Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the little apothecary girl in the crystarium is going to grow up to be an atelier protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The WoL has a few special powers that mostly grant well-defined minor boons. Like being immune to tempering, etc. Even the fact that we're the sundered soul of Azem I don't think has really mattered for our power level other than being able to use their soulstone without needing to train or practice like we do with the job stones

most of the wol's power level is just being frighteningly, monstrously good at killing things. The best at it, really, after dethroning former murder champ Zenos Yae Galvus

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

I suppose you can make the argument that the WoL ability to inspire and gather companions came from Azem, but I think that is more a parallel and a natural consequence at being really good at adventuring, which Azem himself was

Even then, my read isn't that it "came from" Azem so much as "the kind of person you are persists through reincarnation"

so Azem is good at the same things as the WoL, not because Azem earned it for us and we're reaping the rewards, but because we have the same soul and have similar personalities as a result, which in turn results in similar behaviors and similar outcomes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It'd be kind of weird to have him be a prominent part of two expansions in a row but I guess Alisaie got to be part of the main team in both Stormblood and Shadowbringers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly I'm not that attached to the scions themselves, our newest catboy friend excluded. The characters invented for each new expansion tend to be more interesting to me than the ones rolled over from the last one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
thinking about it, I am very disappointed that we never got the opportunity to call our friend Raha

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
can't wait for some idiot with a wagon full of crystals to bring elidibus back

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
this probably got speculated on a lot already during 5.2 but the fact that the weapon storyline uses the 8th legion means we might see time compression by the end of it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh I think I just misread VIIth as VIIIth cause I was tired and got excited

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like a lot of the themes present in Zenos' character even if the writing fell a bit flat in Stormblood, but I think the fact that he starts respecting you rather than starting not giving a poo poo about you will help a lot. Plus, if anyone can make Zenos a good villain, it's Ishikawa.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the story of ffxiv has had the consistent theme of "violence is often necessary but always hosed up" whereas the gameplay has been "violence loving RULES" and the inherent tension there is a story hook that Zenos tries (inexpertly) to say something about. I liked that, even if it was executed kind of poorly, and would love to see it done again but better

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It sounded like this happened in 5.3 as well, completely offscreen

I think there's a difference between the sundered red masks, who are members of the convocation who have been manually unsundered by gathering up the their souls from the various worlds, and the black masked ascians who are just cannon fodder

at this point I honestly expect defeating a sundered red mask to be the kind of thing that has little enough fanfare they could do it in a dungeon instead of a trial

black masks are the mobs leading up to the boss in that dungeon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my understanding is that concepting and outlining is a team process but someone has to actually commit the words to paper (and then rewriting and editing is again a team process). Ishikawa handled the Coerthas sections of ARR, some things in HW I forget what, the Doma sections of Stormblood, and the entire MSQ for Shadowbringers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's definitely some weird trigger for when he'll use hallowed. It isn't every time you LB. I've heard people say it will only happen when he has a castbar active

e: in that clip he didn't though

I have no loving clue lol. He does it sometimes and doesn't do it others

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 17, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The job of Elidibus might have been mostly ceremonial before the cataclysm, too--Elidibus says that disagreements over the fate of the star were rare and fleeting before the final disagreement over Zodiark

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are there any missable lines that explain why Emet-Selch and Lahabrea escaped being sundered? If not, I hope that gets explored in a future patch. I've had the idea in my head of there being an additional unsundered who wasn't on the convocation and escaped notice by the ascians. Possibly someone on team Hydaelyn. If nothing else, it seems reasonably likely that Hydaelyn has a living ancient at her heart just like Zodiark.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

What do you think we are

very clearly a sundered being

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rand Brittain posted:

Didn't they say explicitly that Venat is that guy?

my memory of even one patch ago is shaky, I guess

It's clearly possible to meet Venat, in the same way we met Elidibus, and I hope we do (and then kick his rear end too)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
fandaniel will be dead by level 87, calling my shot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There was a period of time when the amaurotines lived alongside "lesser", but still pre-sundering, beings. The Zodiark faction wanted to genocide the lesser beings to resurrect the dead amaurotines, and the Hydaelyn faction wanted to, and succeeded in, genociding the remaining Amaurotines to save the lesser beings. Azem did not align with either faction and they're honestly both kind of reprehensible compared to the hypothetical third path of just not genociding anyone

I don't know if it will happen, but I could easily see a scenario where Hydaelyn has been suppressing knowledge of a non-cataclysmic way to stitch the world back together because her goal is to stop Zodiark, not to ensure the best outcome for the world.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hydaelyn is still better than Zodiark in the current status quo because Zodiark still wants to do some more genocides, and Hydaelyn was satisfied with just the one. I don't expect us to actually turn on her any time soon for that reason, even if we break off our alliance. Maybe once Zodiark is dead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I could see some people being annoyed at the idea that the WoL has no longer "earned" their accomplishments, because they were born special, but I think that's a misreading of the situation

The only special benefits we've gotten from having a fragment of Azem's soul are the echo (which is a property of all sundered souls, seemingly) and we attuned to the Azem job stone remarkably quickly

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 19, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jetrauben posted:

Idk, I think assuming that Hydaelyn has some malignant desire of her own is questionable. She hasn't been wholly honest with us, but she hasn't really lied, either. We don't quite have a specific unbiased account of the original Sundering and what caused it. Hell, I'm not even sure I'd call the Sundering a genocide - from Emet's metaphor, it seems to me more like all the various younger life-forms spawned by the Amaurotines just got forked into multiple worlds unaware of the others.

