Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I legitimately laughed out loud at the end when Alisaie straight up complained about not getting any character development.

Also I'm gonna bet that's hinting at the twins getting new adult character models in the next expansion.

That was pretty great.

Right after the trial, when Elidibus of Light took one step and then there was that pillar of light, all I could think was 'You've activated my trap card!'

Regarding Zenos, I think we all knew his little buddy was going to be that fucker, and man did he have some great faces. Looking greatly forward to smashing his face in personally, since we didn't get to do it the first time. I just hope Zenos actually gets excited again, before we smash his face in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jim Long-un posted:

I just wanna point out that the x.3 patches are where poo poo has traditionally gotten good. 3.3 was Nidhogg and the end of the Dragonsong War, 4.3 was Tsukuyomi and a close to the Doma storyline, and now 5.3 ends the major arc of the Ascian plotline that stretches back to ARR. now we start the lead-up to the next expansion, and I'm happy to say I have no idea where this poo poo was going, and although I wish it had a different vehicle than Zenos yeet Galvus AKA Mr. 2kool 4skool himself, this game has never truly disappointed me in the seven years I've been playing it so it'd be weirder if it started now.

also, there's something delicious about Asahi, Doma's Wettest Blanket, being resurrected as an even more insipid pricklord. the part where he summons a literal giant pile of money apropos of nothing and starts capering around squealing MONEY BAHAHAHAHA MONEY....MONEY!!!!!!! had me laughing my rear end off, as did the end of the scene with Zenos dramatically slicing one of the abandoned coins in half to punctuate his edgelord monologue

I'll admit, the idea of this semi-immortal ancient being finding the concept and use of money to be the most loving hilarious thing is very amusing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

Sounds like he basically did flash-imprints of bits of people's souls, yeah. Presumably fixable or recoverable, but it's why none of them seem to have concrete identities beyond vague signifiers of their heroic deeds and pasts. I'm actually fairly confident we'll see the Necromancer again given how big a deal they made of her; the Thief is transparently just Locke from FF6.

It's a pretty cute reminder that the other Shards have their own heroic sagas though.

My running theory is that the Fourteen are tied to the same powers that the Twelve embody, since the Twelve do appear to wield concrete power in the world. After all there's seemingly a whole other galaxy or even universe beyond Hydaelyn, and the Fourteen are all tied to constellations or celestial bodies. And aether is universal, as indicated by Omega and Midgardsormr (and Ultima) all wielding it.

Hell, for all we know the whole point of Sigmascape - which they make a big deal out of it being actually a different world and not just some mythic ancient era of Hydaelyn's past being referenced like the Deltascape or Omegascape - is that the world of FF6 actually exists in the cosmos of Hydaelyn and not just "beyond the Rift."

Although, is the Rift space?

The Rift where the Ascians hang out is, I think a more metaphysical place between the shards. Space is space, and both Omega and Midgardsormr crossed it to the Source sometime after the Sundering.

What's not known is are the other shards somehow isolated into little pocket dimensions that take up the same space in the universe as the source? Like if you had a spaceship and were observing the star system from outside of it, would the other shards be detectable?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

What I want is for Feo Ul to get really loving bored with being King and just constantly loving off to the Source to follow the WoL around making commentary filling in for Midgardsormr but jealous and Scottish

:yeah:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

we do fight varis earlier on... at the negotiating table. its a nice homage to ff6 where you go and negotiate with the empire for no reason before kefka kills the emperor and plunges things into chaos

that also makes zenos kefka in this scenario...

someone should probably keep him away from the warring triad

The last thing we need is Zenos hijacking Sephirot, because with the extra arms he could use all his katanas at once.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Ysale never sacrificed herself to become Shiva. Shiva was a temporary transformation for Ysale, not a permament fixture. Similarly with Pheonix and Louisoix.

Elidibus is still unique, because he's out there being Elidibus, and Zodiark is still out there being chunks of Zodiark.

Isn't it also a thing that Eorzean Primals are a purposefully 'corrupted' version of creation magic, since they're designed to increase the aether imbalance and make it easier to free Zodiark?

It makes sense that a 'Primal' created by the untainted ritual, with the full power and wisdom of the Ancients of Amaurot would work differently.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Why did mortals make a male Ifrita?

