Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hey, a thread for me to post about k-pop crap and not feel like I'm dropping it all over people who aren't interested but are too polite to say anything!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Aespa’s is so weird. It felt like SM wanted another I got a boy moment

The big feeling I got with aespa's music is that I really, really, really wanted them to have used an actual bass. At least on their debut track. Like it isn't bad or anything, but to me it just felt like a really meaty bass sound would have just knocked that track out of the park.

edits!

Last year had some great kpop releases/debuts, and this year has definitely continued that. It has been sort of interesting to see some of the new groups debut in sort of .. different states of polish? Like I enjoyed Tri.be's tracks so far, but it feels a little like when Twice debuted: you can see that the talent and such is there, but they've still got some room to grow into it. Meanwhile you have groups like Purple Kiss who feel like they're a bit farther along that track. It is also a good time to be an international fan, a lot of companies are noticing the international market and you'll find english subtitles pushed out.

Schpyder posted:

NGL, Wings is my favorite debut since I hopped on the K-pop train, so the fact that Pixy are having a full mini-album comeback so soon has me pretty dang hyped.

https://twitter.com/official_pixy/status/1386710057937555460?s=21

I'm really liking Pixy's stuff so far. I like the songs and they're proper growers, though I think there is room for improvement there. However, the choreo and performances have just been amazing, and each member has a pretty distinct presence. They also put out a performance video for one of their b-sides the other day. If you like a smooth track with maybe a touch of funk and some suits you should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdKYiFX-lVE

I didn't trawl through the entire thread, but if anyone likes G-Idle and Yuqi in particular (A Page is a great couple songs), you may be unaware of her doing a show with 1thek called Learn Wayve. They're roughly 15-20 minutes or so, and they originally planned for 5 episodes and they did like 28, and once she is done with this season on .. Keep Running (I think thats what they're calling it? Its running man in china) and the other promotion stuff she's doing I'd image they'll do another season. They were airing them on one of the korean sites and then the next week putting them on their youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JM9emvFjsM&list=PL6NUNGdv0v-E7JuMIHRk0NL8YU-8SCZO0&index=35

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I watched every episode of that yuqi learn way show on youtube. It’s so loving good

Honestly even if you aren't super into their music, the show is just comedy gold constantly. I think there was only 1 or 2 episodes I didn't like really, but that was more the subject matter than anything else.

Also feel the need to expose people to Keembo. If you've been around a bit you probably remember Spica, two of their members (BoA and Bohyung) went on to make a duo after the group's contracts expired and all that. They've released a pretty broad section of types of songs so far, but they're definitely a couple of the strongest kpop singers. Scandalous is one of my favorite tracks from 2020.

Whatever - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll8akHNe4NY
Scandalous - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OwfwHwcmUE

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Really happy that they had this happen, and since Sistar disbanded there's been a bit of a void in terms of a consistently big summer hit group, though a lot of groups have sort of taken swings at it. I think they'll be able to claim that slot pretty easily as long as brave bros don't gently caress it up again. Still low key annoyed at him basically deciding to toss them on the back burner and farm out songs to groups that were doing well (which leads into a discussion about management styles of aiming to improve the company first or artist first, which maybe I'll expand my thoughts on at some point).

I remember when EXID had theirs happen, which was also great. Even better was they were doing a sort of self-filmed wrap up reality series for their fans and stuff at the time it happened, which was pretty amazing.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea basically everything she has done since she started solo stuff has been amazing, I'm really looking forward to it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea I'm pretty hype on the most recent sort of swarm of girl groups that debuted - stayc, tri.be, pixy, purple kiss, aespa. I figure in a year or two it'll swing around the stuff more like apink/gfriend/oh my girl, which is a little less my taste in music despite being good from a technical standpoint. But for now, I'll enjoy it and hope they all get traction.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Hrmm, I thought she had resigned already? Dunno, I'll wait for something a bit more official. If its actually the case, rbw is one of the few companies I could see actually keeping the group doing stuff with split members.

Studio choom does a really good job with performance videos. Top notch cameras, but also they do a good job showcasing the performance without too much .. extra camera junk? Like there will be some, but it usually feels like it fits well and isn't overdone.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Aespa, for me, is the weakest in that list. Which is a bit weird, but SM hasn't really known what to do with a female group for like 8 years or something now. I don't know what it is, just feels like outside of girl's generation they haven't been able to just knock a female group out of the park. They do keep trying different sorts of things at least, and its SM so its not like they flop or anything, but dunno. Especially if you compare to what they're doing with male groups the different to me feels pretty stark.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

esperterra posted:

At any rate I could see Wheein going the route Yenny did when WG disbanded-- singer first, idol a very distant second. In fact, an agency like Amoeba Culture would be a great fit for her and her vibe.

If she does leave, she should follow Lee Hi to AOMG.

esperterra posted:

Whatever your personal preference may be aside, the only girl group SM has ever really fumbled has been CSJH The Grace. f(x) and Red Velvet are (or were, in f(x)'s case) both incredibly successful groups critically and commercially. I'd consider them both counting as being knocked well out of the park. Though obviously nothing will ever reach SNSD height, at SM or really any other company tbh.

The difference in success between boy groups and girl groups is always ridiculous and vast, and SM's boy groups are especially prolific-- with TVXQ and EXO being considered the markers for when the second and third generations of kpop began-- so it's hard to ever compare the two. SNSD are a very special exception to the rule when it comes to facing off against BG success in charting and sales/etc.

I guess I was a little vague. I meant a little more about the on-going management of them. I wasn't super into them so maybe its just a perception thing, and maybe they get good exposure via things I don't really follow like acting/radio/etc, but for f(x) it felt like they started strong and then sort of just.. didn't go anywhere with them? Stuff they released was good and did well but looking at it they only put out 3 albums. Then they went on haitus until their contracts expired.

Red Velvet started off pretty shaky, and also sort of jettisoned the dual-concept thingy pretty quickly iirc? Sort of still there but not pronounced like before. Until I was looking at actual releases I didn't realize one of the members got injured. They've actually put out a pretty decent amount of stuff, though it looks like in 2017 stuff started becoming a lot more consistent with them. So I'm probably just more remembering their start and more random early release schedules. Interesting to note that they've been mostly focused around singles then packaged into EPs than full albums.

It just felt to me that they didn't know what to do with f(x), and then sort of rushed stuff for red velvet's debut (that video, c'mon) and then fumbled around looking for their footing there. I didn't realize that it looks like they had stabilized around 2017 on releases and that this last break (it'll be what, nearly 2 years when this comeback hits?) was due to an injury and not just SM scratching their heads and pushing out a new group. Again it is SM so its unlikely that they mess up actual releases, but there was a good stretch there where it felt like they had someone say "we need to release something so we have some sort of presence in this segment of the market" as opposed to trying to develop the groups.

edit:

I'm up too late, or just late enough to catch twice's release - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA2YEHn-A8Q

not bad, has a sort of 'margaritta-ville' vibe going on. casual summer party playlist sort of song, i could see people singing along with the drink list hah.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 9, 2021

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Schpyder posted:

These Zoomer GGs are something else, I tell you what. And if you go a little further back last year you can toss Weeekly in that pot as well.

I'm a little sad that Pixy seems to be getting the least traction of any of them, they're fantastically talented (seriously just check out literally any of their performances or covers), and their comeback album is one of my favorites of the year (The Moon and Greedy are in strong contention for b-side of the year IMO). I don't know if their concept just misses with a lot of people or it's being on a brand new unhyped label (unlike, say, High Up), but most of the kpop world seems to just look right past them. :smith:

The thing to remember is that the other groups have a big leg up. Aespa is with SM which is all you need to say and Purple Kiss is with RBW which also is well known at this point. Tri.be and Stayc are both being produced by really well known producers - shinsong tiger + elle (LE from EXID) and blackeye pilsung respectively. So they sort of all had a bunch of buzz without having to convince media outlets and such to talk about it.

While they haven't like immediately blown up, their numbers haven't been in the "this isn't working we need to drastically change direction" amounts. Just going from debut to comeback they've started to get a lot of little promotion spots on stuff like tongtong and mandromeda and stuff, so like Bottom Liner is saying the management company seems to be doing some work in that regards. The international response seems to be good, so hopefully even if the korea uptake is slow that'll be enough to keep them in the game, sort of like Dreamcatcher.

I agree that Pixy is my favorite group out of the set. I think their decision to do a shorter promo of the comeback and then switch to doing a b-side for a week or two works well, it makes it feel like a whole new comeback to someone who is a more casual follower/watcher of music programs. Also they have amazing choreography and stage presence. My runner up for choreo is Purple Kiss, almost entirely off of formation transitions - they all feel really natural and there is almost no "walk off to the side, to the back, and fall in".

Bottom Liner posted:

in anticipation of the Red Velvet comeback here's my favorite track/performance. Wendy going off and having the time of her life as usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YOlYictQgw

Here is something for you Red Velvet fans. And AOMG fans! Hoody has been doing a "home dining and chat" series, and the latest episode is with Joy. I haven't watched this one yet, but they've all been really nice watches. I don't really know how to describe them, but even the ones with artists whose music I'm not hugely into have been super interesting and enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4MzG4LrUg

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 9, 2021

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

New twice is a sleeper for me. Brave girls save my summer

I don't hate it, but I'm not falling over myself to give it more spins. It sounds a lot like the music for a beach level in mario sunshine or something, has a real margaritaville vibe which I think is what they were aiming for.

Schpyder posted:

"Vanilla-nilla-nilla" is firmly lodged in my brain now, help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d74cH816kFQ

I was asleep actually! Some interesting elements in their debut. Not blowing me out of my chair or anything, but it'll be interesting to see where they go from here because this doesn't feel like they're staking out their identity too much. On the other hand, I don't trust cube to actually handle a group's musical direction stuff at all (insert rant about clc here).

Centusin posted:

youha's songs are pretty good so her being involved as well is promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HpOf0YsYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdQdJ35pqY

I hadn't heard either of these before. These are both really loving good while being pretty different styles but still have an similar identity.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I heard some of you may enjoy smooth jams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Tdtw9RRyw

I'm not familiar with her work, but this is nice.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

https://twitter.com/balloon_wanted/status/1403245199917158403?s=19

:michael scott screaming no:

“Since all four of us have the same love for Mamamoo, Wheein signed an amicable extension agreement with our company until December 2023 for some activities, including the production of Mamamoo’s new album and solo concert appearances. Mamamoo's music will continue as much as the great love they sent, and we plan to provide detailed information about future activities."

Hope they can actually pull it off. Sounds like there's something in writing at least. And hopefully if it's about not wanting the stress of idol life she can find a way to balance things better for her. I think RBW have done pretty well by them so I doubt it's about wanting more on that end. Having a nonexclusive deal for solo stuff might be a good arrangement for her.

What is pretty interesting to me here is that the rest of the members did a 2-year extension? I'm not sure what if anything is more standard, but given the initial length is usually like 7 years the 2 seems short. I hope that this works out well for everyone, because while I would expect solar and moon to stick with rbw again, I could see Hwasa moving on and maybe trying to do some sort of duo with Wheein. Dunno, that's going to be a lot more nerve wrecking to me waiting for that to play out I think.

Sounds like at least 1 album and some sort of tour is agreed to at least. I'm guessing those'll be written as a sort of 'open ended' thing, where if each side wants to do more they already have all the framework stuff worked out.

Hope she goes to somewhere like AOMG or maybe like p-nation? She's an amazing singer and basically anyone would make a profit signing her, just through like OST opportunities alone.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So I guess Yugyeom from got7 signed to aomg, released his first thing with them today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSAN-2CNMVo

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

A bit of casual poking around and it looks like Sera wanted to let the last lineup get to perform together again. Though I would have liked to have her with them for it as well myself.

If you weren't aware, she's got a youtube channel that is a mix of reactions to new stuff and interviews. I know she also sometimes streams on twitch.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Her melancholy songs are always amazing for sure. The sort of triplet feel isn't something you get too often in kpop stuff so its a nice way to spice up the feel without raising the volume/range.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I have no idea what Soyeon's release will sound like, it'll be interesting. Wonder if we'll get a solo thing from Minnie as well before their next group comeback, since she's the other one who has been doing writing stuff for their b-sides.

Looking forward to the BG release, I don't think the quality of the music has ever been the issue with them.

This is from feburary but still great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d__iIt-00Gk

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I remember one of their guys being a judge on the sing off, and seemed to know his poo poo. I'm down for this though, haha.

I guess summer starts in about 3 hours? Maybe I'll stay up.

Pink Fantasy hasn't had a release that has really grabbed me yet, we'll see if this next one does or not. This pre-release dance track is pretty good, and I notice that its choreographer is MOTF (who did pixy's stuff, I'm not sure what else). I like their take on 'dark' concept dances with a lot of non-standard/non-pretty/sexy moves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCNayLruZ5I

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

https://youtu.be/e70PkoJhQYM

Such a fun summer bop!

And Jiu and Sua covered Switch to Me! That makes it two versions better than the original :v:

https://youtu.be/-89atzp9oBA

I really like the descending progression in the chorus. I'm guessing the title of the song is one of those "shorten words in a phrase to 1 syllabel each" things, but no idea what it means. In terms of a song feeling like a "summer song" its definitely the best at that this year for sure, hope it does well - those girls just look so drat happy when they got to start promoting again.

Wasn't expecting them to cover switch to me, did a great job though. Not surprised, I don't think dreamcatcher has done a cover that I haven't enjoyed, and they've done quite a few. (The sunglasses are killing me)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Centusin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LGPm58E8qA

they've done so much online media/stuff for youtube this comeback and this is so much better than all the rest of them

I mean, its showterview, are you surprised? It is one of the few media things that isn't designed around an incredibly basic Q+A (which happens a ton in media everywhere), and Jesse is incredibly good at making people feel comfortable and have fun with it.

This track from Yugyeom dropped last night too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOx3OKP3nAE

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

as a newbie with still developing particular tastes, that brave girls falls super flat for me in every aspect but the one where i loving love choruses where they have extended dance lines with like 30 people. It's still a good tune but i'll wait for more

I do love the summer bop vibes of kpop it seems like everybody puts out happy palm tree and sunshine videos this time of year, instead of winter where they're all crying blood and wearing tim burton costume department dresses (which i love tbf)

I don't listen to tons of summer bop songs in general, but it fits in pretty well. There are some references to other songs and stuff that always feels a touch cringy to me, but in this sort of situation it'd be sort of weird if they didn't? For me a summer song is never going to grab me by the neck but I think if I was making a summer party playlist this'd make its way onto it. Probably the twice track as well, though in terms of a sort of summer song I think dance the night away was a ton better than alcohol free.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

A decent list, but I know they at least missed 3ye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N0eXNqMtWc

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Lol there’s already rumors about izone coming back

Well, I wouldn't be that shocked if they did, because if you look at the post-ioi groups its sort of a wasteland. The only one doing great is chungha, and a couple of the others are still around (weki meki, somi, I don't know any others off-hand). If you're a company looking at that, taking a smaller piece that is already working seems better than rolling the dice on putting that person into something new.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Looks like Yezi has a new track coming tomorrow. Wonder if it'll be a ballad/singing focus or rap focused. The last one was more rap, so I'm sort of expecting a singing focused but we'll see! (Last release was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HbBrJf_YmA )

Alexa has a comeback scheduled for July 1st as well, looking forward to that. I think they've moved on to a slightly different concept, but I expect it to be more similar to something like Revolution ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCx_OVfVav0 ) than the ballad she did.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Brave Girls got their first win for this comeback on The Show today. They previously set a record for longest time for a girl group to get a win with Rollin' at 10 years, and now they set a record for fastest release to win for a girl group at 5 days :3:

it's still dominating charts too (and Rollin' is still top 10 on all of them)

#1 FLO
#1 Genie [=] *6th day at #1*
#1 Bugs [=] *6th day at #1*
#4 MelOn
#4 VIBE

:3:

Their whole runback thing makes me happy, because when you see them doing anything they just all are just so visibly happy.

I was digging around for something else and came across this old spica cover again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku-8ifqmCVQ

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Centusin posted:

There's a new video of Laboum performing Journey to Atlantis, they've got a new m/v of it coming out soon as well filmed in Busan with Visit Busan for a promotion. No where near as big a turnaround as Brave Girls but it's nice they've still got some popularity out of the MSG Wannabe cover of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ouFENSsw8

Laboum is one of those groups that I enjoy their stuff (tends to be well made and performed) but nothing really grabs me.

