Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Was just thinking about the Ardbert/Seto reunion in 5.3. I don’t think anything in this game has made me break harder than that cutscene. Just rewatched it and it broke me all over again.

Honestly it broke me harder than like anything in any media ever haha, I'm sure I confused my poor cats by immediately seeking them out for some sobbing pettings. The other big one that got me was Ardbert crossing the bridge to his friends in the credits of 5.0. They handled Ardbert so well over the story, it actually gave me much more of a visceral reaction when Elidibus started puppeting him around. That's *my* mirror universe guy, dope!

On a completely different tangent one of the other things I loved about Shadowbringers is how legit terrifying the faeries are. After Dohn Mheg and the cutscene where they gently caress up Ran'jit's business I was like holy poo poo, I'm glad they're on our side.

And while I'm looking back on the expansion I enjoyed the Sorrow of Werlyt stuff much more than I expected, since I usually don't give a gently caress about mechs. I loved all the scenes with your character piloting G-Warrior, and that they put dev time into a hangar that exists just to take glamour shots and look at pointless stats. Like someone on the dev team obviously loves this poo poo and it came through haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I gotta say I was hoping they'd go even further into crazytown with the latest Nier raid, but getting pasted by a loving skyscraper was one of my most memorable FFXIV moments lol

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Vanadium posted:

Heh, as male Au Ra I had the opposite experience where, towering over G'raha, it did not even occur to me that he was presented as possible romantic interest because I immediately filed him away as One Of The Kids along with Alisaie and my precious boy Alphinaud.

I dug G'raha as Crystal Exarch but by 5.5 it really does feel like he's on the level of the twins, especially with his wide-eyed fanboying routine

So now I'm just down to Gaius and Fordola lalalala can't hear you about fascist war crimes lalalala

Also acceptable: shacking up with Ardbert in the holodeck void that exists in the WoL's mind

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

This is probably unrelated and getting into tinfoil hat territory but one of the rooms they showed in the dungeon crawl video has a prominent spiral too:

It stood out to me because I remember thinking after the shots from Sharlayan and this that there was some kinda spiral motif this expansion.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Begemot posted:

Re: Level 86-87 MSQ stuff, The bit early on where Hermes is sad about the former Fandaniel deciding to die, and Emet insisting that it's always beautiful, actually, is very telling. Is this actually a utopia, or just a place where people are afraid to ever point out problems?

I think that's what we're meant to understand, after all the defining visual trait of their society is they wear literal masks all the time in public. Hermes only takes his mask off when you present yourself as a kindred spirit with internal darkness. I think he's not meant to be the only one quietly suffering and repressing negative emotions

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

For the last civ in the Dead Ends, I might be wrong but I got the impression from one of the notes that Meteion landing and asking them the meaning of life helped trigger their destruction, so maybe she helped harsh their mellow with her bad vibes

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Raelle posted:

This whole argument is always really strange to me considering that we go around every other FATE or sidequest culling animals or killing them to get materials for someone, or ourselves, while we the players sit at home wearing clothes often made with animal products and chowing down on animal-based foods that we certainly don't necessarily need.

When they initially introduced the Zodiark plan my first read on it was basically factory farming, they're breeding all these creatures that they view as "not human" in whatever sense in order to mass slaughter them for their own benefit.

I suspect that the difference we're intended to draw is that the "not humans" that they were going to slaughter for Zodiark are, like, literal humans and cat people and stuff right? Or did those come later somehow?

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Nessus posted:

I think tech reasons were probably why we didn't get red skies over other areas and blasphemy spawns and so on. They seem to be able to change the skybox easily enough, just not the actual main zone. (They could have had adjacent places turn red, though, and had blasphemy spawns in some of the rarely-used odd corners? I have not yet done the role quests.)

It would have been pretty baller if Eorzea had had to at least start pulling up to some kind of final stand, though, because we have our own naturally-defensive place with strong religious faith and dragon allies at home. It even has the passing advantage of having had a great miraculous positive change happen in living memory.

