Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I think Final Fantasy 14 might own, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm a dumb dumb and just realized Elidibus was doing all the moves from the classes during the trial.

Brilliant

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm disappointed that there's never a dialogue option to call him Raha. I guess the WOL likes to keep things formal.

WoL see's how thirsty he is for them and doesn't want to encourage it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ImpAtom posted:

The WoL basically ended the expansion running hand in hand with him and giggling.

Alisaie's actual reason for discontent becomes clear, stemming not from not getting any new outfits but that G'raha Tia muscling in on her turf of staring starry eyed at the WoL.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Waffleman_ posted:

Meanwhile my WoL was getting flustered when she saw that Y'shtola smiles as she threatens to take her over her knee

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Terper posted:

We'll get the option during our wedding.

It'll be cold comfort for him when we're up at the alter with Y'shtola :colbert:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
So is like Elidibus' soul just chilling in the Crystal Tower forever? I'm not sure how cool i am with that especially since it's somewhat ambiguous if he was a kid and the last moments we saw him was weeping for all those he lost and failed.

They were all monstrous and had to die but I dunno if want to consign him to eternity bound to a tower.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 13, 2020

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
So correct me if I'm wrong but killing an Ascian means basically busting them up and sending them to the life stream, which is why I was concerned with Elidibus because it seemed like just sticking him in a box forever and not killing him.

Thematically, never dying and living forever seemed to be part of what made the Unsundered so awful

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Yeah, I guess that's what I meant. Did we smash up Elidibus' soul or did we just stick him in a Crystal Tower pokeball? Sundering him and putting his echos into the life stream like all the other souls is something I'm good with but the other is oof I dunno.

G'Raha Tia shouting about "now I have your soul!" gets a whole different connotation.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Wait, we clutched Azem's crystal and wished upon it with all our hear lol if we made a Emet Selch primal to save us.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

hobbesmaster posted:

Why couldn't he use living dead.

He does!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

erenoyo posted:

The "Elidibus is a child" theory doesn't really convince me for one reason: why would a sitting member of the council of leadership for their society be a child? I think people are just reading too much into that he appeared small at the end. He never acts childish -- his black and white worldview is a result of him being a primal, not a kid

Alphinaud

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 17, 2020

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If you don't like Mini Y'shtola I'll fight you right now

Just look at her!!!

All shall love her and despair

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
What I want is for Feo Ul to get really loving bored with being King and just constantly loving off to the Source to follow the WoL around making commentary filling in for Midgardsormr but jealous and Scottish

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Cythereal posted:

Thancred was pure soul on the First, he technically didn't have a material body. So not sure that would have worked.

I've got a book for you that might be educational. It's called THE BIBLE GET YOURSELF TO CHURCH

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I miss Midgardsormr :(

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SirSamVimes posted:

he has earned his nap

He was napping for fifteen years!

Just want to have him and Feo Ul to dramatically appear to poo poo talk me like my own fantasy royal Statler and Waldorf :(

Jetrauben posted:

To be fair, I'm not actually entirely sure that's true. Emet seem to have had a very indecisive attitude towards his nation-states; whether it's just because of the scope of time involved in the span between "prosperous empire" and "dissolving catastrophe engine" he seems to have taken pains to build empires he found at least somewhat personally appealing. For example, in his guise as Solus, encouraging the arts and creativity in Garlemald doesn't exactly suit its fascistic purposes. If nothing else, since Emet presumably perceives time like a Spoken and not a dragon, he doesn't exactly go into centuries-long naps, so he's gotta spend time in the places he builds.

Emet seems to have repeatedly tried to go native, in the same way that Elidibus seems to have encouraged and posed as heroes throughout the history of the various Shards even if he was not actually the original Warrior of Light. (He explicitly says he's imitating the Warrior of Light.)

Going to plays while you're sitting around waiting for your engineered evil empire to commit crimes while blowing up planetary populations doesn't exactly halt the boot stomping on the human face forever behaviors you set them up to do.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 25, 2020

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I DIDNT KNOW I WANTED THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING UNTIL JUST NOW

Mordiceius posted:

I think the thing that I absolutely love about the FFXIV story (and specifically Shadowbringers) is how much Zodiark has been recontexualized from "he's a big evil god." Because he's not a big evil god. He is a primal summoned to save the world. And he did just that.

