Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Aespa is performing on the main stage on the main stage at Coachella next weekend, including a new song?!

I think they’re gonna be streaming this specific part of this weekend’s 88rising set at 10pm tomorrow night on their main channel. It’s listed as a partial set which I assume means that they’ll be at the end where 2NE1 was last weekend and just not show the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

While I’m in here I know this is a very basic question but what are some of the best tracks so far in 2022? I’m looking for some more k-pop to fill out my 2022 playlist. I’ve already got TAEYEON, STAYC, Red Velvet and CL on there.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Yo, this is dope. Thanks!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the censored version abcedefu is an abomination

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

I've never heard the original lol.

https://youtu.be/PgMm47dtsQI

there are 4 lyric changes in the first chorus alone, it’s one of those songs where they had to make a radio edit once it got popular enough (and I do mean popular it hit #3 on Billboard) but they absolutely should not have. It’s not quite WAP I guess but then again what is?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

2nd (and 3rd-5th?) MV for New Jeans. It’s the intro then you pick the members version to hear the full song in a different MV. Wild stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHYWqy_X-tU

Song is great too, really strong start for them so far. 2 more songs/MVs to come.

Edit: ok the videos are all worth watching and have some good surprises

I’ve watched all of these so many times that beat has permanently lodged itself in my brain

And their next song is also dope

https://youtu.be/tVIXY14aJms

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gonna be fromis8 now

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/VOmIplFAGeg

Last song on the EP. Beat’s great, music video is really cool and choreography focused. Lyrics though… I thought they did a good job avoiding any sort of sexuality in the first three songs and videos but it turns out they were just saving it all for this track. It feels out of place at best and kinda sleazy at worst.

Gonna keep listening to the others on repeat thought, Hype Boy is still burrowed into my head.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s weird because the Hangul doesn’t translate to what they wrote for the English captions. That doesn’t make it any better but they still went out of their way to make it more sexual than the Korean lyrics.

I still don’t know a whole lot about the Korean music industry, but is it possible these songs were written not just with an eye towards breaking into the western market but also the possibility of being sung by western acts as well? I noticed for all of the songs on this EP that the translations were not just direct translations but translations that fit right into the songs so they could be sung as lyrics themselves. That would make it trivially easy to have someone else sing these same songs in English. Obviously with the success they’ve been having that doesn’t really seem necessary but it would explain why the lyrics are so different from the translations and possibly why the tone of those English lyrics is so off. Maybe they assumed that American listeners just really want innuendo in their pop music.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ZypherIM posted:

Based on people's comments I was expecting it the be quite a bit worse than it was? Like we've seen significantly more sexual lyrics out of young kpop groups before. Probably what is throwing people off more is that there is a Korean wordplay going on with making music/cds (hence all the cds in the background for no reason) that isn't that common in english (similar in a way to letting a track bake/cook longer). Agreed that you can read it in a more sexual way and could have used another pass, but I sort of wonder if that is also influenced by the more R&B styling of the track and associations we have with that music.

I think some people are blowing things out of proportion (“Lookie at my cookie” is not innuendo, it just rhymes) but also the people trying to say it’s all completely innocent are being pretty dense. That usage of “thirsty” is pretty telling.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/hyeinacez/status/1555132702122455040?s=21&t=VUQtSsBXSSSFPN27sR5JAg

edit:

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 4, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I went to four concerts in April and avoided getting it, if you mask you really do have a decent chance to not get it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

That might be some of the best rapping I’ve heard from a Korean girl group and then they waste on such a nothing of a chorus

Someone needs to surgically implant the drop from Kill This Love in here

edit: the drums on that second verse are the best part of the song just give me that please, no sitar necessary

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 19, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/C5VsSb5rLVM

Gone sounds like the early standout here, I think it’s a requirement that all songs called Gone be great

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Oh come on you missed the best part

quote:

After this issue arose, we took it upon ourselves to research different slang terms, finding there exist wildly different and unexpected meanings for everyday words like cake, biscuit and rice, strawberry, melon, and more. If someone wants to stir up controversy, then, it isn’t any specific words that’s problematic but any words they choose to target at all. Importantly, words take on entirely different informal meanings in the context of different cultures, places, and at different times in history, so judging how suitable any one word is is ambiguous at best. Considering that, it’s difficult for any song lyrics to ever be free from disputes. Rather than mention any of the readily available examples and risk offending anyone, consider this scenario provided by a native English-speaking professional translator:
“If an English song had the line, ‘Hey little puppy, eat this taffy, yum,’ and someone wanted to read it literally into Korean slang—which would basically say, ‘Hey you s**thead, go f**k yourself’—what should we do about a viewpoint like that?”

