Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Haven’t really had an issue with the changes the show has made from the book til now. Didn’t hate the episode (fine to get some more backstory on Tic in the war) but I just don’t find this addition to the plot interesting. Then again it’s a bit early to tell so I’ll stay open minded.
Edit: Actually on sudden retrospect, I do kind of hate it. I don’t see the backstory of Tic as a war criminal adding any compelling depth to his character.

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Why were those tentacles furry!?!?

Nine tailed fox.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Glad we are back to the source material this week, this was one of my favorite stories in the book. Definitely took it a different direction but it worked really well. Interesting set up for next week, I’m gonna make an assumption that Tic is in some sort of wolfenstein-like alternate dimension where the world is even worse for POCs

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The beginning of the Korean War saw some heavy defenses built as part of the Pusan perimeter, which likely included trenches. The last two years of the war also saw lots of entrenching by both sides.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
These last two episodes have been amazing, probably my favorite yet. I appreciated the shout out to the differences between the show and the book, nice touch there. This episode also proves, to me, how strong this show is when drawing from the source material rather than adding unnecessary things (succubus).

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Did not really enjoy the finale as much as the last three or four episodes. Verified that Ji-Ah was a total pointless addition to the source material and the vagueness of the magic spell macguffins caused me to lose interest. As an Asian American I’m reflecting on the use of Asian/Asian Americans in this show and Watchmen and I’m not able to put it in words but I feel... some type of way. I’m not offended and I appreciate both shows as an opportunity to educate myself but I feel disappointed I guess.

However I did enjoy the show overall. I really encourage anyone who has not read the book to go check it out. The differences between the book and show mean there are some great aspects unique to each.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

anothergod posted:

Filipino dude here, and yeah, absolutely the same. I totally expected Ji-Ah to be a prop character after Daegu, and yeah, it happened. But honestly, Black Asian racial interactions is bigger than one episode or even a whole season for a show that already has a lot on its plate. If anyone has resources to articles or media related to Black and Asian racial interactions, I'm super interested. Does the book go into that at all? I doubt it, but, I'd be interested if it does.

To note: Ji-Ah is the only non blood family ally and I think Tic made it a note to call her family. Not even Sammy stuck around, but Ji-Ah was there.

She does not exist in the book and we don’t see Korea in the book. Tic is still a returning vet in the book, with that background used to show how he is a victim of racism even at the hands of white veterans.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

TraderStav posted:

Are we done with the source material, or are there other stories to be told from that? If there's a season 2, will this be like Handmaid's tale that the show writers just riff off of where it all left off?

The show hit pretty much everything from the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Xealot posted:

My wife is Asian-American, and her complaint on this point about Watchmen was basically that Lady Trieu felt like an also-ran, a bit of diversity casting that didn't really intersect with the wider narrative in a particular or important way. If you met the showrunners way more than halfway, there's maybe some argument to be gleamed about colonialism or global capitalism, but trying to tie that into the show's specific themes of anti-black racism? Eh, I don't know.

You could probably say similar things about Ji-ah in this. There are a lot of topics her story elicits - on feminist, anti-racist, and post-colonial grounds - but does the show really want to delve into them, or just acknowledge they exist? The writers clearly had a solid perspective and a lot of knowledge of black history and black thought, but there's a lot about Ji-ah's experience that's external to that and couldn't really receive time or focus this season. I had a similar thought a few episodes back about Yahima, who had SO much to chew on (as an intersex, indigenous time traveler) before they just gut her immediately and address none of it.

Yea, just felt like either show was not able to explore the themes hinted at fully. I was a little more forgiving toward Watchmen because Vietnam was more relevant to the plot and the alt-history angle.