Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Robert E Howard, a contemporary, even called commented on him being extreme (though Howard was from Texas he grew more tolerant as he met and talked with people not like him). Fear of the other and unknown were a large cornerstone of Lovecraft's work and combined with his prose really gives it a certain flavour that works even today, a century after. If it helps make it palatable for anyone, ol HP would probably really hate the casting and if they knock this out of the park then all the sweeter. I hope this goes well and I look forward to more.

I've seen similar comments about Robert E. Howard floating around, but would just like to add that he was a lot worse than I think a lot of people seem to realize too, at least if his correspondence with Lovecraft is anything to go by. I've been reading A Means to Freedom, the collection of Howard/Lovecraft correspondence, and holy poo poo is it (unsurprisingly) a sty of vileness at times. As prejudiced as those times were, I can't help but put Howard into the category of "racist even for his generation." Spoilered for some of the most ugly bare-faced racism you'll hopefully read for a while. All of the following quotes are from Robert E. Howard, from around the year 1931:

"I agree with all you say about foreign immigration. 'The melting pot' -- bah! As if we could assimilate all the low-lived scum of southern Europe without tainting the old American stock..." P. 88

"I'll freely grant an Englishman, Scotchman, Irishman or Welshman the right to become an American the instant his foot touches American soil, but as far as I'm concerned a wop or a Slav can't become American in five hundred years." P. 98

"...where in all the world is there an unspoiled, hardy race of clean-blooded barbarians, fit to take the reins of the world when the older peoples decay? ...Russians -- must eventually repeat the pages of history and conquer the civilized world, as all rising Aryan powers have done in the past. But it is a possibility which I contemplate with scant relish. There is too much Mongol blood in the veins of Russia for me to regard that nation as anything but alien." P. 99

"...he already had eleven or twelve killings to his name, though only nineteen years old -- that isn't counting Mexicans and Indians. No white man of that age who had any pretensions to gun-fame counted any but the regal warriors of his own race and color." P. 154 (On gunfighters)

"...its [sic] a drat pity that the Boskop people didn't have some Aryan traits to stiffen their spines and train their hands in fighting. I hate to think of white people being wiped out and enslaved by n------."

"I cannot think of Saul, David, Abner, and Joab as Jews, not even as Arabs; to me they must always seem like Aryans, like myself. Saul, in particular, I always unconsciously visualize as a Saxon king..." P. 161

"Its [sic] a dirty shame that the Polacks are selling those fine old stone walls and replacing them with wire fences. Another proof that traditions mean nothing to these aliens, who bring their own traditions with them and callously trample on those of the land they pollute by their presence." P. 167

"The Scandinavian and the n-----, the extremes of development! Well, it's glad I am that my Danish great-greatgrandfather was so fair-skinned, blue-eyed, and red-haired-and-bearded that no one could mistake him for a Virgin Islander!"

"Some day I must write of the success of the earlier Crusades to gratify my racial vanity."

"I certainly show no trace of Oriental blood -- thank God."

"I don't know whether an Oriental smells any different than a n------ when he's roasting, but I'm willing to bet the aroma of scorching hide would have the same chastening effect on his surviving tribesmen... I understand Hawaii is controlled by Oriental interests. Instead of a boycott, a noose should have been used wholesale. As for the attorney, for any white man who is low enough to crucify an out-raged child of his own color before a mongrel swarm, a roll down a hill in a barrel full of safety-razor blades is too good for him. It is my ardent hope that he will come to his end at the hands of some of his yellow-bellied pets." P. 294

Yikeseroni! They have some interesting conversations about the relative merits of civilization vs. barbarism and epistemology, at least, but the whole volume is kind of interwoven with this shared sense of fascistic racial destiny garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU