Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

cheetah7071 posted:

It'd be kind of weird to have him be a prominent part of two expansions in a row but I guess Alisaie got to be part of the main team in both Stormblood and Shadowbringers

And she still didn't get character development in either of them (Stormblood was more 'showcasing development she got off-screen'). If anything I'd say G'raha's already ahead of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

I think you missed some large chunks of Shadowbringers.

Oh, I firmly remember Tesleen, but... the game didn't seem to want to. Or at least didn't seem to have a lot to do with that. And outside of that she didn't really get a massive amount of spotlight.

It's fair enough that in an expansion that tried to fit in all the Scions rather than just a couple, someone still ended up with less spotlight. But Alisaie is also absolutely right to complain that she didn't get any real personal development.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Alisaie is like the primary Scion involved in the "tempering is hosed up, what can we do about it" storyline, with deeply personal connections driving the story in multiple patches

Yeah, and I think that's going to start paying dividends soon. If I had to make predictions I think we'll see more of that as a focus in 5.4 and 5.5, possibly even going through the next expansion as her big Thing, but right now we're only in the phase of 'seeds for a solution got planted', they haven't done a whole lot with it yet. It's just been the few scenes with Ga Bu and then like, one cutscene in 5.1

Comparing Alisaie in ShB to Urianger is hard, because the big advancement for him was never that he got new things to do, it was that he got things to do at all, this is the first time he got promoted to 'main cast'. But if you think Alisaie got more stuff to do in Shadowbringers (and new stuff, at that) than Y'shtola... well, I wanna know what Shadowbringers you played.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

She gets a very personal connection to the Sin Eater plotline which lasts throughout the entire story and pays off right as the plot ends.

Y'shtola's plot is A) Getting kidnapped B) Exposition or C) Thirsty Catman, each with a side of snark.

I think you're focusing more on 5.3, while I'm thinking more 'whole expansion'.

Alisaie does have Tesleen and later Halric tying her to the sin eater plot, and that's not nothing, but it's also, honestly, weirdly isolated from the rest of the story. It's the focus of her early intro, it comes back in Holminster, and then gets scenes in 5.1 and 5.3, but it doesn't really leave its little pocket and Alisaie's the same as normal otherwise, very much an 'and she's also there'. There is more 'seeing Sin Eaters as people who need help', but it's in the role quests, not the main story. She doesn't even get to do a whole lot with the rest of Amh Araeng.

Y'shtola on the other hand gets the whole of Rak'tika, every single time you go there, which lets you see a whole new side of her because of her connections there; we've never really seen Y'shtola caring about people. Even when she leaves Rak'tika there's still clear influences on her demeanor afterwards (like still being mad at Thancred for being a lovely dad), she feels like she's actually changed even if she's still pretty snarky, there's more care behind it. And you mention getting kidnapped, but that's interesting because it's never really happened before, we very rarely see Y'shtola put on the back foot by others like that. And apparently she loving owns it, but it's also possible that Elidibus is just very bad at kidnapping.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SirSamVimes posted:

characters known to snap their fingers and do a sassy wave: hythlodaeus???

I didn't piece it together at the finger snap, because... hey, a lot of people snap their fingers for effect. I do that.

But then I saw the wave and my mood dropped pretty hard. Almost fortunate that I didn't like the trial very much anyway, so it's not like he tanked something I otherwise enjoyed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Waffleman_ posted:

Hythlodaeus, Emet-Selch, and Azem: Just three assholes causing trouble in Amaurot

No, Azem was causing troubles outside Amaurot. Big difference.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Hogama posted:

Even people who didn't have the Echo triggered said they felt a palpable sense of loss upon seeing the image of Amaurot..

I'd really like some sort of in-words confirmation for what exactly makes someone Echo-capable, because 5.3 kinda made a mess of how I understood that. Alisaie mentioning her soul is 'fractured' and that's why she can't, that one dude in Eulmore not getting the Echo but apparently still feeling that...

My running theory so far has been that there's a whole bunch of fragmented Ancient souls from before the Sundering, with one fragment from each whole Ancient on each shard, and then there's 'other souls' that started springing up after Zodiark broke reality, and are whole for what they are but can't become more than that by merging fragments, and don't get the Echo. And I feel like I got most of the 'shape' of what's going on there, but I have the actual facts of it wrong.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

homeless snail posted:

The starshower is basically like how they put a volcano on the cover of Dianetics to restimulate the distant memory of the time you got flown across the galaxy and dropped in a volcano

The echo is you achieving the state of clear, and a warrior of light is an operating thetan

...I don't really like how this is the most full, understandable and effective explanation for this that I've seen so far.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Hogama posted:

But should also be noted that they tapped Matsuno for this particular storyline, so similarities to IV might also not go too much deeper.

