Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WrightOfWay posted:

You can kill their body easily enough but they can just swap bodies unless you blast them with a shitload of aether. Remember that Nabriales and Igeyorhm were sundered and killing them required Moenbryda's sacrifice and Niddhog's eye respectively.
I will simply choose to acquire additional rare artifacts and dear friends to discharge in order to destroy all of my enemies in a comprehensive and decisive manner from day 1. Easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HenryEx posted:

Sacrificing a lot of your friends to achieve your goal of defending your home and world. Where have i heard that one before :thunk:
This is different, because I am focusing on the people who I know to be objectively bad!

On the topic of the Ascians I thought they needed one of the big guys to raise up new Ascians from shards, but it wasn't clear if the current guys can just bodyswap indefinitely or hop through the void. Like I got the impression they were weaker but it was absolutely not clear if this was due to having less aether storage, having less experience in using their magicks, or actually fundamentally lacking powers that E-S and Lahabrea did.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The thing is that you have to take into account G'raha Tia, who knows he can't beat us, and isn't going to even try. So that's already increasing your chances up from one-sixteenth of a primal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zomborgon posted:

Is INVISIBLE HAND a tankbuster
New crafter raid: You must use Synthesis against the Antithesis that Rowena produces. If you can make enough Synthesis, you can use the special role action to create a unit of Communism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cleretic posted:

That's true, and now that I think about it most of the ones that avoided dying mad are the ones that avoided dying in the first place--Gaius and Yotsuyu (the first time) both come to mind. And I... actually forget how Nidhogg died exactly, but given he was angry for approximately a thousand years he probably died angry too.
I'm pretty sure Nidhogg died from pissing me off

e: He was pretty loving mad about it, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, Hydaelyn is actually much more interesting as essentially a 'Primal of Benevolence'. Making her evil is just... guys, we're gonna be fighting a purple rock at the end of this next expansion, do you REALLY think fighting a blue rock as well because it's been declared evil is going to be more interesting?

Making her good, but still a primal, opens us up for way more interesting angles. One of the best things about FFXIV's story to me is that once the fireworks are over, it makes a point of asking 'now what' and grappling with those questions, and Hydaelyn after Zodiark is a fantastic 'now what' question. After all, we've never seen a primal win and achieve its goals; I'm much more interested in what happens when THAT happens than I am in 'oooooh but what if she TEMPERED US and was BAAAAD'.
US servers get a special side-branch to the MSQ: We fight Kreia, who has tempered the player. :v:

I suspect Hydaelyn will probably sacrifice herself in a call back to the Ultima Weapon fight to protect or empower us in the final conflict, though there may be preliminary telegraphy on the topic with her fading etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Midgarsormr is some kind of alien reptile god, Seto is an old flying camel, cut the dude a break.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

the_steve posted:

Hell, wouldn't the Ascians be the only ones who DO understand how it works?
Granted that's assuming they were the ones who made it and it wasn't something the Allagans salvaged when Middy and Omega crashed onto the planet.
There was, ah, a previous "impact from the skies" incident before the Midgardsormr/Omega Power Hour.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I'm starting to wonder what the crossover is between the people that go 'Gaius fascist, end of story, let's go home' and the people who do much the same with Emet.

Because the former seems way more common than the latter, which doesn't seem quite right to me.
Leaving aside any selection effect, Gaius is presented much more specifically and strongly as a military leader, to the point where we did not see his face, ever, until the end of Stormblood. We also saw his whole shtick like ten thousand times in Prae runs, and that entire shtick is basically:

"join me, warrior of light, and become my bass lass/koi boi"

Emet's perspective is at least different and isn't beaten to death, and he also has humor and a more nuanced characterization.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Lmao at the implication that people didn't immediately start thirsting for Gaius once he was shown helmetless.
Yeah, if it wasn't Gaius, I'd be like "Finally! A hot guy who isn't at least kind of a twink. And they did it with no facial hair, either." But until 4.3 he was basically Cybergoth Grahf

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm honestly fine with Gaius not dying because he's already being punished fittingly enough: seeing his ideals of "the strong rule over the weak" being the direct reason the kids he apparently cares about keep killing themselves and the Empire he so gloriously idealized burning to the ground because of the maximum of that ideal (Zenos).

The only thing missing to top it off is telling him the Emperor he so loyally served and did all those atrocities for was not only an Ascian, but the head honcho who gave literally no shits about any of them. Because I think he knows Garlemand was founded but Ascians but not that Solus was one, right?
I think he was mostly serving Varis wasn't he? I'm not sure when Solus totally 4 realzies died (we mean it). Wasn't that why we weren't having to deal with multiple Garlean legions in ARR?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suppose in so far as there would be prisons at all, they would either be for making amends and rehabilitation, or for the isolation of the very few who just cannot stop criming. In neither case would the interior purpose of the prison be "being unpleasant, dangerous or abusive as part of the term of sentence."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

multijoe posted:

This is fair. It still feels kinda rushed but honestly it's such a verbrose game already I guess I can't fault them for Merl not giving you an entire spiele about realpolitik alliances on top of everything else already going on in 5.4
Back in 2.x Shtola called Merlwyb out on a policy of "I'll let the Scions clean up the horrible desperation weapons of the people I'm expropriating" and if I recall Merlwyb's answer was pretty much, "Yeah, and my job is to further the interests of Limsa Lominsa."

Which is at least distinct from "Yes, muahahahahaha, you're just my little cleanup crew who will pick up the pieces as I take my joy in robbing kobolds!" or "THE WEAK MUST EVER SERVE THE STRONG OR NEEDS MUST PERISH IN OBSCURITY"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jetrauben posted:

If you put Emet-Selch in any of the crossover FF games, he would almost certainly be a member of the forces of Light, in terms of his own beliefs. Not Chaos.

This does not mean Emet is not an evil architect of despair and suffering. It means he sees these as necessary evils, possibly intensified by his warped reasoning due to Tempering and trauma. If it was simply a matter of free choice, he would probably prefer a solution which required no sacrifice at all, but it's not.

Gaius also means "well," in the sense that he wants a world united and prosperous. He has paternal and constructive instincts. But his ideological toolset was, until recently, wholly composed of semi-fascist (I don't think Garlemald explicitly embraces genocide among the rank and file enough to be a perfect match) and imperialist ideals about how the world works.

And Varis, of course, is a true fascist believer for whom annihilation of the Other is a virtue in itself.
I don't know of a bunch of technical definitions, but in terms of what I understand, Garlemald is not "fascist" in the sense that Nazi Germany or Mussolini's Italy were; they are not trying to reclaim greatness, and their ideology does not celebrate struggle and death in its own right. Their conception of the national polity is also fairly expansive, although there is clear evidence of Garlean elitism among their leadership. They are certainly imperialist which is enough for everything they did.

However in terms of their representation and imagery and everything, yeah they click those buttons pretty hard. But that's ultimately an aesthetic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mister Olympus posted:

if the automata consider humans as what we, the players, understand to be humans, anything but a hyur also would not necessarily register as such to them either. everyone else they meet is potato scale. end even then, who knows? hyur might have an extra spleen that they pick up on their scanner and go "oh not a human"
The hot interdimensional robots fear and despise me due to my extremely high item level and tail.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Given that Gaius was doing that for a few years he probably never ran into the same Ascian twice. The souls would have to reincarnate and grow up, right? So Iwannabetheguyiel would be 4 years old right now (and would also probably never be awakened as of Shadowbringers).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm honestly starting to think that the Ascians had no idea what the gently caress they were actually doing with the Rejoining. Not in a "bad writing" way, in a "they just kind of had to hope it would work even though it really obviously wasn't going to work" way.
Ultimately it was three guys, one of whom was incredibly naive, one of whom was incredibly sad, and the last of whom was Lahabrea. Emet-Selch was clearly the dominant figure in this group based on what we know now, although Lahabrea may have had some chops that we just did not see because he was mostly being Riku from Kingdom Hearts before we killed his rear end.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Also, minor correction: give credit where it's due, we didn't kill Lahabrea, Thordan did. And it continues to be in the top five MSQ moments.
We killed Thordan like twenty minutes later so by the transitive property,

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gearhead posted:

And then the Sundered go along with it because the Unsundered shovel a bunch of lost memories back into people's heads, restoring some measure of their past that they may have lost. Sure, they may not be Tempered, but they have the memories of someone who was and a bunch of other people telling them that this is how they can fix things and make everyone whole again. I wonder if Fandaniel had been looking for some sort of way out before he was ever inducted into the group, and all of this is .. who knows how many centuries .. of resentment having released all at once.
I imagine being reawakened as an Ascian is also loving incredible, as statistically you are some form of peasant, artisan, petty clerk, or standard-issue serf or thrall, and here comes some sassy dude and BANG: You remember ancient history. You have incredible power. You even know for a drat fact that you can't "really" die (white auracite notwithstanding). It would be incredible! Probably the only comparable role would be becoming an adventurer, and you wouldn't get the same feeling of being "special," although it would not shock me if there were a number of potential Ascian souls amongst the adventuring classes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

yea pretty much, the whole point of his constant 'testing' was just him going 'if I'm wrong and you split off versions of my people are just as noble and valid as we were in the first place you have to loving kill me for the horrors I've done'. He was fighting to win and didn't think there were many who could prove him wrong but he did absolutely seem to genuinely believe if anyone could it'd be the WoL
What's extra interesting is, in a sense, he did beat us.

But he didn't beat Ardbert (who is also us). It is just that it is Ardbert who says those lines. Ardbert was willing to sacrifice himself, just as the ancient Ascians were.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Reasonably speaking it will probably draw from both Lavos and Jenova conceptually, but I would not be shocked if it's just insanely alien and the antagonistic role was not intentional on whatever it is's part, and that instead it was a Monsters from the Id kind of situation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eimi posted:

They could go a more cosmic horror route, where it's something from beyond and it's unintentional and uncaring for what it does. I don't think that would be the greatest follow up after Zenos is basically being written as a force of nature, but it's an option.
I will completely forgive all this pretty boy sword-husband posing with Zenos if he just erupts into tentacles as the JENOVA-SOKEN mix begins playing.

Cleretic posted:

I mean, that's a close second behind 'nothing' to me. If we need to have an alien force as our next villain, let's make it Lovecraftian. It's new territory for the game.
We've had one friendly alien race and one persuadable. We're due

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

“[X] is actually a critique of [players/viewers]” has never been a take I find very interesting, in part because it seems less about analyzing a narrative and more about having an axe to grind with a particular subset of fan thats Liking Things Wrong
Yeah like, it's got a certain loose resonance because the player seems to seek out difficult fights (if not necessarily for the thrill, but we're surely not inventing standoff artillery to blast primals from beyond temperin' range) and so too does Zenos! But beyond that it seems to break down. Perhaps Zenos will inform us he has never watched a single cutscene.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hogama posted:

Zenos will get another unavoidable victory over the WoL in the 90 trial, and then because he feels the apocalypse is interrupting his fun, you finish the game in a roleplaying duty as Zenos and single-handedly end Hydaelyn and Zodiark yourself, becoming the will of the planet in the process.

The WoL gets to choose from dialogue options "Thank you for doing what I couldn't." and "Zenos was the coolest guy."
In the credits, he marries Y'shtola.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

erenoyo posted:

I'm fairly certain Hydaelyn sundering the world was an unintentional side effect of her attack on Zodiark. Like IIRC in Shadowbringers it's stated that she struck with such force against him that it broke the world.
The presentation seems to be pretty clearly meant as 'all of this is a side effect of preventing Zodiark's buddies from just slaughtering all the newly-arisen life as part of their quest to just put things back to where they were,' and given that the go-to methodology for Zodiark's buddies seems to be "let's slaughter a cartload of stuff and have Daddy do it," one might reasonably infer that if THAT restoration wasn't absolutely perfect, right down to satisfying the emotional needs of the council, guess how they'd address it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jetrauben posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only way the game's sympathy for the Amaurotine faction makes sense is if they were referring to the engendered non-sapient life rather than sapients. The game's emotional signals don't make any sense if you view the Amaurotines as willing to annihilate everyone that isn't themselves in the Ancient world, and Venat and co explicitly understand and feel no actual hatred for the Convocation faction of the sort that would be expected if it was that degree of pressing moral sin. They just don't trust Zodiark's influence and think there needed to be a counterbalance.

