Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ibblebibble posted:

Thanks, guess I'll need to rewatch the cutscenes to match up the lines.

please post these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

OK, pulled the dialogue from Garland Tools, let's start matching them up:

These are definitely Pointing in Directions

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Its Rinaldo posted:

So is like Elidibus' soul just chilling in the Crystal Tower forever? I'm not sure how cool i am with that especially since it's somewhat ambiguous if he was a kid and the last moments we saw him was weeping for all those he lost and failed.

They had to die but I dunno if want to consign him to eternity bound to a tower.

He's not conscious in there, strictly speaking. More like his atoms are there. The entire reason it took so long to transfer the Scions over was to develop a method for their souls to remain intact and conscious through the trip--just doing what we did to Nabriales and Elidibus, without all those precautions and the flying pig and the cat blood kills you in the process.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Transporting bread across shards this patch had me thinking about aetherology questions

It gets covered in the same patch that conveniently introduces the question of gathering lizards and frogs from the first and bringing them back to the source for ishgard restoration - even if it's a living thing, if you think of it as "your possession," it is treated like an object and comes out intact

e: Though I suppose this also breaches the question of the auspices, right? Let alone the tupaq amaro? Is the process of ensoulment a gradual thing like with their consciousness?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I feel like whatever happened to make Zenos is a purely technological expression of the process of rejoining an ascian.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I've never heard of any zodiac order correlation, at least not one as consistent as the legion numbers.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

bozja has the fourth legion tho right

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

at this point I honestly expect defeating a sundered red mask to be the kind of thing that has little enough fanfare they could do it in a dungeon instead of a trial

Igeyorhm means it has been for a long time, but I think most remaining convocation members will get a bit more characterization than she had.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yes.

Mitron, Emmerololth, Loghrif: died by NPCs

Lahabrea, Emet-Selch, Igeyorhm, Nabriales, Elidibus: die in main story

Pashtarot, Fandaniel, Halmarut, Deudalaphon: Remaining

Altima: ????? probably remaining but might have some poo poo to do with Ivalice?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Imagining the Days of Future Past cover but with pictures of the Ascians

Also don't forget Travanchet lol

Well, given the titles have been gradually more relevant-

Pashtarot, the Knight-Star
Fandaniel, the Protector
Halmarut, the Arbiter
Deudalaphon, the Benevolent

One of those last two? Possibly his 'job' in the convocation is essentially what we've seen him do; find methods of supplying summoners with the required crystals.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The most dangerous part of killing all primals including the ones that are the will of the planet is, well, that you're killing the will of the planet. Was Hydaelyn summoned to divide and restrain Zodiark because killing him outright would have brought the space aliens back? Possibly! Nobody knows! That makes it a bit of a pointless risk compared to just cleaning up the remaining Ascians.

The second most dangerous part is that it means Gaius was on some level right and he's not dying so that we can have a bit where we realize he was more right than presumed. "For the world of man to mean anything, man must own the world."

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I feel like "the original writer specifically used a word for young adults and not children" does in fact wrap it up.

Yes, he was quite young; no, he was not a kid.

There's no proof that the story was written in Japanese.

I'm entirely serious here--interviews at fanfests etc in the past have mentioned that all the localization teams are involved in collaborating on story details.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Summoning is weaker creation magic and Alexander was summoned with more knowledge/intelligence than the goblins that created him, so it's entirely possible for an ancient to create a book full of factual information that they do not know.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

tbh the consistent implications that Zenos isn't really ensouled or human as we understand it are the worst things about him. I get that it's a reference to Sephiroth and that by the time you actually meet Sephiroth in present-day in FF7 he's stopped being human entirely, but from the perspective we have now, especially with that recent bonus story that just has kid zenos as in a very hostile home environment and somewhat autistic-coded, only to turn that into why he's inhuman/monstrous, not using it for pity or anything. There's a lot more to be revealed and said about him, and I'm ready for them to turn it around but it's written super awkward, just like the warriors of darkness felt like a really weird sidetrack during the heavensward patch cycle itself while you were waiting the story out.

Even putting myself in a hypothetical future point where everything has come together, the side story is pretty oof and the whole premise just isn't as great.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

I mean, I can see Zenos as neuroatypical, but I'm not really sure that it's why he's a bad person or solipsistic. There's several other characters who are neuroatypical-coded, no?

there are which is why it's not a super big deal and i'm still putting all this trust in ff14 writing. (that and the game in general.)

the "why" he's solipsistic/a bad person is probably because he is some portion space monster or created by the ascians, that is extremely clear from the current context but we don't have the specifics. which is what makes the linked story, in particular, bad because it still has to deal with the kayfabe that zenos is 100% a natural person with a soul but also frame him as fundamentally evil from the get-go.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

zenos just needs to meet a shard of yoshi-p who can keep him in the hallucinatory content loop that's so essential to wol letting off steam

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Is this going to be a midgardsormr thing where someone looks at other languages and they're super straightforward about it

e: actually what's the cutscene called/where is it in the book. I'll switch my client to german

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

It's demonstrating that the empire can't just be reborn with a change in leadership, that won't fully cement the change in society and ideology that also needs to happen. Gabranth doesn't believe in Garlean racial hierarchy but it doesn't matter when everyone under him does; similarly the wounds of the class divisions in Old Bozja haven't even fully healed despite a whole generation under imperial rule. In floating the possibility that someone like Misija might not actually have a place under either proposed future for Bozja it implies that a different solution will need to be chosen, and that it's not as easy as simply letting the royal line die out as in Ala Mhigo.

How the game resolves this question will probably say a lot about the course and themes of 6.0 in general and how much is changing from the last three attempts at nation rebuilding, under the different contexts. It's also implying that internal issues in those three nations probably aren't done yet, all things considered.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 18, 2020

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Bozja likely foreshadowing 6.0's focus on Imperial turmoil, like Eureka foreshadowing Shadowbringers' full-bore focus on creation magic in its lategame does kinda check out. You've also got Omega being directly relevant to a story thread in ShB's sidelines, but I don't think that counts for this.

But I'm not sure the pattern goes further back than that. What's the Heavensward>Stormblood one, the Warring Triad introducing the concept of kinda-charismatic Imperials? Is the ARR>HW one 'Dragoon, just in general'?

I would say that given the concept of the first expansion occurred to Yoshi when he was reviewing the overall setting, saw "oh and this part of the world that's mostly off screen has turbo-catholic elves locked in an eternal crusade against dragonkind," and asked why this content wasn't in the game... the HW foreshadowing was the entire coerthas arc of the 2.0 MSQ.

Also, Shiva was the 2.4 trial so the timeline is about the same for when the seeds of future expansions start getting planted

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Gaius, Zenos, Gabranth if he's not in Bozja

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

regula is literally the thing every gundam after the main set of UC does with its char, where there's an episode where the main gundam boy works with the char bad guy and there's the respect moment and rrrrgh ideals, but then they're back to killing each other next episode, except he dies before that next episode because the one char character is also every legatus who isn't xenos or nael in a ff14 context

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I said it before and I said it again, everyone who cares at all about lore should at least do the raid, trial, and alliance series of each expansion because that's where the next MSQ thing always comes from

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

so diamond is zenos, then

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yoshi has been clear in the past that it's also not just japan he has to think about - it's the big markets in china and southeast asia. interested in what wow china does with its recent additions, on that subject.

that said, the difference between the two is also a difference in tone and voice that the game goes for. 14 has had direct gay people explicitly said as such before, it just also tends to step around explicit romance a lot.

e: consider also that the only actual named married couple that comes clearly to mind is loving godbert and julyan

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 9, 2020

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

will tataru use the ironworks supercomputer for bitcoin mining now that it's hers

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah like knowing....anything about media from Japan just makes the whole "WHEN WILL THOSE STRANGE JAPANESE GET AS WOKE AS US ON GAYS STUFF?" poo poo even more loving stupid and disgusting. There's an insane amount of LBGTQ+ positive media from japan, not as much of it main stream as stuff that ignores it but that's just as true of our media too. It's just being weird about foreigners. Acting like we're so much better isn't loving earned at all.

i posted this earlier, it's not "just japan." if yoshi WERE only concerned about japan there would have definitely been more. the game has a pretty sizable playerbase in places like indonesia, malaysia, and singapore that are a lot worse about these things, at least politically and in terms of censorship. in the interview where this was brought up, the language around it was very clear that it isn't just one country holding things back, but wide demographics of players in many countries. the controversy that he mentioned was about korea, even, which you'd think would be good in a similar way to japan, but the demographics of who plays this game might be different than expected in ways that a lot of us on NA servers don't really have cultural context for.

even within japan, the game basically has the entire MMO-playing population since WoW is nonexistent there, so all the chuds and boomers you get in WoW are on FF14 there instead, so maybe even that's a bit of an uphill struggle.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 9, 2020

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I feel like there definitely has to be something more with Fandaniel and the issue of memories that makes him not as invested in The Plan. Initially I thought Mitron might be the exception but then the echo scene changed that.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Also I just did Emerald Weapon today. Jesus Christ Valens :catstare:

"burn away the bad" is absolutely coming up in the diamond weapon fight now, or immediately after. depends on if alphonse manages to trick valens into piloting.

Some unprompted ascian thoughts:

-The current Mitron's (Artemis's) fascination with sculpture runs counter to the earlier assumption, based on the Akadaemia, that Mitron's seat had something to do with the ocean--rather, that that was a personal fascination of the first Mitron, like Lahabrea and fire.