Yezi's track is a vocal focused one, I haven't checked but I think that makes a decent pattern of alternating between releases of vocal->rap->vocal focus. I think I like the song, though not as much as her other, though I swear the MV is at like 24 fps or some poo poo because it just feels weird on my eyes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbnupzcwLCY

edit: saw an actual useful comment on this video (brave girls pool party - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPxmbEl1L_s )
What does the featuring rapper do with his glasses?

I think he one hand folds them and then a few moves later slips them into that side pocket, but I'm not completely sure.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 23, 2021

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ashley Choi (from ladies code) has been doing a decent amount of radio/podcast/youtube stuff for a while. She's on a podcast with BM from Kard and Peniel from BtoB over on dive studios (who have a bunch of stuff), but this is from her radio show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nev6Id4C7VY

The amount of sibling energy between the two is hilarious to me.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Looks like Pool Party is getting a full MV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_ZMCiB2ms

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

SylvainMustach posted:

Yeah it lacks a good hook

I keep trying but it's grating

The song feels low energy despite "going hard"

Idk I was bummed following itzy and Everglow doing similar comebacks so I'm just praying this trend dies off

Non melodic otomonopea filled choruses make me feel like a toddler

I overall like the song, but I agree that the chorus is the weakest part. The style switch isn't bad, but I think it feels low energy because the tempo drops to half time and you have the big bass/edm thing come in, but the vocals basically just stay the same. Gets contrasted a bit more because the choreo adapts to the music really well, so you have some pretty hard hitting stuff there, but vocally they stick to a pretty narrow feel outside of the bridge. Having some sort of fiercer/stronger tone thing going on and having the 'la-ta-ta' thing being a more background sound would make it really good to me.

I think what makes me like the chorus less isn't the style change, but that it doesn't seem to retail the bollywood/indian influenced instrumentation during the drop. Once it comes back in the sound is a lot better.

In a different setting I don't think it'd bother me, like if you're at some sort of venue it'd work really well.

Bottom Liner posted:

Twice Japanese MV is tomorrow and what a sound

https://youtu.be/lkohHdK6VFs

From cute concept queens to versatile queens, love it.

Honestly I tend to like Twice's japanese releases a bit more, I don't know if they actually work with a different producer or not for them, but I notice that they tend to write the parts a bit more towards the member's ranges. It is the most apparent with Momo, in their korean releases they tend to make her sing higher, while in the japanese releases it is a bit lower and sounds a ton better.

Vastakaiun posted:

A whole bunch of new stuff dropping today

2PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6aVQrzja9U

I liked this track, the video feels like a JYP (the artist) title track. The sort of 'super-over-the-top on the joke' worked out really well. I'm think I might have found it even better if they'd have started off with small/minor things and built up to the apocalypse.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Trend of JP releases being really solid continues.

Speaking of JP releases, I see Shinee had one last night too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrzgeVP3BZ8

New Hoody's home dining up, with BamBam and Yugyeom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fL1e5LrgSo

bonus edits!

I've never heard of Kik5o before, and its not really pop and I'm not usually a fan of more ballad-style songs, but I actually really enjoyed listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTlzlyBWgqo

If you're like me and didn't like the framerate things with Yezi's Secreto mv, she released a performance video for it with none of that nonsense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnKaTE53Aw

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 29, 2021

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Schpyder posted:

So I was like "oh, Alexa's coming back" :geno:

And then she dropped this preview that finally popped up in my youtube recommendations, and now I'm... hyped? It's so fun and funky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eKgBCy0vo

She's got some serious chops all around, and as far as I can tell ZB seems pretty satisfied with her numbers on things and they're getting her quite a few spots on stuff. While her first three songs were all in a theme and connected, a lot of the non-title track stuff was pretty different in both sound and visual so they've left themselves a large area to go do stuff in without giving off the feel that they're chasing a trend.

In terms of stuff coming out soon, BM (kard) has his .. 3 (I think?) song ep coming out on the second. Which I mention because it looks like he's featuring in Alexa's MV there, haha.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Here you go people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-1y3uge-mo

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm used to KR releases happening about 4 hours from now so I'm late! Really liking this, it reminds me in a way of some mamamoo releases in a couple ways: mostly a "step away from the current trend" that they've pulled off several times before. Also doesn't hurt that RBW did a bunch of work on the tracks. I like that I was able to get that sort of a feel without hearing snippets where my brain goes "that part of the phrasing/transition/etc was pulled nearly exactly from another song" that has happened with a couple recent releases.

Song feels longer than 3 minutes, in a good way.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

This is the other track on the EP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBq7p_gpRfM

Similar style, the tracks connect well. A little harder with some rap sections, works well as a b-side I think.

Speculations:

The subtitle on the album art here is "Project Afore". Main title of Reviver. In the teaser she gets either dead or something else severe after some explody wave off a tower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPXcCToCsps

So this EP is basically establishing a character right before the events of the teaser, as a prequel to the next project. Lets the public get a reset on her image instead of just being cyborg sci-fi stuff directly into another thing, and in terms of cost was relatively dirt cheap to make.

Thinking maybe we'll see the follow-up be something inspired by the likes of resident evil. Some sort of biological cloning/experimenting/reanimating theme at least. Also gives a lot of room for ZB to flex their practical+cgi MV stuff.

The other option would be something with the knight version that teased at the end of Revolution, which would probably be some sort of religious tones to make fit, and I doubt they'd go for something in that sort of landmine ridden area.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

DPR Live has a prelease track out for his next ep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-ASY-JOj0
Starts a little slow but I like where it goes.

BM's 13IVI is out as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuThZtaUqKY
Definitely a lot harder than his prelease, and most of Kard's stuff. I like it decently, but I think it'd be amazing at a live show.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

This slipped past me, So Yeon was in T-ara, then was doing acting stuff, not sure if this is single, ep, or album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjrWzsPYZj0

Got some fun bass line action.

edit: I've been correctified, check the post farther down for accurate info! This Park So Yeon is off of produce 101.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 5, 2021

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I don't catch much radio stuff, but I've seen a couple of her segments on there and it's been solid.

If you're like me and up late, Soyeon's track is coming out in an hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8rHmMDTRRE

Not sure if thats the full mini or just one song.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Or.. something ROFL. She's doing a grand opening/press release style thing? The burger mascots are killing me right now.

edit: it looks like they remodeled the company cafe/bakery sort of thing into a resturaunt themed off the album and made up a menu based on the songs.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 5, 2021

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I loving lost it when the burger just walked right in front of the MC and camera. I gotta find a gif of that.

I want the MV, but this whole comedy routine of "bumbling opening of burger joint being rushed through" is *extremely* hilarious to me. Also no vegetables anywhere in the menu is a great touch.

e: I really want this to continue for another hour until the sort of "standard evening release time" hits.

e2: yea, normal release time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqzX9JAZ08U

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 5, 2021

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Only listened to Beam Beam so far myself, but it mixes light rock into kpop nicely. The burger costumes feature in the video and those things never fail to crack me up.
Also for some reason the MV doesn't have subtitles but this performance does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtwCIIuLDsQ

If you like ballad stuff you'll probably enjoy this track by loco and Lee Sung Kyoung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaBP4A3pGLE
Day6's comeback is sort of ballad-like as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2p__-LRBNc

Ballads aren't really my taste, but I enjoyed Loco's duet. He's just so drat happy to be out of the military and doing music and it really comes across (when he first was doing stuff after he got out he was introducing himself as "successfully discharged loco" or something like that). Sung Kyoung's got a good voice for the style as well.

SF9, a group I'm not familiar with also had a comeback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Je7eSXA5s

Its ok, I think my favorite section was the rap near the end. Maybe my ear was wanting more mid-low singing tones to do some contrasting, or a bit more meat to some of the vocal parts? As a contrast my mind compared it to The Rain by Ladies Code ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsx9f8tdifw ) as something with a similar low-end heavy track that I find a lot more interesting/appealing vocally.

I liked this track by BDC from last week a lot more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMSLNOgHfZk
Sort of smooth jam, with a touch of something I recognize but can't name offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

It might just be me mis-remembering, but I think this year is a bit more aggressive on the summer track wave. Which makes sense coming after the last year and a half of covid action that people would be after that sort of feel even if they can't get out themselves yet.

Lot of good releases in that time frame for sure though.