I want to see their food-to-body part slang-by-country database now, I’m sure that will serve them well in the future.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

You know I look at bigger groups some times and wonder how having 9 or even more members would ever be useful and I guess now I know a situation in which having 12 members is a positive

edit: their new song is the closing track for a Japanese series which has a name that all of a sudden feels like a bad omen

quote:

This new song was previously revealed to be the ending theme song for the MBS/TBS Japanese drama “According to the Six Survivors,” adapted from the manga of the same name. The song itself is bright and catchy; thus, the upbeat sound is especially suitable to the comedic and intense nature of the drama.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 9, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

first ep of itzy in LA reality series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3PtjnO64g

they are all pretty impressive with english and are comfortable being real and chaotic now so think this should be good

The most important television show about a foreign musical group going to LA since S Club

Their label has good taste in hotel chains, I’ve stayed in their Chicago location a whole bunch. Also love the number of times they jump into pools fully clothed, not conspicuous at all

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Owns

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

Itzy English prerelease track for an unannounced album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZy86ePgO0

Fun throwback pop anthem but still fits them pretty well. Lia absolutely ate.

Video is amazing verses are good chorus is… underwhelming I guess? The pissed/dismissed rhyme doesn’t feel right to me. The beat feels a little hollow, like they wanted a pop-rock vibe without any of the sounds that come with it.

Video is perfect Lia throwing boulders and Ryujin Hawkeye-ing some poor dude’s phone are also perfect

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/ljGNuMD63nI

Last episode of Itzy in LA is very sweet, at the beginning of the trip they all got a “secret friend” that they were supposed to take as much video/photos as possible without making it known. Then at the end they all wrote letters to their secret friend and they got to read the letters written to them and watch a montage of the clips/photos their secret friend took. It sounds incredibly contrived and it is but also they all love each other so much that I left thinking “man I should tell my friends I love them more often”

Also they get to eat tacos for the first time, which I’m kind of envious of

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cZ7o0Wn_dc

Bibi’s sister debuted in this group. Solid song, feels sorta classic and the la la la part is an ear worm.

slaps

.Z. posted:

Speaking of Bibi, have another release from her upcoming album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl2qhqFdgSg

slaps

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Did they write that chorus at 3am the night before recording

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bibi: “Watch me dance, watch me sing”

Me: “yes ma’am”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

saintonan posted:

I don't even care what the song is anymore, I'm not gonna watch that. "Hard to watch" is something I never want to associate with k-pop.

Look if you keep giving kpop girl groups laser guns in their videos one of them is eventually going to want to drown a motherfucker. Bibi just blazing trails and fools

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

.Z. posted:

Just filling in the missing Hyolyn x Bibi video.

I think it would be appropriate to say they… killed it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wholly unsurprising and doesn’t count the many many times I watched the videos too. (ELEVEN popped in at #8 also)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Top 10:
Hype Boy - NewJeans
The Weekend (MILLI remix) - Bibi
Sparkling - Chung Ha
Smiley - Yena (feat. Bibi)
Cheshire - ITZY
Eleven - IVE
INVU - TAEYEON
Generation - Acid Angel from Asia
Forever 1 - Girls Generation
Glitch - Kwon Eun Bi

Honorable Mention:
The rest of NewJeans’ EP
All of Lowlife Princess (I think the album works best as a whole)
Cheshire B-sides
Multiple Twice singles (Talk That Talk, Celebrate, Just Be Yourself)
Pop - Nayeon
Bop Bop - VIVIZ
Smartphone - Yena

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The videos rule, they very easily could have just dropped the song or made some sort of comp video of their huge ascent but they made a pair of incredibly well made works that fit the song as well as tell their own story. I like the interpretation that they represent the fan/group relationship from each side of the equation.

The song still has that magic, too, I think it stands right alongside the EP tracks, especially because it doesn’t feel like it’s too similar a vibe to any of them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

Still have Ditto on repeat.

You and the entire population of South Korea apparently

https://twitter.com/popbase/status/1605528682700763139?s=61&t=Zrj9gM5-uWz-8Lkl23D9kw

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It’s definitely reminiscent of Jersey club dancing. Cookie had that same sounds but the choreo was more traditional; the beat for this fits really well with it even if the dreamy synths make it into something kinda different.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZAgIHmHLdc

song is good, but I definitely prefer ditto. chorus is great, prechorus a little too long with the repetitive part.

i dont know what the hell is going on in this video lmao

Good stuff, I think it’s funny that it feels like it might get overshadowed by its “b-side” but “we can’t stop making great songs” is a pretty good problem to have. Also speaking of Problem this sounds like an Ariana Grande song, easily could have fit in with a version of thank u next that wasn’t about anxiety and bad coping measures.

Video is also fun, I audibly laughed at the Steve Jobs fit at the beginning, but also pales in comparison to Ditto’s videos which ruled and really set the tone for that song.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

on the new itzy tour diary they go out to eat with JYP and yeji brings up how competitive it is right now where if they have a really good song they chart well but if not then they drop hard. JYP doesnt really address what shes saying, at least how they edited it, and just compliments them saying that theyll win out because they can both dance and sing live but it was interesting that she brought it up. this song and cheshire dont really do anything for me and i'm interested to see what your itzys and aespas will do in a post-newjeans world. i think there are more aespa side-project songs than actual aespa songs now with the got the beat album

I watched that too, JYP had a very “dad realizing his girls are growing up” moment when Yuna was talking about champagne, it was v adorable. You can feel that he really believes in how talented they all are

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Shooting star is a good rear end song

Also they did a cypher where they rapped over a recent JID beat lol

https://youtu.be/-L4Visli9sA

Not just JID, that last one is Rosalia. Cipher slaps

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

.Z. posted:

Jeez, I wonder what the PAK record for OMG would have looked like if Ditto wasn't blocking it.

OMG appears to be a little less popular in Korea than Ditto, I dunno if it would have quite the dominance. I think it’s funny that Ditto blew up so much that the group was worried that OMG was gonna get overlooked completely but it seems to be doing just fine on its own. It actually appears to be more popular than the other NJ tracks with American listeners, which tracks. I keep waiting for them to make a real push in the US, I think OMG might be the track to do it with.

https://twitter.com/nj_spotify/status/1620387708383408128?s=46&t=BKRjzIBZB0EIvZVdN8OKUA

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/jP5R-DLou08

Bibi going international

teagone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lSJuCa96iQ

Twice previews sound good. Digging the title track vibes. Got the thrills prolly gonna be my favorite b-side.

Wallflower gonna slap, Tayla Parx is cool

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 3, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Twice more like Fourteen-Hundred-Eighty-Eighth…ce

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

To my ears Cupid sounds like something made to potentially cross over to US charts, that self-aware writing and general sound fit a particular vibe that’s become popular as TikTok has come into popularity

Actually it sounds better than a lot of it, I’d rather listen to this than that song about Disney lying to us

https://youtu.be/uJbooOYyBCA

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hardest commercial song since Justified-era Justin Timberlake made a McDonalds jingle

I still have just enough self respect to not put that on my playlist until someone makes a dope remix without the coke chorus

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I wish they’d bring back old Coke Zero the new formula is bad

Ah well, we’ll always have the time CZ was used in Scott Pilgrim as a character beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The nursery rhyme thing makes it make more sense but it doesn’t make that part of the song any better. It’s not like the awfulness of Twinkle Twinkle Little Bitch would be made any worse if you weren’t aware of the source material

That said I found a version that takes the chorus and replaces it with more prechorus. It’s a little hollow now but I feel like this production and the prechorus especially are gonna lend themselves to remixing.