Primals are summoned when people are praying desperately for salvation and Crystal Mama doesn't happen if Zodiark is just chilling after everything is fine

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 13, 2020

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mulva posted:

Zodiark didn't actually do poo poo. And as of the newest story, he didn't call for poo poo to be done either. The first words from the heart of Zodiark after his creation, when they were deciding if they should sacrifice all the lower life forms? "Fear...not... You will make...the right choice. And I will see it through.". That's not big evil god talk. Nor is it a call for soooooooouls! On no level that we've been presented was Zodiark ever an antagonistic force. The Convocation, sure, not great if you are a lesser being. Zodiark is exactly what it was created to be: The will of the star, that could save people from oblivion.

Then what was the purpose of creating a primal to kill another primal if everything was fine? Moderate dissatisfaction isn't enough emotion to do the deed especially for one powerful enough to sunder Zodiark.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

cheetah7071 posted:

I keep calling her asking to fight and she doesn't pick up

Line's busy, she's leaving voice mails on Magnai's linkperl where she's just shouting "little sun!" over and over

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's not final fantasy until we kill our dad then god

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SirSamVimes posted:

Also the new Astral Era is spearheaded by the Ironworks and guided by Midgardsormir does that mean high tech dragon society?

Tiamat ends her period of mourning, becomes queen of the world. Everybody dances.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

jokes posted:

Typical Dad poo poo, lol. When he lets you gently caress up and, only when it's absolutely necessary, he steps in (Omega cutscene). Dragon Dad is awesome.

Come back soon :smith:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Jetrauben posted:

G'raha is, himself, a very smol hero.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BashfulCoweringTildeTBCheesePull

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Can't wait till the twins overthrow poo poo dad and make Krile Queen of the Nerds in Sharlayan

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

No way Tataru wants to rule an island of Alphinauds

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bruceski posted:

Estinien's been so fun for the path of the Dragoon. Originally they fought alongside dragons. Then the war started and they were trained to fight dragons. Then he gets possessed/corrupted by a dragon, and now he's fighting alongside dragons again.

What I'm saying is give Dragoons a buddy in EW.

They even have a babby dragon in the Dragoon story line that could hang out with the WoL and murder stuff with.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

the_steve posted:

I think the Sharlayans are just the sort of elitist douchebags who look at the calamities going on and think "Yeah, well we're better than them. As long as we survive, nothing of value will be lost :smuggo:"

So Sharlayan is our Amaurot

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Raelle posted:

We always see stories of long-lost, ancient civilizations that "fell to their own hubris," so it always bewilders me when I see people want to reduce Shadowbringers' much more nuanced take to the same old thing. Amaurot was as effective as it was because it, refreshingly and convincingly, went out of its way to mostly paint its residents as innocent victims and well-meaning people. Like, there's an entire quest explaining that their creation magic is something in-born and natural to them to the point that even babies can do it. Blaming them for something like that is and would be really hosed up. Emet's grief isn't outlined as misguided, it's underscored as justified. The Amaurotines deserved to live. We deny them that because the people of the fragments also have a right to live, and their existence and ours is a zero-sum game. That's why it hits so hard. That's why Emet points out that the victor of your fight will be the hero and the loser will be the villain, whatever happens. That's why, by killing him and the last hopes of Amaurot, "you have done a great and terrible thing."

I constantly see aspersions about Amaurot and how awful it must have been from various people about how they totally deserved what they got and brought it on themselves and I always can't help but think that there's no way they're actually reading the text, but projecting what they've been trained to see from just about every other fantasy story of ancient civilizations. It's really striking that the first instinct when we see an entire people massacred is often to look for the reason they deserved it.

They did kinda let the rest of the world burn and didn't find them worth saving until Amaurot was in danger. Amaurot's people not just the Ascians. They didn't deserve to be wiped out but they collectively as a people decided the rest of the world getting hosed wasn't their problem and it bit them in the rear end.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Waffleman_ posted:

Hm, sounds familiar.

