Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GarudaPrime posted:

This is all just mostly conjecture, but based on the tease of the premise the showrunner leaked, I would guess that telling a story where black people come into power and abuse it at scale was probably unpalatable to the network.

Like that was a good subtheme season one, specifically that black people are just people and do the same things white people do given the opportunity, but to tease it all the way out to logical conclusions would have been to risky.

A real shame, but since they did it so well season one, I'd rather see it die then just be watered down or retread in season 2.

This saddens me because this is exactly the problem I had with the finale: power was very much inequitably distributed along racial lines, this time in favor of black people, and it felt like that was portrayed as a good thing. Daring to take the inevitable next step and show that this power imbalance, too, would be ruthlessly exploited for selfish reasons, because people are people regardless of color, would have been excellent.

But yeah, you either tell that story with no constraint or don’t bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, the map heavily implies that in a world where WASPs lost magic that American Caucasians get owned from coast to coast. Really curious to see what's up with New England in this world.

https://twitter.com/MishaGreen/status/1411123731653566466

Yeesh. We already have a broken US depicted in the Handmaid's Tale. If we had one on HBO as well you'd have to start asking how many networks have to show something before it becomes true.

You got trump supporters openly talking about civil war on tv these days. Having multiple TV shows running civil war scenarios for entertainment sounds like something no executive wants to be a part of. I can see why they shied away from this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is there a different Jefferson I’m forgetting? Why would New England be Jefferson Commonwealth when he was a Virginian?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is there a different Jefferson I’m forgetting? Why would New England be Jefferson Commonwealth when he was a Virginian?

They meant Jeffersons Commonwealth. That's why it's up on the east side of the map.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, the map heavily implies that in a world where WASPs lost magic that American Caucasians get owned from coast to coast. Really curious to see what's up with New England in this world.

https://twitter.com/MishaGreen/status/1411123731653566466
I mean, on the upside, it looks like they're already very close to a having a ready-to-film pitch for an adaptation of East of West.