

absolutely cursed

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Teledji Allegedly is drat good

Half the note should have been sent from Teledji and the other half from Adeledji

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Theris posted:

I have a feeling the wol delivering a thesis on kicking rear end would look a lot like that Kate Beaton comic with the WWI pilot. "Just win every fight. It's not even hard unless you're imagining the bullshit the Minstrel comes up with. Any questions?"

"Just inherit the soul of one of the most badass beings to have ever existed and then get chosen by God. Its not that hard, I don't know why the rest of you keep losing."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
First MSQ quest not-real spoilers: so how many terabytes of zero x estinien fan art have already been made

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
now i'm supposed to remember what was going on in the ivalice raids this is bullshit yoshi-p no one remembers what was going on in those raids

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"And who made me that way?" is a loving phenomenal way to throw Athena in the dumpster, goddamn.

Cleretic posted:

The word from the devs in a live letter, as I recall, was essentially that Hydaelyn spared Emet (although it wasn't so much 'deliberately missing him' so much as 'not deliberately hitting him and just trusting he's a tricky enough bitch to dodge'), and that Lahabrea just lucked out by happening to be nearby.

I've always just gone with the interpretation that Venat knew she was in a time loop and the only hope of stopping Meteion was the WoL. So things had to play out the way we told her in Elpis, so she had to let the Unsundered live and do their poo poo. Its still not a terribly satisfying explanation, but that's sort of the pit that live letter left us in.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 24, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I am probably brain poisoned, but a lot of the Pandaemonium finale felt like pushback against the Ascian fuckers. Athena being so far gone that to her even the Ancients are imperfect and therefore deserve to die, along with Lahabrea himself saying "Man, I'm going to do some hosed up and evil poo poo as an Ascian, that's awful."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Vitamean posted:

honestly it felt like when they were writing 6.4 someone piped up with "won't the garleans have a problem with turning on their space laser tower again?" and proceeded to write three quests about how to solve it as bluntly as possible. it's.... not my favorite part of the patch, even if I can get what they were going for.

There's a lot of the 6.4 MSQ that's essentially just worldbuilding. "Where were the Sharlayans going to get the fuel for the Ragnarok" is not exactly a pressing lore question, but whatever, now its answered and we got a very pretty dungeon out of it.

I don't think the Endwalker patch quests are going to be remembered as fondly as like the Heavensward or Stormblood patches, but they've been fine. So much of it is just CBU3 taking a victory lap and you know what, they deserve it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I just want to know what happened to Varis' Red and Blue Power Ranger ladies. I don't think Gaius and Estinien killed them, right?

For that matter, what happened to Yuyuhase and Laurentius?

They're the final boss of Ghimlyt Dark. Considering they don't pop up after that, I think its safe to assume we killed them.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zeruel posted:

I thought we never killed people, we were just really good at making them stay down

This is canon

Vitamean posted:

estinien fights them off during the solo instance in... 5.1? gaius jumps in to knock them out and I don't think they're seen after that.

Ah, my mistake then.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cleretic posted:

A core failing of the Ascians, especially the Unsundered, is arrogance. They mostly died because they left themselves wide open out of sheer assurance that nobody could beat them.

I'm pretty sure both times Lahabrea got beaten, it was by something that was well within his power to just dodge.

Its actually kind of funny to think that by the time of ARR, the Ascians are kind of right to be arrogant. Hydaelyn is on her last legs, they just pulled off a Rejoining and are already winding up to do another one, the latest set of Warriors of Light are all dead lost in time. They probably thought they'd have their Unsundered World back by Christmas.

Then some loving catgirl in a subligar glam rolls up and six months to two years later, they're all dead.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would simply not marry a woman with delusions of godhood.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its basically impossible to separate out what disasters can be blamed on the Ascians and what can't because the Ascians were so involved in creating the conditions that led to those disasters. Like, you can't directly blame Emet for the poo poo that Varro was getting up to in Werlyt. But would it have happened if he hadn't primed the Garlean Empire to be a bunch of racial supremacists that thought mad science was great?

1stGear fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 5, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cleretic posted:

(if you're playing the best game releasing this June,).

bold thing to claim in a thread about a Final Fantasy game

1stGear fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 10, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Duodecimal posted:

How did Golbez get to the 13th's moon?

Flapped his arms real hard.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't know who in the LP thread is sincerely noticing that Omega's travel through the stars took it past a lot of messed-up stars and who is a veteran going BOY SURE IS WEIRD THAT THE COSMOS IS PRETTY BARREN

I will admit that I am sorely tempted to post "Well, I'm sure a character walking through a void will never be used as a storytelling device again."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Fall Guys side of the collab is uninteresting to me, but if the stuff they add to the Gold Saucer is cool, I hope it stays permanently.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would imagine that trying to tell any veteran of the ARR/Heavensward Development Hell March that they're crunching too much would just result in them laughing at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Azem's crystal making thing incredibly awkward while Golbez and me just stare at each other for 10 minutes.

"This has never before I swear, but also it happens to lots of Warriors of Light."