Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope the last leg of the Neir raid pulls more from Neir OG. We've had one whole raid of Machine Lifeform tech, one whole one of Yorha poo poo. Give me some Shades.

Or a bunch of those AI ghosts that look like Manah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

At this point they've had multiple opportunities to make it clear that Elidibus was an Actual Kid and passed them by, so...

Wait, the Alphinaud reference made me think of the twins and their eternal puberty, and I realized that FFXIV has teenager-adult colorblindness.

The fact that hes explicitly a much smaller ancient in his true form is the game saying something.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Its Rinaldo posted:

Then what was the purpose of creating a primal to kill another primal if everything was fine? Moderate dissatisfaction isn't enough emotion to do the deed especially for one powerful enough to sunder Zodiark.

The convocation wanted to sacrifice the new life to restore the old, people disagreed. This is said multiple times, first being implied post 75 Dungeon then outright stated in The Tempest and again now in the .x patches.

Those disagreers decided to shatter the world to shatter Zodiark so the convocation couldn't ever do that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Since we're talking about 7.0, that gives us at least three years gap.

No this will probably be happening in 6.0 given how 5.3 ends with Zenos talking about setting the whole world ablaze and you and him dancing in front of a pyre and he's having constant dreams of the Final Days where The Sound is wreaking havoc on the world which is actively on fire.

Full expect him to Yank control of heartless zodiark now t o break it to fight you with its power as the end of 5.5 and then OOPS Fandaniel just wants chaos cause gently caress all this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

It'll likely be in 7.X. With the way they've laid everything out in the storyline, I'm betting that 6.X will involve finally wrapping up Garlemald - including dealing with Zenos and Zodiark once and for all - with 7.X then seguing into a new threat (Lavos/Jenova/whatever) over in the New World, where it supposedly originated.

Zenos is talking about setting the world ablaze as a pyre on your stage to fight one another while having dreams of Aumorant on fire from The Sound induced panic. Combine this with Fandaniel's general insanity and the facts that Zenos Can control primals, Zodiark is a primal with no driving core anymore, AND zodiark is what's holding The Sound back, I say we're gonna end 5.5 slap fighting zenos and then the Voice pops out and garlemald gets hosed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also Shiva Eden version gave us our Hydaelyn fight already.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Faaaandaniel back at it again with the Warrior of Light.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Gaius, Zenos, Gabranth if he's not in Bozja

They're saving Gaius for Diamond so that the final fight where the last and most innocent of Gaius's stolen childen whose parents he murdered ADOPTED ORPHANS, white hair girl that SweatyMan singled out in the last bit of plot, can die tragically as a giant him espousing the bullshit that lead to all this to truly cement him as a pathetic broken man and the Garlean dream to be nothing but lies all the way down.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

While I'm sure Emerald's pilot is screwed I'm pretty sure they're going to have at least one of them survive. Maybe you use G-Warrior to fight Diamond and in doing so get her out but it destroyed G-Warrior in the process, and you end up having to fight Weirdo McPedogarlean as he hops into the Diamond.

FFXIV can be grim but it never quite leans on the path of "and there is no hope and everything is terrible forever."

They got two silver hairs just so one can survive

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah in not saying the game is going full no hope but Gaius specifically has to be broken cause at the end of the day he still believes in the ideals of garlemald he just thinks the empire lost it's way and that's gotta be broken out of him or we'll just have to kill him later.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

they made Gaius super hot

:chloe:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It's more than she deserved, frankly. At a certain point with your actions, in my opinion, it no longer matters what your intentions were.

I am so drat tired of the "They did all these horrible things for the greater good!" and "It's understandable and forgivable that they did all these horrible things because of the horrible things that happened to them!" tropes.

No one is saying she should be forgiven or all her actions forgotten, just that they were tragic and you can see the reasons why, its incredibly stupid and reductive to read any of this discussion or the actual text of the game as that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

fandaniel is looking as close to pure evil as we'll get from what we know so far. he doesn't even have the lofty ideals of the unsundered, he just wants to break stuff because it might be funny

And tbf that might change once we learn what his actual deal is.

I doubt it though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

multijoe posted:

I don't think I said American media is infallible, but there's plenty of adult and young adult media with extremely up and front queer representation now and even Korra walked so other shows could run. So I do think there's a substantive different to be made between that and Japanese media, where with only a few honourable exceptions, the default position is still to bury it in the subtext.

The biggest fuckign western media giant Avengers: Endgame was loving pushed super hard as big and bold for gay rep was a random extra going "I miss my husband." and captain america nodding stoically. that's not any better than just heavily implying that they're gay and writing to story as if they were and just not saying it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm so glad the second we get back on the source it's full on "You know those villains with pathos and flawed but understandable worldviews and tragic histories and motives? gently caress that, no more subtly. Monsters who ruin everything they touch only!"

it's legit a nice split and a good way to show that even with all the knowledge and power and understanding we've gained some people are still going to loving be huge pricks.

'Burn out the Bad' and the testing cutscene after were....amazing in how instantly they made me enjoy hating this piece of poo poo.

Also the new dungeon has some visuals that blew me away and the final boss's "Knock you up to reveal the knockback that precedes the AoE" was so loving cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Eimi posted:

And that's the terrible English dub, it's 100% explicit in the Japanese version. Sailor Moon is just the best (and ridiculously gay)

Yeah like knowing....anything about media from Japan just makes the whole "WHEN WILL THOSE STRANGE JAPANESE GET AS WOKE AS US ON GAYS STUFF?" poo poo even more loving stupid and disgusting. There's an insane amount of LBGTQ+ positive media from japan, not as much of it main stream as stuff that ignores it but that's just as true of our media too. It's just being weird about foreigners. Acting like we're so much better isn't loving earned at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Also to be fair I do not think this engine could convincingly animate two characters kissing

We just got liquid pouring last patch, we're an expac away from swapping spit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

You're forgetting that they could go for Maximum Overshipping and have Azem's true name be Persephone. :v:

I like apollo but it's probably this with Elidibus being Nyx.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

But who is Zagreus

Khloe

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

The towers showing up in all the major regions of the world is a really cool detail. iirc changing the world like that isn't something that's been done since Dalamud started to fall, which makes it all the more ominous.

It happened in 3.5 with the mini dalamud Papa Lmao summoned to seal Shinryu.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

Do you think the remake/remaster will take some of those punishing edges off? The entire mythos seems intriguing but I'm still leery of the sexy robot game for some reason.

Like, I love butts and blindfolds as much as the next person but a while cast of it seems a bit much.

Probably not. It's part of the experience.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Its also Yoko taro without the bite. Nier A is a very smoothed out game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Like the scaeven poo poo was Nero making stuff for rowena, Shadow set was things meant to look like the legendary WoD, Crystalarium is self explanatory

what crypts are they diving on the first

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

After Than'jit, I really thought the last boss of Eden was going to be some twisted version of Minfilia. Would have made a lot of sense thematically for the setting, having The Warrior of Darkness finish up taking down a twisted version of The Oracle of Light; what with these bosses being broken mirror reflections of already existing entities, and Than'jit being a manifestation of Ryne's own fears and doubts. All in all, I'd say these last four bosses didn't feel nearly as inspired to me as the previous set, save for Than'jit.

Also, couldn't help but let out a disappointing groan when it was revealed that yet again "Ascians did it"

We knew ascians did it from...before the start of the raid series! This whole deal was about the flood of light and what you could do to reverse it. We knew from like 3.4 when the WoDs talked about how killing the Ascians started it all.

Also you already fought an evil twisted version of the Oracle of light in E8 down to the whole Summoning a mini Momma Crystal to start up another flood of light.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I don't understand being disappointed with the reveal being again Ascian related because A) We knew that going in and B) The entire expac, especially the stuff on and about the history of the Floor and the first, has always 100% been billed as The Big Reveal and Final Hurrah of the Ascians. The first was screwed up by their gently caress up, which was directly tied to and cause by what made Eden in the first place, which ties into Ardbert's fight and Cyella and all that. The whole point of Shadowbringers is to talk about the ascians and their true plans and histories and where they hosed up and how they were wrong and the problems beyond their understanding they caused. It's like getting into 3.X and complaining about it all being about Ishgard's politics and the dragonsong war still.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

While that would be super interesting, the prerequisites to unlock it would be a bit much

Onmi posted:

While you're not wrong, I would point out that if you wanted it to be substantial content beyond just "side quests" this'd probably be the best way to go about it.

The thing is those prerqs are....pretty lax now. You can solo the two fights needed and that's only going to get exponentially easier as the level cap goes up. As will leveling alts so doing the role quests will be more accessible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Basically all we do know about Zodiark is that it was formed to avoid the End of Days (separate from the first Calamity). And that it was apparently bad at its one job, given there were signs of it coming back which led to them attempting to summon it a second time, only to get curbstomped by Hydaelyn.

Basically, Zodiark was designed to solve a complex problem, by people who didn't actually know how to solve the problem.

Zodiark wasn't summoned a second time to refight the calamity, he beat it and brought back the rules of reality, they sacrificed more people to summon it a second time to restore life to the star and then waited as new life sprang up to use them as a sacrifice for a third summon to bring back all those sacrificed for the first two summons. Hydelyn was created to stop that third summoning.

The reason poo poo's coming back is zodiark is weakened to all hell since the heart that he was built around has been out of him and doing things for eons and now is just straight up loving dead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

And as an aside, to me Anemnesis cements exactly why we shouldn't take the line of 'Amaurot deserves to live again' that the Ascians have

Uhhh yeah that's what the entire final confrontation in 5.0 is textually about. Not just the actual fight with the villain but your long digression talking to Hyd who tells you the specifics of what happened. Him telling you that was just there for exposition to show "No a lot of us just wanted to let the world move on.". Through your resolve and strength you even turn the villain (Not just in that fight but well before it given the Azem stone and contingency plan). It's why Hades's last line isn't "Please save them where I failed" it's just "Don't forget that we were here".

