Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Yeah, if that was a comprehensive map, it would be far, far fuller. I don't see any locations marked off in Connecticut where I live, and I can easily think of several towns off the top of my head.

Xealot posted:

I'm from CT, and I'm very curious as to which towns these would've been. I grew up outside Hartford, in a mostly-black town that's surrounded by majority-white towns because of redlining. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if many of those towns were "sundown towns" once upon a time.

Haha. Another Connecticut native here. I found this post that talks about some of the CT sundown towns. Not surprisingly it also seems like Italians and Jews were targeted.

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/secret-history-new-englands-sundown-towns/

I also found this list but it seems less reliable. If you click the links, a lot of the entries aren't about sundown towns but places where there was racism in the 1960s/70s, which... I mean, that's pretty much the entire state.

https://sundown.tougaloo.edu/sundowntownsshow.php?state=CT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I agree with everyone who is really not feeling Montrose. I think Bismuth spoke my mind above in describing him as relentlessly lovely in a non-entertaining way. Now I guess we're supposed to sympathize with him because he was lovely because he was gay in a homophobic environment? That not only is not a great message, it's also undermined by the fact that at least from what we've seen, his gay friends/lover are nowhere near the levels of POS he is.

I also think that Jonathan Majors and especially Jurnee Smollett are really great actors. I don't think I've seen either of them in anything before but they're both really good. Which is a shame with Leti because I think her character is really not given a lot to do. Even in the one episode of the show so far that was centered around her, outside of the exorcism scene with the ghosts she felt somewhere between very removed and very passive. I think Jurnee Smollett is a better actress than the woman playing Ruby but in this episode, every time they went away from the Ruby story to Tic and Leti or Montrose it just felt like it was dragging.

Which brings me to the other issue I have, I've enjoyed each episode so far as a standalone doing its own 1950s African-American take on a particular horror trope but anything with the overarching plot really has not hooked me. All the stuff with lodges and the Language of Adam and the Epstein Time Machine are really not pulling me in. I know I'm not alone in this but there are definitely scenes that feel so rushed like they've been edited to condense twenty minutes of plot into 30 seconds and I wish the show would either go more towards fully standalone or actually develop this overarching plot, especially since (at least from what I've seen) it seems like a lot of the Lodge-related stuff was invented for the show and not taken from the book.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As a New Englander, there's no city in the region we're prouder of than Chicago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm so-so on the final episode. I think the big problem for me is that the show was best on the individual episodic narratives, but the overarching plot never really felt that compelling to me, and the final episode was pretty much entirely centered on that big stuff that was the least interesting to me, and suffered a bit for it.

Also man, the Christina actress really can't act. The fight between Ruby/Christina and Leti was also really badly done.

At a minimum, even if there's no second season, it was a fun show and I definitely hope Jurnee Smollett and Jonathan Majors get big career boosts out of it.