Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^ They look very similar.

I wonder if we have ourselves a Shadow Over Innsmouth situation with Atticus's heritage :tinfoil:

Letitia's brother mentioned a "witch" was killed for fornicating with the devil who appeared to her a negro man. This is a reference to his mother's family. He wasn't the devil.

Some notes: Lovecraft and Kafka share a lot of DNA in that they were products of their times, germ theory was real but antibiotics were not, so sanitary education was serve. The bar dude getting a bj out back was a reference to James Baldwin right? That speech was good, shame about the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

AtraMorS posted:

I mean, Baldwin was gay. I'm not sure how you get from there to back-alley blowjobs but I guess he could be? He didn't look anything like him though.

The audience for that speech decided in Baldwin's favor, incidentally. Standing ovation and everything. It's hosed up though (or at least it's always looked this way to me), because if you watch it there's a split-second when Baldwin is sitting down and everyone else is rising to their feet at once, and he's loving terrified of what these white people are about to do.

Anyway, although I have not read the book, I kinda feel like the ending of the pin-drop speech will turn out to be a pretty heavy bit of foreshadowing:

They look the similar, that's all.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah, on reflection, that was dumb.