Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
So I've just started listening to the official HBO podcast "Lovecraft Country Radio", and something is puzzling me a little. Please forgive my white European never-having-had-first-hand-experience-with-black-culture ignorance, but as a non-native speaker, I'm genuinely interested.

One of the hosts (who is a writer on the show) keeps referring to herself as "mother of three free black children". Why the emphasis on the "free" here?
Is it a common expression akin to the much-maligned "woke", as in "I raise my children with the awareness of the systemic injustices they face as people of color, and I teach them means and ways to combat those injustices", or is it a reference to slavery (which would strike me as odd in the 2000s), or am I reading too much into it and it simply means "raised in a liberal, non-authoritarian way"?

Again, pardon the ignorance, just interested and I thought this might be a good place to ask. LC is a hell of a show and it's given me a lot to think about over the last nine weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Madurai posted:

I'm not really comfortable with Diana's part in this being to kill a powerless and defeated enemy, for a couple of reasons, no matter how cool her cyborg arm was. It was presented as this big "gently caress YEAH" comeuppance moment, but it sure didn't feel like it.

I've been thinking about this, and part of me wanted Dee to use her robot arm to lift the rocks off Christina to let her limp away, in a sort of halfway merciful "leave and never return to bother me or mine again" scene.
It certainly would have made me, as a white male viewer, feel more at ease if we had Dee to look forward to as a symbol of a more compassionate black future. But this show never took the easy way out, and it is not here to make me feel good about myself. And that's partly why I like it so much.

It's a nice circle back to to the show's original inspiration: H.P. Lovecraft's stories never had feel-good endings either. They always left the reader with a feeling of dread, and if I'm perfectly honest with myself, dread is exactly what I'm feeling when confronted with the thought of a furious vengeful people suddenly unchained and made powerful and out for revenge against those who oppressed them, be it actively or complicitly. It makes me feel unsafe - which, I would guess, is just the most infinitesimal taste of how most people of color feel every day.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 19, 2020

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
The ending actually reminded me of the wish-fulfilment scenario of Inglorious Basterds. In a way I'm almost happy if they leave the show at one season. Continuing it might be robbing it of its impact.