Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I've been wondering since I finished the MSQ a few weeks back, but how much of the WoL's journey is common knowledge? Upon starting the Pandaemonium quests, one of the researchers offhand was like "I could scarcely believe half the things I've heard about you!"

oh yeah? What have you heard about me? that towards the end of my journey I went back in time and partly inspired the individual who would go on to become your God to achieve Godhood in the first place? That she wasn't a true God but a primal? Cuz yeah I would scarcely believe that too. That second one feels like it would have pretty serious ramifications among the various cultures of the world, maybe even on par with a calamity.

I'm not even sure that my closest allies are aware that I'm the reincarnation of the sundered soul of Azem. Is all this all an exercise best left to the reader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The WoL encounters a disillusioned and recently unemployed Gleaner who gifts them their soul stone after it reacts to the WoL's ambiguously sized bag. the job is a mix of Gambler and Chemist as you pull random poo poo out of your bag to Use against the enemy in various combinations like Rikku. You periodically get salaries from Sharlayan the more you walk around on foot like in FF8. Scouting gear

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

when I finished 2.5 3.5 a couple months back I wanted to refresh my memory on some of the scions before going forward with the story so I googled Y'shtola and the first line of the top result goes "Y'shtola, also known as Master Matoya, is a character in blah blah..." and I went red with anger thinking I had just been spoiled on some alternate dimension/time travel aspect of FFXIV's story, something like (science fiction short story) All You Zombies where Master Matoya is caught in a predestination paradox and ends up raising her younger self (she hides her cat ears under her witch hat)

God Hole fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 27, 2023

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

stev posted:

FF14 works by anime logic where being in your late 20s means you're a grizzled old soldier, and by your 30s you're some sort of elder sage.

Auron was 35 lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Tengames posted:

To be fair Auron had other problems. Being dead for 10 years might have an effect on your looks

hmm but Yunalesca was still looking pretty good after like a thousand years

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bobtheconqueror posted:

Apparently Urianger is only 29, which is kind of surprising to me. I would have assumed he was the oldest of the original scion cast, but I guess that went to Papalymo at 42.

he says something to Alphinaud offhand like "Elezen are known to be late bloomers, I wasn't fully a man grown until my 20th year"

before that he was Alphinaud-sized

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I only knew of F'lhaminn as the Rising Stones bartender that Thancred poorly flirts with while he's wasted sometime in 2.0 or 2.x.

the fact that she was supposed to be coded as older/Minfilia's adopted mother really came out of left field for me

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Thancred spends a lot of time during 2.x wasted in the Rising Stones after his possession, so I think it happened then. Moenbryda drinks him under the table at some point too

was she long lost? i thought she was just missing from the bar for a bit and you end up locating her on the balcony at Rowena's

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BlazetheInferno posted:

She was thought to have died during the 7th Calamity, though no body is ever found, and the Warrior of Light is sent to chase a rumor that she's actually still alive, which of course turns out to be true. She agrees to help convince Minfilia move to the Rising Stones on the condition that you help her find the last ingredients for a perfume she's been making.

ah okay I got my timelines mixed up a bit. Im thinking of the time you had to find and break the news to her about Minfilia

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

upon further consideration I gotta say if there were any sort of organized alien life left in the universe I'm not sure how tolerant they'd be of the continued existence of Etheirys after the whole millennia-long whoopsie-doodle indiscriminate extermination regime they were wholly responsible for

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I hope we readdress the situation in Garlemald because the most recent questline kind of painted their nascent leadership as unworthy, foppish, and self-centered (their accommodations are way nicer, WoL notes that they had secretly reappropriated supplies from the needy people of Tertium that the WoL had secured at great personal risk)

but that gets tossed to the wayside so that Vrtra could propose his international trade deal, thus legitimizing Garlemald's leadership, and then they all go "man we were wrong about foreigners, I am ready to lead now" and everything else just gets dropped

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Endorph posted:

also someday they'll make ala mhigo an actual city. i believe.

Have any of the other major cities started out as a part of the larger overworld map before becoming its own zone?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

There was one quest in Il Mheg where an Amaro was trying to locate his former master, and it turns out she had come to Il Mheg looking for him and encountered a pixie who turned her into a leafman for something trivial. The pixie seems remorseful and in consolation, she gives the WoL a medal that the master had in her possession at the time to return to the Amaro, who is for better or worse incapable of putting the context clues together and simply believes his master just passed on from natural causes or something.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Abhorrence posted:

Twitter is about making up a guy then getting mad about him. This is just an extention of that.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

One of the voidsent at Zero's refuge mentioned previously being a minion of Scathach, and seemed to imply they've been gone for quite some time now

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

My retainer wears Lunar Envoy gear just fine and also brings me eggs directly from Elpis like all the time

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Their job must've really sucked because they didn't even wait a few years to make sure humanity actually had their poo poo together they checked out immediately

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the WoL is just really hung up on it because they've had a contextless echo flashback of the Praetorium hundreds of times since. Gaius doesn't even remember saying that

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

FuturePastNow posted:

Emet created the crystal with all the others because he didn't consider Azem to be a traitor / kicked off the Convocation but he couldn't tell the other Ascians that and he was secretly always hoping his friend's soul would show up someday

Emet was constantly seeing Azem pop up though right? Did he not see it in Ardbert or the other countless WoL's whose efforts he crushed?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my b I clearly worded that badly, I didn't mean to imply that all WoL were Azem, just that Azem's disposition made them likely to be a WoL (supported by the existence of Ardbert) which would probably put them consistently at odds with the eternal avatar of the apocalypse. It would be pretty funny if Ardbert and his companions were all just one soul really vibing with itself lol

but yeah I didn't realize our WoL was the first Azem Emet encountered. I keep forgetting how disjointed and removed from one another the various unsundered and their machinations were. I prob need to NG+

Lord_Magmar posted:

The only one that is potentially suggested/implied to be a prior incarnation of the Sources shard of Azem is Tenzen. Which is not even definite, just a possibility.
Edit: Golbez (Durante) and Zero are also Warriors of Light I think??? Original Golbez too, but they're an example of "implied Azem Shard".

that's funny you mention this, when I got to ShB the thought occurred to me that Tenzen could potentially be a shard of Azem, so I brought it up to my FC at the time and it... did not go over well. Apparently this has been a contentious lore issue? ("Tenzen bound Koryu with his soul so he never reincarnated!!") As a new player encountering things in the story for the first time it really feels like you're stepping in poo poo when you bring up something that the community has been litigating for years. you kind of learn to just keep your mouth shut

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I was thinking recently Martyn is like the Ryan Lochte of magic. If the dude was born at literally any other time he would rightly be considered the greatest, most versatile swimmer who ever lived, and he would prob have been given much more leeway to be his bumbling himbo self. Instead, his moment happened to coincide exactly with Michael loving Phelps', so this absolute titan will prob just be remembered as a complete joke if he's remembered at all.

I am however still unclear whether Martyn ever drunkenly cast peat pelt in a Turali ceruleam station bathroom

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I started over at level 20 with a new character because I accidentally made Thancred in the character creator the first time around and that's around the time I realized this guy was prob gonna be sticking around

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

looking forward to applying my permanent re-raiser/auto-potion/auto-ether/bravery buffs in the new forays

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

My favorite is when the PL is a huge control freak and checks every party member for the correct essences/actions beforehand and will ragequit if the queue pops early (meaning someone not in the original party was hard-queueing for DR and will be joining us in the instance) because the presence of an additional person will gently caress up the echo and make the run take slightly longer.

not an extra 10 min queue longer, mind you lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

can you even design a zone so that it's accessible for people starting out, but still fun to play once everyone has permanently 'unlocked' re-raiser, excellence, blood rage, etc? instead of having those actions be scarce in some way and thus actually consequential when you use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

hopeandjoy posted:

Amon: [telling Thordan I that dragon eyes are nutritious AND delicious]
Emet-Selch: Ah, he is trying to create circumstances for a calamity. Fandaniel ever was focused on bringing salvation to the star.

Emet-Selch to other raised convocation members: "The Fandaniel is too humble to say he is the Fandaniel. All the more reason to know that he is! As Written!"