It mighta been cool to have something like Heroes Gauntlet except you're going through the three starting cities helping them stave off the blasphemies before you jump on the rocket. I guess it would have replaced the Aitiascope? Maybe too samey with the Heroes Gauntlet though, and they would have had to rework the narrative (and the role quests) around it.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

The ancients ideal seemed like it was to be pretty much indistinguishable from each other in physical form and just differentiate themselves based on their ideas, so maybe they fully realize that aspiration in recordings and virtual cities where they can just make everyone into a formless potato sack. We have vtubers today who project themselves in real time as big titty anime girls, if all of society agreed that was The One True Noble Aesthetic then we'd probably see a lot more of that in meeting software and poo poo (like Facebook is trying to push in that direction right now with the VR meeting stuff).

For the echo you could say that over time they've idealized their friends in their memories after thousands of years.

Ofc I'm 99% sure they just didn't have the models in the game yet but eh.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This doesn’t always work, since the adds have a variable weight - probably determined by the amount of tethers they do. They don’t always tether 8 people.

I feel like this is a bug, it'd make a lot more sense as a mechanic if each one tethered eight players consistently (also just on principle there should be a consistent strategy for where people go given that the consequence is an unavoidable raid wipe deep into an alliance raid fight)

Hmm, I guess they do have symbols over their heads tho corresponding to their weights... maybe it is intended for some reason, but I can't reckon why

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Wanna bet on a Hippo racing a Chocobo? Monetarist Plane.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I would desperately like to see their statistics on what % of players pick each option the first time through.

Ya that was my first reaction haha

I wasn't expecting much out of it but this omega questline is now probably one of my favorite questlines in the game, and I'm glad they spent a bit of time interrogating the morality of what all the ancients did. I still would like to get a bit more info on what went down with the Council Of Venat or whateva. It's really apparent how much they've updated their cutscene game in terms of music and camera work and shot composition too, even for these "smaller" sidequests.

Also did anyone else just assume that The Watcher was a copy of Hyth originally? I guess I just pulled that out of my rear end. Curious if we find out more about who they were eventually.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Azem popping up would be an enormous unforced error imo and everything we've seen so far suggests they're not going to make it. Azem is effectively the player character's avatar in the ancient world. Helps give them a more personal connection. And is kinda hilarious and also neat that WoL is effectively in the lineage of the god of adventurers (or close enough to be a god compared to the present world).

Edit: Somehow submitted that early but yeah I suspect the most we'd ever get is the back of their head briefly as a cameo or something. I think the story writing team is canny enough about the community that at this point after years of people making their own personal azem art and headcannon they're not gonna override it with Generic Insert-Your-Race facial features.

Chomposaur fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 11, 2022

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I know this is firmly in "Don't think about it" territory but I would very much like to know what bullshit my retainer is up to that he's getting poo poo from Elpis.

It'd be fun if they had a "day in the life of a retainer" side questline at some point

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Valentin posted:

There is such an NPC, but I'm not sure it's intended to be the same person as the NPC in question is a man and kind of an rear end in a top hat, and the fruit he makes is largely inedible. Plausibly it's just an obvious-ish writing beat (Ancient who grows fruit by hand rather than using creation magic!) that got used two ways, possibly by different writers. Interesting contrast to the other ways in which the writing is clearly keenly aware of the Elpis sidequests.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was, they've showed us that the gods have increasingly diverged from the people they were created from. It would be sorta funny if a cranky plant scientist dude evolved into a harvest goddess with big nattys over the years because that's just how people envisioned a god of the harvest.

Actually has anyone gone around and tried to match up all the 12 to NPCs yet? There are some NPCs people had matched up before this patch in Elpis IIRC, and given how many hints they gave to their identities at the end I wouldn't be surprised if we could find them all as easter eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

It's a good tactical move too, because once the tech stack gets outdated enough it gets much harder to recruit people willing and able to work on it. And also it seems like Square has a lot of staff jumping between projects, so keeping people sharp and current on their skills helps out there. And just helps keep people sharp in general instead of fossilizing around one particular old way of doing things. As good as stability is, it's also exciting to work on new stuff, gotta have a balance.