Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why do you want to be a consultant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

alternatively, are you willing to work like a fuckin dog at a MBB?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you become a consultant and you're sufficiently senior you can trade staring at a lovely excel spreadsheet for staring at a lovely deck!

The hiring profile for consultants is insecure overachievers. To be successful as a (management/strat) consultant you have to:
  • proactively work like a dog, and like it
  • play your own company's internal politics game, hard
  • be closer to your clients than your family and friends
  • play your client's internal politics game, hard
  • self aggrandize and take credit for your work
  • be comfortable with ambiguity or a lack of knowledge and cover for it

mobby_6kl posted:

This might be a "grass is greener" thing since I never worked as one before but you'll never now if you don't try it, right? At least my perception is that it could be more engaging, varied, create more opportunities for networking, and better apply my skills. So I think I'd be willing, at least for a time.

I will say that I find consulting engaging and it's a good fit for me personally. There's always something new to be learned and the content doesn't really get too stale. However, the situations and the politics and the project based processes get stale really fast. Who cares that it's Topic X instead of Topic Y, the process is going to be basically the same to come up with a solution. You're going to have similar objections and overcome them in similar ways. You have to define what engaging means to you in a more concrete way.

Networking is fine, you do have a lot of opportunities to network as a consultant, but if you don't network well now you will suck at consulting and you won't network better as a consultant. How's your networking skills?

Consultants don't really apply skills unless you want to be a rental body, which just sucks.