Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont think they're gonna do poo poo except hide in their bunker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that would rip

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont think they gave me any special thing for my character birthday so im not optimistic about them referencing the other thing on the login screen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im telling you, hes skipping cutscenes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Vitamean posted:

something I've manifested is the final zone not allowing mounts, but instead after you get to the second to last quest you can just fly around like superman or something in just that zone

yes garlemald is based off destroyed insomnia and after you clear the msq you get the ring of the lucii mount

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that giant flaming computer was pretty silly

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the fight with zenos should be a QTE event with branching story depending on success or failure

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

where'd omega weapon come from

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

befitting the next arc being all about extraterrestrial planet-hopping the raid series will be a star ocean collaboration

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait the seats have souls

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whether ff14 has a militant take on the necessity of environmental terrorism will have no impact on the forthcoming climate apocalypse. our best hope in fact is that yoshiP gets enough power at square enix that he can develop matrix technology to live out our final days in eorzea

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

would you genocide all the worms on the planet to bring some humans back

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there's story behind extreme trials??

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh well i think I’ve done every ! symbol so if I don’t have to clear the extreme duty I guess I’ll get there

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

duties for all the nation leaders would be neat

now add them all to trusts

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hogama posted:

buddy they can't even add estinien to shadowbringers trusts

that's because he wasnt on the first!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

When you used Azem’s crystal Godbert should have appeared and hurled you into the dark sun so you end up buried in it with your feet sticking out

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

in the final battle of the next arc of expansions we’ll battle linkin park’s Meteora

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Honestly, EW and Death Stranding are extremely complementary games, thematically, while also kinda mirroring each other as a game that came out immediately before the pandemic and one that was very much informed by being produced under covid restrictions. So the people that wish there was more death and suffering in a game that is otherwise pretty life affirming and even cheerful considering, doesn't sit well with me. Can't think of something I'd possibly want less in 2021, than that. Other than maybe the WoL dying at the end.

erenville has boots hanging from his pack and i think someone even says porter in a dialogue with him

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

spoilers if youre unaware of what thread youre in

i think the expansion is pretty great. up through the first trial its pretty much a masterpiece i think. the body swapping gimmick was probably unnecessary but whatever. i’ve heard people complain about the loporrit section’s length but that was my pretty much my favorite zone in the whole game. they’re cute and actually funny which is almost impossible to do in a video game let alone one that has to be localized. if i have a complaint they should have let you be nicer to them for building you a moonbase. they should add moonbase housing. also the ff4 music pierced some nostalgia nerve in my brain and messed me up. loved the improved animation of the cutscenes throughout.

thavnair effectively brought the heaviness and i’m glad we got at least some dragon content. matsya running in desperation drat. the initial vrta reveal was cool. elpis got me in my feelings a few times too even though like the metaphysics of ascian titles and poo poo mostly makes my eyes glaze over. i try to follow that to the degree necessary to follow the story and don’t always succeed. the criticisms ive seen about making a new universal force to serve the villain they introduce in the second act of the fifth movie are pretty valid but don’t bother me because meteion and hermes were really well realized. and i dont harbor any delusions about writers having grand plans for these years long epics. more importantly they served the themes. and i imagine that people that really get into your emet-selchs loved all that. i think by putting these idk greek names on everything they gave themselves some creative license because my brain goes ‘oh this is like mythological creation myth stuff so it doesnt have to follow rules or have a straightforward timeline’.

what else. i think the question about punishing people who don’t remember their crimes is an interesting one. from yotsuyu to hermes. the crux of the twins’ dad character was kind of cliche. hes a foil to fandaniel in that one will do anything to survive while the other will do anything to destroy but i dont know that they really play with that. the overarching themes of life having an infinite amount of new things to learn/pursue and the necessity and value of its insurmountable struggles is a savvy one for an ongoing mmo.

the last zone was really well paced. like i was ready for the end and once it was in sight they let you get there without dragging it out. so that was appreciated. but it had some great aesthetics and direction too when youre walking up in the cafe all alone. the whole expansion does a great job of leveraging the story and characters of the last 10 years. there but also in the underworld duty with shiva saving you from the boss and poo poo drat. the flower field was devastating.

