Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Haurchefant has one really great character moment and whole bunch of small ones, but he suffers from being a character who is actually really important from his first appearance, but he isn't presented that way. His importance as a character sneaks up on you. This means that if you aren't paying attention a lot of the good he does goes unnoticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bruceski posted:

After dealing with all the underhanded scheming getting to that point I read his involvement as being an opportunist. Particularly after you get into the city and the Houses are bitter rivals and the Elf Pope is fawning over you and then being evil puppetmaster as soon as you leave the room but the camera remains. I had a very cynical lens about what I was being allowed to see until... probably when we started on the trek to Hraesvalgr. And by that point Haurchefant's done until his big finish.

Yeah that's the other part of it, Haurchefant should have been part of the expedition to Dravania, and not having him there means he gets sidelined for way too long.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

multijoe posted:

I have a bad feeling it's going to turn out all along that Daddy Levillieur was only being an rear end in a top hat to protect Alphinaud and Alisaie from some terrible secret or to spurn them on to achieve something he could not and they'll reconcile as he sacrifices himself for them and it's going to suck

He's gonna die, and it's gonna feel sweet, but at the last second we'll get an echo that tells us that he was actually protecting them all along.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I do have to wonder what happened when Fourchenault got home, and mommy Leveilleur is all "How are the kids?"

"You did WHAT?"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Her name is supposedly Ameliance, according to Final Fantasy wiki. I suppose some background story mentioned it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Are grown up models for Alisaie and Alphinaud a thing the devs have said they're working on, or is this just wishful thinking?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rand Brittain posted:

People kind of wish the twins would grow up because it's a little ridiculous that they haven't and are still treated as children even after everything they've accomplished, and also because if they aren't at least eighteen and probably more than that by now the game's timeline makes no sense at all.

But yeah, I'm starting to get the impression that they don't plan on doing this ever.

They did a one year time skip so they're 17 now. Anime rules.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think Alphinaud and Alisaie are here to stay (assuming they survive). But for the rest I think we'll be looking at a FF X-2 situation where you get to see what all your buddies are up to, but they aren't a critical part of your journey.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FAUXTON posted:

so is the ascian corpse-puppet thing just zodiark's knockoff version of the echo

It's a possession because Sundered Ascians require crystals of Darkness to take bodies. The process of awakening a Sundered Ascian is sort of Zodiark's version of the Echo though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Echo predates Zodiark. It was an ability of the ancients.

No, the Echo is the ability of the Sundered to remember the powers of creation that the ancients had. It is explicitly a post sundering phenomenon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

In the other languages, it's called more along the lines of the Power to Transcend the Soul.

Lahabrea, unsundered, has the echo. It's not just a sundered phenomenon.

No. Lahabrea, unsundered, has the original soul/creation powers that the echo gives to sundered people. The echo just awakens the soul to the reality that those powers exist.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

He literally says let's show them the true power of the echo.

And nothing we've seen in game about the echo has anything to do with creation magics. It's all been examples of transcending one's normal boundaries - seeing into someone's memories, seeing someone's aether, seeing through time, understanding languages.

You mean that time he fused with a sundered Ascian? But in any case he is using a metaphor you will understand, rather than explain the whole reality of the sundered and unsundered. Which the WOL has no real knowledge of at that point.

All those things you mention are manifestations of other powers that the ancients had. Hydaelyn specifically does not share the creation magics because they are harmful to sundered worlds (and probably unsundered ones as well).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I have never seen anyone defend Nabriales. How do you defend the stupidest Ascian?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Emet-Selch cannot be Amon, because he didn't know that the Crystal Tower can reach between worlds. He also cannot be clone Xande for the same reason. He could be the original Xande.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I don't recall the Blessing of Light actually doing anything beyond letting Hydaelyn talk to you. Early in ShB the Scions theorized that it allowed the WoL to withstand more Light aether without turning, but the ending seems to imply that had more to do with the fact that the WoL came from the Source and was 8 times rejoined, and thus had a higher tolerance than the 1/14th people of Norvrandt.