I'm assuming here that there were still a decent number of amaurotines left at the time of the sundering, who were then all forcibly sundered, other than Lahabrea and Emet-Selch. I guess some part of that assumption could be false, and expanding on exactly what happened during the struggle between Hydaelyn and Zodiark is an obvious place to go in the next expansion

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zenos seems to have a deeper connection to his Ancient pre-self than most sundered souls do, what with regular dreams of the starshower. I suspect that's why he has a larger percentage of what Ascians can do than the average person with the echo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like the sacrifice of 3/4 of all amaurotines is probably enough aether to keep Zodiark around indefinitely as long as it's just existing and not actively trying to use that aether (because it can't, because of the sundering). Compare Thordan, who seemed to think that he could sustain a primal summoning more or less indefinitely by pulling on the aether of Nidhogg's eye, without needing to pull aether from the land.

Hydaelyn is a more interesting point, both because she was fueled by a smaller sacrifice, and because we explicitly see her saying "whoops I used too much aether, gotta recharge, brb". Makes you wonder where the aether she needs comes from, and does suggest the ending where we fight her because she is pulling it from the star, like most primals

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

The first Eden boss' ultimate is also heavily leaning on Supernova, it not in name and appearance, but definitely in spirit.

It's based on the Eden summon from FF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Nqt0B3MHQ

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
even the attack being annoyingly long to resolve is a reference

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thinking about Hythlodaeus saying how heavy the burden of your promise to Emet-Selch must be, to remember the Amaurotines. I hope there's some content at some point, either in the msq or in some side content, about you doing something to fulfill that promise, and do something to ensure that the memory of the ancients doesn't die with you. A monument, or a book, or something that will outlive you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I really expect the twins to have a sudden growth spurt and get adult elezen bodies in the next expansion. Maybe there'll be a timeskip during the 5.x content, or maybe they just won't be part of the active party during 6.0 and when we meet up again they've grown

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's very likely that being a sundered soul is necessary to gain the echo, but it seems like different people need different amounts of prodding to awaken. Elidibus put extra effort into the starshower at Eulmore than the one at the Crystarium, presumably to catch people who weren't awakened the first time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They're still sundered, I think, because the creation happened before the sundering. But they're not reincarnations of an Ancient.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it's almost guaranteed we'll meet Hydaelyn's heart whose name I forget before this is done but I hope when they explain why Emet-Selch and Lahabrea are unsundered (which I have to assume they'll get to) it comes to light that there's another, non-convocation (and thus non-Ascian) unsundered who has just been lying low. Or even just written records; it would just be nice to see an alternate viewpoint of the ancient events from someone who isn't dedicated to Zodiark, and ideally not to Hydaelyn either

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zenos is gonna get a "redemption" arc where he just refuses to ever stay dead so we give up on killing him and just give him a linkpearl and say he can just call and say "fite me" any time and we'll come running, no need to do a genocide just to get our attention

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Isn't this just Sadu?

I keep calling her asking to fight and she doesn't pick up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A new expansion typically has three trial bosses, four raid bosses, and twenty four dungeon bosses

All of them Zenos

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do we know which ascian was responsible for Bahamut? I almost wonder if it was Emet-Selch, hoping that these unsundered aliens would be worthy inheritors of the star and he can finally give up and rest, only to be disappointed again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dragons being unsundered, with aether capacities as high or higher as amaurotines, seems like something they'd at least be interested in

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the amount of aether elder dragons have is truly astonishing. Between them, we see Nidhogg's eyes:

-fight a pitched battle against another dragon eye (the aery fight vs nidhogg)
-summon a calamity-level primal (thordan) with enough left over that thordan believes he can exist as a primal indefinitely just using the aether in the eye, not needing to absorb it from the land
-kill two ascians, including one unsundered, by matching them aether for aether
-fight a pitched battle against each other (thordan fight)
-reconstruct an elder dragon body out of nothing
-fight another pitched battle against another elder dragon eye (final steps of faith)
-summon another calamity-level primal (shinryu)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the story of G'raha/the ironworks in the black rose future really gives the lie to Emet-Selch's narrative: when faced with the end of the world, he thinks that the current sundered inhabitants of the star could not save it like the Ancients did. But in exactly that situation, they performed a feat just as ridiculous as the summoning of Zodiark. And while it isn't half the population, G'Raha was willing to sacrifice himself to see that plan to completion, just like the Ancients were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't read the new story so maybe it clarifies but my recollection from the Twinning notes is that time travel was reverse engineered from Alexander, and they reverse engineered Omega to figure out how to aim the crystal tower's existing rift-traveling technology at a new place without getting lost