Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
That track is so good :allears:

I'm not really an active kpop listener anymore and my only irl kpop friend is a boy group stan which isn't always my jam, but whenever I hear something like that fromis_9 track I remember why I love this type of pop :love: I want all the good vibes and cheeriness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

The worst is when there's a whole schedule of when individual teaser pics, mv teasers, album song list etc will be released and it stretches for like a month.

esperterra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GywDFkY3z-c
AKMU owns pls support Suhyun's solo debut b/c she owns thx

This song owns hard, I guess I'll have to stan.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

When I searched for AKMU on spotify I realized I already gave their song Dinosaur favorited since before lol, I had no idea that was them. I love the chorus of that song, it's so pretty.
I'll check out their albums/eps today. Are they big in SK?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I just read that they're siblings, that is so cute :3:

Thanks for the help! I'm a couple songs into this live album and I'm absolutely loving it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I know this isn't a j-pop thread, but I couldn't find one. I can't believe it's taken me this long to come across Perfume. I love that type of extremely processed upbeat electronic pop, but I feel like k-pop has moved on from that pretty much. I have never really gotten into j-pop the way I did with k-pop, so this feels like a gateway into a new obsession lmao

Their recent single Time Warp is really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4EwGf-lH0

vvv I love that!

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 22, 2020

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Scylo posted:

Debut vid for Stayc, according to the Soompi article " “SO BAD” is the title track of a new genre DBS that combines drum&bass and synthwave." but idk it just sounds the same as everything else to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcRV2gyEfMo

First time I've heard of them but I like this song! The drum&bass type rythm feels different and the alto parts sound cool. I hope they stick around for a while, if they keep doing songs in this style.

And I love whenever ggs do their name thing. STAYC girls, it's going downnnnn

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

The song and video is whatever, I hope they get a better follow-up single, but is that BoA at the end? :aaa:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjKbrFJoxY

Suddenly I'm really looking forward to this Kai solo ep. I wasn't expecting much because he's the main dancer and not much of a singer, but it sounds like the songs were written for his vocal register which is good and the production quality of those video snippets is insane.

Also the new BTS is good, but it made me want to download Superstar BTS again and apparently they shut that down :( r.i.p. my shiny R card decks

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 27, 2020

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I watched Keyword BoA a couple of years ago (because I like SHINee and Key is in it) and Boa came across as such a cool, smart person. Just one of those persons that would be nice to have a beer with, she had so many stories about her career.

Also she was learning some new choreo for the One Shot Two Shot mv and everyone were amazed at how she learned the moves almost instantly.

Anyway I think Boa is cool.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2020

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I really like As If It's Your Last even tho it's a kind of a weird, disjointed song. The rap section sounds like it's from a completely other song.

But it has that YG songwriting flavor to it, it might as well be a 2ne1 or Big Bang song with a few tweaks. Like, I can hear Taeyang singing the chorus in my head. Teddy Park is a good songwriter and I love some of his songs, but the way YG have relied so heavily on the same songwriter for all their big group singles for more than a decade is kind of boring.

E. I did a youtube search for "big bang without seungri" and it delivered lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjjpciFPwO0

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 15, 2020

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

That's every big fandom tho, in the past ~5 years I've heard the exact same thing said about Exo, BTS, Twice, etc

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah, I get what you're saying and I agree. If there's anything that kills my interest in kpop it's obnoxious fandom behavior. When I was more active on twitter and followed some kpop accounts I felt like people were just fighting over stupid poo poo all the time. The obsession with view counts and music show wins creates such a bad environment, it really just pits fandoms against each other.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

SM artists make up for like 75% of my kpop listening time but the concert started at 5 AM where I live so I didn't catch it. Hopefully they will let people upload the performances on youtube/twitter :(

Wendy being back is so good, it's nice seeing the Psycho choreo with a full team :3:

e. v v v thank you for the links!

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 1, 2021

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

eating only apples posted:

So good to see Wendy back!

I followed you from the PYF fan meltdowns thread to here bc it was so weird to see someone else talking about EXO around here. I didn't even know this thread existed so thanks!

Chen exclusionists are bringing goons together!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

What is the "release the snyder cut" of kpop?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Wow, lots of things to be angry about suddenly. Release the tapes :argh:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

esperterra posted:

Not to mention SHINEE'S BACK!!! next month most likely.

I want to SCREAM, this makes me so happy :holy:

The Story of Light trilogy of albums they released in 2018 was really good and it made me feel better in the aftermath of Jonghyun's passing. This was one of my favorite tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YRIdPz-x8

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Oh poo poo, what's the reason? I still think of JYPE as the "nicest" of the original big three.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I read it as Queerencia and got excited :(

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm just too old to follow the LOONA stuff since they have so many sub units and stuff that its hard to keep track and I'm already keeping track of so much other stuff. If the music is good I'll get to it eventually or someone will let me know

I don't follow them but they did an EP with one sub unit that I listen to a lot. It's hazy and dreamy pop but with this weird experimental twist to it at times. It's just 15 minutes so it's worth a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfVSy5WPGoc

e. ok the uploader chose to insert 20 seconds of BTS at the end for channel advertising, ignore that

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 12, 2021

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Pointing out that LOONA and Dreamcatcher seem to represent polar opposite concepts (and are both cults)
https://twitter.com/Plumage_V/status/1349346974592421891?s=19

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

The upcoming Yunho mv has some insane visuals, it looks like a gangster film :stare:

https://twitter.com/TVXQ/status/1350004800696377344?s=19

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

What's the one in the top right? The one that looks like a heart.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I've never listened to 2PM that much, perhaps time to start :thunk:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

That video is amazing :allears: I was half expecting Yakuza style title cards to show up in the scene between him and the clan leader and then they actually did lmao. The Oldboy hallway scene is cool, that's about the only reference I could pick up.

