Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
You wait at spots and Arenvald comes running up to you instead of you going to talk to him but doing it in New Game+ the actual content hasn't changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Emet-Selch straight tells you he doesn't consider the sundered people so it's not murder. He thought when everyone was "whole" again they'd realize how empty their previous lives were and killing them to get it back was a mercy.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Keep in mind after Azem left the convocation they also refused to help summon Hydaelyn, so they seemed to know creating a second God to do their work wasn't a 100% good idea even if they had noble intentions.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Presumably wandering the land looking for another way to solve the problem like they always did.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Gearhead posted:

The other possibility is that one of the reasons Zenos IS so jaded is because this was something done to him previously and nothing is a challenge for him anymore.

Zenos was already drawing power from his blades when you first fight him, which is before Fordala gets her own Resonant powers. By all rights, none of the mystical abilities he demonstrates during that fight make any sense for a Garlean to be using, and they do not have the distinctive Ceruleum design language demonstrated by Regula and Gaius.

Zenos is different from the very start.

It's quite possible that he did not actually try pushing himself until the Warrior of Light started actually upping their game.

Zenos was taught swordsmanship by a foreign swordsman and had a crystal embedded in his hand to make up for the fact he couldn't use the swordsman's techniques due to being Garlean; It's in a short story outside of the game. The story ends with him killing his teacher and being depressed it was so easy.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

FunkyFjord posted:

Again, I don't really know yet but I don't like him so far. I'm also really new to ffxiv and maybe having every story bit up to current made some past villians not come off like this to me. Were any previous villians recieved similarly? I guess I somewhat frequently see Zenos hate in here, I don't share that but I can totally understand how anyone would think he's ultra boring.

I feel like people felt similarly about Asahi, so fitting I guess.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

cheetah7071 posted:

Gaia resisting Lohgrif does make me wonder how often that happens though. Like Elidibus wakes up Igeyorhm's latest sundered soul and he gets told to gently caress off and he just has to try again with the next one

Normally they just do it, instead of tormenting them for years until they eventually take control so I imagine it just hasn't come up.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
The Weapons trials have made me think that maybe the FF7 weapons were never cool.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Also they aren't doing near as much community stuff due to no one being able to travel so we aren't getting any "I can't talk about it but <Job> players are gonna be really excited."

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
The scenario I have made up in my head is that they're replacing egis with another Bahamut style so you just rotate through big things now. They could just give you the new summon at a lower level or do it like MCH and make Ifrit egi identical to Bahamut but with less damage and it just upgrades to Bahamut later.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Just make the phases more like Phoenix which changes how you play and less like Bahamut which is allergic to moving and will full wyrmwave when the servers align with Jupiter.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Oxyclean posted:

Cheers.

so it's more that Fandaniel just took on Asahi's form for funsies? To gently caress with Zenos? No real explanation yet?

Asahi was as a high ranking member of the Brutus house, which was pretty rich. His position combined with Fandaniel being way more competent than Asahi allowed him to basically fund the civil war and start project like the towers.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Also that ship with the Populares never made it back to Garlemald, and the rest of his troop retreated before they could get his body, so no one in Garlemald knew Asahi was dead.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

When did Hydaelyn lie?

Mostly by omission. She doesn't have anything to do with giving people the echo, she just claims people first once they acquire it and lets them assume she gave it to them.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Zodiark's actual character is still something that's sorely missing. All we really know is they do what is asked of them, even Elidibus's extreme version of tempering was just constantly being flooded by pleas for help.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Ancients did not exclusively exist on the First. The Amaurot on the First is an echo of Emet Selch's memory and that architecture could feasibly exist on all the shards.

They implied that all the calamities on the source probably destroyed all of Amaurot, and even without them it's not like they're in great shape on the first.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

With 6.0 being the end of the HyZo story, does that means no more blessing of light? I'm still really curious about that 'treachurous crystal' line from the translated HW motif in the trailer.

We've kinda been rocking our own homemade blessing of light since Heavansward anyway.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

erenoyo posted:

It's the same blessing. We didn't make a new one. midgardsormr locked it away and we unlocked it over the course of HW

Midgardsormr used the rest of it to make his new body, and we reforge it ourselves over the course of HW.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Cleretic posted:

Got it, Christian third wave ska it is.

.... keep talking.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Oh you don't say.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
What the hell is the end of Bozja? Misija is just like instantly forgiven for everything and then Gabranth and the entire IVth legion are defeated and Dalmasca is freed, off screen. Also Diabolos is still alive, maybe?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Gaius's ARR goal was to subjugate Eorzea before they could start summoning more primals and gently caress things up even further, he just went about it in literally the worst way possible morally, logistically, just every decision he did exactly the wrong thing.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

thetoughestbean posted:

Well there’s also one opportunistic Seeq that will not stop trying to recruit you

Dude's got a company to feed and he's gonna get paid one way another.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Jetrauben posted:

It is, although I also kind of find it a bit...tonally weird, given it's basically perfect Garlean propaganda?

"We replaced a decadent and superstitious elite of corrupt merchants and indifferent nobility with an egalitarian reign by and for the Real People!" is, well...loaded coming from an authoritarian imperial state. On the other hand, that was basically Napoleon's whole pitch, so it's not wholly inaccurate, and Gabranth is definitely a plausible example of a successor state warlord. Garlemald was basically designed to shatter Alexander-style.

The whole "they would totally be the heroes!" thing is a little undercut by just how many war crimes the 4th Legion commits, though.

