Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

During the quarantine, a particularly dumb political fight took place between my manager and her peer. As a result there are some cool projects I wouldn't be working on or learning the skills from any more.

also mobby_6kl posted:

we have a great team and culture.

Do you?

I think the behind the scenes question you want to ask is what the point of working is for you. You mention the work is high prestige and low stress but you also mention that it feels like you are coasting.

My dad’s feeling about work was that it was the thing he did to pay the bills that allowed him to do the things that were important to him (family, outdoors, travel, photography). I think he’d have been happy in a situation like yours. He was working to live. My feeling about work is that I want to care about what I’m doing. As a result, my career has been a lot more chaotic and my current job is very stressful, but it’s never not interesting. My work and life are more tightly integrated.

Both approaches are reasonable, (and there’s lots of spectrum between) but it can be dangerous and demoralizing to confuse the one for the other.

Do you want your work to be more engaging? Are you willing to take pay cuts or whatever do achieve that? Would you rather work be more lucrative to free you up for your life outside of work? What’s important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU