Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Hey remember last week when this show was dismissed as homophobic?

Also, could someone explain the last bit with Tic and the translation for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

They do sort of yadda-yadda the whole naked black lady walking out of a crowded department store covered in bloody viscera thing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Should have force fed him the potion, imo

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Amazing shows are built around bad, compelling, characters. Montrose is bad and boring and drags down the other characters who continue to associate with them.

It was impressive that he managed to smuggle a body out of a group house though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Something is absolutely wrong if people are upset at Michael K. Williams screen-time.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dude was a Private. Torturing a spy wasn't considered to be a war crime in the 50s. He wasn't planning the war crimes and would have faced repercussions if he didn't participate in the war crimes.

This doesn't justify his actions, but it does help explain it. He is clearly dealing with the trauma of what he did in the war and on a different planet than Montrose.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If I were a black army private in an active combat zone in the fifties, I would simply hold true to the moral standards of seventy years in the future and stoically accept my measured and reasonable fate.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I dunno, I got the subtext that Montrose was alternatively abusive and absent in episode 1.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It wouldn't surprise me if a Private in Tic's situation escaped charges for the same conduct today. The officers and NCOs would probably be hosed but people are severely underestimating the institutional inertia on a private to do what he or she is told.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

ex post facho posted:

uh, in this shows setting, the Geneva conventions were expanded just a year or so before the start of the Korean war, fresh from the lessons of Nuremberg, so if anything Tic would have had humane treatment of prisoners and non-combat civilians drilled . it was pretty lethargic and didn't really do anything other than weaken the characterization of Tic and further highlight the show's internal inconsistencies.

Weird how the U.S. might hold off on ratification during a shooting war. Thankfully it got signed before Vietnam so there were no more war crimes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

ex post facho posted:

yes expecting a soldier who executed multiple civilians in broad daylight around many other witnesses to express some hesitation at the action or face even some questioning about it is the same as expecting him to be "arrested by spiderman", hmmry indeed

One involves magical thinking and no sense of how the world works. The other has Spiderman.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's less a discussion about whether or not its a war crime (of course it is), and more a discussion about whether Tic could/should have done anything to stop it.

Not sure if its from the books, but I think that making his dark secret something that's unpalatable to a modern audience is a good choice. They could have easily made it something like killing a bunch of racists in cold blood.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Bismuth posted:

I got the point, I was just pondering if it was possible to kill racists in cold blood, if you knew who they were

I live in a red state and can confirm it's still illegal to murder racists.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Schindler's List: 0/5 Stars
They ruined the "protagonist" by making him a Nazi.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I enjoy this show. :colbert:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

My time in Korea was getting drank under the table by middle age businessmen on a Wednesday so the idea that speed dating would be taboo is amazing to me.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The only reason I'd be mad at the father who attempted to beat homosexuality out of me secretly being gay the whole time is homophobia.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I was physically disciplined in a standard WASP household. It was mostly early 90s socially appropriate levels of force though occasionally it went a little off the rails if my dad was really pissed. It never crossed the line into a legitimate beating though.

It was used sparingly, probably to underscore the threat of force, which was used far more often. We have not continued the cycle. I slapped my daughter's hand away from a hot plate by instinct one time and I felt terrible.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Oh I know, but look of "Daddy just hit me!?" was heartbreaking and I can't imagine how anyone could consciously do it to a child.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I enjoyed this last episode but holy poo poo you've traveled through time via an unstable transdimensional portal. I get that it's sad and tragic but maybe move with some goddamn urgency. Tic was the only one who took it seriously.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Darko posted:

I was spanked ridiculously, with belts bare assed full force up to like 60 times, switches, etc. by my father, mother, grandmother, etc. Raised in the 80s in a black family, and it was something passed down generationally from the South.

I liked for as much as they displayed Tulsa as idyllic, it was socially acceptable for Montrose's dad to beat the poo poo out of him in broad daylight.

I just remembered that my "limited physical discipline" memories omitted my Irish grandmother's tendency to stealth up to wrongdoing children and box their ears like a septagenarian ninja. You'd never see it coming, just misbehaving when *bam* pressure migrane out of nowhere.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

People don't always act rational when exposed to massive trauma..

I don't disagree, but it's less meaningful if that irrationally doesn't live in the context of the story. The show sets the task and the stakes, the characters are aware that they have to get the book under time pressure. They fail to accomplish this difficult task because they are overwhelmed and the price they pay for their failure is nothing because Hippolyta kept the portal open through superhuman effort.

The screenplay that disarms the bomb at the literal last second is a subjective pet peeve of mine that pulls me right out. If Hippolyta suffers some cost besides a dye job for their lollygagging I'll happily withdraw my criticism.

Also, it's useful to know that Leti's protection spell follows the Tag Base rule where anything she is touching or is touching her is also protected.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

As a New Englander, there's no city in the region we're prouder of than Chicago.

I've spent enough time in Boston to say that this checks out.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm laughing my rear end off at the concept of weaving all the rules lawyering necessary to encapsulate the concept of whiteness into the spell.

I demand a Family Guy style cut to a few years in the future where JFK casts a spell to win the presidency and locks the Irish out of magic forever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

rich thick and creamy posted:

Hey, it's fantasy, you can do anything... I'm going to take it as a tip of the hat to that relatively well-known trope: The Magical Negro. That would be some good inside baseball right there.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro

Oh sure, I imagine it is as simple as self identification, as in if deep down you know you are privileged then it doesn't work. On a serious note, how do you identify any race but through exclusion, drawing Black by establishing a set of not-Black? On a less serious note, an off camera plotwhere they have to give thumbs-up/thumbs-down to every horseshit race-science stratification that was in use at the time.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Skip to 1:15
https://youtu.be/ulBhboo34gY

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Explaining Lovecraft Country to others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah, the map heavily implies that in a world where WASPs lost magic that American Caucasians get owned from coast to coast. Really curious to see what's up with New England in this world.

https://twitter.com/MishaGreen/status/1411123731653566466