What Ninja tie-in, though? I'm still only partly through Zadnor.

Kind of hidden in the notes but Gabranth's style was never very popular in Garlemald and his Legion was the only one that had more natural citizens than Garlean ones, and with more of them in important roles.

I don't think they hit it and the fact Sicinius is just there at the end despite multiple, multiple crimes against nature but they tried to show he was different. As opposed to Gaius who was pure Garlean ideology, Gabranth actually had his own, different way of doing things.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Once you start getting internal damage that's where cutscene magic stops working.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
I think Dabog dies in the final duel, not that it matters because Sicinius has been turning people into clones of Dabog that retain his pilot skills. Heck I don't even think the Dabog we fight is even the first one.

Also the notes mention that a large amount of the IVth legion integrated into Bozja(Dalmasca?) so if they really wanted to we could end up working with Pagaga and Daguza.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Cleretic posted:

I'm curious on where you get the idea that he's turning people into clones of Dabog, rather than just growing new ones, which is the idea I got.

And my reading on how Sicinius talked about Dabog is that the original is dead--and might've been dead before we even turned up. He's just still cranking out new clones, with either a system that doesn't have degradation going on, or just without caring if degradation is happening.

We see people get hypertuned and it involves someone stepping into the chamber. Sicininius's major innovation was adding perfect memory transfer to the process too, and he even made it make people look like Dabog too because he's a perfectionist sociopath.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
It would be straight ridiculous to have it talk like Diabolos, use his signature skill, and be made specifically to house him and not have it actually be Diabolos.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Pyronic posted:

My understanding is that Azem was basically never present for city politics etc, travelling around and helping people as things got worse and worse. He might not have even known about either Zodiark or Hydaelyn before it happened.

I believe it's mentioned Azem turned down the offer both times. From what we're told they were very hands on and were probably traveling the land trying to find a solution that didn't involve mass murder and sacrifice.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
They made a mention in the 5.55 story that we haven't actually heard directly from Hydaelyn for like 2 expansions now, I imagine it's related to that.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Hernais and Dyunbu have a few skirmishes where they run away and then a skirmish where they explicitly die. The fight in Zadnor they are zombies made from their corpses I'm pretty sure banish works on them. All the magic stuff in Zadnor is brought in by the puppetmaster and his cronies so if it's occult it's his fault.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
It was in a live letter like half a decade ago but the reason you can't summon the same primal twice is because after the initial summoning that aether is something like imprinted by the primal. If you want to summon that same consciousness you need to retrieve that aether, and if it's already in use it just won't work. You can summon another Ifrit as long as long as it isn't the same being and you don't expect it to have that, but then you're just summoning a different fire god and not the Amaljaa war god myth.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
I mean, once again, the skirmish even says "normally this would be a warcrime but..."

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
We run into plenty of thaumaturges but none with the pure Mhachi firepower we have.

Also warriors are different from marauders, it's a specific kind of fighting that needs the inner beast that comes from whatever mountains up north Curious Gorge is from. I think right now it's just you and Curious Gorge as official Warriors, with Dorgono and Broken Mountain learning how to control the inner beast again.

Also we're the only Dark Knight like us, the lore book says that Dark Arts and Darkside are 100% never use for Dark Knights because the Frey situation it creates normally ends up with you dead instead of a wholesome bonding moment. Of course we don't have Dark Arts anymore but I think it still counts.

Veev fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 20, 2021

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
All the Scions and Sharlayans use the Sharlayan version of the spells, and Sharlaya is just so good and has so much knowledge they are able to reverse engineer a lot of that stuff.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Jetrauben posted:

I'd assume our Fray Problem is largely because we're unconsciously using Creation magic to make an Esteem from our own issues?

All Dark Knight skills run off emotion, if you constantly give in to your darkest impulses they'll eventually take over and kill you and everyone around you. We mastered it before that can happen but we're also "self-taught" in a way so no NPC Dark Knight uses the darkside abilities like we do. It's why if you ask Syd about Fray/Myste he's just like "I have 0 clue what that was all about but I'm here if you want to talk" because everyone who had an actual mentor was told not to do any of that.

I just think it's a neat detail.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Zenos question related to the 89 dungeon: They said Amon was getting the repeating dreams because the memory machine didn't wipe memories just pushed them deeper into the soul, but Zenos was having the same kind of dreams to the point Amon even comments on it earlier but didn't really add up to anything.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Honestly I thought that question kinda worked as "you didn't start out the big hero, you were just an adventurer for the thrill of it" as just the barest point in common he had with you.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
As far as the time travel for Elpis goes they're pretty explicit that changing things in the past too much will create a new timeline and strand you there, but because of what happened at the end the timelines ended up similar enough they joined together. Venat was going to make those choices regardless and once she became Hydaelyn and got basically the super echo she would have found out everything that happened anyway and started preparing for the true final days the way she did. When you meet her before the trial she realizes this is the conjunction point and the two timelines officially become just the one.

There is a time loop but it's ultimately meaningless up until the conjunction point because everything happened the way it was going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Honestly it was super weird everyone was just so confident about that and cool with it, including your character. It's not like they're even experts at time magic like that or anything, the magic that G'raha used to do what he did isn't even supposed to exist in our timeline. Even Emet Selch thousands of years in the future was stumped how G'raha was sending full bodied people across time and space.

Unless I'm misremembering and Elidibus isn't using the Crystal Tower magic there.