It severed the primals from Ultima weapon and allowed us to survive the Ultima attack. It also seems to block out lesser Ascians from directly attacking us/people close to us.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't forget the quip about "I don't trust you, but I trust Ga Bu, and he trusts you".

It's something that's been built over time with herculean effort.

On that note, the way they resolved Alisaie's story regarding tempering was so loving good. They put her through the wringer so bad, and them for her to come out of that and not only save Ga Bu, but heal all the tempered and bring about an alliance with the all the peoples of Eorzea...

Alisaie's stubbornness and faith paid off in a big way.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm glad we're no longer counting Y'shtola "deaths" anymore.

Those were in even numbered expansions though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

ShB was the third expac and she did the thing there

Hey, do we count ARR as an expansion or not?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think it's more likely that traveling to Hydaelyn through space simply takes you to the Source. The other shards are reflections. They exist and have their own presence, occupying the same physical space as the source, but separated by a barrier (the space in between the aetherial sea and the shards where the Ascians go is the most likely candidate). The weird part would be what would happen if you went into space from one of the shards, then came back. And I'm not sure what would happen then. But it is possible you would simply return to the shard you were attuned to.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Begemot posted:

There seems to be an uneasy peace between ananta groups, but the Lakshmi cultists DID try to temper all the leaders of the Eorzea Alliance that one time.

All the leaders of Ala Mhigo actually. Which included the other Ananta.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

There's a guy who dies from falling into a pit at the end of the lancer questline although to be fair I seriously did not think he actually died from that until he turned up in PotD as a spooky ghost.

This is why you get your job crystal. This never would happen if he was a DRG.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Eimi posted:

But consider Zenos devouring Hydaelyn instead because he knows it will massively piss us off.

He wouldn't do it just to piss us off. He likes us! We are the only person he likes!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Telephoroi captured a bunch of adventurers who got the killing blow on Odin and instead of shrieking they all argue over what Odin looks like.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bruceski posted:

I misspoke. I'd have to LEVEL a healer to get to do the role quests.

Leveling a healer is like the easiest thing in the world. Do roulettes do dungeons level real fast.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I honestly don't know what I intend to level first. Sage is a contender (I like healers) along with WHM and AST. But I could theoretically get any of my casters/physical DPS to 80 before launch, they're all 71+.

So of course I am currently leveling GNB.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah, I leveled WHM, MCH, RDM, PLD, and DRG to cap just so I could do role quests easier. But I'm liking BLM and GNB better than RDM and PLD, and who the gently caress knows what SMN is going to be.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Countblanc posted:

As someone who leveled a New Job in SB before starting the new MSQ proper, I highly recommend playing your current main to cap unless you're just absolutely smitten with the idea of one of the new jobs - it sucks being behind everyone you play with in the story/dungeons, and also I usually think it just feels Right to see your WoL's main job in all the cutscenes.

Thing is, I hit 80 on my first job shortly after 5.55 hit. Realistically I don't have a main. I leveled variously as BRD/MCH/DNC and used WHM to do dungeons. I have full 520 healer gear and a mix of 495/510/520 aiming gear, but ultimately I'm not married to any of these jobs. I'll probably push a physical ranged as my 'quest' job, and a healer as my 'dungeon ' job, but I'm open to doing just about anything because I don't really have a set favorite yet.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that summoner gets to cast a grand total of one (1) ruin 3 every minute, the rest of the time being spent on trances, summons, gemstone actions, and ruin 4.

This would seem to be a good thing. 1 filler per minute is insanely good.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blockhouse posted:

Lost Enochian, gained the insta-polyglot stack button, and you have reason to put fire II/blizzard II back on your bars with high fire II/high blizzard II

You have to have Fire 2 on your bars for low level content anyway. Blizz 2 on the other hand... lol.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The WoL is just poo poo at math, and only really gets skilled once they take up summoning. Evidence: Every run of Ridorana Lighthouse ever.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Triple Triad is a fever dream of the Warrior of Light. The Triple Triad battle
Hall is the Gold Saucer's broom closet. The triple triad vendor is just humoring a clearly deranged individual handing in blank slips of paper. Every Triple Triad match is just you making card noises with your lips until the person you are begging gives in and gives you a piecce of paper.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TGLT posted:

There's really nothing there about him wanting to kill his own kinsmen though. Like he's super explicit in how angry he is with his fellow Ala Mhigans around Ul'dah for their lack of fervor but he's still committed to his cause. He'll kill everyone if that's what it takes but there's no quotation marks around liberation for him. He's Raubahn's bitter and angry reflection. It's why this line works despite what Ilberd does on his way out.

Shinryu also isn't Bahamut - it's a Doman myth. There's at least one (culinarian) quest going into some of the cultural cross pollination between Doma and Ala Mhigo. He's invoking the calamity to say he's going to summon something even worse than Bahamut because when Alphinaud talks about the limitations of primals, Ilberd is only thinking about their ability to destroy things. Bahamut got contained. He thinks he can summon something that no one can stop using the eyes and human sacrifice.

If he had actually gotten everything he wanted and Shinryu was let loose there's a pretty decent chance it would have left nothing behind sure, but that's like everyone who summons a primal. They think they get one thing and it's always another.

The nature of what you want affects what you get though. That's why Ramuh can be reasoned with. I don't know if Ilberd explicitly wants to destroy Ala Mhigo, but I think his bitterness towards all the people who will no longer rise up to save it goes so deep that in his true heart he no longer cares whether the people of Ala Mhigo are free, so long as his enemies are punished.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I bet that the bad thing about Hydaelyn is going to be that she has to drain the land of aether to do any of her fancy god stuff, like all primals. That's why she has grown so weak, she is intentionally limiting herself to avoid draining the world of aether. It's going to be that Hydaelyn was summoned to stop primals from sucking the world's aether dry, and that includes herself.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

We already know that explicitly this isn't the case

You understand that the part of all those unsundered people that Zodiark needed was the Aether, right? When I say Hydaelyn was summoned to stop any primal from draining all the aether from the world, I am talking about a time when Zodiark was the only primal and his method of draining the land was mass (supposedly voluntary and then later involuntary) sacrifices.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

There we no involuntary sacrifices, and the only reasons Zodiark needed more aether than provided was because he was doing miraculous things like rewriting the laws of reality.

Yeah except for the part where the Convocation decided to sacrifice all the new life in order to bring their friends back. Sounds voluntary to me.

Primals by their very nature are godlike beings who drain the land of aether, and Hydaelyn and Zodiark are primals. Thos is not some Asciam trap built into primals, bit just functionally how creation magic works in an environment with too little aether to support it. Titan is only trying to drive the Lominsans off of Vylbrand, so the power he drains is fairly local because the power he needs to use is limited. He might drain Vylbrand dry, but probably isn't a big threat to Doma. But Zodiark was, as you pointed out, rewriting the laws of reality. That was a threat to the whole world, and probably was even before the Sundering. My guess is that Convocation sacrificed all those people in lieu of turning the entire rest of the star into a near lifeless husk. They gave him concentrated aether rather than kill everything but themselves.

The idea that the Ancients had a massive amount of power and that this somehow proves anything about Zodiark's power is just nonsense. The Ancients could not stop the end of days, and the resorted to summoning Zodiark specifically because he was many times more powerful than all of them put together.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The final encounter with the final Ancient being, who is the beating living heart of what until recently we thought of as Mega Satan, ends with us being saved by the previous Ancient beings and then we console the crying youth by reminding him about all his friends (The Convocation) and that he was fighting for their sake this whole time, even if he forgot and then we watch as he peacefully passes on.

The whole game frames this as a somber somewhat tragic and bittersweet moment from the dialogue to the shot framing to the score. It goes against everything the narrative actually does to then go and say "Yes we can safely say that the second noble sacrifice was actually a forced violent one and everyone in the writers team is doing the cheapest fake set up for a gotcha reveal later..."

It would be dogshit writing and I've got more faith in the writing team than that.

The second sacrifice took place after Zodiark was summoned. After many of the Ancients were tempered. The tempered CANNOT give informed consent when their god is asking for something. It is extremely likely that many who otherwise would not have sacrificed themselves did so under the influence of a primal. At some point the Ascians went from "It was a noble sacrifice that our people made," to "Let's commit mass genocide to bring back our loved ones." Where did that start? The most logical time is when they were tempered. Take into account that when Emet proudly talks about his people's sacrifice, he always says half. Why doesn't he say 3/4? Only Hythlodaeus mentions the second sacrifice, and he is very vague about it. But Hytholdaeus is just a part of Emet, really. He only tells you things Emet wouldn't because that os what he would have done. Emet is ashamed of the second sacrifice because it was a sacrifice of tempered people who could not say no.

This isn't bad writing, the summoning of Zodiark permanently changes the way the Ancients look at the world. However noble they were before, as slaves to a primal many of the Ancients no longer have free will to make those noble sacrifices with.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

thetoughestbean posted:

Where did you get this? We only have confirmation that the Council were tempered, not the Amaroutines in general

Because every primal that we have encountered (with the possible exception of Hydaelyn, but we don't know that Hydaelyn hasn't tempered people she very likely has at least tempered Venat) has tempered wide swaths of their people's society. Even Ramuh, who was as benevolent as primals come, tempered a huge proportion of the sylphs, just by existing.

There seems to be some idea that Zodiark and Hydaelyn are somehow different from other primals. But aside from the scale of their power there is no indication that they are.

Another thing, from Eden we know what happens when you release a lot of trapped or suppressed aether into an environment in quantities capable of sustaining life. Life just appears. Zodiark didn't have to do anything for the second sacrifice to give rise to new life. It just happens. There is no necessary link between between the second sacrifice, the state of the world afterwards and Zodiark's effects on the world. The fact that a massive influx of aether rejuvenated the world does not mean that Zodiark wasn't sucking it dry at the same time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blockhouse posted:

Emet-Selch talking about how half of their race willingly gave their lives to save the world and how the current people wouldn't do the same sure would be a dumb line if they were all tempered and had no free will

Again, he always says half, not 3/4. His statement does not include the second sacrifice.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Kyrosiris posted:

No, he's sacrificing every pig, every dog, every animal, everything that is not a human being to maybe bring people back.

That's the other thing that removes all the "you'd do the same thing" angle from it to me - there's not even any proof it'll work.

That's the thing, we know what happens when a primal tries to bring back the dead. It isn't pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nessus posted:

I suspect some of the parts where Elidibus "opposed Ascians" were either when he could tell their plans were poo poo, or then they were burying one angle in favor of another one. Like they clearly shifted gears twice in fairly close succession (first from the Bahamut situation to Ultima, then from the Ultima Weapon to Thordan) and I imagine a lot of the low-grade Ascians were, basically, spies.

He might also have stepped in if Ascians were going mad with power in their off hours (or, potentially, if they were low-key helping the wrong people too much).

I mean the low ranked Ascians were primarily just supposed to be causing chaos for the most part. In ARR you see Ascians trying to stir up a more general conflict between Ixal and Gridania, a zombie apocalypse in Ul'dah, and a series of mass kidnappings in Limsa. The were also presumably behind the whole situation at Haukke Manor. None of these things are supposed to cause a calamity, they're just there to give heroes something to do other than stop whatever major plan the Ascians actually care about.