Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Spoilers for the end of the 1st episode:
I'm not too familiar with the expanded Lovecraft universe and I have not read the book this is based on, but if they are using existing lore - and they are namedropping the shoggoths - I wonder if the creatures we see in the first episodes are the infamous "thousand young" belonging to Shub-Niggurath.

I don't think it's ever described, and most media just use some kind of tentacular swarm to represent Shub-Niggurath, but I was GIS'ing and I found this image that seems close enough to the creature's we've seen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Xealot posted:

This was my assumption, as well. The Princess of Mars figure in his dream was Jamie Chung, a reasonably famous actress, so I’m guessing she’s who that was.

Which says some weird poo poo about whatever that relationship was, that he literally associates this Korean woman with an exotic space princess from a pulp sci-fi adventure novel.

As Xealot noted, most of the intro sequence is allegoric. A black gi having a successful relationship with a South Korean woman in 1928 is perceived by our protagonist as probable as meeting and falling in love with a literal alien princess. Plus exoticism, but given the phone call, we know there is something that went bad there.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

bloom posted:

The cgi monsters in the woods looked awful but otherwise I liked the first episode. It was more action-oriented than I expected from a Lovecraftian story but then I didn't even know this was based on a book by another author so maybe that's how it is.

Curious to see where this goes.

Yeah, I think the disconnect is to look at this like something Lovecraft would wrote, instead of something someone who likes Lovecraft, but also pulp in general would wrote. The dream intro sequence and the initial dialogue all reference John Carter of Mars. I always thought that if a modern author had written The Shadow over Innsmouth, its inhabitants would look and behave a lot like the classic human villains from Stephen King's best novels, and I think this is going to be more of a mashup of Green book+IT+Evil Dead than Green Book+Lovecraft.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Them super Aryan characters do appear to have some abilities

Yeah I'm sure it's not a coincedence that they kinda look like the kids from Village of the Damned:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

The cop that chased them to the train tracks was one of the ones in the woods/cabin? I thought he stopped at the tracks? Did he radio the other cops ahead and then join them? Was kinda confusing how they edited that part. Is that how he knew his name?

Yeah he stopped at the tracks, but then he was with them while they were being rounded up. Tbh, the roadblock was literally on the other side of the train tracks, and I think there's an exchange where the cops acknowledge each other (something like "I told you you were going to get something" or something along those lines).

E: snipe. The 2nd story Lovecraft ever wrote was "Dagon" (July 1917). It's the story of a WW1, opium addicted navy official getting marooned on a weird and decaying island that may as well be a section of the ocean floor pushed to the surface by volcanic activity. Exploring the island, the protagonist finds a weird monolith with carvings representing sealife and what happears to be fishmen, worshipping some gigantic creature. He then gets jumped by a one-eyed titanic sea monster and loses his mind for good. He wakes up in an hospital in San Francisco, and as the opium leaves his body, he starts getting more and more sure that the beasts of the sea will surge from the depths and drag everyone under the waves. This is the point where we realize this whole story was a suicide note all along.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 18, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Alehkhs posted:

Later on, when Letitia, Atticus, and George are talking about the crash at the table, Marvin asks "Wait, what actually happened that caused the crash?" Letitia looks uncomfortable, and Atticus finds the words "Your sister's precision driving. They couldn't keep up."

Yeah, not only there was something obviously wrong outside of a Bollywood action movie, the characters themselves notice how wierd it was and they were not even seeing the events from the advantage point Goons have.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

The car is also in the city they live if I’m not mistaken :tinfoil:

Yes, it's outside/close to their house. Also, it's mentioned that, when Atticus's dad disappeared, he was last seen getting on board of an expensive gray/silver car with someone who looked like a lawyer.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^ They look very similar.

Alehkhs posted:

Another moment that caught my eye, where we had a camera angle to ourselves, was when Atticus said that the letter from his father was "about my momma". George gets up and puts the Lovecraft book back on the shelf, but stumbles on his words with a worried look on his face, "What, uh.. wh-w-what'd he say?"

When Atticus responds "He said he found out where her family came from," George's face briefly changes to one of relief, before he turns around to scoff at the pursuit of her ancestry.

I wonder if we have ourselves a Shadow Over Innsmouth situation with Atticus's heritage :tinfoil:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Oh God. Oh gently caress, he told his wife next time he should take her along.

Ive heard he's only a couple of weeks away from retirement.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

I know it can be easy to see stuff that isn't there, but I replayed the cabin scene a couple of times when I was watching and I'm 93% convinced it was a nod to Evil Dead. The windows (and the boards on them) , the porch, the set dressing down to the location of the mounted deer head, all blatantly scream the cabin from ED. I hope I'm right, because I really love that.

*Oh yeah, also the hole in the front door.

I too commented on the parallels with Evil Dead, but I'm not 100% sure how much of that is down to "Evil Dead set the tone for this is how a hunted cabin looks like". They do look quite similar, and there were a ton of references to other pulp sources in the show:

If they did it on purpose though, I'm glad it was not too on the nose.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

as it hasn't felt particularly Lovecraftian with its atmosphere or pacing.

Well, the source material is not Lovecraft - I haven't read it, so I don't know if it's this pulpy, but I guess it has a wider inspiration than H.P.L. alone). It's definitely not going to be a "mistery box" show from what it looks like, and I'm kinda glad of it. A lot of premium TV/streaming content (especially Netflix stuff) always feel a tad slow paced, so I'm happy to see HBO going the opposite way with their latest stuff (Watchmen was also packing a ton of stuff into 9 episodes. It would have probably been 2 seasons if Netflix was at the wheel).

Hostile V posted:

Gonna get a lot of mileage out of this image.

I love how Peele manages to put this kind of comedy in his horror work. That scene had me laughing out loud for good.

EDIT: I definitely liked the Esoteric Order of Dagon New Dawn Order, although I guess it's been done to death after all these years. I'm sure this is not the last we've seen of them, especially if Atticus somehow uses the Book of True Names power to save Uncle Dad.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 24, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

ex post facho posted:

:psyduck:

gotta love "CLONES" set to a black man walking through downtown 1920s Chicago (???) followed by "Killing Strangers" set to a scene in which no characters actually* die

thematically those choices make zero loving sense for the scenes or era or tone; I'm getting the same cringey awkward vibes suggesting the sound director just pulled a list of their favs and randomly decided where to insert them that I got from Handmaid's Tale

It's clear that they want to go somewhere with these choices, although I agree the result is hit and miss at best. I think the best example is with the live version of Whitey on the Moon overimposed (intro and all) over the cultist chanting. It's a bold choice, it's definitely something different and I think it's a good "hit" among other misses. The scene on itself is something we have seen a hundred times over, but the soundtrack choice makes it really pop out, both tematically and creatively. At the same time, the inclusion of the intro made me double check to see if I had another tab running the song, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to have done this.

But it's a good way to make us feel that we are inside of Atticus's head in that moment, we are not just spectators. HE is thinking about that song, about that particular version of the song, intro and all. HE is feeling those feelings. So intensely, in fact, that the completely surreal and out of the ordinary situation around him is mostly blanked out. And we are there with him. E: well apparently Atticus could not have heard that song for obvious reasons...that said, the basic feeling of the poem/song is definitely appropriate (just substitute being on the moon with dedicating one's life to reach the Garden of Eden - goals that would be equally impossible to achieve for someone in Tic's position).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 24, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

zoux posted:

The James Baldwin thing last week worked because it happened over scenes that were essentially demonstrating the truth of Baldwin's argument and the one enhanced the other. I don’t think the GSH poem worked as well because it was distracting, literally so, I was so intent on listening to Heron that I didn’t really pay close attention to what was happening in the scene and I'm not sure exactly what happened.

