Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
With all the crystals collected in Amaurot, my immediate thought was that "Ascian" is going to be a job for the next expansion somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Pug groups were clearing Shiva with 8-9 stacks from footage I was reviewing back in ARR. Most groups nowadays are hitting the 9-10 and even enrage.

I would chalk this up to rotations being more complex than they were in ARR and the ilvl sync. So the devs expecting 80% competency of an ARR rotation back then is very different than 80% now and the variance in good/bad players is way higher. On top of that, they know everyone trying this will pretty much be at ilvl cap already so there's no outgearing it.

Edit: Oh, also solo tank strats. The difference between a tank and actual DPS's DPS was smaller back then, but having an additional DPS would definitely help in that regard.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 17, 2020

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's been a decent number of fights where you need to kill multiple targets near the same time as each other. A1N/S and phases in UCoB and TEA come to mind. Thornmarch Extreme was a pretty challenging one at correct ilvl. There's even a guildhest for it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There were three trailers for ShB. First trailer barely had a teaser of the gunblade Thancred was holding, second trailer showed it off and Minifilia as well as Y'shtola and Urianger, and then the third trailer showed Eulmore, the Crystal Tower, Crystarium, and Dancer.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Ninja Perfect Dodge could be used on two notable mechanics in ARR. T9 Nael dives and Titan Landslides. For that matter, the BLM shield used to be two different abilities and the physical one could absorb two physical hits and had a gigantic 60 second duration.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Where did you find the Chinese script? Has the Chinese text mod been updated recently?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm disappointed we didn't get a duty action that borrowed PvP DRG lb to knock her out of her tornado.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The real question is where to put the XIV Gilgamesh on the timeline of Gilgamesh's travels through the various games.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Wait, what if Manderville relic quest is crafting the legendary relics for Greg because of his never ending search and playing up the gag from his XII/XIII-2 appearance where he's using replicas of other iconic swords from the series?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
This will never happen in FFXIV in normal content but I recall a cool take on Time Mage DPS in Super Kirby Clash.

It's a free to play beat-em-up multiplayer Kirby game where your ranking on defeating a boss is graded by how long you took to defeat the boss. The Time Mage's gimmick is that it can literally freeze the timer on the boss encounter, thus modifying the "second" part of "damage-per-second." Sort of like how Alexander's time stops go a bit beyond normal stun animations and actually freeze your buffs/debuffs for resolution.

I don't see this ever entering normal content in FFXIV, but maybe some sort of special Blue Mage thing.

Ast had a bit of that flavor, with Celestial Opposition stunning enemies and extending buffs (so kind of like stopping time for your enemies and letting your allies benefit more) but since all important bosses are immune to stun it didn't really feel like that was happening. The funniest thing you could do though was completely throw off rotations by applying Enhanced Spear on like a Dragoon or Nin and throw off their timing on their oGCDs. Old Spear was cooldown reduction for abilities used while under the effect, and enhanced was for 1.5x potency of that card. Paired that with double extensions from both Time Dilation and Celestial Opposition and that's 45 seconds where you completely throw off someone's rotation. That's way more time-manipulating shenanigan flavor than anything else they did.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Phase 5 got datamined and replicated on a private server.

Gigantic spoilers for the phase: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1HP4y167cE/

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The difficulty in normal mode raids varies quite a bit, although it's gotten slightly better over time. A4N was a notable step up in difficulty compared to most other casual 8 man content when it was current. That's the exception rather than the rule thought. More recently there's E12N which wasn't too difficult either, it was just kind of long and demoralizing to fail in the second phase and have to sit through all the cutscenes for a weekly grind.

Looking back at Ultima Unreal and even something like Chimera/Hydra, I feel like the playerbase has gotten better in general compared to ARR days.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Allarion posted:

It's why Odin being considered Extreme level always confused me, cause all it is is one giant dps and heal check, as well as just testing how good you are at dodging. Though for people who are still new at that level, it's plausible they'll fail it since higher likelihood of ice mages and honest healers.

I remember the heal check in Odin being high enough in ARR that it was the fight where Succor or even Medica II spam wasn't entirely wrong due to the amount of bleeds going out and generally limited AoE healing options that healers had at the time.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Clear vids are popping up for TOP now:

Neverland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX39_Exx_L8

Aether Group 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1s4FgeuDqY

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
After seeing a Reddit post about the second boss of Lapis Manalis judging your groups' DPS and speed in killing her, I tried getting the rank 1 dialogue with some friends last night. My DPS isn't BiS since I didn't do P8S, but even after I stepped out and a different DPS joined that was BiS that still wasn't enough with food+pots. It took intentionally sandbagging on the trash mobs and single pulling to prolong the combat right before the boss so they could roll into the boss arena with all cooldowns and full resources on top of food+pots in order to get the kill time for the dialogue. Fun little easter egg that very few people are going to see considering that it'll be impossible to get that dialogue with a standard DF party (this was done with 1 tank 3 DPS).

This is the dialogue in case anyone's curious:

quote:

<creak> Regimen complete. Evaluation ranking: 1.

Even the great rulers of voidsent would struggle to contend with such strength.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Reworked Diadem also had the hilarious result of having gear that was so RNG that people were calling it to be banned from FFLogs at the time because the gear was using stat scaling for leveling gear for upcoming Stormblood and thus scaled much more than the 10 ilvls suggested on it from other HW end-game gear, but you had to deal with aetherial randomized substats so it was RNG (it dropping) on top of RNG (for your class since they were untradeable) on top of RNG (with good substats).

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Edit: Whoops wrong thread.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 27, 2023

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It's not just four level 80s, it's four level 80s, each in a completely different role. Some people are absolutely going to hate playing one role over another even if they can grok a new class's rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I know MMOs had DPS checks, but Horny checks?

Lost Ark has a typing QTE while a succubus tries to seduce you and if more than four people fail the raid wipes.