Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Really liked it. Making a Lovecraft mythos show but having it star black heroes is a great way of dealing with the stain of Lovecraft's racism, I had never actually heard of that poem he wrote. Wow.

The one thing I disliked was how clearly those CG monsters were shown, as they looked kind of boring. Would've perhaps been better to obscure them more, show little shadowed glimpses.

bloom posted:

The cgi monsters in the woods looked awful but otherwise I liked the first episode. It was more action-oriented than I expected from a Lovecraftian story but then I didn't even know this was based on a book by another author so maybe that's how it is.

Curious to see where this goes.

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah, I think the disconnect is to look at this like something Lovecraft would wrote, instead of something someone who likes Lovecraft, but also pulp in general would wrote. The dream intro sequence and the initial dialogue all reference John Carter of Mars. I always thought that if a modern author had written The Shadow over Innsmouth, its inhabitants would look and behave a lot like the classic human villains from Stephen King's best novels, and I think this is going to be more of a mashup of Green book+IT+Evil Dead than Green Book+Lovecraft.

I have no idea where the show will take it but one thing to make clear is that the book was not really in the Lovecraft Mythos at all. If I remember correctly, only the first story (which was the basis of this episode) felt explicitly Lovecrafty. The other stories have other genre author influences. Like That Italian Guy said there's already been Burroughs references and the book felt pretty Steven Kingy at times. I also remember thinking how some stories reminded me of Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke. It's like a big genre mashup.

I wish I could remember the book better because I having a hard to telling what are changes and what are things I straight up forgot. I guess it doesn't matter in the end but it's going to nag at me.

Jerusalem posted:

Loved the first episode, I never knew about Sundown Towns and goddamn what a horrific and monstrous concept that this was just an accepted thing in the not-too distant past.

Also I loving adore Uncle George, please don't hurt him!

Not-too-distant is right, when I moved to Texas I remember people telling me about how hosed up Vidor was (and probably still is).

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

The cop that chased them to the train tracks was one of the ones in the woods/cabin? I thought he stopped at the tracks? Did he radio the other cops ahead and then join them? Was kinda confusing how they edited that part. Is that how he knew his name?

They knew the sheriff because they had newspaper clippings about him and said that the NAACP had filed complaints about him.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The opening dream sequence, then he talks about reading A Princess of Mars.