Hell the likely intent was for the engendered life not to have souls, and their having them being a total accident; that seems the entire point of the vignette in Hades' story where he has to mercy-kill a maddened phoenix that accidentally got a true soul.
I figured the sympathy for the "Amaurotine" civilization is that they didn't cause this problem, they were responding to a disaster the best way they knew how, and as far as they could tell that disaster wasn't just going to kill some folks, it was going to destroy their entire planet. So they summoned Zodiark. If I recall they had to do this a couple of times, sacrificing much of their own team each time. At this point that civilization had been sacrificed even if there were some immortal wizard survivors.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jetrauben posted:

I guess that's the point of contention here - how much one believes Emet-Selch's bitterness and trauma has reshaped his personality vs believing he was basically always a cryptofascist in disguise. I just don't really think the emotional language works if we don't accept the game's premise that Hades was, at his core, a basically good man prior to all this poo poo going down.

I mean even when he didn't have to, Hades (in his various guises) not only sponsored imperialist murder-empires but also empires of remarkable prosperity and creative freedom. Allag was both a monstrous expansionist hell-empire built on an escalating cycle of moral crimes and a prosperous and decadent height of human prosperity, it contains multitudes.
Allag's role here is actually pretty nuanced if you look at it, and in a sense Allag is what eventually beat Emet-Selch. Both emotionally speaking - I don't recall if it's said explicitly but it would be the logical point where he decided to give the sundered folks a good full trial and was disappointed at the results - and because, well, if it wasn't for all this Allagan garbage laying around we would have never gotten the chance to kill him, or at least, not in this particular way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

The WoL's super power is that they care the most about their friends :colbert:

And while I disagree with Cleretic and think that the WoL is definitely implied to be constantly getting stronger and stronger in-universe, I agree with her that we aren't superhuman. Literally nothing the player character is capable of is unique - other characters can see through time and space using the Echo, other characters can speak with Hydaelyn, other characters have killed Ascians, other characters can resist tempering, even changing jobs is something other characters do in-universe. I would hate if they go down the "actually Azem's aether makes you inherently superior to everyone else" route, but I'm not really worried that they'd be that lazy.
I think we're getting stronger but it's not like Dragonball stronger. It's like "we had another amazing adventure" stronger. Like if we run into someone on the Moon who pulls out their big reveal that they have the ancient art of Gu-Ku-Matsu and produces a dragon buddy we can immediately grin because we know this move.

The writers not being lazy is why I do not think we will get the long-sought opportunity to kill the nice lady-voice-having intro character. I don't think they are going to have Hydaelyn be the final boss, just in the sense of "and then, the supportive character was evil! Quick, fight her! No reason except implicit maltheism!" I would not be shocked if the reveal in 5.55 is that someone else (fannypack) killed* Hydaelyn and we actually have to re-summon her out of the Lifestream to smash out Zenos Super Zodiark Jin or whatever.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 23, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

yea Ran'jit's thing was a real low point of a fantastic expansion. He was a really just...weak character, both story and power wise, dude never did anything interesting or expanded on the breadcrumbs and even in canon his attacks were more 'okay WoL stand between Rayne and him because he can totally take her but you just will shove him back like a toddler trying to run at you'.
I thought he was... okay but they didn't HAVE to do that trick. Like if I recall, we fight him once and he wins by pulling a super move out and then being stalled by our cat husband; he fights Thancred and Thancred barely squeaks it out at the cost of blowing like every death flag he has; then we fight him again and it's a reasonably challenging solo duty.

