Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
While I'm sure there's a bit of meta winking in there I'm also fairly certain Alisaie bemoaning having a lack of development is more of an immediate joke that Tataru didn't rush them their First outfits because they didn't have any major job change from Stormblood to warrant it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

How do you read the logs you find in Nier raids? I've forgotten.

On a related note, Okabe brought his A-game for the music. I don't know what he mixed The Maker's Ruin with, but it was rad.
In the in-game main menu, you want the Duty submenu and the Collection option.

Also, the song's a mashup of Torn from the Heavens and The Dark Colossus Destroys All https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUfkJrt4dLI.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I suppose it's possible in a sense that your memories are more a part of you no matter who you're recalling that the Hythlodaeus the Warrior of Light meets has always been a fragment of Emet-Selch and therefore CAN be the same Amaurotine that appears in the trial, but even if it were, the emphasis was on making it known that it was Hades helping out right then.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Even people who didn't have the Echo triggered said they felt a palpable sense of loss upon seeing the image of Amaurot..

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Bozja is IVth legion under Gabranth, noted to be unique among the legions for their use of summoners. At the very tail end of the Ivalice raid, Gabranth's people were in Ridorana Lighthouse/Goug working on figuring out the Tartarus system. So we're already starting with analogues to Golbez and Mist (IV), possibly with future callbacks to Babil (and that picture of Gunnhildr seems reminiscent of Asura). I'm sort of doubting the Moon will factor in, though.

But should also be noted that they tapped Matsuno for this particular storyline, so similarities to IV might also not go too much deeper.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Melomane Mallet posted:

The XII legion was Zenos.
Well, he is the son of an emperor who works with a mad scientist and fuses with a "god" for the final fight.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

We dunno if she's gonna be on 6.0 though but probably yeah considering how well ShB was recieved.
Ishikawa has been one of two head writers on FFXIV since Heavensward (well, really 2.x, but ARR only lists Kazutoyo Maehiro).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They might as well end the game there then because god knows if we could survive the blow of being beaten by a dude named Fandaniel in the crappiest body imaginable after we bodied both the last and strongest Ascian and their goddamn primal there's no recovering.
We nearly got murked by a nerd with a box propped up by a stick with a string, the Warrior of Light is used to humiliation.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The vast majority of the Amaurotines were killed in the catastrophe and as sacrifices for the summoning AND continued powering up of Zodiark. Hydaelyn was created in response to the idea that they would then sacrifice all the new life on the world to bring the previously sacrificed Amaurotines back to life - Venat's faction thought that was too far. The majority of Amaurot (pre-Zodiark) was already dead by the time Hydaelyn was summoned, the Sundering just made it impossible for Zodiark to serve the resurrection function.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
For all the lead-in we've been getting, the worst I figure is we get a Ramuh-style trial of worthiness. Even taking Shadowbringers into account, Hades gets mad during the fight because we break free with the Blessing of Light. Minfilia is effectively Hydaelyn's proxy in the expansion and her role was "grudgingly body-hopping to help stem the tide until she found a vessel that chose to be their own person in the fight and allowing herself to return to the Lifestream." The Mothercrystal seems like she'd be more than willing to grant the Final Blessing of Light to definitively defeat Zodiark.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Zenos will go out in 6.3 and the Warrior of Light's final dialogue options will be between "I wish you could have been around longer." and "I liked you more than Emet-Selch."

Fandaniel will get punked by Altima last moment so they can do a double-dip on Tactics.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The latest Tales of Shadow features everyone's favorite nu mou, with a guest appearance from the former Warriors of Light, and it's all in the service of backstory to an A-rank hunt.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dwarf Bloodsworn quest is a nice sendoff.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ifrita, huh...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Azem goes to defy "fate" itself to save a rare gathering point.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/aamaurot/status/1304775058343288832

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

jokes posted:

I haven't played HW in a while, did he concede that he knows modern Ishgardians are blameless or was he full on crazy pants and couldn't distinguish between the two? If it's the latter, he's basically torturing the guy who tried to kill him and his family, which is hosed up but also, ya know, kiiiiiinda understandable? In a hosed up sense?

Nidhogg was PLANNING on visiting his vengeance on people yet to be born from the first. Hraesvelgr even states that he believed his brother had irrevocably gone mad at the beginning, and that was actually part of the reason he gave his eye over - because he blamed mortals for driving reason from Nidhogg (in addition to murdering his sister).