That makes Louisoix the Azem! Motherfucker wanted to save the world so his grandkids could have grapes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Doublestep posted:

The Sound emanated from the center of the planet, affecting the entirety of it at the same time. There were political differences between Amaurot and the rest of the world, but it had nothing to do with the Final Days.

The sidequest Debate Club poo poo was about interventionalism with city-state politics, it was literally just a debate exercise, it has nothing to do with the collapse of the Ancients.

Hythlodeus says the Sound started but it ramped up not that everything went bonkers.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Raelle posted:

This is another thing I see repeated constantly, that I'm not sure where people get it from. Yes, there's the quest with the debate between two random civilians, but that's what it was: a debate to pass the time and help the player understand the overall situation for the Ancients. Otherwise, we hear about them dispatching research teams to capture some of the End of Days monsters, working on counter-measures in the form of the Guardian Forces, and we hear from the streets people talking about the Convocation debating fiercely on how to fix the problem to the point of describing the vagaries of the Zodiark plan.

It seems kind of weird that the quest that maybe touches on this most directly is explicitly a (private) debate between two people who disagree on how to handle the situation, but we still get readings like "they collectively as people decided..."

They didn't actually care about the subject it was an rhetorical exercise about what to do they were just arguing for fun as that was what that one person liked to do and was literally walking around town trying to get people to debate him like that meme of the guy in the chair with the sign. Azem was viewed as a giant weirdo for actually going out and seeing the world and helping people not of Amarout.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Raelle posted:

Yes, so you agree that the quest is about two random people who have little to no actual say in the matter, one of whom just likes to debate, rather than reflection of something that "they as a people collectively decided?"

Also, Azem's position in going out to see the world and make connections was their official job. Like, they're assigned to do that by the Convocation. They were seen as a weirdo because they wanted to go punch out a volcano to save grapes, which seems pretty reasonable to me, and even then, Elidibus and Emet basically had their back.

The fact two randos were having an intellectual debate about actual bad things happening in the world as some sort of lark, neither of which really took the topic as something serious to care about other than as a position, says something about what the people of Amarout value in the places that are not Amarout.

As much as the Convocation gave Azem the job of finding problems and fixing them, it's noted them being so stuffy and detached from the world and suprised Azem actually did their job is why Emet and Hythlodeus liked Azem in the first place

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Our farm is on the land no contest sorry moon!

YES bread posted:

no it doesn't. engaging in debate about real world topics because you love debate is not a sign of sociatal-wide moral failing no matter how hard you stretch

Uh if it's during the Final Days and they're talking about the rest of the planet getting mulched up it kinda has a different context to a normal academic discourse.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 18, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Raelle posted:

Source your quotes, please!

I misremembered, it was Hythlodeus and Elidibus in Tales from the Shadows

quote:

As everyone knew, concepts were stored in the Bureau of the Architect, and not all could be readily removed for personal use. The chief of the bureau, however, could grant access as he pleased.

Who else indeed. I pictured my friend cheerfully sending Azem off to battle without a second thought. Forgetting my mask, I clapped my palm to my forehead in exasperation─which Elidibus duly took as a sign that I understood.

quote:

Blissfully ignorant of my misgivings, the young man smiled to himself again, and bade me farewell. As he wandered away, I swore I heard him murmur something about Azem's "ever refreshing perspective."

Doublestep posted:

but its not. its in a facsimile of amaurot created by emet selch where everything is relatively normal

Isn't it supposed to be a snapshot right before the Convocation decides to do the Zodiark plan?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Come back daddy Middy, we need you for the end times

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Veev posted:

.... keep skanking.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

hazardousmouse posted:

He's dicking around cause that's how he gets our attention. Poor dude is so busted he literally doesn't know any other way of getting us to come over other than committing atrocities

Are we talking about Zenos or Moofia?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Eimi posted:

I am ready to serve, again.

Even in Death Unto Dawn I still surf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Not to start an argument but why do people use spoiler tags in the spoiler thread? I thought that was the entire purpose of the thread?