Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Loved the first episode; both the intro and the final scenes were amazing. However, did I miss something with that phone call that Atticus made? I didn't get what he was doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like the episodic plots a lot more than the big overaching plot; I like that the last few episodes have centered on the supporting cast (though I'm sad that we won't get an Uncle George episode).

radlum
May 13, 2013
I know little of the Korean War so can someone tell me if any of it was fought in trenches like the one we saw in Atticus fantasy on the pilot?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Xealot posted:

My reading of the trenches was that they're from pro-war propaganda films Tic watched as a child, which would all have been set in WW1. Assuming he's in his 20's now, he was a child in the 20's/30's, and would've been right in the splash zone for Wings or The Big Parade or All Quiet on the Western Front. I'm sure the dream was also recalling his own experiences in Korea, but the grainy B&W that fades in and out definitely evokes that period of war movie.

Yeah, just wanted to know if Tic's actual war experience was anything like in that fantasy sequence; when he fantasizes about his role as a soldier, he doesn't think of his actual experience, but in the pro-war propaganda that he might have seen when he was younger. I think it adds an interesting layer to that sequence.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Just as a quick aside, Christina actually turned off her invulnerability during that beating, which was why those guys could even touch her. She manages to activate it again after getting dunked in the water, but for a brief moment there she could have actually died.

I'm still trying to understand what she was doing in that scene, but I just wanted to point out that she didn't have complete control and if she had gotten knocked out or otherwise been unable to speak then she could have actually died.

I missed that, but it makes sense. I hope Christina's motives end up making sense and being interesting. I can stand the police captain being a flat villain, but I feel that we should see more in Christina and so far I haven't cared about her, though what I've seen on this thread today has made me realize there might be something more about her.

radlum
May 13, 2013

GreenMetalSun posted:

I want to believe it's because she cares about Ruby and wants to connect with/understand her on some level, but in my heart, I know she's evil.

Also, Tic did Ji-Ah incredibly dirty, like she showed up to help you not die because she cares about you. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, Ji-Ah traveled all the way to the USA to warn Tic and he just shouts at her and treats her poorly (though I don't get why was Leti upset as well, did Tic ever say that he hadn't dated anyone before her or something like that?); I'll be sad if that's the last we see of her on the series.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Excellent. No comment on the episode, except to say that I've missed seeing Regina Taylor on screen.

Irrelevant aside: the more I think about it, the more that it's obvious to me that this show isn't remotely interested in adopting the tone of Lovecraft's work. I think that put a lot of people off from watching an excellent show. *shrug* Their loss.

To be fair, I don't think the book did that either. The whole "Lovecraft" thing in both the book and the series is so tenous that I guess the author just wanted a cool name.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I get that Cristina was supposed to be White Feminism, but did she also have to be such a boring villain? The Handmaid's Tale went off the rails as soon as the 2nd Season, but at least it had great performers like Ann Dowd and Yvonne Strahovski portraying nuanced characters. The best than can Cristina could give us was some genuine feelings for Ruby and the series doesn't do much with it.

What a waste of Ji-Ah; it is very annoying that HBO has had 2 shows about racism in the US that did poorly when dealing with its Asian characters.

Overall, this series showed me that a TV show can have great individual episodes, but can be a mess when taken as a whole season. I don't feel interested in a second season, though at least this worked to give Majors a bigger showcase of his talent. Hope he goes on to do better stuff.

radlum
May 13, 2013

This changes everything; Christina was such a flat character for me, a good performer like Debicki could have done a lot more to salvage it (or maybe there were changes to the character once they lost Debicki and had to recast with some with less experience than her?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

anothergod posted:

Didn't miss anything! I don't know where Yahima's story arc could've gone, but it was definitely squelched pretty fast

Edit: Re vvv
Yeah I don't know how well it was handled, but I understood it as Montrose does hosed up things when he's scared, and he's scared of magic. Even to a bigger extreme than Ji-Ah, the show used Yahima as a prop. Pretty unfortunate.

It's pretty disgusting how Montrose just kills a person, gets yelled at and a beating and nothing else happens. He murdered someone innocent in cold blood and nothing is made about it.