Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think we're going to meet The Mother and she's going to have a strong opinion about Forchenault disowning her kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Emet-Selch was Amon, so he was secretly controlling the Allagan Empire for at least part of its history, too

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

multijoe posted:

[Citation needed]

1) Lord Amon is the one who shut down Allagan research on curing tempering

2) Amon in the tower triggers some of his attacks by doing the finger snap

3) Emet brags to G'raha about how he shaped Allagan civilization and knows everything the tower can do

it's him, who else would be a big theater wizard

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume we'll eventually see if the tempering cure works on an Ascian. Welcome to your 12,000 years of regrets

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wouldn't the ruins of ancient Amourot be under the ocean there on the Source, too?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They address that in Shadowbringers.

The Source has been riddled with so many world-scarring calamities, that surviving ruins would have likely been destroyed or buried completely.

I must have missed that line, but still, might be worth taking a look. And if anyone has found those ruins, it'd be Sharlayan.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Venat's mind and memory may be swiss cheese just like Elidibus at this point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Azem abdicated their position on the convocation, then refused to have anything to do with Venat's faction. I can't imagine that's not a very serious form of protest at the least.

I just want to point out they didn't say she refused. They say she didn't reply. There are other reasons someone might not be able to communicate.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Another thing is that we're all assuming "the defector" refers to Azem, and I think that's correct, but not using a name there gives the writer an out for a twist

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GoingPostal posted:

I think it's a chunk of Dalamud that went sideways, rather than down, when Bahamut broke out. If anyone could get there for space travel, though, the Garleans are my odds on shot. We don't really know if the aethersphere? stops at a certain point or not. Eorzea might not be able to fly past there, since all their ships are aether powered.

If you can breathe on the surface of the moon I'm pretty sure magic works there

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the_steve posted:

The Blessing of the Kami extends to the Lunar Sea.

It would be very funny if the blessing turns out to be "breathe anywhere" instead of "breathe underwater" and the Kojin just never had a chance or reason to try it anywhere else.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I liked the more abstract sin eaters. The rearranging wall of faces, Whimsy, was very Evangelion

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Is there a lore explanation for how linkshells work? The in-ear phone we have. It's obviously some sort of magic yet it's susceptible to eavesdropping and jamming.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've always taken Warrior through the solo msq stuff and used Summoner for the dungeons and trials, I will probably continue that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the part of new Summoner that confuses me is why tri-disaster still exists

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I should be able to glamour the primal summons into gigantic carbuncles

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Emet and the other Convocation members were also tempered by the primal they summoned. I assume this happened almost immediately after, and I'm guessing it wasn't part of their plan, was it?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like the theory that Emet and Lahabrea survived the sundering by being on the moon when it happened.

The dialogue in Amaurot implies that the ancients fought and defeated the first beasts. They just couldn't defeat the final beast without a "decisive sacrifice." But they tried. Maybe those two were the designated survivors in case the summoning failed?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well that structure on the moon in the trailer looks like it was built by the Ancients. It might pre-date the Final Days? We'll find out. And the crashed spacecraft looked Allagan, but perhaps they attempted a moon landing and got shot down.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

i've watched enough animes that i can say with confidence both zodiark and hydaelin will sacrifice themselves to power up the wol to let them access their true form to beat up the final days

yeah I'm going with this. We're playing an interactive anime and this is the anime ending

we're going to end this by punching Big Noise in the face with the full power of creation

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just don't believe the first sacrifice of 50% of the population was completely voluntary. Hell, we know the name of someone who refused to go along with it, and while Azem may have been a better person that the rest of the Convocation, that's a pretty low bar. It's voluntary but all 13 people who came up with the plan conveniently volunteered to live? Come on. Those fuckers killed half their population to save the other half and then the survivors who were tempered by the primal agreed it was all for the greater good.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Amaurot is Star Trek's Federation in city form. It's a post scarcity utopia for people who live there, but if their stuffy rules and slow lifestyle don't appeal to you, you either have to conform or get out. People living on the fringes have a different view of utopia. And if you're outside their sphere and you need help, don't bother asking, they're not going to give you anything.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My own guess/theory is that the WoL is an artificial soul, a being constructed by Hydaelyn/Venat. Hydaelyn was getting weaker, the Ascians were getting bolder, a second calamity was coming just years after the last so they fished Azem's soul out of the lifestream and padded it with bits of the souls of past warriors of light to make a complete person. Then you wake up on a carriage or ship headed for the city with no past and nothing but a strong instinct to help people.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I interpreted it as, Emet was such a planner and a plotter and a schemer that he even planned for the possibility that he was wrong and you were worthy.

But it takes souls some time to dissolve into the lifestream, presumably longer the denser they are, so it makes sense that he was watching and still had just enough self left to help.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Will we finally get to see Thal's balls?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/VENTEAS_/status/1440330665258479618

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We're going to find and make friends with the one voidsent that just has a strong compulsion to help other voidsent with their problems

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Can you un-temper an Ascian if you throw enough aether at the pig?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Presumably, but the only three tempered Ascians are dead. And it would probably be ingenuous to call Elidibus tempered.

Are you sure only those three were tempered? Because the very last scene of 2.0 is a whole room full of them going on about their one true god Zodiark

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Right, but if you're one of the unsundered assholes in charge, the first thing you're going to do with a new hire is induct them into the Zodiark fan club.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The unsundered can't temper them, and Zodiark is unavailable at the moment.

It's just memories and propaganda.

Elidibus was some sort of weird primal, though. Wouldn't that be part of his job?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Maybe. I don't know how it would work, but we definitely see other Ascians talking about their one true god, and that's usually the game's tell that someone is tempered. I can believe there are individuals like Fandaniel it didn't work on, but someone who is doing it for money or just faking it would be a potential liability.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I would assume the various races that were all somehow created by the sundering are soul-compatible

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think Thancred and Urianger will get some sort of buddy blaze-of-glory moment that ends with one of them getting killed. Probably Thancred, since Urianger is the quest-giver for a ton of trials and stuff and that's probably a pain the rear end for them to change. I think Y'shtola will get the fakeout death again, I think using her life force to see will catch up and incapacitate her at a critical moment and the end of her arc is accepting being blind.

I don't think we'll fight Hydaelyn but I don't think it or Zodiark will still exist at the end. They'll end up merged with each other or so drained we absorb them or something.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anything that looks technological and mean probably looks Garlean to your average Eorzean soldier

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I think it's extremely likely we get killed, and then brought back to life with the power of friendship or whatever. I think the WoL sacrificing themselves to save a character/the world would be dope but obviously you can't kill off the player character so they'll be brought back by some kind of magic

it's called mastering the echo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oh let's see how many things I can be wrong about.

1 - Who/what is the final boss of Endwalker? The Sound or the creator of The Sound. Which is in...
2 - What is the final zone of Endwalker? Trial in Hell. The Underworld. Like an anti-lifestream where souls too corrupted to reincarnate get stuck.
3 - What is the final 4-man dungeon of Endwalker MSQ? Pathway to the above, probably deep under Lake Silvertear.
4 - Will there be any death fakeouts, if so, who? The twins early on, and you, the WoL, near the end.
5 - Will any of the Scions actually die? I'm going to say Thancred and Urianger since I think their stories are done.
6 - What is the biggest unexpected lorebomb? Purple Crystal... good? Or at least not evil in any conventional sense.
7 - Is there a tease of where the story goes from here, if so, what is it? I don't think 6.0 itself will end with a tease of future story, that will come starting with 6.1. But I think 7.0 will be us teaching the Echo-havers how to hop between shards and taking a team to enlighten the 13th like the role quests teased.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It would make sense if the holes in Fandaniel's incomplete/broken personality filled in with amphibian DNA lingering bits of the soul of his host body. Not enough Asahi left to be called Asahi, just enough to drive an Ascian insane

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Radz-at-Han also has a treaty going with Garlemald, which might make it a good piece of neutral ground to hang out in and plan an incursion.

They had a treaty, but that tower is an overtly hostile act that they surely blame the Empire for. The plot line of us going there could be as simple as, if we help them with this right now they may switch sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It might be something like you can't be tempered if your aether is denser/stronger than the being trying to do the tempering? So pre-sundering Zodiark could temper Ancients but post-sundering it might not have the power. And the WoL can no sell poo poo primals like Ifrit because we're a big walking aether battery