Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I thought there had been a line that Cloud of Darkness had ended up eaten by many smaller voidsent.

I could imagine a fully flooded 1st having an area like Mt. Gulg in it, in which Innocence rules as a sort of demiurgic Metatron over an angelic hierarchy of Sin Eaters who essentially do nothing and exist in perfect order. But I think it would mostly be a wasteland. The feature of the 1st is that new life doesn't form just as the 13th has life unable to die (because both of them have a hosed Lifestream: it seems like the Lifestream on some level is the natural process by which light aether becomes dark, you might say).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Oh I think people are definitely Hinting.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Anyone know, in the new Blue Mage quests, what Martyn is talking about in the lv73 quest about magic other than blue magic? Does that come up in some of the later quests, or is it an allusion to a new job, perhaps?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The bit where he pauses to pick up some coins someone dropped on the floor, *minutes after mentioning casually he is an expert magical user on par with the best of his age*, truly exemplifies this. I love this Tragic Loserman.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

What's the colour of Endwalker?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

We haven't seen a voiced Source hrothgar yet, have we? The Ronso on the First all have Nrowegian names and Norwegian voice actors, so it'd follow that the ones on the Source would have Slavic accents of some sort. Is that what the voice in the trailer has? I don't know I'm not good with most accents.

Of course given it's a South America setting maybe we'll have accents closer to that region like the Indian accent present all throughout Thavnair regardless of the character's race.

It sounds like a South American accent of some kind to me? But maybe I'm just primed to think that!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I get that by nature of the plan we're gonna go to the First as a significant beat, but it just sorta feels like less when there's not some major bullet-point content happening there. (Plus, having some Duty Support First NPCs would've been neat.)

All that said, I have my own theory on what we're meant to find familiar about the Lunar Subterrane:

Holy poo poo this is actually an odd resemblance.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Hermes really is a loving arse isn't he? Like there's that Omega quest where you can tell the Watcher who you think was right out of him, Emet, or Venat, and while I can understand people choosing Emet or Venat or saying "gently caress 'em all' or "they all made points", who are the people who played Endwalker, I wonder, and concluded that Hermes had the right idea. Hermes, a dickhead who we have to kill like... four times... over the course of the game? Really Fandaniel said he wasn't him but honestly Fandaniel was just Hermes devoid of the need to pretend he had a conscience.

I thought I'd read, by the way, that in the Global Freedom world or whatever, it had been Meteion that started the war by asking her questions. I have no idea where I got that though.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Countblanc posted:

i picked Hermes because he's the hottest

This is perverse. I have a horrible feeling it might be technically true but I don't like that it is. (Venat is hot but it's in a sort of abstract way, Emet... is Emet.)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty essential to Hermes character that he did have a conscience. He had an extremely strong conscience. He wanted to do right not just by his own people, not just by the convenient and pretty species, but by every living thing he could. Hermes was a genuinely good and caring person who was extremely loving sad by what he saw as the constantly destruction of innocence life, sad enough about it that he actually made the Elpis flower change color. If he was just pretending or just faking it that wouldn't have happened. It happened because he cared just that much and he found the fundimental idea of destroying life just for living wrong.

And the thing is that the game agrees. The Ascians are just the Ancients taken to a horrible extreme, and Hermes' viewpoint is the one the heroes espouse, that even imperfect, flawed or dangerous beings deserve a chance to live their lives and don't deserve to be killed because they're not as good. The entire game is literally fighting to prove to the Ascians that Hermes was right.

The tragedy of Hermes is that he had incredibly good intentions and ran into the worst possible outcome. That all life ends in destruction and there is no avoiding it. And even at the end he wanted to be proven wrong on that. He wanted to prove that life had another outcome and he wanted to be able to genuinely assist in that. He threw his civilization away and doomed everyone because he wanted to be proven wrong. Even Amon wasn't fully broken until the 1-2 punch of having his memories restored alongside Xande going full nihilist which only seemed to prove his fears right.

The person Hermes ended up being is a tragedy because he was a genuinely kind and caring individual who just wanted a way to prevent suffering and the universe chose him specifically to poo poo on 24/7 until he broke.

And it's easy to say "Well Hermes was just a bad person" but at the end of the day Hermes biggest crime was applying the Ancient's viewpoint of other species to themselves and demanding they undergo the same trials they expect of other species. In comparison you can look at Athena who saw the imperfection of the Ancients and decided the solution was to become an even bigger god so she could do the same thing to them. At the end of the day Hermes chose to be a man and stand alongside his fellow Ancients to prove their worth while Athena decided she was better than them all. It kind of emphasizes the major thing with Hermes. He wanted to be wrong and the universe kept proving him right.