It's why Elidibus's plan and fight is framed as such a desperate final struggle that ends with a child finally remembering and crying about just missing his friends before moving on. It's why you can repeat Emet's words back at him with "No fight left to fight". It's not sinister or you mocking him or taunting him, it's the truth. There was never a fight in the first place. The summoning of Hyderlyn was your people very bluntly saying "We don't want what you're fighting for any more."

This is all explicitly what Emet's character arc and role in the plot was about. The 5.X stuff is just corroboration and confirmation that No He actually wasn't lying the whole time.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 9, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

So there's no aborted timeline variant that the Exarch came from floating around the multiverse, that future's just gone.

Except the tales from the shadow show the exact opposite of that. The 8th Umbral Era timeline still exists. We even see a bit of a hint at how their 8th Astral era would begin.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Eox posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if alternate timeline Zenos hunted them down as soon as he learned what happened to us

Or the black rose that was connected to light aether just...hosed up all those shadow ghosts real strong. All the ascian plans around this rejoining, from Ultima to Thordan to The WoDs to Black rose all seemed really really slipshod and slapped together, especially on their timeline. Really wouldn't be surprised if they got got by it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fighting momma crystal would be a literal mercy killing. She was made to do one thing and one thing only, sunder the world and zodiark's will with it. It's why she was able to overcome him with much less sacrifice/aether/power than he had, because she was made for the specific task. She's extremely poo poo at doing anything else to the point it basically actively kills her to do any direct intervention because it's beyond the scope of her summoning and what she was made for. The phase in E8 is probably the closest we're ever gonna get.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shut the gently caress up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

My theory on Emet saying he's tempered: remember that Emet is a bastard man who doesn't care about 'lesser' beings than him. He probably doesn't really care that our definition of 'tempering' is far more total than his, and he didn't go into any detail. To him, 'being tempered' might mean 'I hear an angry voice of my god in the back of my mind but I can mostly tune it out', and he probably doesn't see the difference betweeen that and a mortal's problem of 'my entire will and personhood was subsumed by a parody of a god that until now I did not believe in'.

The brainwashing equivalent of 'I got the flu and I'm fine, so stop whining that you're in pain and can't get out of bed'.

It's very weird to imagine up things that dont happen in the story to justify being mad about the character. Especially when it runs counter to basically all the actual text of the story

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Like one of the neatest bits of Emets character is that he genuinely did love his wife and son while he was Solus, as implied with how Varis talks about how lovely his grandpa was to him in comparison and from the Tales from the Shadows. He was genuinely trying to learn to like the sundered and live among them.

This extends to his whole relationship with you the WoL and the scions. He was really trying and hoping you'd prove him wrong. You failed, at least for a little bit, but eventually turned it all against him, something he clearly believed could happen given he gave the Azem stone to Hydro to give to you after he died.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 30, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

STill racking my brain going through Hellenistic/Greek mythology trying to figure out everybody's name from what little we know about them.

Lahabrea is Hephaestus clearly given he was the best at phantom creation with an especially strong skill in fire spirits.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They went as they lived: getting owned constantly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Great, so your plan was to basically kick off a firefight with the woman who has the biggest, scariest gun in the room. It's a good thing you're immune to tempering, 'cause you're gonna be the only one in the room that isn't about five seconds after trying that.

I mean, at that point it's like +2 bodies over what actually happened and probably -1 primal. It's not the big of a loss over what actually happened.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zeruel posted:

People get horny over Zenos, possibly the most armored-up lad I've seen. He's almost like Smaugh from Dark Souls.

And now they've got him in a sexy little admiral sailor outfit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

You can kill their body easily enough but they can just swap bodies unless you blast them with a shitload of aether. Remember that Nabriales and Igeyorhm were sundered and killing them required Moenbryda's sacrifice and Niddhog's eye respectively.

The entire last hades cutscene is every single scion doing the same blade of light you usually do to break the light crystals. We've all leveled up beyond needing the fancy artifacts.

Every ascian is just gonna get pin cushioned by all the scions including estinien and tataru.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, all using the same white auracite--you know, a fancy artifact. And none of them even worked to shut the fucker down.

The white auracite doesn't provide any of the aether needed to kill ascians, they're the very temporary traps. They have nothing to do with powering the blades of light like the Eyes or the staff of grandpa elf or the sacrifice of friends the post I was directly responding to talked about. Like I said, we were all doing sick blades of light in the Hades fight without any power up artifacts.

Please pay attention before trying to get an own in.

Also the white auracite has literally worked every single time we've done it, it's our own personal beam of aether that has been wanting. I've already corrected you about this in this thread or the other before, but we used one to successfully ice Igeyorhm after beating Ascian Prime (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O81y_dJ1mWg&t=1678s). We successfully use it to trap Nabriales after the Chrysalis fight where we try to beam him to death but fail and Moe kills herself to power up our beam to shatter it and him with it.

White Auracite even works against Hades (It's those things the Scions all hurl at him and start shooting with their aether beams), it just takes multiple pieces and a LOT of light aether in the form of a big axe. it's why that big hole in Hades at the end has all that white crystal in it. Please pay attention, both to the discussion and what actually happens in the story.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 5, 2021