Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Foxfire_ posted:

Thinking about it, the Transference/Winnowing test is very different if people are cooperating. Instead of jumping to "I must posses Gideon's mind!", socially-adjusted Harrow just goes and gets one of the other necromancers to push the button to open the door, walks into the Response chamber herself, and melts the construct with no trouble.

I doubt this method would work that well. She'd have maybe a couple of seconds at best to both figure out how to destroy it and to actually implement the plan before the construct was on top of her with the boneswords, and if she fails at it then she's quite possibly dead. It works with a cavalier because they can survive the construct's assault long enough for the necromancer to work it out. Somebody less able's just gonna get mulched.

I suppose you could have a necromancer activate it and then another necromancer goes in with their two cavs to play bodyguard, but I feel like Harrow, at least, would consider this to be sort of... intellectually dishonest? As in, the point is to learn how to pass the test with the resources of a necromancer and a cavalier, and brute forcing it would be cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Steely Glint posted:

Why didn't Cytherea make a more convincing attempt at animating Protesilaus, given her limitless necromantic ability?

If Prot did get caught out, he needed to be something believably within the capabilities of Dulcinea and the Seventh House, not a masterwork that immediately points to a Lyctor.