Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I do have several blunt questions so apologies in advance...

1. "I want more money for more freetime outside work" - Granted, I'm paraphrasing your statements for the sake of length, but this is what I'm hearing from you. Overall, my first thought was, 'poo poo, well who doesn't?' You're like the main character from Office Space who doesn't want to do anything. I hate to spoil it for you, but unless you are either: A. independently wealthy. B. owner of your own company. or C. are incredibly lucky/connected/have a golden parachute...the reality is that typically money and time are opposites for most of your mid-range life. You can have one or the other in most cases but not both. It very much sounds like you're more contemplating a mid-age rut more than anything else. Is that the case?

2. If it's yes to #1 - then you need to decide if a career change is needed or is the current position sufficient? Do you see yourself moving up at the same company to a higher level (if yes, then figure out what you need to do to get there) and if no then looking for roles at another company would be the next step. Part of that would be taking a hard look at your skillsets and seeing what you need to polish up on to snag something more in line with what you are looking to be doing. But based on your responses so far, I don't think you've even considered what end goal you are shooting for in the first place, so maybe start there?

3. You do realize there's a recession going on right now as well? Unless you happen to be lucky enough to be in a field that is still expanding during a recession...you might want to consider the larger financial picture going on right now. It might not be the best time to switch jobs if you are currently stable right now. Again, based on what you've said so far...it sounds very 'woe is me' as opposed to having an actual goal/plan in mind.

4. I have a friend in the tech world who does DevOps and so I hear quite a bit about the tech world...often times you don't really see any major raises unless you switch companies. If money is solely your thing, perhaps looking for a role almost the exact same as yours, but with someone who will pay more for it?

5. It sounds like you want some of the trappings of management, but I'm not really seeing anything that indicates you actually want to DO a management role. Seeing things like you want more time outside of work etc etc is typically not a management mindset...so perhaps you have some conflicting ideas going on here?

Overall, I think it would probably do you best to really consider what it is you are really looking to get out of a change and then working on a solid plan to make that happen. Getting more feedback from an internet forum probably isn't going to do you much more good until you decide that part for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU