Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I liked this whole episode, but I am really tired of Montrose, I was already tired of his poo poo but at the point he murdered Yahima I tuned out on whatever his deal was. I dont understand why they keep allowing him to be anywhere near stuff that matters to them because hes shown how consistently untrustworthy, lovely, and stubborn he is. I just cant be happy for his "gay reveal" and whatever when hes been a consistent piece of poo poo for the entire show's run and for the pre-show history. I'd toss 10 Montroses into traffic to get uncle George back.

I dont think Ruby's murder was 100% supposed to be 'justice' also, I think they're showing the start of her going down a dark/dangerous path because thats always the theme with magic in this stuff. Letting loose with murderous intent and no consequences usually leads to bad things, and this show seems pretty good at having consequences (except for montrose)(yet).

Her story seems to be sort of a contrast to Tic/Letti's. They're trying to unravel and use the magic with the intent of protecting themselves and figuring out what the gently caress is going on around them, where as Ruby has gone down a path of violence and self-indulgence with it. Im not sure either path is going to end well, but I dont think Tic may come out of it with the same damage/baggage Ruby does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, this feels like Christina Braithwhite is creating a tool she can use to unleash on Leti, or just have Ruby turn on Leti when Leti and Tic try to take out Christina.

How they're treating Montrose is weird. Like he hasn't really been sympathetic at all, up until this last episode where they try to rehab his image I guess. Maybe they will use his closeted homosexuality as a reason why he was such an rear end in a top hat for so long.

I wont be especially happy if they decide to try and rehab his lovely behavior through gayness. I am not a fan of the whole violent closeted gay thing, its something I've seen a few too many times for my (gay) taste. Nothing can redeem him in my eyes and if they try to make him sympathetic at this point its not going to work for me.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Yeah it really sucks because I'm pretty invested in the stories (for better/worse) of all the characters and really eager to see each new episode- but then there's him and he sucks all the life out of any scene he's in because of how relentlessly lovely (in a non-entertaining way) he is

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Ok but does our token gay character have to be a child beating murderer that literally burned away his beother's dying wish and seems to exist mostly to get his son in continuously deeper poo poo?

E: im also pretty hung up on who and how montrose killed, since most in the series so far has at least one corpse under their belt

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 15, 2020

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

anothergod posted:

Are we still having the "I don't like characters who are bad people so this whole show is bad" conversation?

If that's what you got from what people have said then lmao. I think everyone had given pretty thoughtful reasons why this character irritates them and yet still like the show.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I felt I had seen like the exact scenes with montorse and the drag queens so many times in media that that if I was just a little higher I might have forgotten what show I was watching. Unfortunately I wasn't that high so I just kept thinking about how I was watching a very positively glittery shot happy scene for a man that had very recently slit the throat of an innocent indigenous intersex character. I was very excited to see Yahima's story when they showed up and they ended up getting less screen time than montrose laying drunk on his floor. Not only is he a huge drag any time he's around he's actively subtracting/replacing more interesting/engaging characters and plot elements.

Also as a gay whose entire family/friend group is made up of the queer community I gotta say that's part of why I'm so salty about characters like this showing up over and over. Why is spending one night with drag queens some kind of fairy godmother moment for lovely characters.

Goddamn I miss uncle George soooo muuuuuuch.

Abt the trueblood thing, I'm not sure that's a good comparison. The tones of the shows are a lot different, I actually really prefer the lovecraft country characters because they (mostly) really have their heads on their shoulders. I dont think this show needs some charming innocent ditz character as the center, that has been played out to death. I much prefer the more mature, self assured, and jaded characters being kind of dumped into all this weirdness, it makes more sense when they survive because they're used to surviving.

Im also glad there hasn't really been a situation where someone who has already experienced crazy stuff gets in trouble because they just didnt "believe" it and keep trying to act like stuff is normal. Everyone so far that has seen/experienced the supernatural has just accepted what their eyes/friends told them and moved on with a new plan. Its good to see horror where the conflicts arent entirely based on the main characters being huge morons.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Holy poo poo dont compare him to skyler lmao. Solvent is right though

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Something is absolutely wrong if people are upset at Michael K. Williams screen-time.

Yeah its not the actor's fault, I think he's doing exactly what the writers/directors want, and doing a good job. Its just the content they're giving him is a huge loving drag.