As I mentioned before, I think that's the idea? The audio for the poem was literally drowning everything in the background (including the sfx for the "magic" and the chanting of the cultists)...the idea being how the White Man can be so completely disconnected from everyday's life (walking on the moon or, in this case, literally living outside society and chasing immortality through magic) while the Black Man is, at best, a cog in the machine of the other's wants&needs. The sound wall is there to mimic the social divide: yes, they are both in the same room, somehow involved in the same bs ritual...but they couldn't be more distant. It's also clear that Tic is probably going through the same disbelief and anger at how injust all of this is.

I guess it could be appreciated or not, but I think the intent is quite clear with the choice they made.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 24, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

For most of the film you get subtle nightmarish vibe that increases and increases till you get the monsters. It was made in the 90s but made with practical effects but it still holds up today. Also stars the amazing Sam Neill.

I too am a fan of In the Mouth of Madness Event Horizon and think it's one of the best Lovecraftian horror movies out there. Speaking of Lovecraftian movies, it's not perfect but it's definitely in the vibe: Cold Skin. I guess it helps that I've watched it while I was going 1 week with barely any sleep due to strep throat and I would wake up to this never-changing, weird horror with fishmen from time to time. Really got me into the oniric horror theme of the movie.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 25, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

You ever check out the Lighthouse? Similar vibe but different and really good.

I haven't but I definitely will now! And yeah, Prince of Darkness is great. And you mentioned Dagon already, but I also endorse that movie as a surprisingly decent Lovecraft adaptation. It's too bad there are so few good Lovecraft movie/series, but I guess it's a bit difficult not to run into the baggage that comes attached to his stuff, unless you tackle it face first like this series is doing. Speaking of, Hbomberguy did a video essay on exactly this a couple of years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I felt the first part of the episode was...not great, but the second part more than made up for it. Hounted houses stories are all about pacing - and you can't really do pacing in a single episode, especially if that story has to share space with several other things: consequences from last episode, two different main characters's development + the slice of life story. Also, for the first half the "haunted house" story felt suuper cookie cutter compared to what we have seen till now, although both the creole priestess in place of the usual catholic exorciser and the experiment ghosts were great. Plus in this day and age it's always nice to see racist assholes getting their comeuppance.

That said, I really really disliked AHS and I hope this doesn't turn into an "1 AHS season/episode" antology - or if it does, I hope it keep things weird enough to be a new take on the classic pulp horror stories instead of just a re-hashing of them + racism. So far, so good. And if the whole apparent macroplot with the aryan wizards doesn't devolve into a mystery box (but gets explored satisfactorily), all the better.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

davidspackage posted:

The baby-headed basketball player was kind of ridiculous but seemed intended to be creepy. Was the idea that Winthorpe had turned him into that with magic? I think I missed a bit of plot, was loving around with an unresponsive set of bluetooth headphones.

Yeah, the idea I guess is that WinthorpeEpstein was doing weird science-magic experiments to either try to decipher or to use the stolen Book of True Names pages. All the dead people haunting the hause had some kind of body horror thing going on, with missing or displaced body parts.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 31, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Oasx posted:

I am not saying that she is a good person, but she did save his life twice now. And she certainly hasn’t done anything that would justify him murdering her.

I mean, she did set up things so that Letitia would end up buying a haunted house that almost got all of them killed - in the pursue of Winthorpe's stolen knowledge.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

Minor spoiler with no influence on the plot, but in case you want to feel what the show changed: the 3 white kids at the end aren't killed, the ghost simply scares them, trapping the last one in the elevator

I guess that was probably better, if they plan on staying in the house. They already have people setting up burning crosses in their frontyard, having 3 teenage white boys disappear in their house would probably be...rather bad for their future prospects. Sure the sheriff and all the deputies disappeared but things were a lot murkier there, it was in a different state AND there was definitely some grand wizard involvment in keeping things confidential. Kids running away scared and making stuff up not to come back would probably work better, but I guess would be less satisfying.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

anothergod posted:

Outside of Epstein, the ghosts generally helped leti, right? Like they woke her up when he boiler was sabotaged and they killed those intruders... I'm curious what the bathroom ghost in the mirror was doing to help?