He would have had greater sale if he had clearly been labelled "WARRIOR OF LIGHT" or something, but I understand they probably didn't want to do that, for the reasons that only became apparent later.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

Here's what I think about Hydaelyn: She was summoned with one purpose - check Zodiark. That's basically been the state of things ever since the Sundering, with Her just pulling strings to gently caress with the Ascians that are trying to bring Him back. Zenos successfully bringing about a total manifestation of Zodiark might trigger Her reawakening, and She only knows how to do one thing.
I do totally support her stomping on Zenos until he goes champagne-cork-pop.wav in the ultimate manifestation of the FFXIV steppies theme.

That said she does seem to have a woobie-bear personality outside of stomping Zodiark, but this is consistent with Ramuh, Alexander, Ravana, etc. Primals may get summoned for a singular purpose but they all seem to be, at least sort of, people.

Except Bismarck, but maybe he has a rich and complex inner life that only the Vanu Vanu can comprehend.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eopia posted:

Elidibus explicitly states that we're growing stronger after every fight and it's to a monstrous level. Also, except for a couple exceptions (Hades and Elidibus trials, trust dungeons) we canonically solo everything.

Hell, in this latest patch it's mentioned that the weak point in plan 'send in the WoL to fight an army' isn't that we're not capable of it, but that eventually we'd get tired and overwhelmed through sheer numbers
I think the distinction is that we are not able to casually do Dragon Ball Z poo poo and probably never will be, even if we are in the top ten strongest people in the world and it will probably be more like top six after the end of Endwalker.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

His asskicking ability was, I thought, an important element indirectly -- part of why he was completely OK with them jugging up Ryne and all was because he had been seeing a series of young Minfiliae using their oracular powers to help and protect people and, inevitably, being killed by the sin eaters one way or another. And he had seen it all because he was the general of Eulmore's army, and until about 20 years prior Eulmore were actually fighting to protect Norvrandt.

However, he could have just been a, you know, general general, like Aymeric.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ironslave posted:

Also I'm not sure where the idea that Zenos hadn't subjected himself to the Resonance beforehand comes from. He had crazy scientist guy working for him specifically because of crazy scientist guy's research. There's no point in the story where he clearly gets it, the implication is that he already had it because he's a bored fightman that wants to fight harder despite it playing against his desire to be challenged and crazy scientist guy enabled that.
Zenos was certainly funding the guy's research, but in terms of the way it is revealed, having Zenos get it after Fordola tries it out makes more sense than "and before any of these events, or just kind of randomly and before Fordola, Zenos got the Resonance."

Like the sequence of events is, Zenos fights us -> The Empire captures Krile -> They put Krile in the Device -> Zenos assigns Fordola to try out the Device -> Fordola becomes a Resonant -> We fight Zenos again -> Zenos reveals he is a resonant. There is also a period of at least a month, perhaps more like three, where we are over in Doma doing the thing, whereupon one might imagine Zenos went "You know what, this guy has moves, and I want to steal their moves."

So you can either have "Zenos was challenged by us and made use of an experimental technology, after sensibly testing it on a subordinate to make sure he had good odds on surviving," or "Zenos used the experimental technology well before it came online and was just sandbagging completely until he decided to merge with the dragon."

I am no fan of Zenos but the first one makes him a better character and grounds the narrative more. It means that even if we only see a few parts of the timeline, Zenos was in fact genuinely challenged by us instead of just sitting there going "buhhhh my power level's too big." It means there was an element of pursuit; and it also makes him come off as both strategic and more evil if he made the considered choice to use Fordola as a guinea pig.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gearhead posted:

The other possibility is that one of the reasons Zenos IS so jaded is because this was something done to him previously and nothing is a challenge for him anymore.

Zenos was already drawing power from his blades when you first fight him, which is before Fordala gets her own Resonant powers. By all rights, none of the mystical abilities he demonstrates during that fight make any sense for a Garlean to be using, and they do not have the distinctive Ceruleum design language demonstrated by Regula and Gaius.

Zenos is different from the very start.

