Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

Basically my only disappointment with the patch was that they didn't voice that conversation between Lyna and the Exarch before the trial and I think the scene really suffered for it.

Haven't we already had a clown Ascian? Zenos should not be the straight man, it's kind of painful to watch those scenes.

We HAD a clown Ascian, but Lahabrea has been dead for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Meiteron posted:

the latter was done with a lot of work to tie it into the actual world of XIV and set up actual world building for the MMO we're in

Was it? Because imo exposition doesn't count if it's done in the most dense and insufferable method possible, with the driest and most insufferable NPCs available.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Get in the G-Warrior, G'raha

Or else the Warrior of Light will get to pilot it and they'll be completely insufferable with joy about the experience.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Guys the sound is an alternate timeline failed Crystal Tower playing the vuvuzela.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Dragon Dad specifically tells the WoL in like, 2.5 (4?) ish that Hydaelyn is running dangerously low on aether and that's why he shot you through the face and took away your Blessing of Light, because Hydaelyn was killing herself protecting you against stuff like Ultima, and because he thinks Crystal Mom is helicoptering you.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I'm making a celebratory statue of her anyways because she killed Asahi.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

Tangentially related to this conversation, why does Amaurot still exist after Emet-Selch is defeated? I get why Anamnesis Anyder is there (it's real), but shouldn't the phantom Amaurot have disappeared?

He built that poo poo to last. It's staying until the aether naturally expends itself.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Eox posted:

Zenos' Resonance is patterned after Krile's Echo, maybe they really gently caress up the settings trying to make Zenos work and we get a Krile Weapon.

The Diamond Weapon phase transition is the pilot activating Oversoul, whereupon they gently caress off to go dunk on Alphinaud. The "duty complete" scene has all eight WoLs looking confused and irritated. The post-trial cutscene is Diamond Weapon harassing Alphinaud about his crush on Y'shtola and embarrassing polisci 101 thesis.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

They're kids, it's fine, kids rush stuff all the time.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the emet selch stuff is where i really wished the game was more like a mass effect thing where you could direct the story. I felt like I could turn emet to the good side using dialogue options. I understand why the game isn't like that, and normally the writing is good enough I don't mind, but that was one situation where I felt like I could score a diplomacy victory.

Emet-Selch created the Allagan Empire, whose main cultural exports are war crimes.

To put it in dril terms:

wint @dril posted:

issuing correction on a previous linkshell transmission of mine, regarding the terror group Emet-Selch. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cleretic posted:

it's why Emet-Selch never really figured out the Exarch

Honestly, if any one of us were in Emet-Selch's position and fancy coat would any of us guess "the half rock catboy who nakedly wants to do the dirty with the warrior of light is a time/space traveler"?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cleretic posted:

No, because crucially he's not aware that time travel is even a possibility, because he can't do it. Since the the Ascians are the most capable people on the star just by nature, and they can't time travel, why would it ever be on the table?

I think you're letting your dislike of Emet-Selch cloud your thinking, because we, as in the human us, aren't aware that time travel is a possibility, because we can't do it, and I'm pretty sure if some person showed up and was like "sup, time travel exists," every single person would be "loving excuse me?"

I'm not sure this is a track that should or could be taken.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I still want a dialogue option where the WoL goes up to Magnai and says "hey idiot I'm the sun check out this shiny rock"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I thought if we ever get to 14/14 we'd have all the power of the original Ascians though?

I think we'd be able to be as strong as the original Amaroutines/Ancients (whichever name you'd prefer to use), since the main(?) function of having a more complete soul is being able to hold more aether in your body, which you can extrapolate means you'd be able to do more insane aether poo poo. But we won't necessarily become 14/14 and then suddenly hit Super Eorzeajin.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Also I love that FFXIV respects its audience enough to leave his shade in the Seat of Sacrifice visually as a generic Ancient

They're ALL dressed like that when they're in their natural huge forms though, besides the Convocation getting the mask which I don't think you can really see in SoS.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lahabrea is Hephaestus clearly given he was the best at phantom creation with an especially strong skill in fire spirits.

Lahabrea is Ares, actually, because like Ares he keeps getting owned in dumb ways.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

clubDeuce posted:

who has expressed a keen interest in ridding us of her blessing

Unless we want to say Middy is lying, then the reason he blasted it out of us is officially "mom is killing herself babying you, knock it off and get swole yourself."

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cephas posted:

All I know about Endwalker is that against all odds, Ishikawa is going to somehow make me cry over Minfilia.

She already did, but her name is Ryne and she is my daughter. If anything bad happens to her I WILL travel back in time and personally swirly each and every Amaroutine.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Gearhead posted:

I'm still morbidly curious what the whole cause of the original Apocalypse is going to turn out to be. They wouldn't introduce a concept like this, narratively, without probably wanting to make it important again some day.

Give me the loving Kingdom Hearts raid, Square-Enix.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Onmi posted:

Unfortunately, any KH raid would involve getting Disney involved, and Disney is loving miserable to work with. And yes, they would have to be involved, all the KH OC's are owned by Disney and they are balls deep in taking control of basically anything involved with it. It would also have to be temporary content. That's how previous KH crossovers in other works have had to be.

Intellectually, I know this. Emotionally, I refuse to acknowledge reality.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

multijoe posted:

That seems... kind of like incest? Please do not gently caress your alternate self

It's absolutely not incest, even if the sundered fragments touch.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I'm the braver person so my theory is that literally every single person that's ever been alive after Hydaelyn did the big splitty is Emet-Selch. Everyone is Emet-Selch.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

Even the lady with the undercut? ALL of the ladies with the undercut??

Yes.

SirSamVimes posted:

Are... we Emet-Selch?

Yes but we're also Azem. It's very complicated.

Cleretic posted:

Finally, everyone hates Emet-Selch as much as I do.

Emet-Selch is a very cool villain, unlike you, who is a regular human being and not one part of an immortal sad boomer ghost wizard.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

DOUBLE CERBERUS

Catdog double cerberus, or one cerberus of heads stacked on another cerberus of heads?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hien x Yugiri is most likely not happening because it's probably not a good idea for a lord to marry his retainer, especially if she's a ninja assassin.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

the_steve posted:

Fandango will go for the Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal only for Zenos to remind him that being an Anime Himbo gives him plot armor against other villains.

How DARE you. A himbo must be beefy, dumb, AND kindhearted. Zenos qualifies for beefy and probably qualifies for dumb, but he is not kindhearted at all.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

FunkyFjord posted:

I can only pronounce Fandaniel's name as Fan Daniel.

like he's really excited he gets to play a villian in his favorite rpg series and he's hamming it up so hard that he's consistently one once of excitement away from wetting himself.

I get that he and Zenos are both 'I'm murder happy please kill me' characters but unless they do something interesting with him Fandaniel just kinda feels like he might as well be a whacky zanny version of Avatar's firelord; a totally flat character. no hate, everything else about that show is fantastic.

We've also met Fandaniel for like, 20 minutes at absolute most. Maybe he needs time to build up to where we all like him as a villain. I know I thought precisely nothing of Emet-Selch when he first appeared as Solus.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

the_steve posted:

Zenos is Himbo Sephiroth.

Zenos CANNOT be a himbo because the definition of himbo includes kindness, which Zenos has the exact opposite quality of. He has anti-kindness.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

The ship on the logo is a fakeout. When we think about going to the moon, Mini Middy just appears and tells us he can fly us to the moon, then grows huge on the spot like he did in the Omega raid.

He however does this in the Rising Stones, smashing through the building,promptly terrifying the poo poo out of everyone in Mor Dhona, and accidentally flattening the city because Midgardsormr is roughly the size of a capital ship.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

My theory for why Lunar Odin exists is that Fancy Dan strapped a bunch of the weeaboos you learn about in the 50-60 SAM quests into a tower.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

What if the End of days was caused by creation magics running amok?
You are wrong. There is no debate to be had here. You are flat out wrong because that goes against the literal text of the MSQ and the nature of ShB's story. There is no amaroutine hubris at play. They did nothing wrong to have the End of Days thrust on them. Their creation magic hosed up because The Sound showed up.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cleretic posted:

[...]We know literally nothing about what caused The Sound[...]nor exactly the angle they're going with for Amaurot.
1) My point just depends on the fact that The Sound comes out of nowhere and is not caused by the people of Amaurot.

2) Things we know about Amaurot given the actual text of the MSQ:

a) They're good people and we are supposed to take Emet-Selch's portrayal of his people in good faith because as much of a dipshit as he absolutely is, he went out of his way to not only help us but also say, not try to throw us into the sun, or teleport every Scion and himself (obviouslt not a Scion), six miles into the air and throw a 50 damage rock at each of us, enabling death by fall damage.
b) They did not cause The Sound.
c) The Sound was not "punishment" for "hubris."
d) Amaurot did nothing to deserve any kind of punishment, especially on this scale.
e) The Sound is some more-or-less cosmic accident/way outside danger that caused creation magic to go nuts and create horrible horrors as well as terrible terrors.
f) The ancients did their absolute best to solve and fix the problem in good faith without unnecessary outside loss.

The narrative requires, and outright states, that Amaurot by all rights should have still existed and did not deserve its tragic fate.

Lord_Magmar posted:

There doesn't have to be hubris for their reliance on Creation Magic to be shown to be poor when it has no answer to The Sound.

The point I was replying to strongly implies that the poster thought Amaurot deserved it. How else would you read "What if the End of days was caused by creation magics running amok?"

1: So what do you mean about "What if the End of days was caused by creation magics running amok?" Because the End of Days is caused by The Sound causing creation magic to start shooting out horrible monsters without any input or ability to be stopped. The only way to read this is "the Amaroutines did it" unless you're just repeating what was actually, literally stated in the MSQ as if it wasn't actually, literally just stated in the MSQ.

2: My point does not care about what The Sound is beyond what we know of in the MSQ.

3: Emet-Selch has never lied to the characters at any point in the MSQ, and Hythlodaeus' point about his own creation and aberrant awareness was made to highlight Emet-Selch's own insecurities and cracks in his worldview and the difficulties of creation magic, even for one of the mightiest beings among the already mightiest. "But what if he's actually a liar" invalidates a big narrative aspect of ShB.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I want a quest where you go back to the Crystarium and are tasked with finding a place to dump 17 billion stale coffee biscuits that were mistakenly ordered due to a clerical error.

The WoL eats them all. They can use the power of the Echo, but they don't need it.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

the_steve posted:

Not gonna lie, I honestly expect some sort of "take the wind from her sails" moment where she points out that she cured Tempering, and some forum douche will be all "That's cute. Our cure for Tempering is grape flavored and also we've had it for decades, we just never made it public because we think literally everyone not from here is beneath us and would lead to more Primals being summoned since they would no longer fear being Tempered."

This would be impossibly stupid.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Why do so many goons ITT want to try and replicate the feeling of deleting your save file in NieR but with FF14?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

get this:

zenos roleplay duty

Hell yeah I love roleplay duties.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cleretic posted:

the one NPC in Sharlayan who's clearly the Source's Granson

Who is this?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

They've got Forte in the attacks don't they? That counts imo

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

OhFunny posted:

The 12th one, who's deflected to our side, blocks the instant death move aimed at us.

Ugh we're going to have to do an ultimate to save this one too?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This one was actually p. funny.

I had a really good chuckle at "Appeal to a frustrated middle class" myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think it's named after the sword that is one of the relics used to summon him. The same sword later gets given to Zenos, who uses it as his primary weapon up until he switches to Reaper for Endwalker.

Susano's sword attack is the Ame-no-Murakumo, Zenos' sword is the Ame-no-Habakiri.