Despite the repeated reminders of dragon's time perception, dragons also repeatedly demonstrate that they are fully aware of time's passage. A number of dragons, including Vidofnir, mention that it's been a long time (to them!) since they were allied with the Ishgardians. Midgardsormr, oldest of them all, lightly prods Tiamat about it maybe having been long enough to begin to forgive herself. She won't, of course, and I don't think he expected otherwise, but I think if the progenitor can believe in the concept of moving on, it's not meant to be beyond his children, either.

Nidhogg is kind of a similar situation to Yotsuyu, really. Both broken by trauma, becoming monsters by their desires to inflict punishment far beyond the province of justice.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's always an extra swerve in the lead-in patches. Like I doubt we'll be finishing off Zodiark or The Sound in 5.55, but there's gonna be something that comes up that keeps it from being merely a straight shot to Garlemald.
Heck, it always affects the Scions, too. I hope Riol gets to report in okay... :ohdear:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sometime I appreciated of the Eden outcome was reaffirming through Gaia as a mirror to the WoL that just because she's a reincarnation of Loghrif!Gaia doesn't mean that she's not very much her own person, too, even after gaining memories of her earlier incarnation.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

That doesn't work so well if she's not acknowledging continuity.
I mean, we let Ardbert have one last chat with Seto, too. And Gaia immediately questions who she was just talking to after Mitron fades out, and still perceives the former Gaia as a separate entity.

My read is at most the soul echo of Loghrif was saying her farewells before Gaia resumes "control."

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Squall = Ultimecia, I knew it!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Turns out the endgame hub is the Hummingway Cave.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Ascians' theory was basically that enough rejoinings would weaken Zodiark's restraints and Hydaelyn enough that he could just finish the job himself. If the 8th wasn't the tipping point, they'd just plan for a 9th, 10th, etc

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

We already knew we were a reincarnation because literally everyone in this setting is a reincarnation. The Lifestream constantly recycles souls. The only thing we get from being the reincarnation of Azem is the Echo, as all fragmented reincarnations of Ancients get (once they've seen a starshower, of course).
Furthering this, we may have only recently gotten full context for it, but it has been pointed out before that literally the first thing that happened in the story back in 1.0 is the WoL witnessing a starshower which segues directly into their first Echo experience.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Possessing fragments of Azem's soul, however many times recycled through the Lifestream, doesn't quite make the Warrior of Light literally Azem, the Former Convocation Member.
If anything, it just continues the theme of the struggle between the Ascians and the world as it is now: their goal is to remake the old world and resurrect the original Amaurotines by sacrificing all that came after. If Azem had still been on the crew, the WoL (or another bearer) would have been uplifted the same as the others. But the Warrior of Light is representative of carrying on the legacy of those that came before. The spirit of Azem lives on even if the original Azem is long dead, and the same would go for any other pieces of ancient souls in new lives.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm hoping Noct will just get turned into a buff that adds something alongside heals for a few seconds.

Some weird healer blm where you rotate between night and day

I do wonder if they're planning on making the Healer DPS play a bit more pronouncedly differently between the jobs. The wording on the concept could mean Sage has something of an activated burst phase. White Mage has already gotten some positive feedback from Shadowbringers allowing them to reimburse heals with a nuke, so I figure any new additions or adjustments it gets will further that theme. It could be neat to have Astrologian to work around a cycle, in that case.
What, then, should Scholar get... the return of Shadow Flare?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not going to limit my dreams when we're shooting for the moon. :colbert:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Still have to wonder about the future. Now that Crystal Tower is mandatory, there's the bit from the epilogue where Nero's scanning device beeps "It's all wrong" in Morse code after he tosses it into the depths. And if they ever decide to do something with it, Silvertear Lake could still have the "Presence" that was meant to tie in with 1.0's original endgame. Then of course, the New World and Meracydia are places we're not likely to go during 6.0.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If they want to do some FFII-inspired story with Pandemonium and Lahabrea, they could always lean on him being the foremost scholar of phantom creation. We could have a "Lahabrea" that's the result of the original's research, like a Primal version of himself, or some similar mess. Be a bit of an echo of Emet's shades and Elidibus's nature, but twisted more monstrously. Could even have both "Hell" and "Heavenly" Lahabrea fights :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as Hydaelyn goes, pretty much after every time a shadier side is even hinted at she ends up going out of her way to use her waning strength to help people when we touch bases. Minfilia becomes her proxy and in Shadowbringers she ends up with having regretted the necessity of living like an Ascian and being relieved that Ryne wanted to be her own person, which I see as basically being a reflection for Hydaelyn - she's had the task of keeping Zodiark at bay to protect the people of the world from being sacrificed to restore Amaurot, and really her endgame from that perspective is just "the new life of the world lives on free of that worry" which can't happen as long as the threat of Zodiark remains, but all she was able to do on her own was fragment his power and seal him away.