Because Lahabrea taught them how to summon wrong, as a joke.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Xun posted:

Does anyone else hear Dr.Orpheus screaming "ITS POWERED BY A FORSAKEN CHILD?!?!" every time Zodiark comes up now?

I do now.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought Gaius learning the origin story of Garlemald as an Ascian ploy from the ground up was why he went all Shadowhunter

I don't think he knows this, he's just doing it because he got done dirty by Lahabrea.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

do we know exactly what laws of reality were changed/rewritten by Zodiark? i wonder how that whole ordeal changed life on other planets.

I'd think it was just local to the world we're on, where it did something about whatever the hell was making the Ancients go crazy and summon monsters uncontrollably. I mean, whatever the hell that is would be an expansion hook all on its own.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I think that's been the implication so far, that their creation magic got out of control somehow and a collective panic just made everything worse. Of course they created Zodiark too, so even if there's no underlying thing there that had an objective existence to begin with, that doesn't mean it isn't real now, and potentially a threat again once mom and dad crystal stop fighting. I'm kind of hoping for a twist that demonstrates there's more to reality than just the Ascians though, since it's sad to think we might have run out of big cosmological reveals otherwise.

We already know that there's other life in the universe, Dragons and Omega both come from other planets.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Regula is indeed the one in Sapphire Weapon. It's kinda understandable that someone might've missed that, since unlike Nael, he doesn't get a big spotlight cutscene, he just appears and gets lines partway through the fight where you're mostly preoccupied with piloting a straight-up Gundam.

Yeah I'd guess whatever system they're using to try and make their artificial jobstones to power the Weapons probably picked up on the nutso poo poo that happened to Nael due to being Tempered and nobody knew it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eox posted:

Well they did just spend half a patch talking about the Great Ship Limsa Lominsa

So you're saying the elevator in the Bulwark Hall has a secret down button that leads to the ancient allagan artifact that'll launch the entire city into the sky while draining all the aether out of vylbrand?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

Here's a very basic level comparison that no one's touching on. The empire takes over an area and drains it's resources and manpower in a different manner but has maybe worse consequences than the primals they claim to be their objective. They're a primal empire

Exactly, the Empire was created to be a catalyst of a Calamity, and succeeded with Project Meteor. It just so happened that it could have managed another because Elf Grandpa mitigated the destruction it caused.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

if hydalen and zodiark are both primals, and primals drain the aether of whatever region they're in, how have they not sucked all the aether out of the entire universe by now?

also in the 5.3 warrior of light fight, was that the real emet selch back from the dead? I hope so, I really liked that guy.

I have a feeling the Primals we fight are summoned using a lesser version of the same magic. We see that the Ancients can create self-sustaining creations just fine, and I guess that sundered souls simply can't handle the ritual. Not to mention they likely wouldn't teach the whole, complete ritual to their patsies.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gearhead posted:

We are not actually SURE, I don't think, what happens to Voidsent, especially powerful Voidsent, when you kill them. There's been a lingering notion that destroying a Voidsent's body just sends them back to the Void and the 13th to reform. Keep in mind, Lahabrea didn't actually die until his aether was completely exhausted in the Eye during the act of summoning Shinryu, and Lahabrea was barely hanging on to any sense of his self at the time he got shoved in the Eye.

Wasn't the whole point of the Nullstone that it could permanently gently caress up Voidsent?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gearhead posted:

There is also the possibility that Elidibus did not know. Suffice it to say, one way or another, Pandemonium seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

Given that Lahabrea was in charge of Academia Anyder in Amaurot, we're likely going to be cleaning up experiments of his in some way.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

multijoe posted:

They already did Gurren Lagann when we shot a Giga Fell Cleaver through Emet-Selch's chest

I was thinking more Erupting God Finger when we did that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

It's honestly kind of weird we're going to so many of the places we haven't been yet. Garlemald, Thavnair, Sharlayan, the loving moon... What's left for after this? I'm excited.

There's still the New World and Meracydia.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

They're just as capable of causing calamities and rejoinings as any of the unsundered. Most of that just comes from scheming and manipulating people.

Whether they want to or not is a different matter.

I'm not sure they can move between shards on their own like the Unsundered can without the aid of the Unsundered, which would make the calamity/rejoining timing almost impossible to pull off.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Right after Paglth'an, how are the Amalj'aa allying with Ul'dah? I thought they were still tempered and against everyone else, but I might be unsure how prolific the Angelo squad were. Were the untempered Amalj'aa still hostile until we proved we were good eggs by taking out Lunar Bahamut?