-However, the other big pattern theory about the Ascians continues to hold--i.e. that their personal names pre-sundering were those of the Greek pantheon.

-Logically, this means WoL's original name was Apollo. (or Helios, but Apollo is more likely because of the additional association with prophecy.) Gender doesn't really seem to hold here since Artemis was also male, and who knows what the Ancients even thought of gender considering how intensely they felt about everyone being equal.

-Further, since nothing still conflicts with the idea that the Convocation went through a big game of telephone over the ages to become the Twelve (Azem/Azeyma confirmed, Emet-Selch/Nald'Thal strongly likely), we can reasonably guess that Mitron became Oschon and Loghrif became Nophica. Fandaniel's importance might suggest that he is the other seat that, like Elidibus, was truly forgotten.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 10, 2020

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Cleretic posted:

So, there's a fairly big problem with this theory, that I'm surprised so many people just... don't think about.

There's twelve of the Twelve. There's thirteen Ascians, fourteen if you count Azem which people tend to.

Who got the shaft, and why?

Re-read my last sentence. Elidibus is out because Ophiuchus is already the outside zodiac sign, Fandaniel is out because he's somehow an outsider to the whole plan/his shtick doesn't have a clear association with a Greek god/he's important to MSQ so he should be important there

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

This theory doesn't line up cleanly with the zodiac signs but I don't think they would correspond because Azem is already an outsider there but the most explicitly one of the Twelve.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

"breaking down the barriers of existence" is pretty in line with every explicit thing we've seen the echo do, including its ostensible origin in the whole past-life recollection thing.

though i personally think there are a couple more important functions that follow logically off of what's established, probably on the order of access to the original form of creation magic (what happened in seat of sacrifice?)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the biggest disappointment in eden is that ryne never busted out the gunblade

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Vitamean posted:

if there isn't some level squish fuckery then two expansions from now you'll have new jobs that start at a level where you can just do all the 5.0 role quests for that job at once

I have a feeling that the FF11 method is more likely than the WoW method - level caps at 99 but item level keeps increasing. It's much more "final fantasy" that way.

That said, they could still start jobs at 80 then. Maybe 79?

I also think that the Void is definitely MSQ material in the future, way more likely that Unukhalhai and Cyelle get pulled into main story with bonus dialogue for doing all the things than the other way around.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Begemot posted:

I dunno, he's a sadistic monster who allows his home country to fall into a civil war and murders his own father. He's currently in league with malicious forces that are trying to eradicate all life on the planet. I find him pretty boring as a villain, especially compared to Emet-Selch and Elidibus, but not because he's sympathetic. I don't really want to kill him like the Elf Pope or whatever, but he's just annoying and I want him to go away.

If you're looking for someone who has done bad things but is nonetheless somewhat sympathetic, Fordola is right over there.

i think, with zenos as with gaius, there's an element of tragedy involved - maybe they could have become something better than what they are, if not necessarily greater, but they were both born into emet-selch's personal evil motherfucker factory. gaius is trying to change this, but it feels a bit too little/too late, and his earlier portrayal makes his apparent ignorance of exactly how evil the Evil Motherfucker Factory is really jarring and baffling. zenos though i can believe just legitimately does not know anything else and was never given anything else to know, especially given that short story, and is in that way similar to the tempered, something completely unavoidable but also sad and frustrating to have to do. i wonder how these parallels will bear out further, things being as they now are with the tempered.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The problem with Gaius and Ala Mhigo is that from what we see of Ala Mhigo, Zenos couldn't have ruined everything that fast, everyone is talking about how miserable things have been the whole time - which implies that Gaius never actually just went out and looked around to see how much "progress" was actually being made, which seems out of character for what we're given of him.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I'm not sure how you tell non-ruined Ala Mhigo from Ruined Ala Mhigo considering the whole "We had a literal Mad King" thing going on just before.

On the other hand he had 15 whole years and, we're told, sincerely wanted to improve things... which ultimately meant "put down a highway in a sad little village and some forts around the border"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

it does, however, prevent the wol from being an isekai protagonist as one could possibly assume prior to that point

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Gruckles posted:

It's extremely likely that Hydaelyn's metaphysical sundering of reality was also accompanied by her physically sundering zodiark from the planet and creating the moon.

I'm pretty sure the sundering wasn't just metaphysical and all the other worlds are floating out there in space. The big circle diagram is just real

Of course, space in the Final Fantasy universe has always had a bunch of crystals and poo poo floating around in it. that's consistent

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

as far as we know isn't Hades the only Ascian whose name matches up with his abilities and/or personality

Given Mitron (Artemis) turned into a statue of Artemis, and Loghrif (Gaia) was necessary to restore the planet, there's clearly something going on even if it's not directly related to what they did in the before times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Venat is Prometheus for sure

venat is venat because he wasn't part of the convocation. similarly hythlodaeus had no title