Being helpful by refusing to have a part in the most cliché jumpscare of them all :eng101:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

big 'The Goonies' vibes from E4.

:same:

At the end of E3, when Tic was talking to the Aryan Witch, they introduced the idea of subterranean treasure hunting and I was thinking "that would be a good episode"...and they really didn't make us wait for it. Great pulpy fun.

I wonder why Montrose kills Yahima, though. I assume it's because of something he has read in the Order of the Ancient Dawn handbook or, most likely, cause he really really want to stop Atticus from getting into a (losing) magical arms race with the Grand Wizards - as his lines in the pub seem to indicate.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Does Atticus even have a problem with Sammy or the concept of being gay, especially for someone in the 50s? I don't think Tic has ever shown any kind of disdain/contempt for the few gay characters we have seen him met before and I guess this is more all the extra layers - the secrets Montrose has kept from Tic and his mother, to the point of Tic maybe even considering his true parentage, especially with what has been shown already on the show - together with the unexpected, sudden reveal.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I've just realized why the Aryan Wizard was familiar... he's Ubbe Lothbrok from Vikings :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

The museum is in Boston. There’s some weird magic going on with the Chicago house so the elevator ends up below a Boston museum.

Yeah Tic's aunt and niece even ask themselves "how did they got back without woody" (the car).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

I took that at him boasting around town that he had hosed all the girls in high school, where as in fact he had hosed no one. He looked pretty chastised.

Exactly, I think Tree was boasting to Tic that he had slept with Leti in high school during EP3. I guess:
A) it wasn't true,
B) Tic told Leti / Leti was already aware of the braggings and
C) Leti is letting Tree know that he is going around bragging about something that has not happened.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Tree 'apologizes' to Tic for sending him to the back of the club in episode 1 when he knew the owner was there getting a blowjob, then says something like "I thought you might appreciate it" to which Tic distractedly says "I ain't no sissy"

To add to that, the whole scene seems like a way for Tree to punch down on Tic by revealing to him that Montrose is gay. It sounds very much like "Oh I thought you may enjoy that, just like your dad? Oh you didn't know? Oh my!" So that Tic's response seems to be more painted with shades of surprise/anger towards his dad keeping this secret from him all this time, than something hateful for real - especially cause his first answer when Tree mentions what's happened without pulling Montrose in is "I don't mind/care".

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, this feels like Christina Braithwhite is creating a tool she can use to unleash on Leti, or just have Ruby turn on Leti when Leti and Tic try to take out Christina.

I think she is looking to get the astrolabe, and since she's failed with Leti/Tic (and Epstein's house has magical protection on it) she's trying to get to it through Ruby.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Oasx posted:

He straight up murdered a person in cold blood, it’s going to take a lot more than five episodes to redeem that.

This is going to be interesting after the last episode. Not that I am not agreeing with you, and definitely the show displays a different behavior from Tic in the aftermath. Also, there's quite a time jump from the war to the current events. Still, our protagonist murdering a defenseless woman in cold blood "obeying orders" is a lot to take in.

On another topic, I liked the fact that they showed that, even if segregation in the US army had officially ended in 1948, there were still segregated companies in Korea.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We talked about it with Montrose last week, but the cycle of violence (together with the racism, of course) may be one of the most Lovecraft-like monsters in the show: it's a gigantic, inevitable evil that hides under the pretense of normalcy. Everyone in the show - Leti aside, at least for now - has a horrible secret that has been passed down onto them as some sort of legacy.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

radlum posted:

Yeah, just wanted to know if Tic's actual war experience was anything like in that fantasy sequence; when he fantasizes about his role as a soldier, he doesn't think of his actual experience, but in the pro-war propaganda that he might have seen when he was younger. I think it adds an interesting layer to that sequence.