I was kind of excited to see some queer content in a show like this, i thought maybe we'd get a very often ignored and overlooked black/queer perspective, but its the same poo poo as always

The only potential this show has for doing something good in my gay eyes at this point is how it deals with ruby/christina's relationship. I hope they dont have ruby just run off at the point she learned the truth, because that...i mean, she already has been doing weird magic and very nearly murdered a guy, if she runs off just because her boyfriend is a girl I'd be miffed. Id like to see some insight into how Christina identifies, if william is just a useful suit or if he represents a real part of her gender identity. I dont have high hopes though

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Lmao that of all the korean mythical creatures to feature they picked the weebiest one

I personally dont think its weird that she forgave tic for killing her friend, because she probably has a higher body count than him and she actually has all the memories of the people she killed. That makes all her murders way more personal than following orders type stuff, so they probably hang on her a bit more. She saw herself and tic as kindred murderous spirits that could reach for humanity together

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
That feel when you want to do an anime but your character fought in Korea instead of Japan *slaps a 9-tailed fox into script like flex-seal on a water tank*

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Anonymous Zebra posted:

China and Korea actually do have their own variations of the nine-tailed fox. I actually stopped the video to look up what creature they were referring to and laughed when wikipedia showed it was a nine-tailed fox.

This is by far the weirdest Naruto fan film I've seen in awhile :v:.

Oh I know, but they also have like a billion other creatures both unique and shared across cultures. Its just funny to me they picked the one that's the most well known because of anime, and most people associate with japan (and naruto). The people making the show are 100% young enough to know what's up too

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

It's less a discussion about whether or not its a war crime (of course it is), and more a discussion about whether Tic could/should have done anything to stop it.

Not sure if its from the books, but I think that making his dark secret something that's unpalatable to a modern audience is a good choice. They could have easily made it something like killing a bunch of racists in cold blood.

Is it possible to kill racists in cold blood? If you know they're racists I mean, not like accidentally driving a semi through a klan meeting (which would be amazing imo)

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Regarde Aduck posted:

His point is the dark secret shouldn't be something you sit there thinking 'woah cool'

I got the point, I was just pondering if it was possible to kill racists in cold blood, if you knew who they were

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
It seemed weird that all they talked to ji-ah about was tic's love life when they could have asked her more about the supernatural world, or even asked if there was some way for her to help instead of just shutting her down. It was like they forgot their lives are delicately suspended in a web of weird monsters and magic, and maybe having one on their side could be helpful

Like maybe she didnt know anything because she had no points of reference for what she saw in the vision, but if they filled her in and showed her some stuff she would be able to connect the dots

Also I just kinda hate that cliche of a years gone ex showing up and the new person immediately flipping out

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Considering they had a whole entire episode dedicated to ji-ah I feel like they HAVE to have more for her to do, but we're kinda running out of eps arent we? The closer we get to the end with no real feeling of building towards anything is making the scenes of tic and leti fussing about stuff feel a lot more like wasted time.

Im most invested in Ruby, shes a pretty deeply flawed character who still remains interesting, and her arc actually seems to have some movement in it. The main characters seem to have stalled out a bit, except for (maybe) the very end of this last ep.

I see Christina as a weird maladjusted robot lady who might have (unexpected) genuine feelings for Ruby and seriously misinterpreted what Ruby was saying she wanted Christina to understand/feel and went way too literal. So far I've done a decent job picking up on Christina's story beats so I hope that's the case. She never seemed like that much of a "main villain", the magic cops seem like they're filling that role more, both individually and as a looming background threat that no one is safe from. I mean just saying "magic racist cops", I can't think of much worse than that. Come to think of it I feel like the magic cops are the only group that's had a consistent rising threat level against pretty much any/all characters.

Idk, Im eager and wary of what the last 2 eps hold, I really hope it ramps into an entertaining finale, it definately has the potential to, but some of the pacing choices have me worried. Im 100% going to watch it though, for any flaws the show has, im totally invested in seeing every episode. Even when its frustrating and dragging it has enough to keep me waiting for more.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
She also gives me vibes of some kind of social disorder beyond white privilege, like she genuinely doesn't understand other people very well, or how to deal with her own feelings when she has them. That could be from her upbringing though, considering her dad didnt seem to treat her like a person

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

I was physically disciplined in a standard WASP household. It was mostly early 90s socially appropriate levels of force though occasionally it went a little off the rails if my dad was really pissed. It never crossed the line into a legitimate beating though.

It was used sparingly, probably to underscore the threat of force, which was used far more often. We have not continued the cycle. I slapped my daughter's hand away from a hot plate by instinct one time and I felt terrible.

I think slapping a kid's hand away from something hot/sharp/wild animal/otherwise immediately dangerous isnt really the same and you shouldn't feel too bad about it... its a much better snap reaction than the people who think its ok to let the kid touch a stovetop to teach them a lesson

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I dont want to read any spoilers yet but I just wanna know...did they completely waste Ji-ah? Did her huge buildup have any payoff?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I wanted to like the finale, I really did, but yikes. The show overall was good, I would watch some of the episodes again, and would watch most of some episodes (occasionally fastforwarding). I feel like this entire show would have benefited from being a little longer, even just like 12-15 eps. There was a lot of stuffthat was rushed through at maximum speed that ended up actually being story-important. There was also a lot of stuff that could have been cut or done differently to offer more time to the important things.

The pacing was...so weird...didnt love it. Wasnt a fan of the exposition dimension either, I feel that stuff could have been told to us through the story over the course of several episodes instead of having characters dump a ton of information all at once. Building up the story with his bloodline and the book more consistently instead of sort of ignoring it for long periods of time and them blasting it out in huge info dumps would have been rad.

The pacing and tone shifts of the finale felt like 3 episodes that got chopped together and then different parts were played at different speeds.

I also felt like the warlock cops were a better villain/group than christina. The cops actually had some building tension, and there were a bunch of story and visual parts to them that I thought was leading up to something, and then just never did. Their threat level actually increased over the course of the show and I thought it was building up to more than just all of them getting massacred at once by a monster. They were also more satisfying villains because they were outright and actively malicious and extremely threatening. Christina's threat level sort of hit one spot and then plateaued throughout the whole show, occasionally dipping but never rising. As others have said the main cast never seemed to actively try to do anything about her the entire time, or even care about what she was doing for the most part, until they found out she wanted to sacrifice Tic. She just seemed like another side character, whereas the cops were the villains.

Ji-ah's contribution felt hollow and unnecessary, and her being a cliche rear end nine-tailed fox demon was...eh. Like, there are other asian spirits out there, not sure why the asian girl had to be a predatory sex demon with an anime twist. The connecting tic and christina thing could have been achieved by Leti just stabbing the bloody dagger into tic's body and wouldnt have needed a whole extra character to be there, it kind of felt like they decided she needed to be in the final scene but werent really sure how so just...used her as an extension cord. I think Yahima would have been a better character to keep around for this since they actually had a connection to and usefulness to the Book Plot.

I really didnt like the back to back scenes with Ji-ah/Tic and Leti/Ruby, both scenes felt like the heroes had intentionally gone out to emotionally manipulate people who cared about them because they needed something. Especially when Leti presumably used the pregnancy as a trump-card to guilt Ruby into helping her out. Neither of them seemed very genuine. Maybe it would have been different if they'd kept ji-ah around when she arrived in america instead of just brushing her aside until the very end when they needed help.

I would have liked to see the stuff between Hippolyta and Di pushed back by several episodes and then spread out across them. It just felt weird that Di made such a big deal about not caring where her mom went just that she wasnt there (a totally 100% valid feeling that I appreciate that she expressed) but then later she gets left in a car in the dark woods where monsters are. Like, they all knew the monsters were there, and that they could rip up cars. Why did they leave her out there? Hippolyta didnt contribute anything to the ending 'fight', I would have preferred to see her stay behind either at the house or in the car with Di. Maybe even deal with the monsters together. It felt like they set up that trauma for Di fairly well and then just sort of brushed it off with a robot arm because it was time for other stuff to happen. Idk, the character development between them should have been over the course of multiple episodes, not sprinkled lightly over the finale.

Christina's motivations and actions also seemed loving weird at times, like her knocking ruby out and putting her in a coma to make sure she could do her big spell, but then saving Leti at the last moment? I assume she saved her because she loved Ruby and made the promise, but by the time she already bopped her into slumbertown it seemed like an odd choice, especially since she did nothing to restrain Leti and prevent her from doing exactly what she did. I guess it could be that she assumed she would be ok once she was immortal, but she KNEW they had the book, so that was uncharacteristically stupid of her.

Rambling aside, I think being longer by even a couple eps could have helped this show. There were some great things that were either rushed at lightning speed or squeezed into too short of a time by mostly happening off screen or in flashy cuts/montage. The earlier episodes like the ghost one I really enjoyed, I thought they were pretty strong, and some of the arcs COULD have been that strong if they were just paced better. At times it kind of felt like they wrote the show as an episodic thing and then tried to stuff the overarching plot in later instead of weaving it all together coherently.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

socialsecurity posted:

9 tailed foxes existed before anime, automatically classifying Korean cultures historical myths as "anime" is racist as poo poo. But I do agree the pacing was a bit erratic and the 2 big magic endgame setpieces in the 2nd and last episodes felt different than every other episode and not in a good way.

Yeah I know, but there are a ton of other korean creatures that could have worked or even worked better here, but they chose possibly the singularly most recognizable and overused (by western stuff) supernatural creature in any asian culture, that people almost exclusively are aware of because of anime. I think dragons are the only eastern mythological thing that might outrank nine tailed foxes. I just think they could have scratched the surface a little deeper to find something more interesting/fitting and also maybe not made her a predatory sex demon with killer orgasms and pussy tentacles.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I thought christina's actress was ok, but only because I assumed her being a weirdo insectoid alien lady was on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Yeah I would have liked a cameo from Yahima/their crew since they were the first victims of the white wizards