i kind of assumed the next story would be a new planet, or a new shard, and that might give them an excuse to do a power-creep stat squish lol. but i guess just other continents on etheirys are in play. i wonder if they collect data on who people picked to knock on your door at the annex like ‘ok… graha and yshtola were the most picked so theyre coming along to the next story.’ so they surprised me a bit by leaving the door open to just sticking around with the whole crew at the end. either way it would/will be nice to do some ~adventuring~ with lower stakes now that we’ve solved the yknow crisis of the creation myth.

already tickled by what i hope will be a slow rebuild of the last dregs from patch to patch. or if they do a doman rebuild thing. that kind of poo poo is what interested me in mmos when they were a novel concept and hey now ive finally played one

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 13, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

summoner is cool now. i can cast fast spells and do big damage with cool effects and zoom forward to drop a book on you i think. it seems really well suited for MSQing because by the time you get from one overworld battle to the next youve probably got a fresh bahamut to burn them down with real quick

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'd if my preferred course was an alternative to extinction

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Shogeton posted:

A small thing most people probably noticed and might have been mentioned here. But I love how in the credits, the first music you hear is just the music of your starting City.

i was actually impressed with how much stuff seemed to vary depending on what content you'd done. like i'm pretty sure you get a special convo with your starting npc too? and i'm presuming stuff like 'how about let me just use my omega jammer' is dependent on you having done all those quests.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

puddingway plush

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yknow id been thinking they would probably do something to try to give a fresh start to new players for the next expansion. and it seems like they may not. but i was wondering if this is a good way they could have their cake and eat it too and was curious if other people would find it off-putting

do like a second protagonist character. so for the new expack everybody has to create a new character and start from 0 on one of the new jobs. at level 30 instead of getting your job stone or whatever, your original WOL walks through a portal on to your shard and joins the story. for new players that havent created a WOL they just plug in meteor survivor. for existing players, once you hit that point, your job progress and everything becomes shared between your two characters, which would have the bonus effect of basically giving you a swappable fantasia

supposing the level cap is 50 like ARR, you’d be incentivized to play one of the new jobs rather than sync down something you have at 90 which could be a drawback but theyd be able to design the new jobs with that in mind. just thinking itd be tough trying to balance on-boarding new players without expecting them to play 5 games to get to the shiny new stuff and also respecting peoples investment in their current character but theres an idea. treat the original msq like a prequel and then new players can go back and design a WOL and jump into at their leisure.

i do hope the next arc comes with like an aesthetic refresh of like the UI and stuff. slap a new skin on there. they dabbled with some new text boxes in this expansion i think. also throw out the little interstitial cutscene music that theyve been reusing since ARR and come up with new generic themes for those etc

oops total fantasybooking snipe

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

where does unukulhai hang out

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the game is not good at killing people and for that reason basically none of the semi-frequent fake deaths they do have much impact, but it doesnt really bother me. it's an ongoing mmorpg

moenbryda reeked of a character introduced for the purpose of dying and they finally got something out of it with the urianger content in this expansion

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not positive but i think the japanese VO said akasa sometimes when the english translation uses dynamis

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat is etheirys alone in the universe now. if there were any other planets other than those visited by meteion did they since die from her oblivion song. i thought the next expansion might deal with the dragons vs omega system and they pretty much said nope theyre all dead too

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

It's Koji being a memey gently caress. One of Thule's meanings can be interpreted as fantasy. The last zone IS Final Fantasy.

i object to characterizing this as 'memey'

edit oh another page

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i went to see my pal shtola in her house cave and i was happy matoya got her cat daughter back

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'll complain!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i heard the english jullus va and feel good about playing in japanese

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh no im actually undergeared for the raid what the

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Good gravy we're even getting Chronicles of a New Era so soon?? This is my first time being up to date, I was not expecting this speed of production. Oh whoops I forgot that this refers to the raid storylines and not the 6.1 story.

E: Wait they adjusted the sound of Broil IV? Wasn't that the sound everyone was saying sounded really good?

E2:

They buffed grapes

broil iv sounds too masculine for my voice set is that what they mean

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its funny that half the scions still have the ability to breathe underwater and half dont

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

one time i set a song i loved as my morning alarm tone and that was a mistake

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is there a chimera in the series other than mystic quest thats the only one i remember

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh kan e senna does the yuna sending animation at the end of the role quest neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cafe gotta be a doman restoration level rebuild