It's quite possible that he did not actually try pushing himself until the Warrior of Light started actually upping their game.
I figured he'd just found magic swords. Like those are around and can presumably be made even without magitek: Tizona appears to be magical in and of itself. Zenos, due to his massive advantage as the crown prince of Garlemald, could collect the loving things, while even Raubahn - himself influential and immensely wealthy - had exactly one, which was considered a momentous occasion when he gave it to his adopted son.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Zenos can't have 'always' had the Resonance, because Krile was a crucial part of the process, they need someone with the Echo to do it (remember this comes back in Bozja). And if they'd already figured out the Resonance process beforehand and were confident enough to use it on the emperor's son, then why would they go through the trouble to kidnap an Echo-user to 'test' it on Fordola? Just for fun?

Scientist Man whose name I never remember was already a biotech guy, he's responsible for the Hypertuned supersoldiers. He wasn't there only for the Resonance project
It's more between "did Zenos get the Resonant treatment at some point in the past/before he shows up for the first time" vs. "did Zenos get the Resonant treatment after Fordola did." I don't remember the exact dialogue of the scenes but the story seems to point towards #2, and #1 doesn't seem like it adds anything and in fact somewhat detracts from other things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Groggy nard posted:

I think Zenos was on some kind of supersoldier enhancement stuff even before he gained Resonance. He just thought the Echo was neat and wanted to add it to his list.
He was definitely on the juice big time, but I don't think he would have survived getting killed - hell, he didn't seem to believe he'd survive getting killed or he wouldn't have bothered to try to cut his own head off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if Yugiri would have had more story presence post-SB if it weren't for real-life tragedy...
Yugiri was pretty explicitly "Hien's right-hand ninja lady" and now that Hien is alive and back in his palace, I expect we will only have her show up as a guest star. That doesn't mean she might not be a Trust of course, especially since she would fit neatly into the ecological niche Ryne does, but I suspect she won't be a major story figure going forwards.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

wizardofloneliness posted:

Her hair is the main reason why I remember her. This is probably the case for at least 50% of players. Yeah, she wasn't in the story for very long, but she looked cool as hell, and who can blame players for wanting more cool female characters? I'm not exactly sad she died because I think it served the narrative well enough and she wasn't around very long anyway. I don't think killing off characters is inherently any more cheap or lazy than having them stick around forever, so I wasn't really that bothered, but she clearly made a big impression on a lot of people even with such limited screen time.

SE should really introduce another cool femroe that we can hang out with.
I think there are a couple of reasons here. One is that yes she was a female roegadyn and this is extremely appealing to many posters here, to a degree that is honestly sometimes kind of weird. This element is not universal, I figure.

Another is that as you say, she was introduced and then almost immediately removed. At the time this was probably less glaring, because the character would have existed for three to four months and then gotten waxed. However, most of us are coming through ARR as later joining players, and so we are usually more or less bee-lining the MSQ. Which means that we meet the character, often on the main line of actual story we are doing, and then poof! There she goes.

I had similar thoughts that Ysayle must have had a much greater impact on the playerbase when critically acclaimed expansion Heavensward was new, because if you were coming into that after having played the last couple of patches for ARR and likely running Shiva's fight a bunch of times, it would have been mind-expanding. You were FARMING this fight and now she's WITH you? I don't know if these were specifically planned effects by the developers, but it is an interesting way where the narrative might hit differently at different times, even if it is completely the same.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

Moenbryda being a femroe is part of why people liked her but especially now, with Estinien joining, the Scions are like 50% elf by volume and the remainder is cat person with trace hyur and potato flakes. I understand that since the Scions are Eorzean it doesn't exactly make a ton of sense for the expansion races to be represented, but the only roes are the background boulder bros and there isn't really any in-universe justification for it, especially since Sharlayan definitely had a roegadyn population.
Yeah this part I can get on board with. What stood out to me in Shadowbringers was that my character had like black hair, right? Maybe it was 'super dark purple,' I forget. But whenever I would be standing with the other scions, it'd be me, Young Elly van Houten, and a buncha jerks with granny hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Zenos is gonna follow the trail blazed by his great grandfather and just use a gun.
Maybe next he can gain a personality trait