Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I must have missed something...how did they know the Sheriff's name?

Edit: never mind. For some reason I thought that the place they were talking about at the dinner table was different from the one they actually went to.

Starks fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

radlum posted:

Loved the first episode; both the intro and the final scenes were amazing. However, did I miss something with that phone call that Atticus made? I didn't get what he was doing

I think he’s a Korean War vet and he was calling his ex or something

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

a kitten posted:

I think it's outright stated that he's a Korean War vet and it seems likely that she would be someone he has (or had) a relationship with, but the scene has some extra flavors added since he a) called Korea, but didn't actually talk to her, and b) she seemed extra concerned that he had gone home. Both of those things could have perfectly mundane explanations, but the second part makes me wonder if the two of them had a pretty good idea he was heading into some weird poo poo if he did make that trip.

Oh that’s a good catch. They did say he was a vet but I didn’t hear them say which war.

Also I think that the woman on the phone is the one in the opening sequence. Pretty small cameo for Jamie Chung otherwise...

Edit: beaten by mere seconds !

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Episode two spoilers so did Uncle actually die? I'm almost certain the spoiler reel thing at the end of episode one had scenes with him in them that weren't in this episode, but since we already had a "dream/doppelganger" thing happen, uhh? Biting my nails here.

Episode 2 I feel like they foreshadowed his death so hard last episode that I was surprised he didn’t die then. So I think he’s gone which is too bad because the actor was great. Show seems pretty heavy on visions/dream sequences so he might show up again at some point though.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ex post facho posted:

:psyduck:

gotta love "CLONES" set to a black man walking through downtown 1950s Chicago (???) followed by "Killing Strangers" set to a scene in which no characters actually* die

thematically those choices make zero loving sense for the scenes or era or tone; I'm getting the same cringey awkward vibes suggesting the sound director just pulled a list of their favs and randomly decided where to insert them that I got from Handmaid's Tale

The titular spoken word poem that played over the climax describes events that happened 15 years later. The James Baldwin speech from the last episode also takes place after the events of the show. It’s clear that the anachronistic music is a deliberate decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

anothergod posted:

Yeah I can see if you were hoping for some serious poo poo you would be disappointed, but, like... I'm tired of that. I was about to cancel my HBOMax sub because it's all so heavy. I'm really glad that there's something that's fantastic and fun especially wrt something so heinous and topical like racism. I had to get myself in the mood to watch "The Plot Against America", but this one? Like, I know it's going to be heavy, but it doesn't feel that way.

Ya I don’t think it’s a great show but I am just so tired of “slow burns” right now