Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay cool ty all for the help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Co-op races rule because if they have a truly unforgiving seed (like the SGDQ one) you get double the runner misery as they both spend half an hour trying to find what they need to advance

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The hl alyx run is simultaneously interesting and extremely hard to watch. The camera constantly glitching around is giving me a headache

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

site posted:

The hl alyx run is simultaneously interesting and extremely hard to watch. The camera constantly glitching around is giving me a headache

i'm surprised you were able to watch the game and weren't transfixed by the runner crawling on the floor like the rest of us

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Not only am I seeing it, I'm amazed he's doing it in his pjs

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Might as well be comfy while you do something that looks so incredibly goofy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That shmup block is intense

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The pump it up showcase is not just insane skill wise but I am impressed at the guys home setup as well

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

site posted:

The pump it up showcase is not just insane skill wise but I am impressed at the guys home setup as well

That one was real fun to be running the mixer for.

And by "fun" I mean "oh god there's so much fan noise how do I fix this without making him sound like he's screaming through a pillow".

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

UraniumAnchor posted:

And by "fun" I mean "oh god there's so much fan noise how do I fix this without making him sound like he's screaming through a pillow".

You sure did a drat fine job on the audio, then.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

When I heard the event was going to be done virtually, my first thought was "poor UraniumAnchor". Congrats on how it turned out: all the stuff I've watched has had good audio. There was one couch commentator that was clearly yelling into a $5 microphone but that isn't something the audio team can fix :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

UraniumAnchor posted:

yeah i didnt notice at all so id say whatever you did it worked :thumbsup:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think I said to someone 'i wonder if they used that weird nvidia rtx tech because i can't hear the fans at all' during the event so if it really was just you with a mixer UA you do fantastic work

I'd guess you weren't awake for the start of Secret of Mana then :V

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah you did really well with that one. I think there was a moment at the end where you (or he, or someone else) switched it to what we'd be hearing with no editing and lol yes I can see how that one was a challenge

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah you did really well with that one. I think there was a moment at the end where you (or he, or someone else) switched it to what we'd be hearing with no editing and lol yes I can see how that one was a challenge

Yeah, I did that on purpose, so if you want to see how it sounded before I started applying filters, there you go.

Edit: Though now that I watch it from here it's not as bad as I remember, but also I was wearing headphones so the audio profile is probably different than my computer speakers. :v:

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 8, 2020

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

UraniumAnchor posted:

Yeah, I did that on purpose, so if you want to see how it sounded before I started applying filters, there you go.

Edit: Though now that I watch it from here it's not as bad as I remember, but also I was wearing headphones so the audio profile is probably different than my computer speakers. :v:
I'm amazed that you can do that much with filtering from a remote feed.

I assume the setup just had a single audio stream coming in from each runner, fed by whatever lovely microphone they happened to have on hand?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a good live sound person is a magician

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm amazed that you can do that much with filtering from a remote feed.

I assume the setup just had a single audio stream coming in from each runner, fed by whatever lovely microphone they happened to have on hand?

I forget exactly what wizardry we were doing for runners since they had a split feed, one mono channel for game and one for their microphone so that we could balance them differently, but still only using up two channels on the mixer. It's a little hard to tell in this picture but if you squint you might be able to see that channels 1/2 say "RTMP Game/Mic" instead of "L/R". We had some presets to swap between since we had some races.

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/1297436587341619200

Runners/commentators/interviews always used channels 1-6, hosts were either 7 or 8. This usually allowed us to at least partially get people set up on unused channels for the next run/segment, since hitting the 'solo' buttons allowed you to listen to muted channels.

That week was a crash course in noise gates and VEQ.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

consider that during the 40+ years that Saturday Night Live has been running they've had about 6 musical acts that have been mixed well

they should hire UA

edit:

"so, UraniumArcher, what are your qualifications for this job"

*plays a clip from that PIU run, pauses a few minutes in*

"did you hear what the fan was doing during that clip?"

"what fan?"

"exactly"

"poo poo, you're hired"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

UraniumAnchor posted:

Runners/commentators/interviews always used channels 1-6, hosts were either 7 or 8. This usually allowed us to at least partially get people set up on unused channels for the next run/segment, since hitting the 'solo' buttons allowed you to listen to muted channels.

That week was a crash course in noise gates and VEQ.
Awesome, I find this stuff incredibly fascinating.

In another life I was an audio op for a local TV station. A broadcast studio is usually "best case scenario" when it comes to audio inputs though -- at most, we'd have to gate out some background noise when a remote reporter was holding their microphone in the wind.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Considering what they were doing this year I am pretty sure the GDQ sound team was involved in at least some dark sorcery.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Since every GDQ must end with a lead-in to the next:

quote:

Out of an abundance of caution for the safety of the community, Games Done Quick has made the difficult decision to move AGDQ 2021 to an entirely online format and will not feature a live venue. Similar to SGDQ 2020, we will broadcast the event from our studio, with runners participating from the safety of their homes. The broadcast dates will remain the same, with AGDQ 2021 showcasing some of the best speedrunners in the world from January 3rd-10th, 2021.

Game Submissions for AGDQ 2021 will open September 24th, 2020, and will close on October 4th, with an anticipated schedule release on November 9th. For additional dates, please see the sidebar.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Or in tweet form:

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1304589305080418304

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
With US cases on the rise again, I'm surprised all events weren't flagged as "Online-only until further notice or relocation to another region."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Andrigaar posted:

With US cases on the rise again, I'm surprised all events weren't flagged as "Online-only until further notice or relocation to another region."

it takes a certain kind of optimism to play a game the 15 thousandth time and hope to finish it a few seconds faster than the 13 thousandth time