No, you know what, this is totally fair and I think I was wrong. He's a very tragic figure ultimately and I think the reason I find him so challenging is that I also struggle with depression and despair and I could see myself moving through the same mindset.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

I'm trying to remember: do we ever see Ancients reacting to accidental death on any level beyond "oh, that horrible tragedy across the sea, how awful?" I got the impression that Ancient society had lost (or never possessed) the capacity to process and healthily grieve untimely death, as opposed to planned "returning to the Star," and that was a major factor in the societal psychological collapse after the Final Days.

Incidentally, not to interrupt this whole conversation: I am certain I remember this line from Shadowbringers, about a first tragedy across the sea which was essentially the final days coming to somewhere that wasn't Amarout, and thinking "huh, that's oddly specific". It's possible that was in ancient-equivalent of Radz-at-Han but I'm wondering if it's possible it was in ancient-Tural. While the Zodiark Saga is over, I could well see some ancient stuff being at least relevant in Dawntrail: it's the same planet with the same history, after all. But we know pretty much nothing about its history already I think? I'm quite interested in what will turn up.

I have nothing to say on the wider conversation except that, re: Athena, I'm a feminist so I support women's wrongs as well as women's rights.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I actually spent actual money on a Fantasia to change my patron deity to Oschon because I think Deryk is cool and the whole Oschon vibe was more in line with what my character had become in play. I also slightly adjusted the shade of her skin while I was there but that was it. Best £X I ever spent and the EW Alliance raids made that sale for them.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I really enjoyed the scenes after the second raid. I liked the exploration of what the Twelve actually mean to people. I'm hoping we get more of that.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Think I may have mentioned this before but this questline actually made me spend actual money on a Fantasia to turn my patron into Oschon from Rhalgr.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's kinda funny you need a Fantasia to do this.

I also took the opportunity to slightly tweak my skin shade so I was less reflectively pale. But it is a bit silly.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Finally caught up on my BLU quests up to the new Carnivale fight and I have a NUMBER of questions about Martyn's magical abilities. Did this guy accidentally master like eight different schools of magic purely in aid of making himself a better Blue Mage, the pro-wrestler of jobs? I'm not really sure if he's an idiot or a genius.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

According to one of the times he's fought in cutscenes, he fought Sophia Extreme and won. I couldn't identify all of the spells he cracked out against Trachtoum Mistbeard, but I'm pretty sure a few of those were spells form fights he literally couldn't have even been there for.

Martyn's got a strong case for being the strongest 'normal human' in the entire game.

Yes, doesn't he use one which we get from the First? Much to consider.

I like the idea that he isn't even like an Ancient shard or anything like that, he realise is just a normal guy who is just Built Different. And cannot manage his finances worth poo poo.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

For the 7.0 Unreals, it's possible that Endwalker level 90 fights could be updated for level 100.

This feels quite unexpected to me? Like, what about the StB and ShB fights?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

there's no rule that says they can't jump between expansions for unreals

Very true - I guess it depends what the design goals for them are.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I feel like the brief comment about the memoria crystal's psyche resonating in the Lunar Subterranae was probably proof that OG!Golbez (not Durante) was an Azem shard - what did people think?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I think that's really tenuous, and I expect to hear people claim it to be evidence for years despite that.

I would think so except for the whole "we saw the flashback in 6.4 in first person" thing, plus some comments about them being "the best of us" and bringing people together. I don't disagree it's a reach!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I actually wasn't clear what happened to that crystal in the end.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

So has anyone pulled the model of the character who shows up in the post-credit scene yet?

Yep - appears to be a probably-furred set of legs dressed in Mayan-esque togs. Femme Hrothgar Real imo.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

In retrospect "The Dark Warrior becomes a Paladin" in the FF4 themed expansion where the paladin is the cover job really REALLY should have been obvious and yet I never saw anyone predict it.

The one person I saw who posted it was one of the more conspiracy-brained speculators on the Balance Discord lore channel. Truly stopped clocks etc.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

I will NEVER not be mean to the elementals. I hate them. I want them GONE.

I tried to explain to Nophica my AEAB (All Elementals Are Bastards) policy but she was having none of it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I don't think it can be. With the natural assumption that they'd use the femroe frame, their legs would be a bit beefier than that, right?