I had another idle thought regarding Endwalker having its own version of Pandemonium... there's always the possibility of some form of a Soul of Rebirth scenario playing, too. One last chance for Moenbryda to be in the story :v:
Also maybe we can get something like Minwu's outfit for Healer, that'd be cool.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
maybe such a dramatic change will encourage something else to try and fill the power vaccuum

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Either Zodiark or Pandemonium could potentially answer that question, even in passing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On Garlean talk, I'm curious about the IIIrd Legion, they're mentioned as one of the major players in the current civil war, they're leaded by Varis' cousin Nerva whose dad fought Varis over the throne, and they're being backed by Brutus money iirc? Mostly wondering how they'll reference FFIII given every legate except Gaius has some kind of reference to their corresponding FF title, but they already used 90% of their references on the Crystal Tower raid.
There's speculation that Nerva could be a rough analogue to Alus from III. From this Stormblood-era story, we see that one reason Varis was able to come out ahead was that he had something Titus lacked.

quote:

With Emperor Solus on his deathbed, a clandestine war of succession was already being waged in Garlemald. Solus's eldest being dead, his grandson Varis was next in line to the throne, but the Emperor’s second son Titus had other ideas, and no shortage of support. What he did not have, however, was Varis’s standing with the military, nor less a ready heir─this Zenos.
A ready heir. However, we learn in Bozja that Nerva is explicitly Titus's son. While it's possible they hadn't accounted for Nerva at the time of the story's writing, the story team does generally draft expansions ahead, and perhaps the easiest way to reconcile Nerva not being considered a "ready heir" would be that he's far younger than Zenos. Alus is 10 in FFIII.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
At some point Ultima wanted to roleplay as an Ascian so she rolled an Altima.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We’re going to the moon, the Derplander marquee job is Paladin (coming from Dark Knight), and we know we’re having a Dragoon with mind control issues and Twins coming for the ride.

So we just need to figure out who our Summoner, Ninja, and White Mage are.
Or to fill out the whole cast, a Monk, a Bard, a Sage, a Cid (free space), and a Beard Elemental.
Maybe Zenos gets to be our actual long lost brother too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's like Susan in Discworld. Zenos gets some of that weird soul even though biologically he should be a normal Garlean prior to Resonant experimentation.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Part of the deal of getting Yoko Taro to write the guest raid is he also got to pitch in on the main story and The Sound is us, the players. We did this.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Zenos will get another unavoidable victory over the WoL in the 90 trial, and then because he feels the apocalypse is interrupting his fun, you finish the game in a roleplaying duty as Zenos and single-handedly end Hydaelyn and Zodiark yourself, becoming the will of the planet in the process.

The WoL gets to choose from dialogue options "Thank you for doing what I couldn't." and "Zenos was the coolest guy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

jokes posted:

Is there a canonical age of the WoL? I'd imagine not but if Azem keeps getting reincarnated to be a goody goody adventurer/cop/soldier/chef/carpenter, it's likely that only the past up to 100 years have been during the WoL's iteration of Azem.
There's at least one NPC who refers to the WoL as "young", though you're free to interpret that as sarcasm if you'd like. The writers probably have a vaguely defined "young adult" in mind on their end.

Groggy nard posted:

That is explicitly death and reincarnation.
Bob1, Bob2, Bob3, Bob4, Bob5, Bob6, Bob7, Bob8, Bob9, Bob10, Bob11, Bob12, Bob13, and Bob14 pouring one out simultaneously for Bob, of whom they all equally shared minds with to the moment of Sundering.