The 'Matsuno is writing' wildcard is what throws all predictions out of whack, as far as I see it. Because what we end up getting as far as references depends entirely on how little of a poo poo he gives.

If he's actually invested, all bets are off on where he'll go. It could go a combination of IV and the Ivalice games, but that could well be a conservative bet for all we know, and there's no telling what he'll pull from.

But we didn't get Invested Matsuno last time he wrote for FFXIV. We got Phoning It In Matsuno, and there's no guarantee we aren't getting the same thing now. And if it's Phoning It In Matsuno, then he's just gonna cram in the main story of one of his old games and let someone else figure out the how of it. The only question is which one; Gabranth says XII, but by virtue of the story we have to deal with a queen, so maybe Tactics Advance.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Melomane Mallet posted:

The XII legion was Zenos.

Stormblood did go in the same direction as XII in depicting life under an occupied force wjth a side helping of political intrigue. It's not laid on as thick as with the VIth legion, for example, but you can see XII's spirit in that Lrgion's content.

Also, the final boss of Stormblood and XII both are the young emperor/emperor-to-be taking the form of a big scary dragon through magical means that aren't a hundred percent clear at the time. So there's also that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The Nier raids are definitely lighter on the story than other raid storylines. There's not a lot actively happening, it's more a whole lot of 'what the gently caress is going on'. Which, in fairness, is true to Nier Automata; when you break it down there aren't a whole lot of things that actually happen in Nier Automata, it's just that every single time something DOES happen it's big, weird, and leaves you with more questions than it answers, in many cases including 'what do we do now'.

In terms of raid storylines I think it's closest to Omega. And similar to Omega, I think we're gonna get a whole lot of activity right at the end; we still only barely know what's going on, but there's enough pieces to start getting some kind of an idea together, and an alliance raid is enough time to bring it to a head and tie things together.

I've liked how they've managed to reflect that sort of 'Big poo poo happens, you figure it out later' using the Portable Archive, though. The Puppets' Bunker's stuff especially seems to give more of an idea what's actually going on: it seems to be that the machine lifeforms have gotten hold of Unit 21O's (the operator in charge of 9S) backup data, and have done an extremely poor job of reconciling her incomplete understanding of humanity with their complete misunderstanding of humanity.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Arist posted:

Also I love that scene with Zenos and Fandaniel because Fandaniel is just loving hamming it up for an audience of no one, clearly loving this poo poo just for its own sake, and Zenos is completely loving stonefaced the entire time. Just does not give one single poo poo about any of it.

We've never seen Zenos have to play the straight man before, and I kinda love it because he clearly just hates it. It's not even like when Varis had to deal with Emet, because Varis was just kinda jaded to it all, Zenos is clearly actively loathing every second he has to spend with this idiot. It turns out Zenos is more fun as the straight man, and that's great!

And while I'm sure a conga line of fishing out the remaining Ascians would be fun, because I now trust them to make the Ascians interesting, the part I'd most look forward to there is however they'd handle the reveal of 'wait, Emmerololth already died?' They're the only one that died with no living witnesses, and that death reveal itself is practically errata, so I kinda just want to see the moment of collective surprise when people find out that people who aren't Warriors of Light pulled that off, even at great sacrifice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Ibblebibble posted:

Emmerololth was the one who got merced by Galuf and co at Baldesion right? I'm still on Pyros.

Yes. And this fact is only confirmed by an entirely optional textbox found by reading a discarded book at the end of the Eureka storyline. In-story, the only person outside of you that might know among the Scions is Krile, and even that's not clear.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I think it came up in the all-roles capstone quest, but I don't recall exactly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I will point out with the Nier raids that we still don't have an explanation for why all of this is actually happening, and on the First, at that. And I can't picture an explanation for why androids from Earth in the 11000s are on the First that isn't Yoko Taro-level bonkers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Anora posted:

Did 2B and 9S bring the First that one plague from Neir 1?

I think it's plausible, and could even have more evidence and impact than we expect. We never did get an explanation for the white powdery substance around the end of the Copied Factory, but it matches the substance that caused that plague.

