Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

The anachronistic music doesn't feel particularly thought out or considered, it's like they're just doing it to be cool because it was so popular in Westworld.

The show's creator (can't remember his name) has been doing this kind of thing since Underground.

It's never been a straight up commentary on scenes, so much as an emotional tone thing. I expect people want more justified takes on this kind of choice, but it's really just straight vibing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is such a weird show. Normally that papers over a lot of weaknesses for me, but not so much here.

I will say that episode five was the first episode I've enjoyed in a while.

The ending, too, is very clearly meant to be Bad News, complimenting Wunmi Mosaku's arc from repression to hedonistic disregard for human life, and using that to say dark things about the abuse inherent to privilege (specifically in terms of race). It's a classic villain turn.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Why were those tentacles furry!?!?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't necessarily see the show as a heroes vs villains thing, so I don't really mind that many of the leads are frequently terrible people.

Like, he's a soldier who served in Korea. What did anyone think was happening there? Pretending like he was some lovely guy isn't commensurate with that history, nor with his attitude to that war.

It's much better than what we saw in Watchmen last year, which was way more gentle to its protagonists (and, if I'm honest, less honest).

In terms of tone -- the horror isn't the sqwletchy monsters. That's often because the sqweltchy monsters are the thing that Lovecraft associated with minorities. You can't go "OOGA BOOGA A FURRY TENTACLE LASS FROM THE MYSTICAL ORIENT" in a Lovecraftian work without also saying "I'M A MASSIVE RACIST!". So it reinflects the entire thing with camp.

Essentially this was about how conservative Korean discourse can depict certain kinds of women as Other -- unwed women, sexually abused women, sexually active women, even queer women -- but it uses irony in its depiction of one such woman as a monster. If she was actually scary, then the episode would be committing an own goal. The real horror, as has been mentioned, is the violence she suffers at the hands of others. The real Lovecraftian Dread here is the way she's exploited by American Imperialism (he favourite musicals are army musicals), or by her mother and conservative social peers. Does she become the monster that everyone claims she must be, or can she turn it around?

I also think Tic being revealed as a war criminal is more effective because he is, otherwise, likable. It's a more nuanced presentation of racism committed by a character who we don't -- and clearly doesn't himself -- consider to be murderous and racist. Yet that's what he is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hi, it's me, Good Poster. I see that this thread is about the TV show, Lovecraft Country. Let me tell you all about how I didn't like the film The Last Jedi.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah I've really turned around on the show these last two episodes. The first two were fine, but they were a bit rompy. Then the season effectively rebooted and I had to work out what was going on.

But yes, I like it. It's aggressively modern for a period piece, but it's also aggressively meta and playing with pulp fiction tropes. (In a straightforwardly honest way, as opposed to e.g. Westworld, which is the same thing with more pretention). Curious to see where it goes in Season Two, after it runs out of material. Though this last episode gave me a lot of confidence.

Where did they film the Hospital btw? Some of the Korean stuff was set builds, but did they actually film overseas?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 25, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xealot posted:

"This director many people like is actually a hack. It can't possibly be that art is subjective and I simply don't connect with the style or themes present in his movies. I am the sole arbiter of quality and have decreed that anyone who disagrees is actually a Reptilian with a bad brain, because the alternative would be that my feelings aren't facts and THAT is inconceivable!"

Can we post this at the top of every thread in TV IV?

Xealot posted:

I started to disconnect from Lovecraft Country until I rewired my expectations for it. It's not "good" in a prestige sense and that's not a problem. It's more of a Strange Tales pulp comic brought to life, with episodic stories that happen to overlap characters. It doesn't feel like "an HBO drama" (more like something that'd be on STARZ or FX or something.) Not everything has to be a David Simon project.

This has been a part of HBO's brand for a while though, hasn't it? True Blood, Westworld, Lovecraft Country, and presumably the upcoming JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon projects too.

Edit: the pulp thing, not the episodic thing.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 28, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

Ruby's actress owns. Wunmi Mosaku, never heard of her before this

She's very good in the second season of In The Flesh. That's where I primarily know her from at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

I think she's supposed to be more played like she wishes she was a guy, or that she wishes she had the privilege's guys have.

Yeah, they're queer and a woman, but also rich and white. It's a complex interaction that I don't think the show has given us enough pieces to understand.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Excellent. No comment on the episode, except to say that I've missed seeing Regina Taylor on screen.

Irrelevant aside: the more I think about it, the more that it's obvious to me that this show isn't remotely interested in adopting the tone of Lovecraft's work. I think that put a lot of people off from watching an excellent show. *shrug* Their loss.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Master_Odin posted:

I think Ruby is dead and that you can take Christiana at her word on this, and that lying about killing would not serve any real purpose. It's purely a "I caught Ruby and she's dead, but I promised to keep you alive." line delivered relatively straight faced, with no verbal follow-up to indicate a deeper purpose or meaning.

I think she's alive. You can see her in a coma during Ji-Ah's vision at the end.

I mean, Christina could have shoved a pillow over her face after she got what she needed, but I don't think so.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

untzthatshit posted:

I figured it was Christina as soon as she handed over the blood before they got in the car. Ruby's been cold as ice this whole show and all of a sudden she has a change of heart? And the way she was like "you're my sister I love you so much" just seemed disingenuous immediately preceding the cemetery scene where she was very clearly like "you only wanna be my sister when you need something from me".

White feminism.txt

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Abbey Lee Kershaw is an Australian fashion model who was cast because of her resemblance to Jordan Patrick Smith. I have to imagine she was initially going to be a minor part and the 'character' was primarily portrayed by the two other actors.

She was a last minute recast after Elizabeth Debicki dropped out. Which explains a lot.

https://discussingfilm.net/2019/05/13/elizabeth-debicki-leaves-hbos-lovecraft-country-due-to-scheduling-conflicts-exclusive/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really wanted to love this series. I love the idea of reclaiming Lovecraft, and the show often looked so gorgeous. Some of the sound track choices were awesome in the second half.

Pacing was a mess though, and the structure was horrendously communicated to the audience by the advertising. God I hated the way it would randomly descend into camp, like the werewolf baying shoggoth in the finale. I can see why it would get a vote of no confidence right now.

No idea what HBO's brand is gonna be moving forward. They've got to be careful not to turn into Netflix.