The legs also don't have a tail of any kind, which ostensibly knocks out hrothgar, as well as miqo'te and au ra. But it might be possible that the angle they showed in that scene wouldn't have pictured a tail, so the model just doesn't have any anyway; I'm not sure, I'm not familiar enough with tailed races to have a great sense of that.

Having seen this zoomed-in version, I'm pretty convinced that there's some fur texture going on but also that they've cut off the tail just to gently caress with dataminers/to make that one animation easier.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Just did the Extreme and it was surprisingly vibesable. We died what felt like ten or more times and I personally (as, to be fair, a tank) had like 4 vuln stacks and two DoTs by the end and I was still basically fine (though we had really good healers).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Veev posted:

Orschon is just "a dude Venat met in the woods" so I don't think he's going to be in the elite research lab.

Oschon was "dude Venat smoked weed and chatted poo poo with" and you know what, that's valid.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

My only comment about the reveal about Zero in the MSQ.

I'm choosing to headcanon that her original name before the Void happened was Cecilia. Anyone else?

Yeah I feel like this is nailed on true to the extent that if they just casually put it in a lorebook it wouldn't surprise me.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I wonder if they're thinking ahead to a Myths of the Realm Ultimate. I know they have a pretty set pattern with Ultimates but I'm not entirely sure if they'll always keep to that, and while you would have to rethink stuff to be an 8-person mech, the raids do seem right for an Ultimate reworking.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Runa posted:

The true RP doom heads compartmentalize WoL/Azem and "my character" as two distinct entities and they just happen to play as one for quest content stuff and another for just being themselves.

I look on it a different way: I view them as the same character but I have different canons for them depending on whether I want them to be the WoL or not.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think one of the reasons for the Elpis section is so that you get time to be buds with Hades and Hyth as yourself and build a connection there, not just because he's thinking of his old flame the whole time.

Also it's a lot easier to be friends with Hades before the twelve millennia of atrocities (and indeed this is part of the pathos of him).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

A friend of mine once suggested combining CUL with different crafters every expansion instead. They've all got about as much connection to cooking as alchemy does, and trying to make something like CRP/CUL work would probably be more interesting.

Just wanna say that the idea that CUL and ALC have nothing to do with each other is incomprehensible to me as a baking fan. Half of what cookery is is applied physics and chemistry in a culinary setting!

If you think carpentry has as much to do with cookery as alchemy, I'm never eating tea at your house: I'd get splinters in my mouth.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Clearly it's not an Alchemist quest line unless it ends either with someone rising from the dead and/or justice being dispensed to criminals, so ShB ALC/CUL already qualifies, but EW ALC/CUL should end with us baking the Philosopher's Scone to beckon the ghost of Mervyn back from the aetherial sea to tell his rival he regrets nothing about his quest for flavor

Anything is possible with sufficient Bread Science.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

She might still end up being a new travel buddy, we have two more MSQ questline drops coming before Dawntrail.

Two more? I thought it was just 6.55?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I think it not impossible that there are some form of exploitative baddies - feel like if you have a thing called Eliminator you are not necessarily goodies - but they might be local or they might be trying to muscle in on the local mining efforts or whatever else.

I read an interview on, I think it was ScreenRant, where YoshiP talked candidly about the work they've been doing to make sure different cultures are represented, and there was lots of emphasis in the presentation today on the pluralistic nature of Tural. Seems like they're really make an effort to not portray things as homogeneous. It's nice.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

McCloud posted:

She did always feel like the least interesting part of that expansion, and also the scions. Only one more boring than Lyse was that lalafel dude whose name I cant remember because he never did anything interesting

I hope you don't mean the absolute boy Pipin Tarupin.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

McCloud posted:

If that’s Raubans kid, then I most certainly dont, he’s cool. Im talking about the other one that Lyse hung out with

Oh - yeah but he does then blow up to start off Stormblood.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I wonder if Cloud might be the remains of the Watcher-mirror somehow (given it was his death that triggered the Flood of Darkness, it seems).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah Aldernard is sort of vaguely the shape of Africa, while actually in practice containing the Mediterranean (including North Africa) and a little bit of North Europe. Ala Mhigo has big Caucasus vibes to me (there are some big salt lakes in Kazakhstan, I think, which closely remind me of the Lochs).

I think the key thing they pretend just doesn't exist is more specifically "south of Sahara Africa" for definite (and honestly only really coastal North Africa is covered I think?). It is quite bullshit. Some White Wolf level world building.