That's a really good point, and I was wondering why Tic would bring something like real life war into his pulpy adventure fueled dream - when even the power of racism is coded as a monster too strong for even a famouse baseball player to slay - and this makes total sense.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Still was super dumb that the men attacking them didn't shoot, they just charged them with swords.

It was a fantasy happening in Hyppolita's head / a representation of her true self after she said she wanted to kill white men, as every other thing that has happened in this episode. Although you could question how "real" things were due to the quasimagic technology used to generate it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^ It really looked like a voluntary reference to the math lady meme, but I have no idea why they would do that.

Digital Jedi posted:

Yes he did but it was authored by George Freeman not the actual author Matt Ruff
Which makes sense since that's the name Tic and Georce used to describe the part of America they are travelling to in the 1st episode. I wonder if that's a dramatization of events that have happened to them in the same adventure but in a different reality.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The shot with the two demon-kids strolling down the alley towards Dee (while she is looking at the policemen) was some grade A horror.

It remindend me a bit of the scene in Get Out when Chris is getting a smoke out of the house at night and the body-swapped sprinter grandpa runs towards/next to him.

Speaking of Lovecraftian horror, I find the concept of something non immediately supernatural but definitely "out of place" slowly coming at you extremely chilling. Alone in the Dark gave me the same kind of feeling when I was a kid, cause the monsters were not hidden in shadows or suddenly jumping out of out of frame with a cat scare - you could see these weird things slowly moving towards in plain sight. The primitive 3d models and the terrible tank controls and weird camera angles were definitely adding to the "wtf is that thing" and "I can't run away" elements for sure.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

anothergod posted:

Also anyone want to speculate about Christina hiring people to kill her like bobo?

I would say she has somewhat been touched by Ruby's talk, even if she has tried to shoot it down. Ruby has told her that she could never understand what it was to be her, and I guess Christina's reaction is to get lynched to try to grasp what that is like. Completely missing the point, by the way, since the horrible violence is just the final part of the systemic problem Ruby was talking about. Christina is so removed from her reality that, even if we want to ascribe good faith to her actions, she simply cannot understand what Ruby is talking about.

E: quote is not edit.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Hate-O-Tron posted:

I think Christina is too self obsessed and indifferent to the plight of black people to do it out of sympathy.

My personal theory is that she went through the same experience as a means to tap into the collective mourning and rage regarding Till's murder as a source of energy, similar to how Titus created the Sons of Adam to harness the belief/energy of the order with all the pomp and circumstance.

It may just be for her to be able to go back to Ruby and tell her "look what I did!" in order to gain her sympaties again. Of course, this is missing the point by a thousand miles.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

These last two episodes have been amazing, probably my favorite yet. I appreciated the shout out to the differences between the show and the book, nice touch there. This episode also proves, to me, how strong this show is when drawing from the source material rather than adding unnecessary things (succubus).

Ah, I was wondering if the changes Tic mentions to their stories were stuff that was in the original book to begin with, thanks for confirming it :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Oasx posted:

Is it just me or was the Ji-Ah scene in this episode poorly written? The dialogue where Tic for some reason asks whether she is a succubus, and she explains the nine tails thing, it was just extremely akward and felt like it was added at the last second, because the writers needed to explain what was going on in that Korea episode . Leti storming off for no reason didn't help.

I'm under the impression that it was a nod to the book? I think she is a succubus in it, by what someone else in the thread was saying; still, a weird scene.

E: vvvv then I'm at a loss.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 8, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think she did it simply because she was curious how it might feel. I mean, the guys she paid to do it even quipped "who'd *want* to die like that?"

They even ask her if she "has done anything like this before", which is a weird question to ask someone who ask you to kill them, unless you know she is not going to die. For a moment I was trying to figure out if they were some kind of Order goons, but they just looked and behaved like randos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I think Leti is pissed cause Tic never mentioned anything about this, including the fact that he knew the supernatural was real from the get go.