I also wonder if they're going to do something with all the beast tribe questlines since almost all of them pit the good groups against the hostile tempered ones, and for some like the sahagin they can't just handwave "but THESE ones are still hostile and irreversibly tempered". Wonder if it's just gonna be a CUL questline situation where it's about making the Sultana's dinner even while she's presumed dead.

The Amalj'aa in Paglth'an are hostile,but not yet driven to summoning Ifrit. The ones you fight in Thanalan are the tempered ones, and the Brotherhood of Ash only care about opposing their tempered brothers for being weak. After our interference at Paglth'an, we've won over the non-tempered Amalj'aa, doubly so with the promise of a cure for tempering.

It does leave the Sahagin as a bit of a loose end, they did show up at the conference to stand against the Telephori, but you can bet they won't leave the issue of their nesting grounds unaddressed, since that's the main reason they're on land in the first place.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

Hraesvelgr has some in his battle arena. Interestingly, they're called "holy sprites," which reinforces the idea that Hrasevelgr himself is a quasi-divine being.

We also can infer that Midgardsormr and his children are basically Unsundered, as they come from another star, even if the latter were born on Hydaelyn, the eggs were carried there by Middy.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

At least one of the convocation stones makes mention of them feeling their own soul being changed - likely what we call tempering. A primal tempering all of their summoners, but not necessarily everyone else in the city/country/whatever, is in line with what we know about summoning.

Presumably Hydaelyn tempered her summoners as well, the ones that survived anyways.

Ysale/Shiva is a weird case, because she's the only direct summoner, but she still has prayer and stuff going her way.

Other primals will by existence temper their surroundings, but it's a gradual and potentially slow process unless enforced by the primal's will.

Presumably the Ascians were Tempered more like Tiamat was, where they are aware of it, but able to ignore it somewhat unless the one that did it was, you know, right there.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I AM THE MOON posted:

yeah Seiryu is the weakest Lord for sure. just not memorable

Infuriating how many times I had to run his trial to get my dog.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I wonder if they were writing Endwalker when they decided to make Crystal Tower mandatory, it wasn't until 5.3 right?

Anyway, I just finished the 87 dungeon and the events afterwards, that was a cute way to tie off all the loose ends of the time travel... but I'm not sure if it really did? Wouldn't the future we go back to still be a different timeline, since Venat remembers everything and managed to put a trace on Meteios? Would that have happened regardless, for some other reason? I'm not sure how this aligns with how we've seen time travel work before, it seems like it's operating on different rules. Maybe it'll be explained later.

Also that dungeon was awesome, I loved doing it with trusts. Though I was a DPS and wished I could swap Emet and Venat's roles around. Very funny that Hythlodaeus says that he sucks at fighting and then it turns out he's a bard :v:

It seems like Venat/Hydaelyn was aware that we had been to Elpis before we went, so it's a stable time loop sort of thing. Hard to say why the CT going back in time to the First had a different result. Maybe it's because we weren't fully in Elpis until we got a dose of aether from a local source in Emet-Selch?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

on the flipside this feels like its exceedingly unfair for zenos if you're a roe monk

Hell, being a catgirl monk made it awesome. I got to punch someone! In a cutscene!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Begemot posted:

Ultima isn't an Ascian, she's a weird god from another dimension, just like in FFT. I liked that they didn't tie that part in to the regular FFXIV stuff, there's just other wild poo poo out there that's unconnected to the whole Amaurotine thing!

The whole zodiac stone thing is an interesting plot hook, though. Didn't they have similar auracite in the Bozja storyline? I never got very far in that. I imagine they'll pick it up again if they ever have that writer do another arc.

Yeah, there were more mentions of Auracite in Bozja, some of the bosses use it to transform into monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Also in the final zone I like how the Ea are like "yeah we transcended our corporeal forms, but we want them back." "Oh, because you miss like sensations and stuff?" "Oh no, we're just filled with existential dread at the concept of entropy and want to kill ourselves, but in like a proper way."

They're also extremely chill about it all and after the MSQ they can still go 'hey, that's kind of neat and refreshing. I still want to die, but maybe I can wait around a while instead'