Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

JazzFlight posted:

Nah, they ruined Tic. You can’t say he had a complicated past and have it be that dark as just killing civilians for no reason. That’s hosed up.

Are you really this naive about what happens in war? Especially a US imperialist war in the 50s? He killed civilians because he was ordered to. As a black man. If he didn't follow that order his life could well have effectively ended. The show very effectively showed how someone who is very much an oppressed minority in the US nonetheless is turned into an imperialist oppressor by the US war machine. And yet even within that new dynamic the dynamic of oppression suffered by Tic is still relevant and an important part of the story. That's why Ji-Ah ends up empathizing with him, even though he put a gun to her head, was ready to kill her and killed her communist friend. And you are right, that is hosed up and dark. But it's also so incredibly true and something that is happening to this very day. For a lot of black Americans growing up in lovely neighbourhoods joining the military is still the most readily available chance at upward social mobility. That same US military is at war and committing crimes, still, today.

I can't believe how many of you are complaining simultaneously that a horror show is making you feel uncomfortable and at the same time that it is bad at horror. This show is revealing some of the horror that pervades your entire society. And if you think that horror is *just* racism you are missing a significant part of the point.

This show is loving brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The show continues to be really good, actually.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I enjoyed this last episode but holy poo poo you've traveled through time via an unstable transdimensional portal. I get that it's sad and tragic but maybe move with some goddamn urgency. Tic was the only one who took it seriously.

People don't always act rational when exposed to massive trauma. Also Tic has training and a lot of recent experience on how to keep functioning when exposed to massive trauma.

Vorgen posted:

This is the best show on television.

You better loving believe it. Unless they gently caress up the ending something awful next episode this show will have been the best TV show of 2020 and it wasn't close.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 13, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

And the show hasn't failed to notice that what white supremacy is to black people in the United States, US imperialism is to most of the world's population. As you say, "vast powers that are at best utterly uncaring about you and at worst will casually destroy you out of hand if they deign to notice you."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Following some others in this thread I'm just going to post a personal story to explain why Tic, and especially episode 6, resonated with me so much.

So, I'm Dutch, and that means my country used to have a colonial empire which we got in the usual way of brutally murdering and oppressing anyone from the indigenous population who objected to being exploited for the profits of the elite of the metropole. Current day Indonesia (back then called the Dutch East Indies) was the most important part of that colonial empire. During WW2 Indonesia was occupied by Japan, and following WW2 Indonesia was de-facto independent and Indonesian nationalists also declared Indonesia independent. The Dutch government wasn't on board with this, so they send in the army, marking the beginning of the Indonesian War of Independence, which lasted until 1949.

Factually this can be understood to be an attempt to recolonize Indonesia by the Netherlands. That is not, however, how this period of history is seen in my country. Only in literally the last year or two do we even start to see words like "Indonesian War of Independence" used to describe this period. Before, and still in many places, the deploying of the Dutch army to Indonesia is referred to as "Police Actions", which also refer specifically to Operation Product and Operation Kraai (Crow), two major military offensives undertaken by the Dutch army during the war. The language usage alone betrays just how not ready we are as a country to be honest about what we did in Indonesia. But archives are opening and younger generations with some more distance to the events are reexamining them, leading to more honest takes both in the fields of history and culture. Again, this is an incredibly recent development.

As part of that it is becoming more and more clear that the Dutch army and government conducted themselves as you would expect from a colonial oppressor. We executed people without trial. We tortured people. We burned down villages. All this starting literally months after the end of WW2, often carried out by troops which had suffered the occupation of the Netherlands by the Germans. The executions, the torture, the reprisal raids, the famine and the genocide. In the public conciousness, we are one of the victims of this brutality by the nazis, and we surely could never be as bad as that. Except perhaps, we were.

One of those troops sent to Indonesia to fight in this period was my paternal grandfather. A man I have only ever known as incredibly kind and loving and patient and whom I love dearly to this day, even though he died over a decade ago. On rare occasion, usually during remembrance day or such anniversaries, my grandparents would tell a story or two about what it had been like to live under occupation during WW2. To be oppressed in your own country. My grandfather has to my knowledge never said a word about Indonesia to any of his children or grandchildren. He never once visited a veteran's association or event. I can only imagine what he did or saw in Indonesia, but I can not imagine it was anything to be proud of.

My father is an intelligent man who nonetheless did not do very well in school. He would have to join the army anyway since we still had a draft back then, so he figured he'd join as a volunteer to get away from school as quickly as possible. But in order for him to join while still aged 17, he needed permission from his parents. My grandmother adamantly refused and my father had to wait until turning 18 before joining. I believe because of what the army had done to her husband. This caused a bitter rift between my father and my grandmother that lasted all the way to her deathbed. I hope in that final night they spent together they found some kind of peace, though I do not know. I suspect it is also part of the reason that my father has great trouble showing affection, and is completely unable to talk about his feelings. Part of the reason why he (very infrequently thankfully) beat my sister and I as children. Which in turn I suspect is a major reason my sister pursued a career in child psychology. I also think the lovely example he showed me of how to be a man is one of the reasons my 7 year relationship with my ex crashed and burned spectacularly, and I've been trying to figure out how to be better ever since.

That I even know any of this is the result of literally decades of puzzling the pieces of family history together, as none of this is or was ever discussed in my family. This war ended nearly 71 years ago, and yet sometimes I feel like I'm still living in it's echos today. gently caress war. But goddamn do I feel Tic.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Also, Holy poo poo, I didn't see the twist that they shut magic off to all white people coming, but it's absolutely wonderful and a great twist on the idea of white wizards doing their spooky poo poo. Magic is literally "COLORED ONLY"

This is the only part that I have mixed feelings about, to be honest. I mean, I totally buy that these characters would have done this, so I'm on board, but I do hope I'm not expected to believe that vast power restricted to a subset of people based on racial characteristics isn't going to lead to exactly the kind of abuse that created white supremacy to begin with. I am an anarchist so I'm just not ready to see this as a happy ending (not that the show has to have a happy ending, obviously, though it feels like it was presented as a bittersweet type of happy ending). Then again also I'm white so I'm sus as hell in this.

All in all, excellent show, easily best of the year, undecided if it beats out Spartacus for the number 3 spot in my best shows of all time list.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oasx posted:

You can be human without being a terrible person, if the protagonists are just as "evil" as the villains what is the point?

I know that i'm in the minority on this, but I need to like the main characters of any show that I watch. It's why I don't watch Breaking Bad/The Wire/Sopranos etc.

The point would be to tell a story that is a little more morally complex than a fairytale.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It was the best show on TV in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

GarudaPrime posted:

This is all just mostly conjecture, but based on the tease of the premise the showrunner leaked, I would guess that telling a story where black people come into power and abuse it at scale was probably unpalatable to the network.

Like that was a good subtheme season one, specifically that black people are just people and do the same things white people do given the opportunity, but to tease it all the way out to logical conclusions would have been to risky.

A real shame, but since they did it so well season one, I'd rather see it die then just be watered down or retread in season 2.

This saddens me because this is exactly the problem I had with the finale: power was very much inequitably distributed along racial lines, this time in favor of black people, and it felt like that was portrayed as a good thing. Daring to take the inevitable next step and show that this power imbalance, too, would be ruthlessly exploited for selfish reasons, because people are people regardless of color, would have been excellent.

But yeah, you either tell that story with no constraint or don’t bother.