Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

anothergod posted:

At the end of the day it's 2020 and any show about killing secret racist sexist clubs is going to get me to watch. I mean I watched The Magicians and Agents of Shield so like my standards are low
The Magicians is real good though???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

She was being sarcastic. This is like when goons thought Rocket Raccoon’s wife and daughter were dead.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

anothergod posted:

Just a show of hands (no judgment), who here was beaten as a kid? We see this a lot in media, and I think a lot of poor/immigrant/etc families make jokes about it, but I have very rarely seen it talked about on any other level than "good/bad/funny".

I remember when I was really little (like less than 3), my dad would slap my hand really hard if I did something bad. He's a first gen immigrant, and it was a much different time when he was growing up, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's how he was raised. I've never broached the topic w/ him, but I think he sees it as a bad thing that he just had to stop, and he's never had a reason to bring it up himself. Personally I don't care, but, it's just interesting to think about how things like that change.
I was beaten enough as a child that my teacher in 4th or 5th grade tried to have the vice principal call CPS due to the bruises she saw on me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

She’s not a great actress but she was in Fury Road and The Neon Demon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

I liked the finale and how things ultimately fell, but I definitely feel like the show was messy enough that a second season would have to both retcon their triumph immediately as well as over-explain some facets that I kinda hope they leave it as is. I don't think you could get a more visceral satisfactory ending than Christina's throat being horribly crushed as their guardian shoggoth triumphantly howls in the background.

I refuse to believe anyone could remember anything about Neon Demon other than Keanu and the cougar enough to remember individual actresses
I saw it at a press screening and during the scene when Elle Fanning has her first modeling tryout and the fashion designer is entranced by her, someone in the audience loudly said "I don't get it!"

It's a silly movie that's gorgeous to look at. That's about it.