Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
First episode was good, I would have preferred a bit more Lovecraft and monsters, but perhaps that will come in later episodes.

One thing that confused me When they are being chased by the truck, that white woman parks her car in front of it in order to stop it chasing them. But the truck starts flipping over several meters before hitting her car. I can't tell if they messed up the effects for that, or if it really just flipped over for some mystical reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall I liked this episode more than the first one, but I am more into the lovecraft aspect than racism.

I was a little disappointed that the monsters are supposed to be shoggoths, just seems like a waste to take one of lovecrafts weirder creations, and turn them into something a lot more generic

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maybe it's just me, but Tic seemed really aggressive and hostile in the second episode, and now he just tried to murder an innocent woman..
It seems very strange behaviour for one of the protagonists of the story

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Laughing Zealot posted:

Spoiler talking about what he does in the end of episode three? Her being innocent is a bit...debatable.

Agree with others here, this episode feels like the show is back on track after the strangeness of the second one.

I am not saying that she is a good person, but she did save his life twice now. And she certainly hasn’t done anything that would justify him murdering her.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
He straight up murdered a person in cold blood, it’s going to take a lot more than five episodes to redeem that.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

anothergod posted:

If magic didn't exist so would have Tic

I agree, but people here thought it was perfectly fine for the hero of the story to murder a person who did nothing to threaten him, a person who has in fact had saved his life twice.

But at the very least Tic is generally a sympathetic character, Montrose is not.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really wasn't a fan of this episode, and was bored throughout most of it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was utterly bored by last weeks episode, but this was exactly what I was looking for.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is it just me or was the Ji-Ah scene in this episode poorly written? The dialogue where Tic for some reason asks whether she is a succubus, and she explains the nine tails thing, it was just extremely akward and felt like it was added at the last second, because the writers needed to explain what was going on in that Korea episode . Leti storming off for no reason didn't help.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

anothergod posted:

Are people always concerned about having likeable heroes? I generally feel like most TV I've watched for a while has heroes w/ obvious flaws that are overcome by likeability. Tic seems like completely the opposite. He's very likeable up front but his flaws eat away at that. I feel like that is intentional.

It's not like Tic is forgetting to put the milk back in the fridge, he keeps making very bad choices and the pace of the show doesn't give the characters much time to reflect on those actions. So Tic and Leti just kind of act like assholes much of the time.
Nobody wants the protagonists to be perfect, they should have flaws, I just generally don't like shows where I don't find the protagonists sympathetic.

I find both Ruby and Hippolyta to be more interesting and sympathetic.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall I was disappointed both in the ending and the show, I was expecting more Lovecraft and horror and less fistfights.

I think my biggest disappointment of the finals was that they spent a whole season building up the Ruby and Christina relationship only to just abandon it. What exactly was the point?

I will watch a season two if they make it, and if they just make the protagonist less awful then that would solve the biggest issues the show has.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

theBeaz posted:

Be honest - how many of you quit watching Breaking Bad because Walt "wasn't a nice protagonist"?

This is still the strangest critique that keeps coming up over and over again in this thread. Maybe I'm a broke brain but I love seeing it when protagonists are believably... human.

You can be human without being a terrible person, if the protagonists are just as "evil" as the villains what is the point?

I know that i'm in the minority on this, but I need to like the main characters of any show that I watch. It's why I don't watch Breaking Bad/The Wire/Sopranos etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Did I miss something or did the show completely gloss over Yahima’s murder?