As for the plague... well, mostly it turned people into stone (hello, healer role quest). But among those that survived, many got deep red eyes, ashen features, and unusual abilities. And it's always struck me as curious that the Cardinal Virtues look nothing like other sin eaters...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

homeless snail posted:

Can't wait until Lahabrea comes back in 7.0

Lahabrea will continue to only communicate in unskippable voiced cutscenes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t understand what that is supposed to mean

It means Fandaniel's gonna kick our loving rear end

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I still don't buy ANY of that about Amaurot being a utopia, but we're in a weird 'either way it works' situation on Elidibus possibly being a child. Either they are a utopia, in which case it's safe to trust a child there and their judgement is infallible... or they aren't a utopia, and are in fact a civilization so lovely or in such a bad position that they'd put a child in that role, which... also checks out, Lahabrea and Emet had to learn how to be terrible people from somewhere.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

YES bread posted:

do people think that? personally I just started feeling like it was just a shortcut to make Elidibus way more sympathetic in a hurry. his whole thing felt kinda half-baked but maybe it was only in comparison to the rest of SHB

Oh, it absolutely is, albeit one done fairly well. 5.3's use of Elidibus is honestly a really efficient use of time for character exploration; there's like, three or four scenes total where we learn anything about him, but those scenes do some goddamn WORK. Although personally, I still like him more as a villain than as a character. He was a really interesting, if brief, full-focus antagonist, and honestly I think there was more potential in the whole concept of fighting somebody who both has weaponized heroism, and basically IS weaponized heroism. We could've kept him for a couple more patches and I wouldn't have been mad.

...actually, thinking about it, he feels like a much better Vauthry followup than Emet did. My big problem with Emet and Amaurot as we got it was that it felt like they grafted the climax of a different story onto the expansion after Vauthry's death, but Elidibus actually does ride the themes and concepts of 70-79 Shadowbringers to an interesting conclusion, while Emet just sorta... told them to take a time-out while he retold Dream Zanarkand.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Asahi = Venat was the dumbest loving theory this game full of fan theories ever had.

Just because it was it was wrong, doesn't mean it was 'the dumbest'. It had some interesting legs and wasn't completely out of nowhere. I assure you, I've heard dumber, I just don't internalize most of those.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah, obviously we aren't literally Azem but people seem to like deny any connection at all which was wild to me around the net.

I feel like it's sort of a 'have your cake and eat it too' thing for some people. We are Azem when it works for their argument, theorycrafting, or image of the game, until they come to someone who has some issue with it, at which point it becomes 'obviously we aren't LITERALLY Azem and you were stupid for thinking that'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Waffleman_ posted:

Imagining bringing a weaver into the Elidibus trial.

Emet doesn't need to save me, I spent the entire first phase making a rope to pull my way back there anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SirSamVimes posted:

are you honestly so mad about emet-selch that you are deciding the events of the game didn't actually happen

No, that post was called 'a joke'. You know, like one might make in response to the post that was being quoted.

I can wish an event didn't happen and make jokes about it without actively denying the event's existence.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, primals aren't natural forces, they're summoned magical constructs shaped by the desires of their summoners. If Hydaelyn goes poof, it does no meaningful damage to anything except that it leaves the planet without its most powerful protector - and primals, given their immense aether drain, were never the most effective protectors anyway. Hydaelyn is definitely going to want to be destroyed once Zodiark is gone, and to fight us in order to make sure we can do her job once she's gone.

While all this is true, it's also possible that over the literal thousands of years that have elapsed since Hydaelyn curbstomped Zodiark thirteen times, there might be what is essentially structural integrity issues from removing her. That's a lot of time for things to have incidentally grown to rely on Hydaelyn's existence not even as a savior or fuel source, but just as a Thing That Exists. Of course this is also true of Zodiark, but I always sort of assumed that wherever those two are in X-dimensional space, Hydaelyn is 'closer'.

I don't feel like that'd actually be brought up as a during-storyline thing, but it could be a neat 'epilogue plot hook' that'd fuel further story arcs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

pretty sure Anogg and Konogg got White Chlorination Syndrome from the factory...

(We'll be fine because of the Blessing of Light or something)

I think the properly Yoko Taro way to handle that is to say nothing about our immunity. Don't even imply we have it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if Zenos isn't actually Shinryu at this point. Not like he's not Zenos any more, just kind of like how Sephiroth and Jenova are technically the same person during FF7.

I could get behind this take that Zenos has been controlled by an angry murder-dragon. It actually makes some degree of sense; Shinryu was born out of raw desire to gently caress the Empire's poo poo right the gently caress up, and what does Zenos start working towards RIGHT after dodging death?

But I don't think it'd happen, because that sounds too interesting a problem, and Zenos is not a man with interesting problems.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Pyrus Malus posted:

Zenos is gonna get offed halfway through 6.0 by Fandaniel who takes the power of Zodiark for himself or something, callin it

I love that I have no idea if Zenos will kill Fandaniel, or if Fandaniel will kill Zenos, but either one seems more likely than both of them surviving to face us.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I forgot what Elidibus sounded like and somehow instead read it as ARR Gaius.

It still works.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

CYBEReris posted:

successful for like, ascian goals, not so much for finding a healthy niche in the ecosystem

That's like saying the pixies failed to create a flourishing economy. Emet literally never even tried to make any of the empires he built 'healthy', he built those empires up specifically so they would go on to destroy the world. Sometimes multiple times.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Unlucky7 posted:

what the actual hell did I just watch

An accurate depiction of the next villain.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Hogama posted:

The latest Tales of Shadow features everyone's favorite nu mou, with a guest appearance from the former Warriors of Light, and it's all in the service of backstory to an A-rank hunt.

If you've done all the role quests, then you realize the Warriors of Light did more than cameo.

Cylva, you bitch

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Nibble posted:

The Bozja Incident feels oddly familiar, in that a similar event came up in the Crystal Tower raid story. Didn’t the Allagans try to harness some type of power that ended up being too much for the Tower and took out the surrounding area?

To a degree, yes, the Third Calamity that took out Allag was caused by Allag using the Crystal Tower to launch Dalamud, which hosed up the area and knocked the Tower underground. And then the Seventh was caused by dragging Dalamud back down.

EDIT: got bits of this wrong, to be expected when you haven't slept in 24 hours.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 10, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I've never seen a group more insistent that they beat up a kid.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Waffleman_ posted:

A librarian didn't write all the books in the library.

We don't know enough about Ancient lifespans and Amaurotian society to be able to say for certain that's true for them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Mister Olympus posted:

Summoning is weaker creation magic and Alexander was summoned with more knowledge/intelligence than the goblins that created him, so it's entirely possible for an ancient to create a book full of factual information that they do not know.

That's not quite a perfect example, because Alexander technically wasn't summoned with more intelligence, it was summoned with the capacity to learn and understand more than the Illuminati. Basically they summoned a Time Robot, and Time Robot could by nature perceive and understand things they couldn't.

Ramuh on the other hand is specifically this, he's a wise old man summoned by a bunch of sylphs with the self-awareness to know that they're pretty dumb and bad at leadership, so they summoned a wise leader.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

blatman posted:

next expansion timeskip except alphinaud rolls up to the crew 3 feet taller with tree trunk arms, an enormous beard and the same voice

I can't imagine Alphinaud being able to grow a beard

But I can imagine him thinking he can grow a beard, so it checks out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Will this mean I finally remember the Sunken Temple of Qarn's solution?

No. I will always fight the ghosts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Groggy nard posted:

Didn't someone already beat up Venat?

Not as far as we know, Venat's still in Hydaelyn and didn't get attacked beforehand or anything. Venat's also an adult, who likely has a more serious outlook on their job and so probably didn't have the same urge to go off and Be A Hero like Elidibus did. So while Zodiark's effectively an empty suit, Hydaelyn likely isn't.

Which likely explains why Hydaelyn's shown some level of self-agency over the game's story. And maybe how she kicked Zodiark's rear end thirteen different ways.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 13, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Gruckles posted:

By all accounts Zodiark was just chilling, but the Convocation were planning to ask him to do something that had the Ancients split 50/50 on whether they thought it was ethical.

It's hard to know what the actual responses to Zodiark were after the initial summonimg. If we take Fake Amaurot's NPCs as an accurate display of opinions prior to Zodiark's summoning (which personally I don't) then people were generally in favor of doing something but not clear on what, but the only reflection of opinions afterwards is the one show of the Hydaelyn summoners in Anemnesis; so, people who'd already made a heavy decision.

For all we know, nobody outside of the Convocation was happy with Zodiark afterwards. Or perhaps it's the other way around, that everyone was cool with the Zodiark plans except for Venat's crew going 'whoa, that's not cool'. Our windows into Amaurot are just too drat tiny to know for sure how people as a whole felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Mulva posted:

The first words from the heart of Zodiark after his creation, when they were deciding if they should sacrifice all the lower life forms? "Fear...not... You will make...the right choice. And I will see it through.". That's not big evil god talk.

That's evil genie talk, don't kid yourself.