I think the song is fun but there's something about the drum track I really don't like, it's like it's mixed too loud? The mariachi trumpet in the bridge owns.

E. Listening to the EP now, there's at least two other songs I prefer over this as a single (Need You Right Now, Time Machine).

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 18, 2021

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Hmmm

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 21, 2023

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

How do those global auditions work, is it open door or do you send your tape in or whatever? How far into the audition process do you have to be to get to join the other trainees in SK?

There was a reddit q&a thread with a girl who trained with SM, I think she talked about it being hard to communicate with the other trainees and that it felt pretty lonely because of that :(

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Lmao the absolute disgust on her face. I know nothing bout Itzy but clearly Chaeryeong is already my favorite.

Does anyone else watch those "a helpful guide to..." videos on youtube? I should probably feel ashamed about this but it's usually the first thing I check if I want to learn basic facts about a group.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

eating only apples posted:

EXO D.O. just got discharged from the military and immediately did this? He released this song right before he enlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR043fcuV0Y

This made my depression go away for 3:53 minutes. Such a warm and cozy sound :comfyoot:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

That whole performance is so good :swoon:

The vampire huntress meets the matrix outfits are cool as heck too.

This is obnoxious and I love it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 28, 2021

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Rude... but true :hmmyes:

e. really this was my first thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7_lSP8Vc3o

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 3, 2021

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Hyped about Sunmi comeback :holy:

And yeah, it's strange that aespa don't get to sing live even when it's a ballad and filmed in a studio. I got the impression that they have good voices, especially Ningning and Winter.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Me and an army friend went to see BTS at the second date of their Wembley shows in 2019. It was a cool experience even though we had really, really bad seats. But there was a fair bit of lipsyncing in some songs which bothered me a bit? I think one of the solo performances was completely lipsynced, or the mic was just turned so low that you couldn't hear the live vocals :/

To be fair, it was mostly in songs that had a fast choreo and it was a 2 hour show, so I can see why you can't go all out on both singing and dancing.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

esperterra posted:

And all of her work with Frants is amazing.

Hello yes, an opportunity to post my favorite Sunmi performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1476zRZQY74

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

What's the best idol commercial?

Bottom Liner posted:

Chungha album is full of bangers

This

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

There’s definitely a good pop song somewhere in that Excalibur song but it’s so overproduced, there are so many ideas happening at once to mediocre effect. I kind of like the chorus.

I also like the part of the music video that’s just, gently caress medieval Europe, now we are on a desert planet with twin moons.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

New SHINee is so good

The single reminds me of EXO’s most recent singles (fast paced and focused on showing of vocal range), but the styling is very NCT. It’s an interesting direction for a post-enlistment group, and I’m happy that SM isn’t putting them into the adult contemporary box quite yet.

Whole album is bangers, not a single song I don’t like. This time the songs are obviously arranged and produced with their voices in mind whereas the last album sounded very thin at times, like the production was still adapted for one more voice to fill out the harmonies. This album feels more cohesive and they sound more balanced when singing, especially with Minho filling out the lower register. I’m glad someone bullied him into singing more. The harmonies on CODE are fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO3awomKT4c

Kind hosed me up a bit when I first heard it. Taemin sounds so much like Jonghyun in the beginning, I had to check that it wasn’t some old recording they were working with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FOpKQr4DSM

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 22, 2021

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

This also made me realize how good music streaming has been up to this point compared to TV/movies. Most of the large platforms had most of the content you'd want but going forward I'm sure the various platforms and content will get fragmented just like Netflix/Hulu/every other service did with video.

Same, this made me realize I’ve been able to use Spotify as my main source for music for the past 12 years :shepface:

Compare that to tv/movie streaming, where I have three active subscriptions on different platforms just to be able to see the movies/shows I want.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I’ve watched that edit vid of them performing for the army dudes approximately fifty times this week, this win feels so good :swoon:

I saw this from the same editor and how did I not know about this song before, it’s a bop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhfCrelNQ5k

.Z. posted:

The improv segment they did on Knowing Brothers last year two years ago was ridiculous. They were being given random bits of text, like a textbook entry about damselflies, and turning them into songs.

Starts at 4:45 if the timestamp link fails for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b-iP6WpQq4&t=285s
“I would listen to her sing the phonebook” has never been more appropriate, this rules

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

this thread is a really good read, thank you! i am an old drum and bass DJ that got bored last year and started listening to and mixing kpop as it is a huge challenge and really energetic and fun. I go back and forth but i am getting oriented and figuring out what's good. Also I know the Korean words for motorcycle and girlfriend now, so it's a learning experience on several levels.

Don’t be shy, drop the mixes :dance:

I love the Brave Girls narrative so much, is it true that they were just about to disband too? I love a wholesome kpop moment.